Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex Interview: Chris Avellone on Pillars Cut Content, Game Development Hierarchies and More

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
No, I shouldn't ask anyone if I can do my civic duty and report filthy crime. Crime is crime, end of story.

You're able to report this and walk away, if it came to legal action that could mean a whole load of shit MCA actually has to deal with. You may be kind of fucking him over

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
No, I shouldn't ask anyone if I can do my civic duty and report filthy crime. Crime is crime, end of story.

You're able to report this and walk away, if it came to legal action that could mean a whole load of shit MCA actually has to deal with. You may be kind of fucking him over
Like what? Answer a phone call and confirm his words? If there's an audit, it's not MCA's headache.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
The impression one gets from these posts is that Obsidian is riddled with Avellonian moles/sleeper agents who are feeding him information and will be ready to strike when he gives the command
Josh Sawyer. That would explain why Avellone never writes his name on the Codex :].

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
This is going to the IRS today:

681c95eee04022d64e183ccfa312f243.png

It will accomplish nothing, Faergus can always say that she worked as an advisor or whatever else his lawyer will advise him to say so that this won't stick. You have nothing on him currently.

Mustawd

It will accomplish nothing, Faergus can always say that she worked as an advisor or whatever else his lawyer will advise him to do so that this won't stick. You have nothing on him currently.

If the IRS were to investigate they'd prolly talk to others in the company and ask "what did she do for obsidian?". Not just Feargus. That'd be a dumb investigation if it was just Feargus.

Fairfax

Arcane
That Stonekeep 2 cover is beautiful. That reminds me why I love rpgs.
The cover he made for BG3 is beautiful as well:

Eh... not exactly. I remeber it was quest - that's how I called then adventures, and it was in 3D maybe.
Maybe its name included word "Chapters" or something liek that. Maybe it was non-profit project and was a mod first.
I saw it definitely AFTER PS:T, but not far after - like 2000-2002 or something like that.
I'd guess it was the City of Doors Initiative (aka CODI), a NWN1 fan project that started in 2002. IIRC they did create a lot of areas and models, but never a complete module. It didn't have chapters, though. That was Planescape: The Shaper of Dreams, a NWN2 mod.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I'd guess it was the City of Doors Initiative (aka CODI), a NWN1 fan project that started in 2002. IIRC they did create a lot of areas and models, but never a complete module. It didn't have chapters, though. That was Planescape: The Shaper of Dreams, a NWN2 mod.

It's it! Look here. Here come the "chapters".

Planescape: The Shaper of Dreams is the first part of a single-player campaign consisting of six chapters.

You are a magician.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
If the IRS were to investigate they'd prolly talk to others in the company and ask "what did she do for obsidian?". Not just Feargus. That'd be a dumb investigation if it was just Feargus.
CEO doesn't have to explain his actions to others (at least at Obsidian seeing how Chris Avellone was treated), FU can always say that she worked from home or whatever so others wouldn't know what she was doing anyway.

Mustawd

CEO doesn't have to explain his actions to others, FU can always say that she worked from home or whatever so others wouldn't know what she was doing anyway.

Ok, I don't think you understand. IF the IRS comes to Obsidian, it will investigate said claims and talk to multiple people. Having a ghost employee, or what MCA said might be multiple ghost employees, can result in Feargus being fined and possibly arrested for fraud. A fake employee is fraud dude. Are you fucking retard-

Sorry, nvmind.

EDIT: Also, they would ask: Ok show me the work she has done. Oh and please provide us with a log of emails from her work email. Oh what's that? She doesn't have a work email? Sir, can you come this way? We want you to put on these handcuffs...

Last edited by a moderator:

Mustawd

https://brisbaneacfe.org/library/occupational-fraud/ghost-employees-frauds-payroll-frauds/

WHAT ARE GHOST EMPLOYEE FRAUDS?
A ghost employee is someone recorded on the payroll system, but who does not work for the business. The ghost can be a real person who knowingly or not is placed on the payroll, or a fictitious person invented by the dishonest employee. The fraud attacks the payroll system with false employees.

The aim of the fraud is to have a wage paid to the ghost and collected by the dishonest employee. This is done by entering the ghost employee into the payroll system. The fraud does not require an accomplice but, depending on how wages are paid, an accomplice may make the fraud easier to conduct as it will eliminate any need to convert the payment from the ghost to the dishonest employee.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
This is going to the IRS today:

681c95eee04022d64e183ccfa312f243.png

Well,if I got it right, according to Avellone that's more paperwork about taxes then Feargues has filled and filed in last 10 years alone. If we don't count all the paperwork done for him by that expensive accountant in order to avoid paying taxes and paying his wife. Is that expensive accountant by any chance in any other relationship besides financial with him?

And few times she was seen for 10+ years, was it always for a few brief moments before she and Feargus went to his office, locked door behind them and turned on the music from Fallout and other classics to the max? Feargus does have BIG collection of old school game boxes in his office, maybe she toyed and played with them...

feargus-620x318.jpg

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Lets say IRS get interested in this, how long would it take before they do any investigations? Is it a thing that will pile up on someones desk before eventually someone gets to it, or is it like a murder case they will get on immediately?

Mustawd

Lets say IRS get interested in this, how long would it take before they do any investigations? Is it a thing that will pile up on someones desk before eventually someone gets to it, or is it like a murder case they will get on immediately?

I don't work for the IRS, so it's hard for me to know. However, I'd lean to the former since the IRS's budget has been cut so much in the last decade or so.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Ok, I don't think you understand. IF the IRS comes to Obsidian, it will investigate said claims and talk to multiple people. Having a ghost employee, or what MCA said multiple ghost employees, fined and possibly arrested for fraud. A fake employee is fraud dude. Are you fucking retard-
lol
You're the retard here. It's not that hard to "prove" that she wasn't ghost employee, especially in an Obsidian like firm where people are paid for writing purple prose (which she could write herself after the fact and they wouldn't be able to prove otherwise and FU could claim they didn't use it after all). FU could also claim that she did the job he had done like evaluating some contract or doing some basic accounting work. Who cares she would be overpaid? He's the CEO and decides who will earn what. Not sure how IRS works in USA but I doubt they can just arrest someone without proof.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
especially in an Obsidian like firm where people are paid for writing purple prose (which she could write herself after the fact and they wouldn't be able to prove otherwise
You think the writing happens in notepad? There's version control with dates and accounts, there are task management systems where tasks are assigned, discussed and turned in, with dates, accounts, various notes left for colleagues, there's various internal messaging, and the list goes on. Collaborative work is not done in a vacuum.

Plus, it's not just the wife, according to MCA.

Jezal_k23

I don't think Chris has asked for, or needs, anyone to act against Obsidian on his behalf. Don't think that was the goal he had in mind when he posted here.

Flou

Arbiter
I know that this is how big companies do business, but I can't agree with this being the only way. What did FU and Obsidian gain with a departure in this style? Some money, but I hardly believe that it would have bankrupt Obsidian if they pay Chris' due, and not act like an ass with him. So no, I can't accept that there is only unethical business.

Well since we don't know what fair market value of the company would have been or much his stock was valued to begin with, it's quite impossible to say for sure. Would Chris' stock value had been around 2 million dollars? That would leave a dent for sure when they've struggled for few years before that.
I don't think it is so black and white situation. I understand why Chris feels the way he does, but at the same from a business point of view it makes perfect sense. Sure, for some of the owners it might have been pure greed doing the talking, but at the same time at least the CEO has to guarantee that the company doesn't suffer from the buyout and that it doesn't lead to layoffs later on when money starts running low.

After struggling for years, they finally get a product that leaves them with some cash and then one of them decides to cash out. That will lead to bitterness on the other side of the table as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom