Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Black Geyser erupts on Kickstarter

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness; GrapeOcean Technologies

In case you haven't heard of it, Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness is an upcoming Infinity Engine-like fantasy RPG by an international team of indie developers who call themselves GrapeOcean Technologies. For the past three years, it's been amusing us with its obviously amateur writing, bizarre fantasy terminology, clueless "evangelists", and a constantly delayed Kickstarter campaign. Not to mention that title, ahem ahem. And yet, GrapeOcean are clearly more than just a bunch of kids with a website. They've released two gameplay videos revealing a functional and fairly attractive game, albeit one that's hilariously derivative of Pillars of Eternity. And they've tried to go beyond the typical high fantasy setup by centering Black Geyser around the thematic element of greed, depicted as a divine curse that affects the entire world and is impacted by the player's actions, similar to Chaos in the Dishonored series. Which also sounds like it could be pretty annoying, but hey.

Back in 2016, I promised that if GrapeOcean ever launched their Kickstarter campaign for Black Geyser, I would write a newspost about it. And what do you know, yesterday the absolute madmen actually did it. Here's the pitch video, which after a short introductory cutscene reveals a few of the faces behind this unlikely project.

Inspired by Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and other classics, Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness is an isometric, party-based, single-player RPG set in the new fantasy world of Yerengal. The story focuses on Isilmerald, the largest, most racially diverse kingdom in Yerengal ruled by a human lineage. The game is coming to Windows, Mac and Linux on Steam and GoG. Key features include:
  • Greed. It's spreading all the time in the kingdom, directly affecting gameplay. You can slow this process with your actions—or speed it up if you prefer.
  • Party of up to 5 characters. You start with a single protagonist. Additional NPCs join you later if you choose to accept them. Every NPC boasts a rich, complex personality and past.
  • Choose from several races, classes and skills during character generation.
  • Real-time-with-pause (RTwP) gameplay: pause the game at any time.
  • Rich lore and storyline. Hundreds of quests.
  • Tactical combat. Powerful magic. Clear, slot-based spell system.
  • Deep NPC interactions. Complex dialogues and persuasion.
  • Hand-made, beautiful graphics.
  • Free-roaming exploration in wilderness and subterranean areas.

GrapeOcean are looking to raise €50,000 to complete the development of Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness. If you'd like to be infested by greed too, you can secure a copy for just €16, with beta access available at €85. Maybe if we reach a stretch goal we can get them to bring back the Crushmaster.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Backed.

:takemymoney:

These guys have given us too much entertainment already to not give them some money. I hope they come good, but even if they don't I feel I got my money's worth out the forum thread.

thekdawg21

Augur
Project: Eternity
The greed system sounds thematically cool, but mechanically sounds like a paragon meter. The intro cinematic straight outta '98 was pretty well dope, but I'm not convinced this is nothing more than a Mobile Marketing Manager's fever dream/scam with that pitch. Don't get my black geyser risin' without finishing me off, GrapeOcean.

Sizzle

Arcane
I'm not sure if the Kickstarter campaign will succeed, but I love that type of game, so - pledged.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, I think I'm going to back this just so we can see what happens if it actually gets funded. :P It probably won't though.

f8303b94335ed67040beb6dc9a37b00b_original.png

It is now confirmed. Balancing takes 11% of games budget! It is only natural that this number should consist of two identical digits. :)

ortucis

Prophet
Sick and tired of this Infinity engine shite.

• Greed. It's spreading all the time in the kingdom, directly affecting gameplay. You can slow this process with your actions—or speed it up if you prefer.

It's that simple huh?

• Party of up to 5 characters. You start with a single protagonist. Additional NPCs join you later if you choose to accept them. Every NPC boasts a rich, complex personality and past.

Babysit one character or five, all with generic personalities and histories as inspired by Infinity engine games.

• Rich lore and storyline. Hundreds of quests.

I hope the lore isn't as "rich" as recent Obsidian crapware with generic quests.

• Deep NPC interactions. Complex dialogues and persuasion.

NPC's are brain-dead. Confirmed.

• Free-roaming exploration in wilderness and subterranean areas.

Free-roaming exploration in an Infinity engine inspired game? It could either mean that they spent a lot of time detailing the world, telling the story through environment AND dialogues. Or it just means you get to pointlessly wander collecting random loot while completing those HUNDREDS of side quests.

Bocian

Arcane
all with generic personalities and histories as inspired by Infinity engine games.
To be honest, with what we're given in modern RPG's, I'd rather have generic, but somewhat mature personalities than tryhard snowflakes. Pro tip, making the npc's hair blue and making them a non-human race doesn't equal interesting.

Big Wrangle

If the game on release turns out to be a superbly written satire of the genre, with the devs posts being pure trolling, I'm gonna eat sand.

Big Wrangle

The final boss will be an alchemist putting chemicals in the water that turned the couriers into geysers.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Several posters in this thread express uncomfortable with the idea of greed infested the world.

Too close to heart, izzatit?
Nah, we just think we don't need a dark goddess to enjoy our native human greed. We can do greedy well enough ourselves.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom