Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
92/100

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I watched the beta and I watched the first part of the main game, the latter was much more enjoyable :P

Oh, yes, it certainly looks good, but that feeling soon goes away when you are going over the different battles in the same way and wondering why this damn combat system won't diversify and why it was designed the way it is.

Sentinel

Arcane
Name them. I want to stay on the look out.

FreeKaner
fantadomat
Lacrymas
Roguey
TheSentinel

oh also IHaveHugeNick since he was outted as an obsidian shill by Chris Avellone
A nice summary, thanks.
However I think you can enjoy something and still recognize it's bad. I enjoyed my time with Diablo 3 but I recognize it's a bad game with ok gameplay. I enjoyed some moments of my time with a certain dark souls game, but I think it's a shit game. I enjoyed 50 hours of MGSV, but upon replay and closer examination (and time distance) I reached the conclusion it's a completely atrocious MGS game.

Hope that helps.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Why am I being tagged, everyone knows that I wait about a year before playing a new release. There were a lot of jokes cracked and gasps had regarding my refusal to play PoE until they released the 3.0 patch for the DRM-free disc version.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
By the way regarding ending spoilers posted earlier

That's an extremely Sawyer thing to do. See the ending to Icewind Dale 2, or the "Why did I even bother?" of the Pillars of Eternity short stories.

Quillon

Arcane

Z4IwDge.png

checks out even without understanding German

google translate said:
VALUATION TO PILLARS OF ETERNITY 2

Conclusion: "Pillars of Eternity 2 is a role-playing masterpiece that dare and improve on Part 1 without losing its old-school charm."

Rating

PRESENTATION

+varied pirate setting
+great light and water effects
+completely (English) set to music
+detailed animations
-monotonous, dark caves

GAME DESIGN

+tremendous playful freedom
+influential decisions
+tactical real-time combat system
+ multiclasses and subclasses
-Fight a bit leisurely

BALANCE

+five customizable levels of difficulty
+easy to learn, hard to master
+pleasant game flow of fighting, exploring and talking
+optional game aids
+on high degrees of difficulty all game elements makes sense

STORY / ATMOSPHERE

+atmospheric and exotic world
+believable figures with different motivations
+enthralling plot with philosophical approaches
+refreshing humor
-not all companions are interesting

SCOPE

+numerous secondary tasks
+fun ship management and naval battles
+great replay value
+different classes and specializations
+not unnecessarily stretched

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Is there anything actually interesting in these reviews ? Or are we just jerking off over the crpg masterpiece and 90+ scores thrown by people who said the same shit for Skyrim (and sing this same chorus every two years or so) ?
Have we forgotten how reviews didn't acknowledge the sorry state of the first game ?

I mean, I get it. Hype and all that. Still, these reviews mean jackshit.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

Fry

Arcane
Maybe wait until we have a bigger sample size to bother judging the overall tone of reviews.

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
So, Gamestar says that PoE: Deadfire is an improvement over the first game but still ranks on the same score as it's predecessor with 92 %. Doubt!

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Maybe wait until we have a bigger sample size to bother judging the overall tone of reviews.
It has nothing to do with their tone, but with their content. Hence my first question.
Livestreams etc tell a lot more nowadays. What importance would you give to how journos rate it, really ?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom