Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex Interview: Chris Avellone on Pillars Cut Content, Game Development Hierarchies and More

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Chris Avellone , I've wanted to ask you, since here on the Codex we often shitpost about this or that writer being a "worthless hack", when not something worse -- what qualifies a videogame narrative designer as a bad narrative designer in your perception?

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
Do NOT get me started on the incompetence of managers in Australia. The stories I tell to those I trust have their jaws hitting the floor faster than if they saw Selena Gomez doing a strip tease.
Please get started.
The customer made the comment that if he were to ever write a book on management, he will use his Australian supplier as a clear example of what not to do.

It goes downhill from there.
It does not surprise me that your managers are incompetent. I still remember the disastrous defeat of the emu war. If not for the fact that your country lies in the corner of the world, surrounded by water, and infested with horrific creatures, i've no doubt you'd have been conquered by someone else by now.

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
Cleveland Mark Blakemore , can you talk about the best manager you ever worked with? It just feels weird that software dev and game dev seem to be devoid of that shit.

Failure rate for networks goes up when network admins are hired and network availability goes down. With no admins, research shows network remains viable, longer up time and better access for all company members.

Failure rate for any software project climbs up as soon as they get managers and research shows it climbs each successive rung of management that is added.

Yes the managers probably introduce so much micro-issues.
And bugs in the STL.

A good Cleve-managed, Cleve-produced project can ship on time !

Last edited:
Developer

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

I have never met Cleve (unfortunately), and I have not had a chance to pay any of his games (unfortunately) but that's not by choice, I don't have time to play a lot of games, as I may have mentioned before. I like people who make games, granted I'm biased, but that means by default I have a positive opinion of him.

Playin' it safe here. But not gonna improve the opinions of people dissing you for posting on a forum they perceive to be Literally Hitler :D

Developer
Chris Avellone , I've wanted to ask you, since here on the Codex we often shitpost about this or that writer being a "worthless hack", when not something worse -- what qualifies a videogame narrative designer as a bad narrative designer in your perception?

That is a long answer, and it would be tracing the many mistakes in my career (and then became part of design expectation at Obsidian and our style guides). I'll try to answer it, but it may take a while.

I guess the first initial answer is resist the temptation to break the 4th wall (which I failed to do in Fallout 2) unless its part of the thematic design. Sometimes as a new writer, you can get caught up on the ability to nod-and-wink to the audience, and you need to be certain the genre allows for that - sometimes it does.

Often, you can still make a similar joke, but use the tools and setting of the franchise to do it (I think Old World Blues was our attempt to be as comedic as parts of F2, but we tried to use elements already in the setting to set up the stage).

Second thing is don't dictate the story, let the players interact with it. I still think you can tell a good dictated story, but you might be missing the opportunity for the player themselves to bring something to it that makes it even better.

This could go on for a while, but that's a few points - and again, I've been guilty of these but tried to learn from them.

Grab the Codex by the pussy
Avellone's new studio will be called Incline. I have all figured out. The game designers will include Chris Avellone, Cleve Blakermore, Vault Dweller, Styg, George Zeits, and Tim Cain. The lead artist will be Pyke. The game industry will tremble with fear and awe. The game will have the writing of Fallout, the open world of Arcanum, the reactivity of Age of Decadence and the combat system of Jagged Alliance 2. Glorious!

hivemind

Avellone's new studio will be called Incline. I have all figured out. The game designers will include Chris Avellone, Cleve Blakermore, Vault Dweller, Styg, George Zeits, and Tim Cain. The lead artist will be Pike. The game industry will tremble with fear and awe. The game will have the writing of FO, the open world of Arcanum, the reactivity of Age of Decadence and the combat system of Jagged Alliance 2. Glorious!
*cringes*

Delterius

Arcane
I have never met Cleve (unfortunately), and I have not had a chance to pay any of his games (unfortunately)
An understandable freudian slip, considering the meager price of grimoire.
donut-lad.png
nice

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I guess the first initial answer is resist the temptation to break the 4th wall (which I failed to do in Fallout 2) unless its part of the thematic design. Sometimes as a new writer, you can get caught up on the ability to nod-and-wink to the audience, and you need to be certain the genre allows for that - sometimes it does.
I thought the colorful commentary you added to the Icewind Dale games was memorable, and it's unfortunate Pillars of Eternity didn't continue the tradition.
e.g.
4fo8pY9.jpg

SfDkSax.jpg

vr2Xunj.jpg

2house2fly

Magister
There's elements of that in Cass's quest in New Vegas (one of your objectives is "make that bitch eat her hair") and Old World Blues("find out where the fuck you are")

mondblut

Arcane

Big Wrangle

Well I'm pretty sure any 80's commandos film has a grim setting if you look at it that way. :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom