Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex Interview: Chris Avellone on Pillars Cut Content, Game Development Hierarchies and More

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
From what you're describing, I would say that new Torment had close to ideal organizational structure. I hear Fargo is a very hands-off as a CEO, and it was all layered around the great creative mind of Colin McComb.
One of these days someone will figure out how to give direction and restrictions throughout the process without excessively micromanaging aspects better left to the people paid to make those decisions.

Peter principle and the Dunning-Kruger effect would disagree. People who don't know what they are talking about, lack the exact skills required to figure out that they don't know what they are talking about.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
So is it pretty much decided now that this is the new Best Thread Ever, having surpassed the Sir-Tech thread?

Nothing beats the moment the random guy showed up in the Sir-tech thread who auctioned off evidence that actually gave credence to Cleve and what everbody believed were the ravings of a madman. It also contains many of those wonderfully written walls of text that Cleve used to put actual effort into.

I can see why people like this thread but Sir-tech takes the cake for me.

mastroego

Arcane
To be fair, while this thread is obviously more explosive for its "real world implications" (shall we say?), the Sir-Tech "revelations" were a lot funnier.
Not that I'd argue that THOSE aren't 100% true as well...

Elex

Arbiter
To be fair, while this thread is obviously more explosive for its "real world implications" (shall we say?), the Sir-Tech "revelations" were a lot funnier.
Not that I'd argue that THOSE aren't 100% true as well...
maybe maybe this is only and RPG and we are NPC?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Chris Avellone I assume that we will never see you as the head of your own studio? I remember talk about you, maybe opening up your own studio, but it seems to me that you have no interest in sitting in the owner position again?

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I didn't follow the Sir-Tech thread, but I have read it. To me that thread wins hands down. The combination of Cleave, nostalgia for Sir-Tech and the inside information about development really made it fantastic. This thread is still good though, so don't fret Chris Avellone :)
I think this thread would have more of an impact if Obisidan was a dead company, since it's hard to see all these problems (not saying they are not true) when they just released Deadfire and it seems to be getting a pretty good reception.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
While Chris Avellone and me were working hard on The Collapse pitch, this one time Chris Parker comes to our office.

'Hey guys', he says, 'I have some ideas on how we can tap into that 20-year old college liberal audience'.

MCA looks at me, I look at him, there's an awkward silence. Minutes pass. Parker just stands there, waiting. Finally MCA says, 'Uh, sure, we'd love to hear your input.'

And Parker goes, 'First of all, I think health potions are an oppressive concept that roots in the culture of Southern white supremacists, so it would be appropriate to replace them with soy potions. Also, the hellhound mount looks great, but some people may interpret demon riding on a hellhound as symbol of male patriarchy riding on backs of minority groups. So we should probably replace the hellhounds with furries riding on bicycles'.

Suddenly the door opens, it's Josh. 'Did somebody say bicycles? Oh hey, are those jelly beans?'.

So we sat and started working hard on the idea of soy potion, but we run into implementation issues. There was this persistent bug that we couldn't nail down. If your demon protagonist drank a soy potion, he would somehow grow manboobs and start humming Celine Dion tunes.

We take the problem to Feargus, but to our horror he loves it, and comes up with this epic final scene, where Lucifer and Jesus hug each other like Leo and Kate were on the Titanic, yelling, we're the kings of the world!

We try to talk Feargus out of it, but he just gets obsessed about the idea and gets the entire team working on it. Thankfully it all fell apart because licensing "My Heart Will Go On" would eat half of our budget.

Last edited:

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Whoa. That’s pretty fucked up. I can’t believe this guy doxed an Israeli. Seems ill advised. No wonder his blog hasn’t been updated in years...

Classic mistake: assuming the chosen people are all friendly diaspora lox-and-bagels types, when in fact they’re dealing with the “hold my uzi while I take a piss” contingent.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Whoa. That’s pretty fucked up. I can’t believe this guy doxed an Israeli. Seems ill advised. No wonder his blog hasn’t been updated in years...

It is a little known fact that this blog was actually not ran by one guy, but two militant Codexians. Of course, the Mossad eventually got them. It was in fact Infinitron himself who iced them. The building in which the guys had set up their rigs was high security and eventually footage of the assassination leaked onto the internet. Videos were quickly taken down but a few backups exist in the deepweb if you know what to look for.

Cael

Arcane
Holy hell! Ahhahahahahahahahahahahaha!

SERIOUSLY???

Thanks for that link. I didn't make the connection until I saw that. Oh, my poor ribs.

I actually remember that fanfic. It was so horrible that I couldn't get past the bit about the Avatar banging on the furniture to raise his stats. Bwahahahahahahaha! The rest of the UDIC must have crap themselves laughing at it.

Oh my, brings back so many memories of the UDIC and the Ultima fanfics of yesteryear. Lots of emo Avatars running around :D

Ringhausen

Augur
Did Chris really proclaim himself to live to 200 years old?

We once venerated him as a god, but now he's with us in the mud, utterly deranged.

:negative:

r4d

Barely Literate
ive been reading about feargus and i'm not surprised tbh. that's why you can't let skaen have any power man if he gets that throne he'll be even worse than woedica. i prefer rich evans and that tenacious d guy by a huge degree.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom