Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vampyr - vampire action-RPG from Life Is Strange devs

Iznaliu

Arbiter
I'm sure the moral choices will be truly hard hitting conundrums just like in Bioshock.

Honestly though I don't see how I could care about any moral choices. I'm buying this game to play as a Vampire and if becoming a stronger Vamp means killing people then I'm going to do just that. It's not like I'm going to play one of the few Vampire games that gets made just so I can actively avoid being one. I like the angle the developers are working here by making the main character a doctor, but I think this is something that would work better as a book, movie or any other non-interactive entertainment medium. I don't feel the appeal in trying to be 'good' within this game when all that leads to is being punished mechanically by having interesting abilities cock blocked from the player. It's literally Bioshock and its non-choice again. "Do I let this girl live and gain nothing from it or kill her so I can summon Bees?"
Well, maybe the writing will be good enough to warrant a replay where you don't gobble up everything, but that's just my initial reaction to this.

• Codexians most of the time: Evil choices suck; evil should be more beneficial in gameplay terms to tempt players into choosing the evil choices!
  • Codexian when the potential of moral choices is raised: I want to min-max; why would I choose the good options if the story is just window-dressing to me?
Obviously what has happened here is an aberrant form of Stockholm Syndrome, because the AAA games that Codexians play despite claiming not to don't have many difficult choices.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
You seem confused and mistakenly think that everyone here is a C&Cfag. All I care for is mechanical C&C and not dialogue choices that lead to cosmetic differences, or what seems to be the case in Vampyr, less or more gameplay mechanics to play with.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
A good C&C will be if you don't know the effects in the moment but later on in the game. Another option is to make game around the greater good and the need to make hard choices,gating the good ending behind some pretty nasty choices like throwing all the kebab out of Europa.

Master

Arbiter
I'm sure the moral choices will be truly hard hitting conundrums just like in Bioshock.

Honestly though I don't see how I could care about any moral choices. I'm buying this game to play as a Vampire and if becoming a stronger Vamp means killing people then I'm going to do just that. It's not like I'm going to play one of the few Vampire games that gets made just so I can actively avoid being one. I like the angle the developers are working here by making the main character a doctor, but I think this is something that would work better as a book, movie or any other non-interactive entertainment medium. I don't feel the appeal in trying to be 'good' within this game when all that leads to is being punished mechanically by having interesting abilities cock blocked from the player. It's literally Bioshock and its non-choice again. "Do I let this girl live and gain nothing from it or kill her so I can summon Bees?"
You mixed it up; you were rewarded for saving them. By the end of the game more or almost as you would be by killing them, so it wasn't a tough choice anyway.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

You mixed it up; you were rewarded for saving them. By the end of the game more or almost as you would be by killing them, so it wasn't a tough choice anyway.

So why did the developers say that you don't get any XP and don't get any vampire powers if you avoid killing?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
No I meant about Bioshock, Hobo Elf.

Ah, yeah. Understood. Yeah it didn't make much of a difference. It was mostly early game where it mattered since killing the lolis gave you a bigger payoff immediately, but overall you didn't need so much XP so saving them would eventually yield the same result. You got my point anyway.

DeepOcean

Arcane

Well, maybe the writing will be good enough to warrant a replay where you don't gobble up everything, but that's just my initial reaction to this.
Bioshock choice was a even big non choice, if you didn't kill the girls, you got gifts with adam to not punish you too much from being a good two shoes. Hope this game makes being a good guy, a really hard road to take(I truly dont believe they will do it, 80% of the players play good guys on RPGs, they won't frustrate their audience that much).

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:negative:

Honestly though I don't see how I could care about any moral choices. I'm buying this game to play as a Vampire and if becoming a stronger Vamp means killing people then I'm going to do just that. It's not like I'm going to play one of the few Vampire games that gets made just so I can actively avoid being one. I don't feel the appeal in trying to be 'good' within this game when all that leads to is being punished mechanically by having interesting abilities cock blocked from the player.
I'm curious: did you ever do a high-Humanity playthrough in Bloodlines, or did you go full beast there too?

I'm usually a sucker for emotional manipulation in media. I look forward to growing to like a lot of the characters and having tough decisions whether or not to murder them. If you're a monster that doesn't care about butchering crying children, have fun I guess, but I don't think you're going to get as much out of the game as the intended audience will.

It's literally Bioshock and its non-choice again. "Do I let this girl live and gain nothing from it or kill her so I can summon Bees?"
I wish that Bioshock had actually given that choice. I was very excited to do the moral thing and get punished for it. It honestly pissed me off that I got to summon Bees (sic) anyway after the game told me I wouldn't be rewarded. Not from masochism or a desire to be weak, but out of a desire to see a game that isn't afraid to show that nice guys finish last. Getting the virtuous good ending should actually cost something. Bioshock actually gave you more Adam for sparing the Little Sisters.
decline.png
I hope this game gets it right.

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
I hope this game gets it right.
Don't hope, hope is the first step to disappointment that is the first step to frustration, that is the first step to hatred, you will end being the worst hater of the game on this thread, don't walk on that path padawan.

Remember, 80% of the players play with good guys accordingly to some RPG developer I read, that was the reason why Ken Levine chicken out and let the good guys have the cool powers too, they are 80% of the players, so, nope, your goody two shoes guy will be awesome too.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah. It's my assumption that the combat will be piss easy with or without all teh powarz anyway, so there'll be no incentive to get xp in the first place.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
No I meant about Bioshock, Hobo Elf.

Ah, yeah. Understood. Yeah it didn't make much of a difference. It was mostly early game where it mattered since killing the lolis gave you a bigger payoff immediately, but overall you didn't need so much XP so saving them would eventually yield the same result. You got my point anyway.
Well it did give you a harem if you didn't kill them. Certainly beats having some bullshit power for a little bit of time.

He gets to pick between killing a journalist and killing a poet, and he kills the poet.

France, what of the night? -
Night is the prostitute's noon,
Kissed and drugged till she swoon,
Spat upon, trod upon, whored.
With bloodred rose-garlands dight,
Round me reels in the dance
Death, my saviour, my lord,
Crowned; there is no more France.

jungl

Augur
really dont see why you should care about anyone in this game. There 60 something citizens in this but what about the hundreds of other no name eurobums you fight. Your either going to do a suck everyones dick run or go dry.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
A glorious dialogue wheel and a crafting system...... and all that in just 3 minutes of skipping around. My knees are trembling at the thought of what masterpiece could be hidden in here.

Here are some of the citizens, if anyone's interested:

http://vampyr-game.com/choose-your-victims/citizen

I have to say I like pretty much everything about this game except for the combat, and they did say you should be able to avoid most of it. The atmosphere is perfect and absorbing the memories of people you feed on reminds me of the alzabo from The Book of the New Sun. By the way, that's something every single one of you should read at least twice.

Vampyr releases in a few days on PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC, and we'd like to cover today the deep systems that make up Vampyr’s citizen and district ecosystems, as showcased in a gameplay footage taken from last week’s developer stream, in which the team discusses the game and answer questions direct from the community.

Players are free to kill (or spare) any and all of London’s citizens, using their blood to evolve deadly new powers. Jonathan Reid is also a doctor, and can therefore choose to heal these same inhabitants by conducting examinations and crafting specific medicines.

Curing illnesses improves the quality of life for each citizen and the district as a whole – but for players that only care about growing stronger, it also means their blood offers a larger, tastier boost in power!

1527069506087-avgame-win64-test-2018-05-23-11-57-23-24.jpg

Balancing the overall health of citizens with who you choose to kill is vital for players who want to keep districts from being lost. Each of the four main districts have their own health status gauge, which is affected by the number of dead, sick and healthy citizens in that area.

1527072425-district-gauge-final.gif

As the gauge drops lower, shop prices will increase, citizens are more likely to get sick, and life there generally deteriorates. If the status drops below critical condition, then the entire district will be lost forever!

This means all shops, citizen side quests and regular inhabitants in that district are permanently gone, taken over by deadly enemies.

1527072050987-hostile_e_logo.jpg

If this happens, it doesn’t mean game over! A player who loses all four districts can still complete Vampyr’s main story – though their recklessness will reward them with the ending they deserve.

Vampyr releases June 5 on PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC. Preorders are now available at http://vampyr-game.com/shop

frajaq

Erudite
That mechanic actually sounds really cool, as long as there are significant consequences in the story that's not just the ending

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom