Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
What's the deal with Ydwin? I'm level 11, over 20 hours in and I haven't seen her. I've done a chunk of the main quest and started on the faction quests.
She's on the top floor of the Animancer HQ in Neketaka, in the Sacred Stair district. She was the first sidekick I came across. You just need to pass a dialogue check to get her, iirc.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Also, don't you just love Lacrymas cherrypicking all the worst opinions he can find, ignoring all the good ones and proclaiming how all his predictions about the game turned out correct.

How is it cherry-picking negative opinions when I said I was expecting somewhat good exploration and maps on the quality level of WM1/2 and that's what people are saying? Is someone saying that the companions are good? Or that the story is great? Or that there aren't bugs?

Jezal_k23

I do remember myself making a post saying that the game is long, and someone else's post directly above my own saying that the game is short, and then shortly afterwards you went "DESPAIR, IT BEING SHORT IS AWFUL NEWS".

Lacrymas

Arcane
Yet, after that I said I wasn't expecting people to report such widely different playtimes. But, otherwise, yeah, despair is what I usually do.

Sentinel

Arcane
They've somehow managed to make Palla even more of a fucking stick-in-the-mud than she was in the first game, which is really saying something. I removed her from my party when I realized she was reacting negatively to virtually every single fucking thing my other party members were saying and having bitch-fits at the slightest provocation.
Josh Sawyer's self-insert/pet character hating the self-inserts/pet characters of the other writers you say. :hmmm:

I'd take her just to see her bitch and yell at the others, tbh. I was thinking of taking (*gasp*) Pallegina, Serafen (not sure about him) and Ydwin, but I don't know if all of them won't just be cringe and hopw roewur ne. Contrary to most people it seems, I kinda liked Pallegina in PoE1, she had a bit of fire that I personally find very alluring.
Serafen is pretty alright & Ydwin is the companion with the most interesting premise, but being a sidekick it's not explored at all. She has 0 dialogue aside from her intro.

Lacrymas

Arcane
What content do the sidekicks actually have? Only introductory dialogue, or do they interject/banter with others? What is the difference between a sidekick and adventurer, besides the fixed stats?

2house2fly

Magister
They're like the adventurers you can create, but with fixed classes, unique appearance and voice set. According to data miners there are at least some checks for having each of them in your party

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Also which faction did you guys go with? Having trouble deciding. I don't think I really like any of them unlike in FNV.
I am leaning towards either Huana or Principi. With the Huana, I actually like the queen and her brother so far. I expected two dimensional meek "natives" and instead I got some politically savvy assholes that do not go full retard. It is refreshing that the local Huana are not all characterized as naive children.

The Principi interest me, because they remind a little of Caesar's legion in the sense they are on the cusp of becoming something else, they just need an established city or political base.

Sentinel

Arcane
What content do the sidekicks actually have? Only introductory dialogue, or do they interject/banter with others? What is the difference between a sidekick and adventurer, besides the fixed stats?
They have introductory text like an npc (you'll usually find them doing something in the area by themselves and you can ask them questions about their peculiar situation) and then they join your party. From there on out they're dead silent. Don't have banter or any more dialogue.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
They have introductory text like an npc (you'll usually find them doing something in the area by themselves and you can ask them questions about their peculiar situation) and then they join your party. From there on out they're dead silent. Don't have banter or any more dialogue.
This is really sad because they are more interesting and promising than the characters we got. Animancer elf girl that looks good and decided to become a vampire,red headed mysterious stranger that doesn't know any of the languages of the area and a bulky masseur deciding to go on adventure in the dusk of its life. Every single one of them sounds better than a spoiled faggot that likes to shove string of pearls in his ass,a fanatical bisexual priestess or shark assassin.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Not to mention they have some nice stats and Ydwin has excellent dual class option. I gave her soulbound mace (which I deftly aquired by sniffing ton of drugs for that dumped resolve of mine) and she crits every hit and casts all the cheating psyker spells I need.

Btw I find it very difficult to imagine an evil playthrough with current companions. Even orlan barbarian hates slavery for example. They're all soft sassy gay people.

Bonerbill

Augur

Not entirely true.

gRmAJt4.jpg

Rekke a unique case. He doesn't talk much at first, but learns Aedyran the longer you have him. Then you're able to talk to him.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Not entirely true.

gRmAJt4.jpg

Rekke a unique case. He doesn't talk much at first, but learns Aedyran the longer you have him. Then you're able to talk to him.
:negative: I fucked my self in the ass,didn't use any of the side kicks because i read that they will just like the hires. Maybe i will try and use them once the game is finished after all the patching and DLC.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
On another note, Concelhaut fight is the best damn encounter I've had in my game.
Dat little unique shield I got at the beginning (shimmer scale) turned out very handy :smug:

That fight took a long time. Killed all his pals but didn't do any damage to the guy, until Edér got seriously wounded and I switched him to range. All of sudden I was doing insane damage with his rifle. Not sure why though, bullets pierce weird magic shields or something?
I think you didn't pay attention and started dealing damage when his protections wearied off.
The dude has quite a collection of defensive spells.
Could also be that you got lucky with his later rolls and Edér wasn't frightened ?

hmmmm.
so I went to the wahaki island, murdered the entire outpost, no one survives. Come back to the Queen, tell her they won't be joining her alliance 'cause they're dead, she's mad but says ok. Accept her next quest, the very first sentence she utters: "The wahaki will be joining us in our fight against the..."
There are several broken checks regarding this stuff.
Furrante gave me his mission to the slavers' deal twice, because after he gave it to me once, the vailian sent me to him and he gave it to me a second time.

However one event was on point
talking with the queen after I messed up the job she gave me, try to tell her "but I helped your brother !" to get another job, she shut me down immediatly "you didn't do shit for the gullet situation you fucking baboon" and cast me off :lol:

Last edited:

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think you didn't pay attention and starting dealing damage when his protections wearied off.
The dude has quite a collection of defensive spells.
Could also be that you got lucky with his later rolls and Edér wasn't frightened ?

But bullets do indeed pierce some magical defenses like Arcane Veil.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Is someone saying that the companions are good?

I have Eder, Serafen, Maia and Xoti. Eder is still Eder, Sera and Maia are pretty good, Xoti will be polarizing but she's not terrible. All of them have personality, character, opinions, agendas, and apart from Eder I'm not sure if I can trust any of them, which is cool.

Overall it's quite okay and certainly an improvement over the first game where all companions felt like anonymous passengers most of the time.

2house2fly

Magister
Apparently the sidekicks don't get ending slides, which is a shame. Even if they don't have a quest, some quick slides depending on the faction you side with, or whatever other ending options are available, would have been nice

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
I have 0 problems with the companions (besides fishboi, he's basically the dude from Moana, has a terrible voice and will not hesitate to assault your pc).
Might have to do with them never talking or doing anything.
I'm actually legit disappointed. It started with some interactions between xoti and edér, and interesting ones as Edér goes like "my bro died when ur country invaded" but it just doesn't go anywhere. And that's pretty much all party interaction I've had (besides barks and banters).

Which brings me to infighting. I have no idea how it can actually happen. Everybody loves everybody else in my party. I don't see how it could be any other way without meta gaming the shit out of it (and even then...).
Also, Nobody has any opinion on Edér.
Because they can't.
Because they never fucking say anything.

Mind you, there's probably some heat between pallegina and maia, but I didn't recruit pallegina.
Also : Aloth wasn't there. I guess I killed him in poe1 or smthg.
So if these two are essential and my experience is normal in regard of their absence, then fine. I doubt it though.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Tigranes

Arcane
Played a little bit more.

I can't say for quest reactivity or main plot or such, so maybe it's all smokes and mirrors, but at least I'm really liking Neketaka and how it feels to go around talking to people about what's going on. The worldbuilding is sensible and clearly well informed historically: e.g. the introduction of guns and other benefits that native communities seize upon to establish trade, the weird miscommunications and conflicts that break out when neither side understands the etiquette and castes of each other's societies, the strange diseases that spread when cultures come into contact, the breakdown of previously smooth social systems when these new upheavals result in increased migration and urbanisation. And none of it - again, so far - is crammed down your throat the moment you arrive in town, it's all found where you expect it to be found, and sometimes, as a stranger and foreigner wandering in, you don't get to see much of it until you go looking. I've really liked talking to the Huana in the Gullet. Again, no idea if it'll follow through on the questlines and choices you can make, but the worldbuilding part is far more sensible and interesting here than POE1 simply by virtue of picking and playing out a more interesting and less generic situation.

I guess I really need to do a bit of the crit path now to see how the combat pacing plays out. Just hopping out and exploring random islands has felt OK so far.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Apparently the sidekicks don't get ending slides, which is a shame. Even if they don't have a quest, some quick slides depending on the faction you side with, or whatever other ending options are available, would have been nice
Does the sugar bird have a quest? I finished the whole game and tried what not to start her quest but i didn't succeeded.

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Rekke do talk to you about some things within the game once he learns the language, in regards to the others i have not found them comment or talk about anything *shrugs*

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I have 0 problems with the companions (besides fishboi, he's basically the dude from Moana, has a terrible voice and will not hesitate to assault your pc).
Might have to do with them never talking or doing anything.
I'm actually legit disappointed. It started with some interactions between xoti and edér, and interesting ones as Edér goes like "my bro died when ur country invaded" but it just doesn't go anywhere. And that's pretty much all party interaction I've had (besides barks and banters).

Which brings me to infighting. I have no idea how it can actually happen. Everybody loves everybody else in my party. I don't see how it could be any other way without meta gaming the shit out of it (and even then...).
Also, Nobody has any opinion on Edér.
Because they can't.
Because they never fucking say anything.

Mind you, there's probably some heat between pallegina and maia, but I didn't recruit pallegina.
Also : Aloth wasn't there. I guess I killed him in poe1 or smthg.
So if these two are essential and my experience is normal in regard of their absence, then fine. I doubt it though.
Xoti and palegrima hate each other,they tried to kill each other 5 minutes after i put them in the same party. The rest do well within the party. I did finished the game with Eder,Xoti,ratpirate and Aloth. I used others only to see if they have any reactivity to the level/quest i was playing. Anyway,everyone outside of palegrima and Aloth are chill and don't have much problems with each other.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom