Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Released

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire

The run-up towards the release of Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire has been considerably less dramatic than that of the first game. Mechanically, Deadfire can be described as putting more focus on tactical depth - encounters, abilities, AI - while de-emphasizing traditional strategic resource management elements. The latter change has been a source of worry for fans since the game was announced, and after the beta was released many believed Josh Sawyer would never be able to get it to feel right, but in the end he seems to have converged on something decent enough. With systems and mechanics seemingly in good order, the question that remains is whether the Obsidian of 2018 can deliver on narrative. At this point, they have no more excuses. The return to a Fallout: New Vegas-style open world faction-centric campaign is promising, but the proof will be in the pudding. Without further ado, the launch trailer:

And the launch day reviews, which are quite positive:

Windows Central 5/5
MMORPG.com 10/10
GameSpace 9.8/10
Worth Playing 9.5/10
CGMagazine 9.5/10
Ragequit.gr 92/100
GamesBeat 92/100
Shacknews 9/10
Wccftech 9/10
USgamer 4.5/5
TheSixthAxis 9/10
RPG Site 9/10
Hardcore Gamer 4.5/5
PCGamesN 9/10
Game Informer 8.75/10
PC Gamer 88/100
IGN 8.5/10
Guardian 4/5
GameSpot 8/10​

Pillars of Eternity II is available now on Steam and GOG for the price of $50. If you're playing, don't forget to unlock all the scavenger hunt bonus items.

P.S. We never did get that audio team Fig update...

Last edited by a moderator:

Shin

Cipher
I've started the first one today (for the 5th time probably, played the first few hours in each and every enhanced edition/update) with the intention of really finishing it. Hope PoE2 will have had enough patches and shit once I'm done. A quick glance at reviews seem to indicate that it's fairly buggy.

Naraya

Arcane
www.gry-online.pl (the biggest polish site about video games) : 9.5 / 10

The king has returned. Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire is for RPG's what The Witcher 3 is for action RPG's. PoE combines the breadth and essence of Baldur's Gate 2 and the freedom to explore of Fallout, while serving a modern and ambiguous story.

:shredder:

Paul_cz

Arcane
Fergus shenanigans aside, I am glad it is (probably) a fantastic game and I hope it will sell...assuming its actual developers get to share in its success.

Bocian

Arcane
Chris Avellone Do you mind sharing your outlook on how well do you think Deadfire will turn out? Taking into consideration your knowledge of the team working on it and what you think they learned from how PoE ended up.

I have no idea, but based on Obsidian's track record, I wouldn't buy any game from them until the first expansion/DLC came out.

Not trying to be a dick, but it's true - they don't have a great track record of launching a title. I prefer to give it a few months (which also lets me hear how good the story is).

Edit: if you bought the game already, you can post this in a steam review. Might be interesting.

Dorateen

Arcane
rlJM1A5.jpg

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Well according to steamchards Pillars 1 peaked 42k on release, and the 2nd is at 18k today. :shittydog:

Not at release, first weekend after release.

???

It says 42k all time peak and first recorded day is 30.03 with 30k, so the peak was between 26 and 30 march. The graph shows straight down so don't understand what you mean, most ppl were defiantly on day one.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
???

It says 42k all time peak and first recorded day is 30.03 with 30k, so the peak was between 26 and 30 march. The graph shows straight down so don't understand what you mean, most ppl were defiantly on day one.
The numbers merge after enough time has passed, but the first Sunday after release is always the one with the most concurrent players. Withhold judgment until then.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I doubt the all time peak is merged. If Pillars 2 starts climbing after day one it will be first.Niche games all have their peak day 1.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I doubt the all time peak is merged. If Pillars 2 starts climbing after day one it will be first.Niche games all have their peak day 1.
As fortune would have it, the numbers are preserved here https://steamdb.info/app/291650/graphs/

As you can see, Sunday wast the biggest day, not release.

B-b-but IHaveHugeNick said that Chris Avellone was sabotaging Deadfire's release and that everyone at Obsidian would get fired...

:philosoraptor:
While it's too early to tell, these numbers aren't good. It has significantly fewer than its predecessor, which is quite bad for a sequel they put so much more money into (as opposed to a slam dunk). Obsidian is finished and good riddance.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well the KKK is fully in effect...seems it has all the signs of polarized reception; well received (and reviewed) by mainstream media, invocations of Christ Avellone, angst edgy buildup by posters while they wait for a hardass review from Rexor
I like the fact I backed this and since I have almost no free time for playing will probably get to play it when all the bugs have been squashed

Restuju

Novice
As anticipated, the current review score of POE2 is a bit lower than D:OS2.
So many bugs in current version and slow loading time...
no offense, bro

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom