Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex Interview: Chris Avellone on Pillars Cut Content, Game Development Hierarchies and More

Mustawd

By the way, fat women aren't responsible for being fat

Umm. wot? Did fat women do something wrong? Chubs rule. We gon fight soon Blaine. I see it. Don't fuck with my chubs.

Movie Fridays where the company takes a workday field trip across the street to see the latest and greatest blockbuster movies

Inb4 these are just Feargus home movies.

2house2fly

Magister
Oh yeah. It would be bad form to go airing dirty laundry like that in public.

Hello everyone, I'm from Something Awful and I genuinely can't tell the difference between blowing the whistle on shitty treatment of employees and publicly announcing that individuals are afflicted by this or that mental illnesses.

By the way, fat women aren't responsible for being fat, should never be mocked, and refusing to date them is sexist; but short men are responsible for not being tall, mocking them is hilarious, and women are entitled to their preferences. Only short, involuntarily celibate fucking white males find this even remotely hypocritical. If you agree, come join us on our forums where we can all agree together for a one-time payment of $10.

3ea5926d53.png
To be honest I assumed "genuine personality disorders" was meant colloquially, as in "massive assholes". Of course, especially since it seems either the colloquial or medical definition could well apply to EFens himself, it was certainly not cool to bring it up. But hey, kept it anonymous at least

Danlok

Novice
Is system shock still happening Chris? Not sure what else you have going on but that project completed is all I want in life

Developer
Why did you stick with Obsidian for so long?

Only the last few years were poor, to be honest. As an owner, it isn’t as easy to leave, either, but it got easier as time went on.

Also, when you’re at a company with the same people for so long, it’s hard to tell what else might be out there or what else you could do – it wasn’t until FTL and Wasteland 2 happened I realized I could do something else, and these projects were nice breaks from the Obsidian routine (and less meetings, more doing things).

Imoens pet

Prospernaut
Shitposter
Why did you stick with Obsidian for so long?

Only the last few years were poor, to be honest. As an owner, it isn’t as easy to leave, either, but it got easier as time went on.

Also, when you’re at a company with the same people for so long, it’s hard to tell what else might be out there or what else you could do – it wasn’t until FTL and Wasteland 2 happened I realized I could do something else, and these projects were nice breaks from the Obsidian routine (and less meetings, more doing things).

I hope everything works out for you man.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Someone summarize the last 20 pages since yesterday please

It’s like this:

Darkest of night with the moon shining bright
There's a set goin' strong; lotta things goin' on
The man of the hour has an air of great power
The dudes have envied him for so long

Oooh, Super Fly
You're gonna make your fortune by and by
But if you lose, don't ask no questions why
The only game you know is do or die
Ah-ha-ha

Hard to understand what a hell of a man
This cat of the slum had a mind, wasn't dumb
But a weakness was shown cause his hustle was wrong
His mind was his own but the man lived alone

Oooh, Super Fly
You're gonna make your fortune by and by
But if you lose, don't ask no questions why
The only game you know is do or die
Ah-ha-ha

The game he plays, he plays for keeps
Hustlin' times and ghetto streets
Tryin' to get over
That's what he tryin' to do, y'all
Taking all that he can take
Gambling with the odds of fate
Tryin' to get over
Tryin' to get over
Tryin' to get over
Tryin' to get over
Woo, Super Fly, huh, huh

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
what's up with the increasingly complex Inconceivable pics
Someone had a go at him for constantly posting the spinning What Am I Reading gif so he started constantly posting something worse

I've noticed that you're really good at being wrong and mistaken all the time about basically everything. That was Kit Walker: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?search/68562112/

However, I'm quite the trend-following fadbeast and decided I needed to get in on that action.

bc118d4def.gif

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hey Chris,

Long time lurker of the site here, I've finally taken the courage to make an account since you're answering questions.

I also have one for you:

I have met and talked to most of the cast you used for Planescape: Torment, however due to natural circumstances - Tony Jay passing on - I can never talk to/find out what kind of person is/was the person behind the voice of The Transcendent One.

In essence, my question is: as far as you remember what was Tony Jay like? How and what did he bring to the studio as you were recording? Any funny stories you can share that happened during the recording?

It's okay to say that he was a boring old man. I'm just curious.

Thank you very much in advance, and I hope that everything works out for you and your family.

sorinmask

Fairfax

Arcane
working on Van Buren before BG3 collapse was a lot of fun

About that, do you remember why something as potentially successful as BG3 ended up being cancelled?
Interplay didn't pay the royalties they owed to Atari (again), so they lost the rights to BG3.

From their 2003 Q3 report:
In February 2003, we amended our license agreement with the holder of the interactive entertainment rights to DUNGEONS & DRAGONS ("D&D"). This license allows us to publish the BALDUR'S GATE, BALDUR'S GATE: DARK ALLIANCE, and ICEWIND DALE titles. Pursuant to this amendment, among other things, we (i) extended the license term for approximately an additional two years to December 31, 2008 for an advance payment on future royalties of approximately $200,000 and (ii) extended our rights with respect to certain of the D&D properties. The amendment terminated our rights to certain titles in the event we are unable to obtain certain third-party waivers in accordance with the terms of the amendment. We were unable to obtain the required waivers within the permitted time period and as a result have lost rights to publish BALDUR'S GATE 3 and its sequels on the PC. Subsequently, we relinquished the rights to publish any future titles using the D&D license in exchange for the DARK ALLIANCE trademark.

Inspirer

Barely Literate
I'm shit at googling or there is still only one article (TechRaptor) about this situation in the whole English-speaking section of the internet? I'm particularly surprised because even in my country, where people don't care all that much about gaming industry dramas, at least three major gaming sites reported this (#1 #2 #3), I also remember stumbling upon a few articles in German.

I always had the impression that western media absolutely LOVES when shit hits the fan, but it seems that in this case everyone decided to play an ostrich and bury their heads in the sand for some reason. The only possible explanation I can think of is that they all afraid of possible retaliation from Obsidian, but come on, Obsidian is Obsidian, not Ubisoft or Activision, they don't have a lot of weight in the global scheme of things.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom