Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
So from what I understand

-Veteran is actually piss easy. I'm lvl 14 and I can literally let the AI kill the enemies (although I have no level scaling)
-POTD is just as easy as veteran because no balance pass a lot of the time, especially without level scaling, so it's actually just not much of a challenge generally
-This game is mostly incredibly easy unless you use POTD & level scaling

So Decline???

So far, yes. Sawyer said they'll balance Veteran and POTD in upcoming patches. Basically as it is game is buggy and imbalanced, needs patches.

Pizzashoes

Scholar
I really fucking wonder why you people are talking about whether bisexuality is okay. I mean, yeah, this is the Codex, so I might be stupid to expect otherwise, but man.
My objection is that, barring backer NPC garbage I didn't read, it didn't exist in the first game, at least not remotely to this extent. Maneha was the canary in the coal mine. A throwback to 90s fantasy rolled left just like every other fucking thing (because of course homosexuality is also totally normal and accepted by all societies in this setting why wouldn't it be, just like every other fucking thing).
My question is why does that bother you so much? I think I've never romanced anyone in any RPG I've ever played because I find it very weird but it also never... affected me? It's content you don't have to touch if you don't want to. Sometimes I really wonder what one's personal interpretation of the world must be as to be so bothered by queer stuff. I just don't get it. It's a fucking fantasy world with Polynesian half-orc-fishpeople, dragons, elves, fairies magic and a statue of a god prancing about. Why the hell is that okay but many characters not being cis isn't? You're entitled to your opinion, sure, but I just don't get it.
I think making every romanceable character bisexual is weird because most people in our world don't fuck their own gender, but I don't think it matters.

The sickening thing I feel is the superiority felt by the people who push LGBT or racist attitudes into every piece of culture. They feel their beliefs are so obviously righteous and correct that no one else could possibly legitimately counter anything they think. And then they'll go so far to shame their opponents away from normal society. That is SJW shit.

Deadfire does not do this at all. The writers just put in a bunch of bisexuals, blacks, and orcs. They don't have much moralizing in there at all about them. This is not an SJW game.

Last edited:

AN4RCHID

Arcane
My question is why does that bother you so much? I think I've never romanced anyone in any RPG I've ever played because I find it very weird but it also never... affected me? It's content you don't have to touch if you don't want to.
:roll: It's emblamatic of the kinds of creative decisions that were made by the writing team. You can ignore the romance parts all you want, but they're cut from the same cloth as the rest of the writing.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
My question is why does that bother you so much? I think I've never romanced anyone in any RPG I've ever played because I find it very weird but it also never... affected me? It's content you don't have to touch if you don't want to. Sometimes I really wonder what one's personal interpretation of the world must be as to be so bothered by queer stuff. I just don't get it. It's a fucking fantasy world with Polynesian half-orc-fishpeople, dragons, elves, fairies magic and a statue of a god prancing about. Why the hell is that okay but many characters not being cis isn't? You're entitled to your opinion, sure, but I just don't get it.

My understanding is that some of them actively hit on you, and some even wind up with each other, so you can't escape the gay. Gays in Tyranny were fine, whatever, it wasn't selling itself as a throwback to a 90s fantasy setting, but doing the same thing to a Pillars sequel is too far. An incredibly tiny minority of the population is pushing themselves into everything and this push is how we end up with nonsense like http://news.gallup.com/poll/183383/americans-greatly-overestimate-percent-gay-lesbian.aspx

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Honestly I wouldn't have acknowledged that all romance options are bi if I hadn't read about it up here. So far I only have Maia and the female pirate captain at Fort Deadlight hit on me.
Xoti's apparently amused when I, as a male mountain dwarf, paid for a male elven prostitute.
27TW7qF.png

not sure if i should:positive:or :outrage:

2house2fly

Magister
I don't like them hitting on you, it feels confrontational since you have to either accept or reject them immediately. I like the way I saw some characters do it in Mass Effect, where they make an ambiguous statement that was a come-on if you respond to it, or a joke or general observation if you don't

2house2fly

Magister
Of course, this is something obsidian would have the hang of already if they had written a single romance in a game in the last decade

Pizzashoes

Scholar

My understanding is that some of them actively hit on you, and some even wind up with each other, so you can't escape the gay. Gays in Tyranny were fine, whatever, it wasn't selling itself as a throwback to a 90s fantasy setting, but doing the same thing to a Pillars sequel is too far. An incredibly tiny minority of the population is pushing themselves into everything and this push is how we end up with nonsense like http://news.gallup.com/poll/183383/americans-greatly-overestimate-percent-gay-lesbian.aspx
Easier to justify the findings of that poll by saying most people are dumbasses.

2house2fly

Magister
as far as I know, the only two characters who can end up together are a man and a woman, which doesn't sound that gay to me

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Of course, this is something obsidian would have the hang of already if they had written a single romance in a game in the last decade
All the romances come from the new hires. :M
as far as I know, the only two characters who can end up together are a man and a woman, which doesn't sound that gay to me
Someone posted an endgame screen of Xoti/Maia in the Obsidian romance thread.

Sentinel

Arcane
It has nothing to do with "learning". Obsidian has written romances in the past. The difference is, they weren't the BioWare approach of "here's your personal brothel - choose from these 8 companions the one you want to fuck". Obsidian's romances have always been tied to the story and served a purpose.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Why the hell not?

Because it adds nothing and has no relevance to anything in the plot. It's not even treated as a controversy in the game world. It's a pandering checkmark that at the end of the day very few people give a shit about.

Would PoE2 suffer as an RPG if it had no gay representation in it? Even better, has any other previously made RPG suffered because there is no gay representation?

KateMicucci

Arcane
Most normal people feel uncomfortable around homosexuals and don't like them in their fictional settings except as either comedic relief or villians.

duanth123

Arcane
I really fucking wonder why you people are talking about whether bisexuality is okay. I mean, yeah, this is the Codex, so I might be stupid to expect otherwise, but man.
My objection is that, barring backer NPC garbage I didn't read, it didn't exist in the first game, at least not remotely to this extent. Maneha was the canary in the coal mine. A throwback to 90s fantasy rolled left just like every other fucking thing (because of course homosexuality is also totally normal and accepted by all societies in this setting why wouldn't it be, just like every other fucking thing).

Because the bullshit, disjointed progressive writing is taking up space that should have been reserved for good writing.

Every single line of fucking YA-tier, drivel romance in this game is a partial man hour that could have been dedicated to better things.

Same with the VO.

You are the one laboring under some sort of infinite resource delusion.

And yes, because dragons, there should be no verisimilitude or authenticity to the setting and it's inhabitants. Haven't heard that one before.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
The real problem with romances is I can't have them all.
I was that close to having a threesome with redhead and yennefer... that close... :negative:

Also, as sentinel said. The overall design of offering the player a choice in a selection of meatbags leads to shit characterization. Because designers of this type of games need to sell their romances, and deliver characters devoided of the bizarre and therefore of the interesting.
It's alright in stuff like twitcher and mass effect, because at least there you got some fine ass to watch during your playthrough.
In a game like deadfire, you either pull out good companions or gtfo.
There's a baffling, fundamental mistake in proposing this type of shit in a game like this.
But then again, as it's been proposed - and which is probably true - the state of obsidian's writing department probably explains it in a simpler manner : they're just that bad. Might as well go for it and avoid any attempt to produce interesting stuff.

2house2fly

Magister
This is a setting where memories live on past death and can be inherited by the next life. Maybe there is a lot of cross pollination, so men have vague impressions of what it's like to be a woman from a previous life and vice versa. This could make bisexuality more common, and transsexual for that matter. The world is also under the rule of the Engwithan "gods" which could affect social norms- maybe the gods said sexuality doesn't matter a long time in the past and people have just gone along with it

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It has nothing to do with "learning". Obsidian has written romances in the past. The difference is, they weren't the BioWare approach of "here's your personal brothel - choose from these 8 companions the one you want to fuck". Obsidian's romances have always been tied to the story and served a purpose.
Speaking of, despite not playing Deadfire I'm completely confident that the playersexual pseudo-romance you can choose to have with Iovara is better written than any given romance in Deadfire. :M

KateMicucci

Arcane
Every single line of fucking YA-tier, drivel romance in this game is a partial man hour that could have been dedicated to better things.
Every minute wasted on romances is a minute that could have been spent implementing jiggle physics.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire

I think there is nothing wrong with all 5 romanceable companions being bisexual but also I think you are fucking retarded. What kind of shit argument is this?

Sentinel

Arcane
This is a setting where memories live on past death and can be inherited by the next life. Maybe there is a lot of cross pollination, so men have vague impressions of what it's like to be a woman from a previous life and vice versa. This could make bisexuality more common, and transsexual for that matter. The world is also under the rule of the Engwithan "gods" which could affect social norms- maybe the gods said sexuality doesn't matter a long time in the past and people have just gone along with it
these mental gymnastics to try and justify player sexual romances...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom