Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex Interview: Chris Avellone on Pillars Cut Content, Game Development Hierarchies and More

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm done reading this shit.

Summary:
MCA invested in bitcoins.
Josh is a cat.
Fergus is a fat fuck.
But there is a chance Project Indiana will not suck.

2house2fly

Magister
It doesn't seem like he reads the whole thread, or surely he'd respond to more questions

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Tired: Josh Sawyer is secretly Roguey
Wired: Chris Avellone is secretly Roguey.

You have to admit stalking Deadfire development as extensively as he does and his idiosyncratic, polarizing code of honor is awfully Roguey-esque.

Viata

Arcane
But, before you think I’m being overly kind, the poorly-performing nepotism hires would, yes, all be let go. They are evident even to the folks still at Obsidian, and it causes problems to this day to see some underperformers getting special treatment for no other reason than, well, "the owner knows them and drinks beer with them."
Those glassdoor reviews were telling the true.

2house2fly

Magister

You have to admit stalking Deadfire development as extensively as he does and his idiosyncratic, polarizing code of honor is awfully Roguey-esque.
Yes, but his active refusal to acknowledge that anyone by the name of Josh Sawyer has ever existed is extremely off-brand

Bohr

Arcane

And there we had Fenstermaker tricked into saluting Roguey posts about how MCA writes too much...

CQT3Dqu4_o.png

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik

And there we had Fenstermaker tricked into saluting Roguey posts about how MCA writes too much...

CQT3Dqu4_o.png

It's not the one post he saluting, I have seen definitely at least one other.

Tom Selleck

Arcane
Did we figure out who the person that had left Obsidian was and who the next few who would be that Chris alluded to?

Also, Chris, what's the story with that weird PDF novelized version of PST that comes with the original GOG (not the EE) edition? Did you write that? Did someone take the game script and try and make it into a book? Should I read it? Is there a bound copy? Can I get it? Can I get you to sign it? If I send you a SASE would you sign it? I have Al Roker's autograph and I feel yours would surpass even his in my esteem.

Sentinel

Arcane
Wouldn't be immensely surprised if Sawyer was the one leaving to develop his own historical turn-based RPG after he got inspired by the success of Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It seemed to me that he didn't dispute that, and blamed the problems they had later on their foolish, optimistic attempt to yet again try to implement all that content instead of immediately telling him to prune it back to what they told him to write.

Plane Escapee

Your friend
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Chris Avellone okay, since I didn't get lucky with my previous question I'll try with something easier but no less significant...
I don't think we'll ever going to see a substantial criticism of Sawyer from Chris. Let me explain.

Sawyer is like a cat. He's a slightly moody and memetic creature, sort of amicable, if not always readily approachable which guarantees that he stays out of politics that could otherwise endanger prospects of him satisfying his feline urges. It follows that as a cat, he can do what he wants most of the time and people grew to accept his fluffy eccentricities. It can be also implied that his circumstance warrants he has a different set of definitions for phenomena such as fun and rewards. Just think about it; for a cat, walking from one side of the room to the other while musing on a fly it slaughtered the other day would be a perfectly fun and rewarding experience, however dull it would be to an average specimen of genus homo. Cat really is a romantic creature, and so is Sawyer. I think Chris realizes that better than almost anyone here because he has actually seen Sawyer's true form–his nature. He knows that criticizing Joshua Sawyer would be practically pointless, as criticism is beyond a cat's interest, or even understanding. Besides, who really wants to punish a cat that just goes about doing cat things? That would be heartless.
Can you confirm or deny whether the one who must not be named is indeed like a cat?

Lots of love,
Your friend,
Plane Escapee

sser

Arcane
Developer
Stingy finances and annoying nepotism are things you’ll find anywhere the employee roster goes past about 5+ names. Not much else to say about that. I took up solo PI hackjobs, tech installations, house inspections, writing BB etc. just to stay away from it. Drama never interested me much, and I feel like I'm hanging outside a water cooler listening to Cubicle Talleyrand and HR Kissinger talk maneuvers when all I want is to sip a lukewarm beverage. That said, if politics interfered with the writing then that seriously sucks. GM/Durance had incredible introductions, but they both felt flat thereafter. Conceptually, I thought the potential of those characters was incredibly deep and that a boat had been missed when they weren't expounded upon.

I don't follow names that much so I honestly don't even recognize half the people being brought up here. Chris Avellone you are one of the few names I know offhand, though. A shame about all this and that. Former friends tend to make the worst of enemies - and former business partners? Oh lord. Seems like a real goatrope and the sort that can summed with a short, "what the fuck?" and a shake of the head. I only wish the best for everyone involved and that maybe someday this shit gets buried. Easier said than done, I'm sure. Anyway, hope all is well for you and yours.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom