Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
I like how Lacrymas and others seriously responded to a new poster named Eisenheinrich from Germania sporting an Aryan-like avatar. He's most definitely a genuine newcomer.

Newcomer will become friends as time goes by.

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Newfags and their usual unfounded opinions and pretensions of speaking from a high vantage point...

PoE2 is not going to be a bad game, but it's going to be repetitive (at least at release) and derivative, having no ambitions and it won't stir positive passions. At most, it will have some good moments that will be drowned out by meh-ness. It won't feel rushed like PoE1, though, so that's good.

Truth be told, you were the one person I refered to. You seem to be a rather unpleasant person.
Bisexuals are always unpleasant.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Regarding comment of Prime Junta. It's type of neutral positive comment one would give to a product they do not enjoy but can't fault for any clear reason either. It in fact feels like a faux compliment one would make as a diplomatic statement to appear neutral while also displaying a clear disdain, an empty assertion that's supposed to not show personal opinion but belies vitriol. More of a clever insult in a public platform with responsibility of objectivity but a desire to belittle. Ascribing artisanship to what should be a work of creativity.

Last edited:

Prime Junta

TBH I've been getting a bit burned out on the whole genre. It's just endless repetition of a handful of basic themes, over and over again. You've got your Fallout clones, your Baldur's Gate etc. clones with your choice of TB or RTwP combat, your hiking simulators in both kinds of settings, and that's it. Good for mindless fun but nothing more than that.

Once in a blue moon something different comes out and usually faceplants.

If Disco Elysium disappoints, I'm quitting RPGs. I'll go back to nerding out on flight sims.

Won't stop me from bitching about them here though. Neener neener.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
Regarding comment of Prime Junta. It's type of neutral positive comment one would give to a product they do not enjoy but can't fault for any clear reason either. It in fact feels like a faux compliment one would make as a diplomatic statement to appear neutral while also displaying a clear disdain, an empty assertion that's supposed to not show personal opinion but belies vitriol. More of a clever insult in a public platform with responsibility of objectivity but a desire to belittle. Ascribing artisanship to what should be a work of creativity.
In a word, a very french post.

FreeKaner

It's clear, we need more urban fantasy. The wealth of real world history, mythology and occultism to become the foundation without any need to reinvent the wheel combined with unadulterated creativity of fantasy. The possibilities are endless.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
The game isn't going to be anything earth-shattering, but nor was the first. In fact it's probably going to be inferior to the first due to the changes made to character progression and combat mechanics. The combat of the first game gets a lot of unwarranted shit (unwarranted because it massively improved post-WM and the statistics are pretty clear about how many people finished the game on Path of the Damned difficulty, controlling for the number of people who actually bothered to finish the game) by armchairkin, but it was its best feature. Still, I trust Sawyer and co. to keep tinkering with it the way they did for the first game, which worked out very well for them.

pomenitul

Arbiter
I am as burnt out on CRPGs as I am on FreeKaner's – a poster I otherwise appreciate – calculated overuse of the dumpster fire trope. But don't let that stop you. In the words of John Cage, 'If something is boring after two minutes, try it for four. If still boring, then eight. Then sixteen. Then thirty-two. Eventually one discovers that it is not boring at all.'

FreeKaner

I am as burnt out on CRPGs as I am on FreeKaner's – a poster I otherwise appreciate – calculated overuse of the dumpster fire trope. But don't let that stop you. In the words of John Cage, 'If something is boring after two minutes, try it for four. If still boring, then eight. Then sixteen. Then thirty-two. Eventually one discovers that it is not boring at all.'

Life is an acquired taste.

Fry

Arcane
If Disco Elysium disappoints, I'm quitting RPGs. I'll go back to nerding out on flight sims.

As someone who obsessed over flight sims when he was younger but had to give up on them because who has that much fucking time in the day...

Flying is extremely repetitive.

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
The game isn't going to be anything earth-shattering, but nor was the first. In fact it's probably going to be inferior to the first due to the changes made to character progression and combat mechanics. The combat of the first game gets a lot of unwarranted shit (unwarranted because it massively improved post-WM and the statistics are pretty clear about how many people finished the game on Path of the Damned difficulty, controlling for the number of people who actually bothered to finish the game) by armchairkin, but it was its best feature. Still, I trust Sawyer and co. to keep tinkering with it the way they did for the first game, which worked out very well for them.

Exactly. I for myself just want a game that remind me on the enthusiasm I experienced while playing BG 2 for the first time. PoE wasn't the 2nd coming of Christ in that regard, but at least it was more fun than replaying IWD for the 10th time. Is it nostalgia? Kinda. But there were some good moments here and there and then some awesome stuff in WM that I enjoyed. Nothing near the awe of playing BG 2 at the tender age of 12 but those times aren't coming back. It's like new Star Wars. Everytime a new movie is announced you're afraid they suck (they do) but there's still the hope it will bring back the magic of seeing ANH for the first time with your dad. At least, PoE had it's moments, was nice too look at and provided solid roleplay.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath

Even though that's taken out of context, he says that as a quotation from Zen philosophies, John Cage likes to lie a lot, imagine or creatively interpret his inspirations. If you are interested in John Cage, his views and his overall art, I can send you a very interesting and professional dissertation about the subject.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath

Even though that's taken out of context, he says that in a "Zen" context, John Cage likes to lie a lot, imagine or creatively interpret his inspirations. If you are interested in John Cage, his views and his overall art, I can send you a very interesting and professional dissertation about the subject.

I read this article about two years ago which was pretty illuminating with respect to his thinking.

Parabalus

Arcane
Newfags and their usual unfounded opinions and pretensions of speaking from a high vantage point...

PoE2 is not going to be a bad game, but it's going to be repetitive (at least at release) and derivative, having no ambitions and it won't stir positive passions. At most, it will have some good moments that will be drowned out by meh-ness. It won't feel rushed like PoE1, though, so that's good.

The chief complaint here about PoE1 was that it wasn't/isn't derivative enough.
PoE 1.0 was great for the virgin playthrough and I doubt Deadfire will be worse, by all signs it will be better.

I really wonder which RPGs of the last 10 years you don't consider derivative though.

It's not going to be a bad game. It's going to be exactly what it says on the box.

It's even likely it'll be a very good game. A solid, workmanlike game with a lot of solid, workmanlike stuff in it. Good for tens or even hundreds of hours of good, clean, harmless entertainment. Just not particularly innovative or original.

It will also likely sell over a million copies and be critically acclaimed, especially amongst "nerds". In other words:

dumpsterfire_2.png

This needs to be made into an emote already. Infinitron pls

Quillon

Arcane
I for myself just want a game that remind me on the enthusiasm I experienced while playing BG 2 for the first time.

You are delusional as fuck. Wait a minute... whole fucking codex is delusional as fuck! :D

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom