Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

"literally piracy"

Phanax

Novice
Patron
So apparently the majority of licensed music from GTA 4's ingame radio stations will be removed soon because the licenses have expired. Of course pirates now have the superior version because this won't happen to their copies. In the reddit thread about the topic, it did bring up the discussion of how DRM-free games would be less affected by this issue because even if an updated installer was made that had the songs removed, so long as you had made a backup of an older installer, you'd be unaffected and could just reinstall using this superior version (not applicable to GTA 4 though, just a hypothetical).

This would surely be OK right? I mean you did buy the game, you did download it from the official download source, so no worries?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comm...a_4_removes_songs_from_the/dy0z7qz/?context=3

You do not own anythhing but a license to use with or without DRM.

Your license may still get revoked, it is just as likely as it is with DRM.

For a DRM-free game, after a license revoke, you can continue playing it since you may launch the game still, but that is literally piracy.

Literally piracy my convict arse. I don't even think these people are actual shills, they just so far up publishers arseholes that they don't know what fresh air smells like anymore.

Cael

Arcane
I don't know about that. If you bought something, it is yours. If you RENTED something, then they can declare that something is no longer under license.

For example, you bought a CD of an album or a video of a movie. They can't suddenly revoke your purchase and call you a pirate for owning a copy.
If you RENTED the same thing, then they can change the terms for the NEXT rental period, and then you are in strife.

I would think that there is a legal grey area there for people that bought the game, unless it was stipulated in the T&C that you didn't buy the game, but are renting it.

Mustawd

For a DRM-free game, after a license revoke, you can continue playing it since you may launch the game still, but that is literally piracy

This person sounds like a 13 year old. Anyhow, what they need to do is read the terms and conditions and yadda yadda yadda. It spells out that you can use it as is, barring some exceptions:

2.1 We give you and other GOG users the personal right (known legally as a 'licence') to use GOG services and to download and/or stream (depending on the content) and use GOG content. This licence is for your personal use. We can stop or suspend this licence in some situations, which are explained later on.

2.2 When you buy or install GOG games, you might have to agree to additional contract terms with the developer/publisher of the game (e.g. they might ask you to agree to a game specific End User Licence Agreement). If there is any inconsistency or dispute between those ‘EULAs’ and this Agreement, then this Agreement wins.

These exceptions are spelled out in the individual game EULA, which to me talks to games that require you to use specific platforms. Think Ubisoft's Uplay, for example. In those cases most of the content is handled by that specific platform. Which basically means you must be connected to the internet to play. And you must be connected to their platform to play. So in those cases it's basically gaming in the cloud, and any kind of workaround would be against the EULA, in which case i would be piracy. But of course this would be piracy regardless of GOG.

For the majority of GoG games, you are able to install the game and run it at your discretion. Think about this: What if I was to download a GoG game onto my PC, move to Alaska, and have no internet. Of course, I'm able to enjoy the game on my PC, with no updates, because I paid for the game as is. Connecting to the internet is an option I have. But it's not obligatory for me to play GoG games. Again, outside some specific situations.

So yah, that poster sounds like he's 13 years old. I hope he is. Because otherwise, that's kind of sad tbh.

mck

Cipher
This reminds me of when I would see fucking morons on GameFAQs in like 2005 shaming people and telling them to support the devs of Panzer Dragoon Saga by buying a used copy off of ebay for $200 without a shred of irony

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Literally piracy my convict arse
It's "literally piracy" in the modern sense of piracy, which just means copyright/license infringement. This has never had any relation to actual piracy, which means "an act of robbery or criminal violence by ship or boat-borne attackers upon another ship or a coastal area, typically with the goal of stealing cargo and other valuable items or properties."

This is another excellent example of why modern copyright and licensing is bonkers though. And therefore why piracy is sometimes morally allowed.

Cael

Arcane
For a DRM-free game, after a license revoke, you can continue playing it since you may launch the game still, but that is literally piracy

This person sounds like a 13 year old. Anyhow, what they need to do is read the terms and conditions and yadda yadda yadda. It spells out that you can use it as is, barring some exceptions:

2.1 We give you and other GOG users the personal right (known legally as a 'licence') to use GOG services and to download and/or stream (depending on the content) and use GOG content. This licence is for your personal use. We can stop or suspend this licence in some situations, which are explained later on.

2.2 When you buy or install GOG games, you might have to agree to additional contract terms with the developer/publisher of the game (e.g. they might ask you to agree to a game specific End User Licence Agreement). If there is any inconsistency or dispute between those ‘EULAs’ and this Agreement, then this Agreement wins.

These exceptions are spelled out in the individual game EULA, which to me talks to games that require you to use specific platforms. Think Ubisoft's Uplay, for example. In those cases most of the content is handled by that specific platform. Which basically means you must be connected to the internet to play. And you must be connected to their platform to play. So in those cases it's basically gaming in the cloud, and any kind of workaround would be against the EULA, in which case i would be piracy. But of course this would be piracy regardless of GOG.

For the majority of GoG games, you are able to install the game and run it at your discretion. Think about this: What if I was to download a GoG game onto my PC, move to Alaska, and have no internet. Of course, I'm able to enjoy the game on my PC, with no updates, because I paid for the game as is. Connecting to the internet is an option I have. But it's not obligatory for me to play GoG games. Again, outside some specific situations.

So yah, that poster sounds like he's 13 years old. I hope he is. Because otherwise, that's kind of sad tbh.
The cloud thing was being challenged in the Willis vs iTunes case. What happened to that one, anyway?

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
This is a stupid argument.

The music licensing binds Rockstar to the music right holder ; they cannot distribute the music when the right expires, but they can do nothing about what's being distributed.

Let's suppose you bought a CD album from an artist you love. A few months later, said artist changes major company, and all his recording rights are transfered to said music. With that sound above logic, listening to your CD should now be piracy and the previous record company should issue a total and mandatory recall of all issued CDs.

The Internet is giving people access to a lot of concepts they do not understand but yet feel they are sound enough to make assumptions and discussions about.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
The technical legality is beside the point as far as I see it. If I install the game and that music is missing I'll fucking mod it in because it should be there. It would be disgraceful if I had to do that, but I would

Mark Richard

Arcane
In 2012 Vice City was removed from Steam and re-released, minus several classic songs. Everyone who had purchased the game before then had access to the previous version with the full soundtrack. It's perfectly legal to play the game you paid for regardless of whatever deal the developer struck with a third party record label. When music licences expire, Rockstar have to stop selling the game. They don't have to stop it being played.

Unfortunately that courtesy didn't extend to San Andreas a couple of years later, when the full version was overwritten and owners were supplied with a lesser copy.

Gerrard

Arcane
And people will still defend Rockstar even though this is the third (?) time they do this.

Ash

Arcane
R* are too far gone.

Dumbed down games, GTA online is a microtransaction fest, the shuttering of mod attempts like GTAV multiplayer or whatever it was because it would conflict with their anti-consumerist milking haven, and now this.

Just make a Manhunt 3 you greedy fucks, and don't mess it up. Since that is basically impossible in this day and age, do the honourable thing and commit corporate seppuku.

Cynicus

Augur
So, I'm up early this morning. I haven't had Steam running for a few days, so I thought I'd load it up and take a look at my wishlist to see if anything is on sale while I have my breakfast. Hey, something's downloading...I wonder what it is. GTA IV?!? 225.2MB? Dafuq? Did they finally fix this shitty port or at least remove GFWL in celebration of the 10th anniversary or something? So I go to GTA Forums to see wassup. ...removed a shitload of music and only replaced a handful....no bug fixes....fucked up localizations apparently....

Fucking hell, I still screw around in IV every once in a while. Anyway, downgraders are already about for both IV and EFLC if anybody gives a shit. Haven't tried 'em myself so can't verify anything.

R*/2K will probably be happy to give everyone a 0.001% discount on shark cards for the inconvenience.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
So apparently the majority of licensed music from GTA 4's ingame radio stations will be removed soon because the licenses have expired. Of course pirates now have the superior version because this won't happen to their copies. In the reddit thread about the topic, it did bring up the discussion of how DRM-free games would be less affected by this issue because even if an updated installer was made that had the songs removed, so long as you had made a backup of an older installer, you'd be unaffected and could just reinstall using this superior version (not applicable to GTA 4 though, just a hypothetical).

This would surely be OK right? I mean you did buy the game, you did download it from the official download source, so no worries?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comm...a_4_removes_songs_from_the/dy0z7qz/?context=3

You do not own anythhing but a license to use with or without DRM.

Your license may still get revoked, it is just as likely as it is with DRM.

For a DRM-free game, after a license revoke, you can continue playing it since you may launch the game still, but that is literally piracy.

RKvqwGQ.jpg

Let sail seven seas.

Mustawd

It's "literally piracy" in the modern sense of piracy, which just means copyright/license infringement.

Source? That doesn't sound right at all.

We give you and other GOG users the personal right (known legally as a 'licence') to use GOG services and to download and/or stream (depending on the content) and use GOG content.

GOG gives you a license to download the thing you bought. It says nothing about suspending that license if you have the downloaded .exe on your PC before any updates are made.

To me it's like owning a unabridged version of the book. Just because an abridged version comes out later doesn't mean you owning the old version is illegal in any way. Not sure where you're getting this from.

Again, you don't have to use GOG's platform at all to play your games. Assuming you don't use GOG's platform, how exactly are they going to update your game?

Cael

Arcane
GOG gives you a license to download the thing you bought. It says nothing about suspending that license if you have the downloaded .exe on your PC before any updates are made.

To me it's like owning a unabridged version of the book. Just because an abridged version comes out later doesn't mean you owning the old version is illegal in any way. Not sure where you're getting this from.

Again, you don't have to use GOG's platform at all to play your games. Assuming you don't use GOG's platform, how exactly are they going to update your game?
This has the makings of a lawsuit all over it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom