Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex Interview: Chris Avellone on Pillars Cut Content, Game Development Hierarchies and More

Janslin

Novice
Alternatively: this is really funny and you should keep going at it Bester and report back

Reporting someone to the IRS is not a fun and games thing. Not even a little.

MCA eluded to mismanagement of money, he never said fraudulent use of money. Nor were any claims of tax evasion ever made.

Anyone contacting the IRS based on what's been posted in this thread is indeed a moron, and truly a despicable person. As J_C says, if MCA wanted this or thought it or thought it was justified, he would have done it himself.

Mustawd

Imagine you're an IRS guy. You receive a fraud reporting package from.....Russia. You open it up. It has a picture of a dude posting on a forum about some video game company you've never heard of. The picture says "FRAUD!"

You then google rpgcodex.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=rpgcodex

rpgcodex
Literally one of the hells in the Internet. This is an internet forum for the discussion of anything that's related to role-playing games but just like most internet forums, they can deviate from that and discuss other things. However, most of the members of that particular forum seems to hate pretty much everything, say curse words all the time, accuse fictional characters of being things that they dislike, and regularly use racist or antisemitic words all the time. Even the moderators are pretty terrible as they also seem to unable to stop the insanity of the forums and they sometimes even join in the racism, cursing and trolling. Overall, the place is one of the literal hells of the Internet. Seriously, it's on par with youtube comments, gamefaqs message boards and comic book resources in terms of stupidity and insanity.

Now you're an IRS drone that makes fuckall due to budget cuts, the country hates you, your parents are probably ashamed to say where you work. And then you get this beauty in the mail.

You'll probably laugh till you cry tears of humor as well as tears of "wtf am I doing with my life?"

Everyone, relax. Relax.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Imagine you're an IRS guy. You receive a fraud reporting package from.....Russia. You open it up. It has a picture of a dude posting on a forum about some video game company you've never heard of. The picture says "FRAUD!"

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=rpgcodex

rpgcodex
Literally one of the hells in the Internet. This is an internet forum for the discussion of anything that's related to role-playing games but just like most internet forums, they can deviate from that and discuss other things. However, most of the members of that particular forum seems to hate pretty much everything, say curse words all the time, accuse fictional characters of being things that they dislike, and regularly use racist or antisemitic words all the time. Even the moderators are pretty terrible as they also seem to unable to stop the insanity of the forums and they sometimes even join in the racism, cursing and trolling. Overall, the place is one of the literal hells of the Internet. Seriously, it's on par with youtube comments, gamefaqs message boards and comic book resources in terms of stupidity and insanity.

Now you're an IRS drone that makes fuckall due to budget cuts, the country hates you, your parents are probably ashamed to say where you work. And then you get this beauty in the mail.

You'll probably laugh till you cry tears of humor as well as tears of "wtf am I doing with my life?"

Everyone, relax. Relax.
I hope you are right. But still, the act in itself if kinda shitty.

Mustawd

So we've moved on from Communism and into tax law?

Autism strikes again!

I have an agenda.

image.jpg

EDIT: I'm gonna count taxalot's post as legal/tax advice.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Of course this won’t go anywhere, but it’s the principle of the thing Bester. Don’t be a narc, man. This thread has genuine officers of the court in the state of California; pretty sure they have an obligation to report crimes. If MRY doesn’t feel like informing the IRS, there’s no need for you to do so.

Just to be certain, I asked a friend who’s a corporate tax lawyer and she cracked up when I mentioned the allegation was coming via a dude who’d read about it on an internet message board.

tl;dr snitches get stitches

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

(..)

Everyone, relax. Relax.

No. You don't ignore it if you have reason enough to believe that the guy behind the Chris Avelonne account is actually Chris Avelonne, former co-owner and co-founder of the company he is accusing, a company that generates millions in revenues (!= benefits). This is not a random employee like Anthony Davis whose word would, yes, be probably ignored on this matter.

At least I know what I would do :M

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
tl;dr snitches get stitches
Don't do crime if you can't do the time.

5-0 for life.

No, no, no. The correct phrase is “one crime at a time.” e.g. don’t carry a gun if you’re also carrying a large quantity of narcotics.

Chris Avellone, while I respect your lawful good alignment, would you ever have any interest in making an organized crime RPG? I guess like New Reno writ large. A lot of opportunities to play as muscle or a second story man or a fixer. Capisce?

Mustawd

No. You don't ignore it if you have reason enough to believe that the guy behind the Chris Avelonne account is actually Chris Avelonne, former co-owner and co-founder of the company he is accusing, a company that generates millions in revenues (!= benefits). This is not a random employee like Anthony Davis whose word would, yes, be probably ignored on this matter.

How the hell are you gonna make sure that's MCA?

EDIT: To expand on this, if I decide to make a Feargus named account how do you verify whether or not I am Feargus? The biggest obstacle is that this info isn't coming from MCA.

Also, remember you work at the IRS. You have limited resources due to budget cuts. You really are gonna spend resources on chasing this?

You know what I'd do if I was the IRS agent? Personally, I'd find crack open a beer and start reading this thread and laugh my ass off. Then probably start an account and give tax advice on the downlow.

Last edited by a moderator:

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

How the hell are you gonna make sure that's MCA?

Plenty of ways. An IRS guy could create an account and ask proof of identity.
Another one could cross check what data he has on the company and stuff only Avelonne should know and has mentioned there.
Another could check the numbers filed in by Obsidian and see something that could correlates with his accusations, so in a way, that person could have enough to start an audit without even checking that.

The point is : that it is actually MCA or not wouldn't even matter much to us. When you start an audit, you are sure of nothing until it ends.

Septaryeth

Augur

Autism strikes again!

I think we need a list of all the non-MCA related topics derived from this thread to show how intellectually diverse we are whenever someone questions the codex.

Autism strikes again!

Dear Sir,

May I have access to the whole of buttons variety?

Regards,
ga<3

Would like to know how as well. Do I need to donate my soul?

Mustawd

An IRS guy could create an account and ask proof of identity.

France tax people have a lot of money. I can't even imagine wasting time on this if I worked at the IRS.

You really know nothing about how tax administration works.

You're really discounting how little the IRS budget is compared to just a few years ago, when it was already small.

And look, you might be right. But I feel p. confident in that I'm more right. Because I know a guy who forgot to report a W-2 in his tax return. The IRS sent them 3 letters. Dude ignored it cuz he was busy. Now the IRS is supposed to fine you interest and penalties if you're late on your taxes. After 5 months they cna fine you thousands of dollars.

So dude waits an entire year. A whole year. Till the next tax year. When he files his taxes, and gets a refund. He files it. IRS says "hey buddy you owe us!". They take it out of this dude's refund.

The amount taken out? The original $600 he owed the IRS. Why? Because the IRS is too fucking busy to deal with random bullshit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom