Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Perkel

Arcane
Deadfire - Q&A w/ Josh Sawyer 5/15/18 Summary
- Could Sidekicks become full companions? Josh can't speak to the DLC, but they are aware it is very desired by the players

Yes please. Can't wait to add She-Ogre cook and swearing imp to my squad. They don't need much banter, just give them unique standard voices for attack, leader of group etc. IT will be glorious.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
fantadomat
Yeah but how god how do you come to the conclusion that poe1 had more to offer ?
Also you enumerate locations like it means smthg, it's weird. Lost city, sepulchers, arkemyr's manor already represent more side content that the whole act 2 of poe had dude. Which to use your method could be summed up as such :
There's a whole district of defiance bay, it's main quest stuff, there's a side quest but it's about going in the mausoleum next door it's hardly a content. The lighthouse is the only dungeon in the city, the rest is quests about talking to somebody etc etc.
Hmmmm in the first part of poe you had the prologue outside map and the dungeon,after that you have outside map with a cave,the cave alone equals some of the mini dungeons of deadfire. Then you have the city hub with a few side quests,a few floors of dungeon. After that you have 4-5 outside levels with quite a few fights, a three level castle + outside level filled with combat. And finally we have the caed nua,outside fights and a dungeon level with two mini maps in between.

The capital city have better level design than defiance bay,but it have more or less the same quantity of content. The quality has not much difference outside of the level design. Granted the island capital have one or two dungeon levels more.

It is strange that people don't count outside areas as content in poe. They are big,bigger than most dungeon levels in dead fire. Also they have decent amount of encounters and few interesting at that. Killing drakes at lower level was a bitch. Also the light house in defiance bay was hard if you don't go overleveled.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
This has to be one of the few RPGs where you're not swimming in money.
dF1wyRX.png

All of this food and drink is stuff that gives +1 morale, it costed next tens of thousands of coins, and I have at least 100k worth of useless junk in my stash.

Shadenuat

Arcane
You absolutely swim in money later. It's the issue with superb/legendary items dropping from higher level enemies. Fight 12 nagas, get 12 naga bows. Sell them for 100k.

Also goes as an issue for itemization. Superb/legendary items are better than yellow items, unless yellow items are enchanted.

I say just remove all improved weapons except fine and maybe some exceptional (like modders did for BG by changing most +1 stuff to "fine" weapons which had some bonuses but weren't magical and didn't cost truckton of gold). Give monsters some systemic bonus instead.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
fantadomat
Yeah but how god how do you come to the conclusion that poe1 had more to offer ?
Also you enumerate locations like it means smthg, it's weird. Lost city, sepulchers, arkemyr's manor already represent more side content that the whole act 2 of poe had dude. Which to use your method could be summed up as such :
There's a whole district of defiance bay, it's main quest stuff, there's a side quest but it's about going in the mausoleum next door it's hardly a content. The lighthouse is the only dungeon in the city, the rest is quests about talking to somebody etc etc.
Hmmmm in the first part of poe you had the prologue outside map and the dungeon,after that you have outside map with a cave,the cave alone equals some of the mini dungeons of deadfire. Then you have the city hub with a few side quests,a few floors of dungeon. After that you have 4-5 outside levels with quite a few fights, a three level castle + outside level filled with combat. And finally we have the caed nua,outside fights and a dungeon level with two mini maps in between.

The capital city have better level design than defiance bay,but it have more or less the same quantity of content. The quality has not much difference outside of the level design. Granted the island capital have one or two dungeon levels more.

It is strange that people don't count outside areas as content in poe. They are big,bigger than most dungeon levels in dead fire. Also they have decent amount of encounters and few interesting at that. Killing drakes at lower level was a bitch. Also the light house in defiance bay was hard if you don't go overleveled.

lol k

Arkeus

Arcane
Josh said Classic is about where he wants it to be but Veteran and PotD are much easier than he'd like, and the reason for that is that they didn't have time to focus on balancing them what with trying to get the game out in a halfway playable state. And that once the worst bugs are patched, he intends to go over it and make them a lot harder.

I see no reason not to take him at his word. So why the need for all these theories?

(Or, if you prefer, the edgy version of Occam's razor: never ascribe to malice what can be explained by incompetence.)
Or, more honestly, that Josh has a very good track record of trying again and again to fix the difficulties, so assuming this one time will be the exception is hasty.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
This has to be one of the few RPGs where you're not swimming in money.
dF1wyRX.png

All of this food and drink is stuff that gives +1 morale, it costed next tens of thousands of coins, and I have at least 100k worth of useless junk in my stash.
Buy a better ship and all the upgrades. I am impressed that you have the patient to sell all the junk. I sold shit only when i needed the money for something. By the end i bought all the ships for the lols. At level 6 you can have the best ship with all the expensive upgrades without leaving the capital island :lol:.

Trashos

Arcane
Josh said Classic is about where he wants it to be but Veteran and PotD are much easier than he'd like, and the reason for that is that they didn't have time to focus on balancing them what with trying to get the game out in a halfway playable state. And that once the worst bugs are patched, he intends to go over it and make them a lot harder.

I see no reason not to take him at his word. So why the need for all these theories?

(Or, if you prefer, the edgy version of Occam's razor: never ascribe to malice what can be explained by incompetence.)

We discussed this a few pages ago, and you said that he errs on the side of caution. Well, I am not saying anything different here.

And I repeat that I do not have to believe what he says. Lately he has said a lot of things.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Buy a better ship and all the upgrades. I am impressed that you have the patient to sell all the junk. I sold shit only when i needed the money for something. By the end i bought all the ships for the lols. At level 6 you can have the best ship with all the expensive upgrades without leaving the capital island :lol:.
I have all the ships and best upgrades available in the game for a very long time now.

In this game you swim in oceans of cash, although a lil' bit later than in some other cRPGs.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Is there any changes to how engagement system works from the first game?

Is it still ability that every creature in the game has?

Delterius

Arcane
Because it's a waste of time in a fictional constructed narrative. Nobody will ever give you the advice to write about random disconnected events that don't matter to something within the closed plot system as a whole. And that's why it's illogical in the context of writing.

You're once again not making any sense when it comes to the story.

If the chain of events follow a logical order -- as you yourself granted it -- then they are happening within the context not only of the narrative but also of the ~world you're exploring~.

The Glanfathans attacked all nearby foreigners because the Leaden Key infringed upon the ruins. This is one of the direct consequences of the magic ritual that jumpstarts the whole plot. And it is the player's first contact with this aspect of the setting and it serves as a warning for future events. Namely in Cliaban Rilag.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
You can also move around while engaged, while in the first game you would get slapped at any movement, creating a whole lot of problems that Sensuki identified right at the very beginning of the first game's beta.

Edit: Final thoughts on deadfire's factions:
It's bad. And there's no fixing it. Their design promises but doesn't deliver. On top of the quest-breaking bugs.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Game is less trench warfare although at the end all my characters could engage, even spellcasters, and druid could engage like 3+ enemies simply by carrying a shield and having a pet (barbs/fighters etc. can go into somewhat crazy numbers like holding 5+ enemies at the same time). Enemies, however, do not seem to use all these shields, feats, unique items and multi classing, so they don't engage you and AOO you as the character system actually allows to. It's not like you ever have to deal with really strong fighters actually rushing you, with that extra tanking kit that can engage hellton of enemies and AOOs with absurd bonuses to acc & pen.

Last edited:

Reapa

Doom Preacher
also, an honest question to folks who set level scaling on and are now complaining that its bugged:

why the fuck would you ever consider enabling any form of level scalung

are you fucking stupid

lol
but more important than the stupidity of some codexers is why an obsidian rpg has an option for level scaling. they are openly admitting with audacity that encounters were not handcrafted and balanced.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
It's bad. And there's no fixing it. Their design promises but doesn't deliver. On top of the quest-breaking bugs.
Exactly this. Ideas are good, even great (natives are certainly portrayed more ambiguisly than standards of the current year would normally warrant, the same with colonizers, especially Rauatai), but execution fucking sucks big balls. And then there are bugs. Them fucking bugs. I did all the faction questlines and only Rauataian is not bugged to fucking hell,
Huana even attacked me in Ukaizo even though I was apparently allied with them

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
So we can safely say this dumpsterfire is bad but the if they pool a lot of their resources and development time to it in the following months despite the fact it flopped while they make DLCs even though they won't sell, then it can be serviceable.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
What I don't understand is that we all agree that level-scaling sucks for other games, yet people use it here.
I get that it's the "only scaling up" that people like, but it still makes you meet super buffed low level critters and fucks up the bestiary consistency.

I played with level scaling off, it's fine really.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
So we can safely say this dumpsterfire is bad but the if they pool a lot of their resources and development time to it in the following months despite the fact it flopped while they make DLCs even though they won't sell, then it can be serviceable.
Obsidian shitlords do not know how to implement their ideas and they fucked up this game by making it way too broad, way too shallow in consequence. Game is bugged, short, ending is fucked up, companions are trash, writing is crap.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Engagement system has the same problem it always had; the penalty for breaking it is too light (just a provokes an Attack of Opportunity) and fighters have no way to force an opponent to engage them via taunts. Spell/Missile weapon ranges are so low that there's virtually no distinction between a front and back line anyway. So the enemies who are scripted to gank your mages will pretty much always be able to do so.

ArchAngel

Arcane
So that's not very good then. I wonder if this is something Obsidian were expecting or are they surprised by it. No way to know though.
Well maybe MCA can ask his mole inside the company about it :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom