Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News Colin McComb and Gavin Jurgens-Fyhrie have left inXile

iguana_trader

Novice
I'd go one step further and make them characters (but they'd self-insert anyway)
Brianna Wu as the Transcendet One? That'd be fitting.
Zoe: Many-as-One - better not cross her!

Darkzone

Arcane
Let me recapitulate this: They aimed at Planescape Torment and hit a fan boy that thinks that the game would be a success and better if they would have just named it Perry Rhodan.
The thing is the writing in Perry Rhodan never was good. But the themes they envisioned and the larger story arcs were epic....
First of all i acknowledge your love for Sci-fi and on it based the defence for ToN. And also that you have understood some of the hidden stabs at TToN from my side, but that is obvious if someone has read Perry Rhodan. But do you really think that TToN (advertised 1 million words) has a much better writing than the latest Perry Rhodan "Groschenroman" / dime novels where the writers have to fill 60 sides each week? Do you understand the premise of PST? And how far off the end product landed, from the aimed goal of the KS at the continuation / reproduction of PST? Honestly asking.

Last edited:

Quantomas

Savant
Let me recapitulate this: They aimed at Planescape Torment and hit a fan boy that thinks that the game would be a success and better if they would have just named it Perry Rhodan.
The thing is the writing in Perry Rhodan never was good. But the themes they envisioned and the larger story arcs were epic....
First of all i acknowledge your love for Sci-fi and on it based the defence for ToN. And also that you have understood some of the hidden stabs at TToN, from my side. But do you really think that ToM has a much better writing then the latest Perry Rhodan "Groschenroman" / dime novels? Do you understand the premise of PST? And how far off the end product landed, from the aimed goal of the KS at the continuation / reproduction of PST? Truly asking.
I read the Perry Rhodan books (hardcover, silver) until issue 66, Battle of the Paramags, which was published in 1999, but technically it was a better edited and more compact publication of the source from 1972. This means my first-hand experience of Perry Rhodan is mostly limited to writers at a time before Sci-fi became a full blown force.

With the development Sci-fi had taken since then and the fact that many truly outstanding writers work on SF these days, I can only assume that this also had an impact on PR, and that contemporary Perry Rhodan is a force to be reckoned with.

Given that, my lack of knowledge non-withstanding, it is doubtful that ToN's writing compares favourably to contemporary PR. But for a video game ToN gets a lot of things astonishingly right, most importantly the feeling that you visit and experience a different place and time. Most of the Meres, ToN's interactive CYOA, are outstanding. The concept is actually intriguing, that your actions in the Meres affect the reality in the game world, so that you can reshape reality retroactively, which leads to a recursive game loop that you can discover by multiple playthroughs. I wrote more about it in my review mentioned earlier.

I played PST through twice to get a better grip on the endings. It seems MCA had regret as a main theme, although you could also answer love can change a man.

ToN would have been much better off if it dropped its claim that it can recreate the Torment experience. The game would have been much better.

Grab the Codex by the pussy
The next Torment game should be made by Brianna Wu and Zoë Quinn
giphy.gif

Prime Junta

As far as I remember, CMcC left the Codex because Bester called him 'a cuck' (nothing more, nothing less) :lol:

No, that was Adam Heine.

Not one of the Codex's finest moments. Whatever you may think of his game design skills, he runs an orphanage, and that's deserving of respect.

(And yes, Bester called him a cuck because he runs an orphanage. That's pretty edgy even by Codexian standards.)

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
As far as I remember, CMcC left the Codex because Bester called him 'a cuck' (nothing more, nothing less) :lol:

No, that was Adam Heine.

Stop arguing, you're both correct. The way I remember it, after Adam ejected, Colin had a meltdown on Twitter about people who dare to use the word 'cuck'. So while Bester said it to Heine, it made Colin butthurt as well.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

No, that was Adam Heine.

Stop arguing, you're both correct. The way I remember it, after Adam ejected, Colin had a meltdown on Twitter about people who dare to use the word 'cuck'. So while Bester said it to Heine, it made Colin butthurt as well.

Maybe, but he did end up posting a few more times in 2016 before disappearing. The cuck thing happened at the beginning of that year.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

No, that was Adam Heine.

Maybe, but he did end up posting a few more times in 2016 before disappearing. The cuck thing happened at the beginning of that year.

Colin was going further and further down the SJW rabbit hole on twitter around that time, so it may not have been an instant thing.

Darkzone

Arcane
I read the Perry Rhodan books (hardcover, silver) until issue 66, Battle of the Paramags, which was published in 1999, but technically it was a better edited and more compact publication of the source from 1972. This means my first-hand experience of Perry Rhodan is mostly limited to writers at a time before Sci-fi became a full blown force. With the development Sci-fi had taken since then and the fact that many truly outstanding writers work on SF these days, I can only assume that this also had an impact on PR, and that contemporary Perry Rhodan is a force to be reckoned with.
Sry that i answer just now, but i had to watch the expanse 3.5, since yesterday was Isaac Arthur day with Megatelescopes and therefore i didn't watched it.
If you have read Parry Rhodan the early works, then you know what is self inflicted Torment and what regrets are.

Given that, my lack of knowledge non-withstanding, it is doubtful that ToN's writing compares favourably to contemporary PR. But for a video game ToN gets a lot of things astonishingly right, most importantly the feeling that you visit and experience a different place and time. Most of the Meres, ToN's interactive CYOA, are outstanding. The concept is actually intriguing, that your actions in the Meres affect the reality in the game world, so that you can reshape reality retroactively, which leads to a recursive game loop that you can discover by multiple playthroughs. I wrote more about it in my review mentioned earlier.
I admit that you make me think about this whole issue and perhaps my expectations and bias were blocking the enjoyment of TToN. If you expect nothing then you can be surprised both in negative and positive way, but if you have too high expectations then you can be only disappointed. Or perhaps your love for sci-fi / fy is blinding you. Either way i cannot make a definite conclusion based on my current position and therefore i need to start again a playthrough this summer of TToN, because the last time i couldn't bring myself to play it to the end.

Last edited:

Father Foreskin

Learned
I dont think taking care of orphans correlates with paying a black man to fuck your wife. Altough if Colin fucks as bad as he writes, the black guy should have been a stretchgoal.

Edit: Same for heine if he was the O.G. orphanage cuck

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom