Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Don't pay him if the first thing he does is badmouth the thing he's paid to shill? It's not that hard.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
It's the interaction aspect. Fans adore their favorite streamer and want to be part of the "in-group". They want to influence him with their retarded ideas and feel like they achieved something by proxy. This is the Youtube Let's Play/Twitch stream audience:
dJ7RoRY.jpg

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Streaming in general is cancer I agree. X-com live-streamed is fun though, if it is a rather small stream so you can get your name on a soldier. Of course much enjoyment depends on the streamer, but people who stream these kind of games are usually older and "mature". Battle Brothers has some of the same qualities I find.

Could be that it is part of personal nostalgia though - from the time when you and your friend took turns in front of the computer, talking about what was going on on the screen.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Game streamers are a hit-and-miss affair. Sometimes it's for novelty's sake, like having the fans dictate your actions in-game. That can sometimes be amusing. Sometimes they're doing it for charity, or raising awareness of an issue. It's hard to point a finger at those kind of things and say that they're bad.

But there are, unfortunately, a virtually innumerable amount of streamers that are just streaming while they're gaming on an everyday basis. Maybe they pick an old game and stream that with little to no interaction with the audience, and somehow manage to suck out all the possible joy of a off-the-beaten-path livestreaming event. Sometimes they accidentally create some interesting content, hence why there exists a YouTube channel called "LivestreamFails".

So finding a good streamer is actually a challenge. I've found exactly one streamer I enjoy watching. His secret is to only stream 2-3 times a month, he picks his games carefully and he studies them beforehand, while also talking about the relevant time period for the game. In short, he's got his act together. His audience doesn't even break triple digit figures, but that means that the people that tune in can interact more easily with him, and with one another, thereby creating a small community in the chat.

Judging by that anecdotal evidence, I'd say that the secret to being a good streamer is to have a small, dedicated audience, while knowing what you're doing.

I think in the beginning of time the people who were making the game uis were the coders who also played games. Things were clunky but you also had lots of elements and options that were visible at all times. At worst you have an excel spreadsheet pretending to be a game interface. At best the interface simply fades in and you don't really notice it. It takes little bit of time to learn it though. After doing the ui design for a while the junior coder finally gets to do what he likes in the company. Engine programming or game design. Nobody wants to do ui design.

The second phase was when it was the artists who made the game uis. Pretty to look at but the good looks came at the cost of usability. If the artist played the game then usability was better. At worst you had some weird idea that looks great but gives you brain aneurysm when you try to navigate the ui. At best the ui makes you go wow this looks wicked without really providing much usability improvements over the last generation. After doing the ui design for a while the artist finally gets to do what he likes in the company. Which is art design or game design. Nobody wants to do ui design.

The third phase is when you have actual ui designers creating interfaces. People who studied things like ergonomics and usability. Depending what their abilities are you can end up with literally everything from pure failure to new great designs. Sadly now the artists from last generation are their bosses and want the game to look good on their ipad and don't understand anything else. They want less stuff on screen and prefer going through huge inventories one by one swiping and licking their touch screens. Nobody else wants to do ui design.

The fourth phase is when the ui is designed by committees. All that matters is the interface looks good on video or that it has some awesomely frustrating gimmick. They put the coder back doing ui design who has been happily doing c++ pixel magic for the last 10 years. All iterations of the ui is play tested with 5 year old kids and anything complex is removed. Players can not be expected to learn anything. People who buy the game create a proper ui for the game as mods. Everybody but the developers want to be ui designers.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
The decision of splittin MGSV into Ground zeroes and TPP wasn’t from Kojimbo, and according of some reports all went downhill from there. Forcing the dev team to scrap the whole third act of the game included.

Also, what really killed the franchise are the MGS3 pachinko remake and MG Survive, things that portrait the completely mislead from Konami. Same with Silent hill and Castlevania. All turned into pachinko, not even B games being developed anymore.

tl;dr Konami is the devil and it must be stopped.

Tehdagah

Arcane
The decision of splittin MGSV into Ground zeroes and TPP wasn’t from Kojimbo, and according of some reports all went downhill from there. Forcing the dev team to scrap the whole third act of the game included.
That's because Kojima blew the game's budget out of proportion and kept on pushing its release date. After 5 years of development and 80 millions (!!!) invested the game wasn't even finished, and apparently Kojima wanted to push its release date again.

Also, what really killed the franchise are the MGS3 pachinko remake and MG Survive, things that portrait the completely mislead from Konami. Same with Silent hill and Castlevania. All turned into pachinko, not even B games being developed anymore..
They weren't "turned into pachinko" since slot-machines based on games and anime always existed:
https://www.pachislomarket.com/1
It's a extremely common thing in Japan.

Fox engine... R.I.P.
Years building a engine that promised 60fps open-world games but had to sacrifice vertically to archive the desired frame-rate. How can a company compete against other open-world games with such a limited engine?

30fps Far Cry 5 will probably sell in one month more than MGSV sold in its entire lifespan. Kojima wasn't a good vice-president.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"If only you could talk to these creatures, then perhaps you could try and make friends with them, form alliances... Now that would be interesting." - Edge Magazine, 1994

https://www.pcgamer.com/help-demons...heir-crappy-jobs-in-the-doom-mod-mr-friendly/

Help demons come to terms with their crappy jobs in the Doom mod 'Mr. Friendly'

One of my odd little videogame quirks is that I always try to wait for new enemies I encounter to take the first shot. As a child, I had this strange, faint idea that maybe if I didn't shoot, they wouldn't either—that maybe my restraint would lead me down some super-secret path to videogame glory that all the trigger-happy chumps out there (which is to say, everyone but me) were too dumb to figure out.

It never worked out that way, obviously, and 95 percent of my videogame problems continue to be solved at the end of a virtual gun. But a new Doom mod called Mr. Friendly, created by former 2K and Double Fine developer (and noted Doom fan) JP LeBreton, delivers that sort of fanciful outcome by converting one of the most notoriously violent FPSes in history into an opportunity to talk it out.

The titular Mr. Friendly—that's you—is a demon too, but one of the good guys: A Guardian Demon who talks with the other demons to help them chill out, and maybe work through their feelings a bit, after the Doomslayer has rampaged through the area. Instead of killing things, "the point is to chill out, do quests, interact with stuff, and more": One such quest involves catching a Dopefish for an imp named Hylozoist, who's looking for a low-maintenance first pet for his kid. (All the demons in the mod have names, and yes, you can go fishing.)

Switches, doors, and level exits work as they normally do, but there's also an inventory, crafting, a "to do" list that tracks quests, and a walk/fly toggle that doesn't require an "IDsomethingsomething" cheat code. It's almost a total conversion, and it will work with any Doom Iwad and "a majority of user-created vanilla Doom levels."

Mr. Friendly is a "playable alpha" and so there's still some placeholder art and a few known bugs and missing bits. LeBreton said on Twitter that there are roughly 10,000 "joyful, goofy, densely referential" works of dialog in the mod, and the "known issues" page promises "tons of writing" to come, including "variations for quest briefings, monster names, item descriptions, [and] monster small talk." It requires GZDoom 3.3 or later to operate, and can be had for free from Itch.io.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
That's because Kojima blew the game's budget out of proportion and kept on pushing its release date. After 5 years of development and 80 millions (!!!) invested the game wasn't even finished, and apparently Kojima wanted to push its release date again.

And even after sabotaging the game's development, MGSV was a huge commercial success. Profit got higly increased at the end of 2015: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...shes-konami-digital-profits-up-by-150-percent

So no, the only reason to take a chapter from the main game and selling it separatedly is greed. And bad vision. They just should have trusted in Kojimbo, no matter how much budget he spent in flowers for Stefanie joosten.

They weren't "turned into pachinko" since slot-machines based on games and anime always existed:
https://www.pachislomarket.com/1
It's a extremely common thing in Japan.

That does not eliminate the cynicism of turning beloved videogame franchises in gambling. It is a disgrace, no matter how much time it has been done before. Dude, remember Silent hill? One of the most ambicious narrative and atmospheric psychological horror game series of all time? is a fucking slot machine now.

Years building a engine that promised 60fps open-world games but had to sacrifice vertically to archive the desired frame-rate. How can a company compete against other open-world games with such a limited engine?

30fps Far Cry 5 will probably sell in one month more than MGSV sold in its entire lifespan. Kojima wasn't a good vice-president.

The key of Fox engine as an engine was make the creation of multiplatforms games easier. Not just Metal gear, but also others games as Pro evolution soccer. And it has been used since then. Also, MGSV includes vertical environments like Code talker's mansion and surroundings. It's not a engine limitiation or whatsoever.

The next Cal of diuti will sell more than those two games together. It would be a good example of anything?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom