Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Are cloud shadows in??

yawnandshrug

Barely Literate
-Full-voiced dialogue and Tyranny-like "pop-up encyclopedia" have resulted in reduced (practically non-existent) walls of text and loredumps during dialogues.

-Wandering around the world map reminds me a bit of Battle Brothers, or Storm of Zehir. Or even bits of Heroes of Might and Magic and Expeditions: Conquistador, like when you spot pickable resources on land or at sea.

-Sea travel is quite fun, very large world map, lots of NPC ships moving around the map in real time (whether they're friendly or not depends on your reps) and lots of random encounters.

-The plot is much more straight-forward compared to Pillars 1. Essentially it boils down to following Eothas, learning why he's taking his little stroll, selecting an ally out of the 4 major factions (this is where I'm at right now, I'll try to see if you can abandon them all and reach the endgame solo) and having a final showdown with Eothas where I guess you either let him do his thing or fight him with your allies.

-The artstyle during certain plot-critical narrations or "CYOA" moments reminds me a bit of King of Dragon Pass, as do the NPC character portraits.

-I think the main storyline is shorter too, compared to Pillars 1. But there's lots of secondary content in the game.

-Since my Pillars 1 main character was a Cipher and I have continued as a Cipher in 2, I can say that Ciphers no longer receive the bulk of "unique/special" dialogue choices like reading everyone's minds etc (there are a few such instances, of course, but not too many). For the most part, special dialogue choices depend on Skills, with a few more choices dependent on class/race/background for variety.

-Regarding Eder, his personal quest revolves around tracking down a woman he was involved with in the past, so I guess he's straight. As is Xoti, whom you can romance as a male character. Serafen, Aloth and Tekehu are either gay or bi. Haven't really travelled around with anyone else to say for sure.

-Also, quite short loading times, even on non-SSD HDs. Yuge improvement over PoE 1.

Thanks for the info good to know the game has not been destroyed. Would you say that combat is better than poe 1?

Have skipped most convos to avoid being spoiled but companions seems to be better than poe 1.

I hope Eder and Aloth haven't changed too much, they were pretty bro tier in the first game and should stay that way.

Pallegina, didn't really care then, don't really care now. Not sure why she has an afro now, the spiky feather design in the first game was better

Serefen seems chill enough.

Really glad they updated Xoti's portrait (she looked like a bioware character in one of the dev videos), she seems nice enough, shame about the crazy, but hey, hot, stable and intelligent, pick 2.

Maia, if she's cool I'll try to get over the fact that she looks like a giraffe

Teheku is the horniest companion ever holy shit

It's awesome we have this guy because now I have an auto sacrifice option.

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I think the main storyline is shorter too, compared to Pillars 1. But there's lots of secondary content in the game

So thats what chris avellone was reffering to...

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
-Full-voiced dialogue and Tyranny-like "pop-up encyclopedia" have resulted in reduced (practically non-existent) walls of text and loredumps during dialogues.

-Wandering around the world map reminds me a bit of Battle Brothers, or Storm of Zehir. Or even bits of Heroes of Might and Magic and Expeditions: Conquistador, like when you spot pickable resources on land or at sea.

-Sea travel is quite fun, very large world map, lots of NPC ships moving around the map in real time (whether they're friendly or not depends on your reps) and lots of random encounters.

-The plot is much more straight-forward compared to Pillars 1. Essentially it boils down to following Eothas, learning why he's taking his little stroll, selecting an ally out of the 4 major factions (this is where I'm at right now, I'll try to see if you can abandon them all and reach the endgame solo) and having a final showdown with Eothas where I guess you either let him do his thing or fight him with your allies.

-The artstyle during certain plot-critical narrations or "CYOA" moments reminds me a bit of King of Dragon Pass, as do the NPC character portraits.

-I think the main storyline is shorter too, compared to Pillars 1. But there's lots of secondary content in the game.

-Since my Pillars 1 main character was a Cipher and I have continued as a Cipher in 2, I can say that Ciphers no longer receive the bulk of "unique/special" dialogue choices like reading everyone's minds etc (there are a few such instances, of course, but not too many). For the most part, special dialogue choices depend on Skills, with a few more choices dependent on class/race/background for variety.

-Regarding Eder, his personal quest revolves around tracking down a woman he was involved with in the past, so I guess he's straight. As is Xoti, whom you can romance as a male character. Serafen, Aloth and Tekehu are either gay or bi. Haven't really travelled around with anyone else to say for sure.

-Also, quite short loading times, even on non-SSD HDs. Yuge improvement over PoE 1.

Again we are hitting levels of incline that should not be possible.

Just what I wrote in the MCA interview thread.

In FNV you are no one important, you get hit on the head and you set off in search for the guy who hit you. You interact with factions on the way, and in the end decide what you want the future of the land to be.

In Deadfire you are someone important, you get hit on the head, and you set off to look for him in a land where you are once again no one important. You interact with factions on the way, and in the end decide what you want the future of the land to be.
While not original, that formula worked quite well in New Vegas. Most likely it is going to be better than completely fucked up pacing from PoE1.

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

How about loot?? Better then poe1?

2house2fly

Magister
Plot sounds a bit like New Vegas in style, which I expected based on the emphasis on factions and reputations. Predicting the main quest will have relatively few steps which likely end up boiling down to "do a minimum reasonable number of sidequests before you can access the ending quest"
Just what I wrote in the MCA interview thread.

In FNV you are no one important, you get hit on the head and you set off in search for the guy who hit you. You interact with factions on the way, and in the end decide what you want the future of the land to be.

In Deadfire you are someone important, you get hit on the head, and you set off to look for him in a land where you are once again no one important. You interact with factions on the way, and in the end decide what you want the future of the land to be.
from what I've seen on the stream your reputation precedes you, at least with some people

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I thought 80% of women only go for the top 20% of guys? Are you guys telling me the stuff I read on GD isn't real!?!?

Pizzashoes

Scholar
They are both challenging conventional stereotypes on gender. Both deserve our respect.

I think 80-95% have sex with the other 80-95%. Even if the man in that picture looks silly, he's probably getting some.

Mazisky

Magister
Can you give me a little suggestion?

I finished PoE 1 with 2 huge tanks, Eder and the Pc paladin and they were a nice frontline.

I wanna do the same in PoE 2 but taking a chanter instead of a Paladin as a main pc. Is that viable? Can i make a supertank chanter?

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why the huge demand for a 6 member party? All that matters is there is a good balance between party size and the number of enemies in a typical encounter.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom