Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter BATTLETECH - turn-based mech combat from Harebrained Schemes

Cael

Arcane
How viable is full melee?
In tabletop?

How about 40 points of damage to punch locations or 40 point kicks to either leg? Bearing in mind the Atlas as 47 points of armour in the front of the CT and 42 in the legs.

One of my own designs is the Daisho, so named as a humiliation to the Draconis Combine as it is a 100-tonner shaped like an ancient set of Samurai armour (with a Shredder helmet and mouthpiece, as the horns are too outlandish) carrying 2x sword/katana shaped hatchets, with a supercharger, Triple Strength Myomer and a 400XL engine. Secondary weapons include ER Large Laser, 2x Streak SRM4 with Inferno rounds and medium lasers. I think it had a 120m jump capability also, but I will have to consult my sheets.

NOTE: House rules is that if you have 2 melee weapons, you can swing both in a single round.

Last edited:
i must be missing something. what's this story you're all talking about? is the story what happens while i furiously click "next"? or is the button "continue"? i can't remember, all i do is click.

You can use sophistry and all that in your usual attempt at gotchas
Aren't you the one trying for a gotcha here though? I agreed with you that it's stupid to blow the cache up and against the usual code of honour, even if it doesn't break the specific Ares Conventions. We're in agreement. Saying that it doesn't break the Ares Conventions, it just breaks the unofficial successor to them is just you trying to find something you can insult me over.
If you hate me then okay, I can deal with that. If you want to insult me every time we interact then okay, I can deal with that, even if I think it makes you a dick. But if you're going to respond to a conversation I'm having with someone else just to abuse me on a technicality, can you at least not accuse me of the same shit you're doing in that very post? Like come on, dude. All this because I said you should complain about things that matter instead of shit that doesn't.
Fuck it, I'm not talking to you anymore. It never goes anywhere and you're not interested in communication anyway. Complete waste of my time.

Cael

Arcane
Aren't you the one trying for a gotcha here though? I agreed with you that it's stupid to blow the cache up and against the usual code of honour, even if it doesn't break the specific Ares Conventions. We're in agreement. Saying that it doesn't break the Ares Conventions, it just breaks the unofficial successor to them is just you trying to find something you can insult me over.
If you hate me then okay, I can deal with that. If you want to insult me every time we interact then okay, I can deal with that, even if I think it makes you a dick. But if you're going to respond to a conversation I'm having with someone else just to abuse me on a technicality, can you at least not accuse me of the same shit you're doing in that very post? Like come on, dude. All this because I said you should complain about things that matter instead of shit that doesn't.
Fuck it, I'm not talking to you anymore. It never goes anywhere and you're not interested in communication anyway. Complete waste of my time.
You are right. I have NO interest in communicating with you because you stalk me and try for gotchas, which you even admitted to. I don't have the patience to deal with your stupid butthurt shit. I will, however, continue to REPLY to your incompetent attempts at gotchas in the way I feel that it is deserved: with utter contempt, and in the hope that other people reading would get the real information, not your hair-splitting nonsense.

If you don't like it, well, all you have to do is stop trying for your gotchas.

Good try at trying to accuse me of doing what you have admitted to doing, though.

Cael

Arcane
i must be missing something. what's this story you're all talking about? is the story what happens while i furiously click "next"? or is the button "continue"? i can't remember, all i do is click.
Sounds about right. Don't let Kevin see you admit to it, though. He will be very annoyed. After all, he wrote all that FOR YOU!!!

Alpharius

Scholar
you get full access to the map when you finish the campaign.
Does another open world game even exist where vast swathes of locations are locked off until the 30+ hour main story is over? An open world plot is usually built around taking the player to every corner of the world/galaxy so they can rub shoulders with various factions. Unravelling a huge conspiracy is always a good one - unknown enemies seek to murder the player or take possession of an object closely tied to the player, driving the player to seek answers. Freelancer & Baldur's Gate.

I'm done. Can't take another minute being pigenholed into working for this Disney princess, or dealing with these shallow mechanics. With every layer I peel back it becomes increasingly obvious the onion has been hollowed out. If anything the negativity in this thread didn't do Battletech justice, because its easily the worst game I've played in years. A terribly written, badly designed, poorly optimised piece of garbage. The reputation of Harebrained Schemes should be irrevocably tarnished for this monstrosity.
Not only that but the main story constantly showers player with cash and salvage and also provides two lostech assaults packed with lostech weapons for free that are better than any other assault in the game (that have +lots of free tonnage, so seems like either endo-steel structure, FF armor or XL engine without the drawbacks in number of crit slots or death on side torso destruction). So whats exactly the point of grinding procedurally generated missions after that when the hardest of them are designed to be handled by a lance of 4 heavies(would be too challenging for :retarded: players otherwise)?

So yeah, including the parts of inner sphere on the map is pretty much a fraud.

Cael

Arcane
I really really really hate it when some idiots use any setting (historical or fictional) and do not follow the established lore, contradict it or just come up with the own fucking shit.
Same here. If you don't want to use the lore, that is fine, just call it something else. If HBS had called their game Mecha Combat, we probably won't be having this conversation. It is not as if they haven't wholesale created half the lore already as it is, starting from the Argo itself.

To me, it is nothing but fraudulently cashing in on the good will of a franchise.

PanteraNera

Arcane
For what its worth I think as well that Cael is kinda dickish some times, but he is a very knowledgeable dick ;)

also he has this for a reason:
OnTheEdge.png

And honestly, you contradicted the information he gave. He is correct with what he is saying.
Does he "overact" over it? Maybe. Are you to butthurt in response? Probably ;)

You are right. I have NO interest in communicating with you because you stalk me and try for gotchas, which you even admitted to.
guess you linked the wrong post?

Cael

Arcane
guess you linked the wrong post?
Scroll up. Sorry. I just used the address in the address bar. Didn't realise it defaulted to my last post.

And no. He has a history of trying for gotchas with me, which is why I react the way I do with him. He also likes to split hairs and try to sound as if he knows things when he doesn't. All those things tend to get up my grill.

PanteraNera

Arcane
Same here. If you don't want to use the lore, that is fine, just call it something else. If HBS had called their game Mecha Combat, we probably won't be having this conversation. It is not as if they haven't wholesale created half the lore already as it is, starting from the Argo itself.

To me, it is nothing but fraudulently cashing in on the good will of a franchise.
Exactly, and I am not as much as an hardliner as you are (but can totally understand that attitude).
Argo is okay-ish to me, it is a civilian ship for research created in the Star League peace time era only two have been made. It is not totally unbelievable.
On the other hand, totally unnecessary to add this ship and I guess they had done so for the whole retarded SL Outpost Castle "arc".
If they did care about the lore, they could have done the whole thing differently.

Last edited:

PanteraNera

Arcane
Spark Mandriller
I can actually understand Cael for the way he reacts to you. He gave you very friendly and elaborated answers in the MechCommander thread.
To me it really seems that you want to contradict him. That is at least the impression I got from your posts.
If that is not true, clear it up.
If it is true, don't whine that his attitude shifted towards you.

Just my 2 cents and I have nothing "against" you nor do I know you from other threads.

Sounds about right. Don't let Kevin see you admit to it, though. He will be very annoyed. After all, he wrote all that FOR YOU!!!
my answer to these things usually is just a random "he can suck my dick" but i guess he'd enjoy it so i won't reply.

Cael

Arcane
Exactly, and I am not as much as an hardliner as you are (but can totally understand that attitude).
Argo is okay-ish to me, it is a civilian ship for research created in the Star League peace time era only two have been made. It is not totally unbelievable.
On the other hand, totally unnecessary to add this ship and I guess they had done so for the whole retarded SL Outpost Castle "arc".
If they did care about the lore, they could have the whole thing differently.
How about this:

You are an ex-Kell Hound member, a fairly raw recruit that was just inducted into the Hounds when the Battle of Mallory's World happened. In the aftermath, Morgan Kell semi-disbands the Kell Hounds, reducing it from regimental size to battalion size and then goes into retreat at Zaniah. You were one of the 'mechwarriors let go. But Morgan tells you to be ready to return to the Hounds because there will come a day when the Kell Hound Regiment WILL be reformed. You get to choose your 'mech here (a standard light 'mech, 3025 TRO vintage).

While on Galatea, looking for work, you meet a guy who has use for a 'MechWarrior who is fairly unknown but still has good references (which you fulfil because a) you were a Kell Hound, no matter how brief, and b) it was very brief). He claims to be a "connector", someone who introduces people to other people who has use for them. Since you are running out of money for rental (both for yourself and the 'mech), you agree to meet his contact. This guy introduces you to his client, a woman who reveals that both of them are actually part of a covert Lyran team (yeah, he was lying) trying to find out information on a series of attacks by extremely well equipped bandits in the Periphery. Several Lyran worlds have been hit and the local garrisons overwhelmed by sheer force. They are looking for additional muscle, so to speak, and you fit the bill, especially since you came with your own 'mech.

As a sign of how important the Lyran state view the threat (although you are never given concrete proof that they are working for the Lyran state) your team is assigned a small JumpShip as well as a Leopard class DropShip. And so you embark on a series of missions over several worlds and the mystery deepens. You encounter the pirate 'mechs on a Lyran world and they are powerful units. Not only are some of them Star League era 'mechs, those 'mechs have all been extensively modified (including a Crab with 2 PPCs and a large laser; and another Crab with 3 large lasers, jump jets and greater speed). Eventually, you find out the location of the pirate base and try to attack it but the defenders have overwhelming firepower. And I do mean overwhelming. However, you get the chance to destroy the first wave coming at you because you do have the element of surprise, but you can see the second wave is going to stomp you flat. It is either run away or get your 'mechs wrecked. With no other choice, you decide to infiltrate the base (which is actually in the ruins of an old city that has been long abandoned) on foot with the lady. The man stays behind with the 'mechs as backup. Hijinks ensues. Pirates get killed, sex slaves gets rescued, female gets wounded, male saves the day in a 'mech, although you get to be the big damned hero rescuing the slaves.

Wounded female gets evacuated back to the Commonwealth on board the Leopard, and you are stuck on the Lyran planet until another DropShip arrives to pick you up and continue the search. One of the former slaves turns out to be a 'mech pilot. Not military, but civilian, but still a 'mech pilot. You get to pick up another 'MechWarrior who is a survivor of the local garrison that was massacred before you arrived. Information from the former slaves indicates that the pirate base you hit was only a forward base. It is not their main base, which means they are far bigger than anyone realise.

This is just the opening chapter. You will eventually find out why the pirates are so well equipped and what they are up to and what is the real story behind the Lyran operatives. Suffice to say that what you have been told are a blend of truth and lies and as the story moves forward, things will be explained, you will find Star League era stuff and a whole host of things that people of 3025 would never even dream about. The whole Inner Sphere will never be the same again. Well, maybe a small part of it :D

PanteraNera

Arcane
How about this:

You are an ex-Kell Hound member, a fairly raw recruit that was just inducted into the Hounds when the Battle of Mallory's World happened. In the aftermath, Morgan Kell semi-disbands the Kell Hounds, reducing it from regimental size to battalion size and then goes into retreat at Zaniah. You were one of the 'mechwarriors let go. But Morgan tells you to be ready to return to the Hounds because there will come a day when the Kell Hound Regiment WILL be reformed. You get to choose your 'mech here (a standard light 'mech, 3025 TRO vintage).

While on Galatea, looking for work, you meet a guy who has use for a 'MechWarrior who is fairly unknown but still has good references (which you fulfil because a) you were a Kell Hound, no matter how brief, and b) it was very brief). He claims to be a "connector", someone who introduces people to other people who has use for them. Since you are running out of money for rental (both for yourself and the 'mech), you agree to meet his contact. This guy introduces you to his client, a woman who reveals that both of them are actually part of a covert Lyran team (yeah, he was lying) trying to find out information on a series of attacks by extremely well equipped bandits in the Periphery. Several Lyran worlds have been hit and the local garrisons overwhelmed by sheer force. They are looking for additional muscle, so to speak, and you fit the bill, especially since you came with your own 'mech.

As a sign of how important the Lyran state view the threat (although you are never given concrete proof that they are working for the Lyran state) your team is assigned a small JumpShip as well as a Leopard class DropShip. And so you embark on a series of missions over several worlds and the mystery deepens. You encounter the pirate 'mechs on a Lyran world and they are powerful units. Not only are some of them Star League era 'mechs, those 'mechs have all been extensively modified (including a Crab with 2 PPCs and a large laser; and another Crab with 3 large lasers, jump jets and greater speed). Eventually, you find out the location of the pirate base and try to attack it but the defenders have overwhelming firepower. And I do mean overwhelming. However, you get the chance to destroy the first wave coming at you because you do have the element of surprise, but you can see the second wave is going to stomp you flat. It is either run away or get your 'mechs wrecked. With no other choice, you decide to infiltrate the base (which is actually in the ruins of an old city that has been long abandoned) on foot with the lady. The man stays behind with the 'mechs as backup. Hijinks ensues. Pirates get killed, sex slaves gets rescued, female gets wounded, male saves the day in a 'mech, although you get to be the big damned hero rescuing the slaves.

Wounded female gets evacuated back to the Commonwealth on board the Leopard, and you are stuck on the Lyran planet until another DropShip arrives to pick you up and continue the search. One of the former slaves turns out to be a 'mech pilot. Not military, but civilian, but still a 'mech pilot. You get to pick up another 'MechWarrior who is a survivor of the local garrison that was massacred before you arrived. Information from the former slaves indicates that the pirate base you hit was only a forward base. It is not their main base, which means they are far bigger than anyone realise.

This is just the opening chapter. You will eventually find out why the pirates are so well equipped and what they are up to and what is the real story behind the Lyran operatives. Suffice to say that what you have been told are a blend of truth and lies and as the story moves forward, things will be explained, you will find Star League era stuff and a whole host of things that people of 3025 would never even dream about. The whole Inner Sphere will never be the same again. Well, maybe a small part of it :D
Oh oh oh, I was going to say "but Cael isn't that to big, will it not contradict the established lore of BattleTech". Than I remember that you mentioned the Helm data core itt earlier, is it were this is going?

Anyways sounds interesting and like a fun introduction to a BT game! You just made that up/wrote it? Is it based on a "real" BT event?

BTW I fucking loved Gray Death Legion, the trilogy was the first BattleTech novels I read (probably also the reason why I love the Marauder)

I can actually understand Cael for the way he reacts to you. He gave you very friendly and elaborated answers in the MechCommander thread.
To me it really seems that you want to contradict him. That is at least the impression I got from your posts.
Ah, that was after the disagreements already started over this game. He was complaining about everything he could find (just little stuff like Jordan saying the Star League lasted several hundred years in an interview when in reality it only lasted 210 years, since this was before we knew the real problems with the game), and I told him he shouldn't care about minor stuff like that. He said I was an SJW style shithead who didn't care about facts. Things have just gotten worse from there. Now we're at the point where we can both agree on something and he'll still insult me over it, so I don't think there's any going back. Too bad we didn't know about the SL base plotline earlier. He could have talked about how terrible it was all he liked, and I would have agreed since it really is and it's also a major story element so it's not like you can ignore it. Oh well.
I don't really mind that he has a problem with me, I was just mad that he accused me of a gotcha moment. I mean, I agree that the SL base plot is dumb. Everyone agrees. I haven't seen anyone disagree so far. We don't need to fight over this shit. But whatever.

Cael

Arcane
Oh oh oh, I was going to say "but Cael isn't that to big, will it not contradict the established lore of BattleTech". Than I remember that you mentioned the Helm data core itt earlier, is it were this is going?

Anyways sounds interesting and like a fun introduction to a BT game! You just made that up/wrote it? Is it based on a "real" BT event?

BTW I fucking loved Gray Death Legion, the trilogy was the first BattleTech novels I read (probably also the reason why I love the Marauder)
No, it is not the Helm Core, and no, it is not going to affect the Inner Sphere. Just your part of it. The whole point is not to affect the Inner Sphere in any massive way. That is actually part of the main story line and one of the overarching objectives. Of course, "massive" can be a bit... subjective...

The Kell Hounds, Mallory's World and semi-disbanding is real. Morgan telling those he let go to be ready for a return is real. Galatea is real (known as the Mercenaries Star as Comstar has its Merc Review Board there; it is basically a gathering place for mercs looking for work and held that position until post-3030 when Wolf's Dragoons created their own on Outreach and basically took over).

The rest of it is made up.

This is actually the start of the RPG campaign I ran for a while back in the day (which explains the out of 'mech cockpit action), but it had all the elements the morons at HBS were trying to shoehorn into their game: Star League legacy, a righteous battle of good vs evil (with actual evil bandits full of evulz!), a damsel needing help, rescues (yes, multiple), tales of derring-do, mysteries, lore, etc. Which is why I used it as an example. What it did NOT have was the female taking centre stage (because I bloody well made it a point that she was taken out of the fight early and the PLAYER becoming the lead of the team as a consequence) and there is definitely no "We will be strong and win because we are righteous!!!" nonsense. Losing and getting killed is very possible and everyone is aware of it.

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane
Ah, that was after the disagreements already started over this game. He was complaining about everything he could find (just little stuff like Jordan saying the Star League lasted several hundred years in an interview when in reality it only lasted 210 years, since this was before we knew the real problems with the game), and I told him he shouldn't care about minor stuff like that. He said I was an SJW style shithead who didn't care about facts. Things have just gotten worse from there. Now we're at the point where we can both agree on something and he'll still insult me over it, so I don't think there's any going back. Too bad we didn't know about the SL base plotline earlier. He could have talked about how terrible it was all he liked, and I would have agreed since it really is and it's also a major story element so it's not like you can ignore it. Oh well.
I don't really mind that he has a problem with me, I was just mad that he accused me of a gotcha moment. I mean, I agree that the SL base plot is dumb. Everyone agrees. I haven't seen anyone disagree so far. We don't need to fight over this shit. But whatever.
The incident he is talking about started here.

Note how fast he devolved into "that is not important" and throw around accusations like "you are just finding things to complain about" instead of addressing the issues raised. Which is exactly what sjws do.

And then he signed off with saying how it is my fault that he is getting into arguments and that I am a bad influence on him.

And then he turns up in that other thread I linked to earlier, trying for a gotcha.

And he is still trying to claim victimhood now.

You can judge for yourself what he is and what I am.

Cael

Arcane
How viable is full melee?
Sorry. I can't seem to edit my previous post that tried to answer your question.

The answer is extremely viable in TT but you require Level 2 tech (basically Star League tech) to do it properly.

Daisho 100t
Speed: 4/6 normal, 5/8 with TSM working, 8 with supercharger working, 10 with both working at the same time
Engine 400XL
19 tons armour
10 double heat sinks

Weapons:
2 Hatchets
2 ER Large Laser
2 SRM-4 (2 tons inferno ammo)
4 Medium Laser
1 Small Laser

The trick is to charge in at max speed (6) and fire the ERLL at max range to trigger the TSM. Then trigger the supercharger to boost your speed to psycho amounts (you're almost as fast as a Jenner at that stage). Run right up to the enemy next round. Do NOT charge him as that would prevent you using your hatchets or any other weapon. Then fire your SRMs, medium lasers and small laser at him. Then let him have it with both hatchets to the face. IF he is still standing, he should be covered in inferno gel, so his heat is pretty much through the roof and he won't be able to do much. Just keep firing SRM and medium lasers and whacking him with the hatchets. Watch your heat. Keep it at 5 or above (for TSM triggering) and less than 9 (to avoid penalties). Toggle out a medium laser or small laser if you have to to keep your heat in line.

You don't NEED the supercharger (and it is from a splat book), but it is a helpful, if risky piece of gear. If you remove it, you have an extra 3 tons to play with. I suggest another SRM-4 with a ton of inferno ammo, just in case the first two misses.

I created a Clan tech version of this on a lark and yeah, it is as terrifying as it sounds with Clan weaponry added to the mix.

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Haven't seen a melee weapon in this game so far but now I am in the mood to train a Pilot in piloting and guts, give him a Mech with the highest melee damage I kind find, with max armor and filled with small lasers/MG.

Cael

Arcane
Haven't seen a melee weapon in this game so far but now I am in the mood to train a Pilot in piloting and guts, give him a Mech with the highest melee damage I kind find, with max armor and filled with small lasers/MG.
There is no melee weapon in the HBS game. They lumped all the different forms of melee attacks into 1, which is totally retarded because each of the melee attacks has a different goal.

Punching (and under the old rules, using a hatchet or sword or club) hits one of 6 locations in the upper body. That means a 1 in 6 chance of hitting the head. And if you have 2 hands, you can punch twice a round, so you have two chances of hitting an enemy in the head a round.
Kicking targets the legs and do double the damage of a punch. Even better, you can use sides to ensure you hit the leg you want to hit (instead of 50/50 from rear or front). Kicking off an enemy's leg is a notorious tactic in TT. It forces a piloting roll, IIRC.
Charging can cause a TON of damage and forces a piloting roll, but you can't use any weapons that round (although there is a reason why that 'mech is called a Charger...)

The HBS game lumps them all into one generic attack...

Black

Arcane
NuBT mechs have no problem kicking enemy mech in the cockpit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom