Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Molina

Savant
So no more excuses for this game. Now it is 100% going to be compared with BG2 and if it is not better than a 20 year old game, Obsidian can shut down their studio.
No. Now it's 100% going to be compared to PoE, as it should be. It makes no sense to compare it to the games that PoE was supposedly a "spiritual successor" to. Compared to PoE, it easily wins of course.
You misunderstand. I don't mean compare in mechanics and that, but in overall quality, fun, size, scope, story and the rest.
No more excuses now that they didn't have enough time, money, or needed to build engine first , spent too much time on world building and other pathetic excuses you people made for PoE1 (and it was still worse than BG1EE).

Now PoE2 is either better than a 20 year old game or Obsidian is not capable of making good games anymore.
If I understand, BG2 is "just" a good game ? So everything that can't reach its level, is shit ?

Prime Junta

If I understand, BG2 is "just" a good game ? So everything that can't reach its level, is shit ?

This is the Codex. Either it's a once-in-a-generation classic, or it's shit. And once-in-a-generation classics can only be recognised as such a minimum of 10 years after the fact, so by definition anything that comes out now is shit.

Valtiel

Scholar
Soo no obsidian studio live stream like they did on the fig campaign ending... I guess they're just feeling a bit AVELLONED

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Jezal_k23

So no more excuses for this game. Now it is 100% going to be compared with BG2 and if it is not better than a 20 year old game, Obsidian can shut down their studio.
No. Now it's 100% going to be compared to PoE, as it should be. It makes no sense to compare it to the games that PoE was supposedly a "spiritual successor" to. Compared to PoE, it easily wins of course.
You misunderstand. I don't mean compare in mechanics and that, but in overall quality, fun, size, scope, story and the rest.
No more excuses now that they didn't have enough time, money, or needed to build engine first , spent too much time on world building and other pathetic excuses you people made for PoE1 (and it was still worse than BG1EE).

Now PoE2 is either better than a 20 year old game or Obsidian is not capable of making good games anymore.

It's very debatable whether games really become "better" over time. Sure, there was a constant evolution for a few years up to a point, when they stopped evolving, except for tech. The tech is objectively better, that's about it, but I have my doubts that everything else that pertains to the gameplay, fun, size, scope, story (as you said) is getting better in games as the years pass.

We've seen it get WORSE plenty of times, that much I can say. But BETTER? Very, very rare these days.

To use an example outside of the RPG genre, I often have as much fun with Doom 2 as I'd have with a modern FPS, and Doom 2 is often A LOT MORE FUN than those. So anyway, I think we've reached a point somewhere along the 90s where our RPGs (and other genres of games) have no longer evolved over time.

Tigranes

Arcane
BG2's overall quality and scope has been unmatched, by Bioware themselves, AAA studios, Obsidian, etc, etc, for the last 20 years. It was one of a kind. If you expect a BG2 there is only one outcome, whether it's POE2 or Pathfinder or Fallout 5 or whatever.

Quillon

Arcane
Fuck BG2
edgy.png

conan_edw

Arbiter
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Is there a review embargo still going on or what? I mean it's still weird that not a lot of reviews are out yet

Cross

Arcane
BG2's overall quality and scope has been unmatched, by Bioware themselves, AAA studios, Obsidian, etc, etc, for the last 20 years. It was one of a kind..
Nobody has even tried to make a game like BG2. RPG sequels, including Deadfire, instead of building on the previous game like BG2 did, throw out the foundation of their predecessor and spend a bulk of their development time and budget overhauling systems and other fundamental aspects.

jdinatale

Cipher
12:00 AM: I have tried every PC at my disposal and it blows my mind because Deadfire just refuses to load.

3:00 AM: I have concluded that I must have received some sort of virus through my email. I have canceled all email accounts and reinstalled Windows 7 Ultimate x64. Deadfire still not loading.

4:30 AM: I'm running out of options here. There must be some glitch in the Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Operating System. Thanks Bill Gates. Switching to MAC OS X maybe this will prove effective.

9:00 AM: MAC OS X installation complete. I'm drawing a blank here. Deadfire still won't load. After ruling out software errors, I am convinced that there must be some lingering mechanical failure in my system. I have placed an order to newegg for rush delivery of a new Western Digital Caviar Black HDD. Will give this another shot later today.

12:00 PM: Harddrive has arrived and has been installed. To no avail, Deadfire will not load. I have not shaved or showered in a week. My clothes stink. I have lost my job...all because this confounded Deadfire will not load. I'm done with the whole electronics thing. I will be moving into an Amish community and this will be my last update on this issue. Good luck and good riddance.

Pizzashoes

Scholar
I just looked up Yennefer. I can understand the complaints for the game now. Apparently, you have the option of having sex with her outside of marriage?

Man, the wait for the game is killing me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom