Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy
I must say it again, what a massive incline this game is. It keeps me hooked for hours with every launch and keep suprising in truly crpg way, and some action crpg AAA like F4, W3 or Skyrim will never be able to give that tabletop P&P feeling. Something i havn't felt since Bg2 or F2 . This game is all that i love in roleplaying games.

Last time i was so happy when playing Betrayal at Krondor years ago after it's release.
It's pinnacle of isometric crpg experience in modern times. Obsidian should be enslaved to release only next parts of Pillars and Tyranny or the like for next 20 years, they are fucking crpg masters and Black Isle / Interplay / SSI / 3DO / Mps Labs/ Origin / Troika / Silmarils/ + other GREAT ANCIENT ONES reincarnation on freaking steroids .

It's clear evidence that action crpg shit is killing the genre.
What we want is slower pace with so much climate without AAA 3d graphics which brings nothing but more plastic world with 3 short dialogue options at best [im looking at You Fallout 4 /Skyrim ] .

We want lore, depth, time to enjoy the game, big world filled with content and stories and nice oldschool-modern mechanics.
They upgraded and make step forward since PoE 1 and Tyranny in so smart way . Thank You Obsidian !
:incline::grpg::bravo::gangster::bravo::grpg::incline:

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Content doesn't need money. Or rather it needs it in the form of time.

If you're in a position to inject funds in the projet, and want an easy way to make it profitable, then VO probably looked like a good idea bc DOS2 and all. Looks like it turned out as a not so good idea.
But bottom line is, this money wouldn't have achieved jack shit in terms of content if they weren't disposed (or ready) to announce a significant delay to the release. Which is tedious when you plan revenues.

Malpercio

Arcane
Content doesn't need money. Or rather it needs it in the form of time.

If you're in a position to inject funds in the projet, and want an easy way to make it profitable, then VO probably looked like a good idea bc DOS2 and all. Looks like it turned out as a not so good idea.
But bottom line is, this money wouldn't have achieved jack shit in terms of content if they weren't disposed (or ready) to announce a significant delay to the release. Which is tedious when you plan revenues.

Full VA severally limits what you can do, though. Since everything you write will need to be voiced you can't rewrite stuff, add stuff late, etc in late production.

I have it at 7, and I still can't steal shit from both NPCs and the store. Unless I'm doing something wrong I get "You cannot pickpocket" and the items in the store are red unless all NPCs are far away.
lol an example of obsidian target audience
Oh, fuck off.

are you playing on """classic"""?
Nope.

Parabalus

Arcane
You are nitpicking, while I would hope that my main point is clear.

Is there even any encounter which doesn't die to out of sight cloudkill spam in vanilla Bg2

I can't count them because I don't use such tactics, but I 'd say the ambushes, whoever will go after you (some do), possibly Kangaxx, the early beholders in the Underdark etc. Anyway, I was mostly talking about the more advanced cheese.

Why would Jaheira get hit? She has Iron Skins, the number of enemies who will cast Breach or DM on that in unmodded can likely be counted on one hand.

The skins were gone, and then the 2 critical hits came. Don't remember why the skins were gone, maybe they timed out, maybe they were somehow breached, maybe they had been hit beforehand. It was a large battle in the Underdark, it was so traumatic that I still remember the place.

The original game has unnerfed cloak of mirroring :?.

I have discussed cloak of mirroring later, mostly that you are bound to face at least some beholders without any such protection in early playthroughs (before you know where everything is) or alternatively you need to do better than that if you want access to beholder-ridden places before Chapter 4. Sawyer's (and most modern) design goes to great length to avoid such scenarios so that muh feelings are not hurt. Anyway, cloak of mirroring is big cheese and should be avoided by serious players.

But my main point is that you can cheese or you can choose to not cheese and enjoy a game full of great fights. One can look up battle plans for each of BG2's battles in online forums (especially the older ones), the amount of creativity that has gone into them is insane. In PoE... eh, nah.

I have no idea what advanced tactics you employ against beholders, except click on them with all (hasted) party members. They spam dispels, spell failure and save or die spells - you can't defend against them except with cheese (you called it that), so you gib them before they can gib you.
Also, what "beholder ridden places" before ch4? It's just the sewer quest, the lone one (Director) in Firkraag's, Twisted Rune has one, Planer Sphere the one the golem kills for you. They don't crop up often before spellhold.

PoE1 on PotD, with story party and no consumables, had plenty of memorable fights for me - Alpine Dragon, Radiant Spore, Brynlod, Elmshore ogres, Eyeless Ambush, generally going into WM1 at lvl 4, Archmages, Ondraite packs, etc.

Interesting you found them all pushovers and the vanilla Bg2 stuff hard, guess I might just suck at PoE.

Ulfhednar

Savant
what exactly was the point of putting Maneha in the game when all she says to you is "wow didn't expect u 2 be here" and then doesnt even talk to you like what the fuck?

and who the fuck is luca?
The point of Maneha is to sacrifice her to the blood pool for +1 Might.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
what exactly was the point of putting Maneha in the game when all she says to you is "wow didn't expect u 2 be here" and then doesnt even talk to you like what the fuck?

and who the fuck is luca?
That is why all of the poe characters would be dead next time i play the game....around Christmas.

Tygrende

Arbiter
When dual wielding pistols, how do I force my character to reload both guns? With a rogue I would sometimes prefer to keep reloading until the enemy is afflicted, but the dumbass just stands there with only one loaded pistol.

Sentinel

Arcane
Weren't paid to do so. You have to understand that "gaming journalists" rarely play games, and are just people that failed to land a job with their arts degree.

Also no professional reviewer finished the game.

Trashos

Arcane
I have no idea what advanced tactics you employ against beholders, except click on them with all (hasted) party members. They spam dispels, spell failure and save or die spells - you can't defend against them except with cheese (you called it that), so you gib them before they can gib you.
Also, what "beholder ridden places" before ch4? It's just the sewer quest, the lone one (Director) in Firkraag's, Twisted Rune has one, Planer Sphere the one the golem kills for you. They don't crop up often before spellhold.

PoE1 on PotD, with story party and no consumables, had plenty of memorable fights for me - Alpine Dragon, Radiant Spore, Brynlod, Elmshore ogres, Eyeless Ambush, generally going into WM1 at lvl 4, Archmages, Ondraite packs, etc.

Interesting you found them all pushovers and the vanilla Bg2 stuff hard, guess I might just suck at PoE.

Go face all the beholders without the shield and cloak, and act like it is ironman (ie, no low % tactics that are do or die). Repeat until you figure out the least cheese that can be used in order to beat them reliably. You already know that the answer is not the same for all situations with beholders, and you get bonus points if you do it without summons (which I consider cheese, although tbf I have no doubt that a few of the fights were designed strictly with summons in mind).

I have mentioned, and you and I have discussed often, that I haven't bought TWM. There are only a handful of games I have bought addons for, and PoE1 is not one of them. I didn't hate PoE1 (I insist that SoA is superior and in an entirely different league, but that's different to hating PoE1), I just didn't like it enough to buy the addons. I am comparing vanilla SoA with original (but fully patched) PoE1. I believe this to be a fair comparison.

At any rate, people often say that TWM has better content. Maybe it is true and maybe it isn't. So I waited to see said Obsidian's incline in PoE2. But word has it that it was not included in the package. (although, technically, the reason I haven't bought it is because its writing has made me want to quit gaming altogether). Will I be asked to wait for the addons again?

Sentinel

Arcane
I just wasted 30 minutes creating a new save state and then going through the intro only to find out that it didn't save the savestates because they had a / in the name and apparently they don't get saved, but the game doesn't even warn you of it.

Holy shit.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
So is there any speculation as to why Polygon didn't release a review? I guess most 'Codexers were pointing out with their comments that this game's content should be a bull's eye in terms of their target audience. Not enough dough? Waiting until finishing the game (unlike Darth Roxor)?
Port Maeje was too difficult for them

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I just wasted 30 minutes creating a new save state and then going through the intro only to find out that it didn't save the savestates because they had a / in the name and apparently they don't get saved, but the game doesn't even warn you of it.

Holy shit.
Suffer as i have :) .
Can we save during prologue before character creation ?
No!

Go face all the beholders without the shield and cloak, and act like it is ironman (ie, no low % tactics that are do or die). Repeat until you figure out the least cheese that can be used in order to beat them reliably. You already know that the answer is not the same for all situations with beholders, and you get bonus points if you do it without summons (which I consider cheese, although tbf I have no doubt that a few of the fights were designed strictly with summons in mind).

I have mentioned, and you and I have discussed often, that I haven't bought TWM. There are only a handful of games I have bought addons for, and PoE1 is not one of them. I didn't hate PoE1 (I insist that SoA is superior and in an entirely different league, but that's different to hating PoE1), I just didn't like it enough to buy the addons. I am comparing vanilla SoA with original (but fully patched) PoE1. I believe this to be a fair comparison.

At any rate, people often say that TWM has better content. Maybe it is true and maybe it isn't. So I waited to see said Obsidian's incline in PoE2. But word has it that it was not included in the package. (although, technically, the reason I haven't bought it is because its writing has made me want to quit gaming altogether). Will I be asked to wait for the addons again?
No wonder people hate on BG,they just use a few cheesy tactics and call the game easy. I never use potions and summons,direct confrontation is the best way :lol:. I remember the battle at the bridge in the forgotten city or what ever its name was,it is in the sewers,beneath the temple district. It is pretty fun and hard battle.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Using potions and summons is cheesy...?
Depending on how you use them :). I didn't meant it that way thou. I just stated that i don't use them. Cheesy is to use a small door to block the iron golem while Minsc is fucking him up with a two handed sword just outside of golem's range :lol:,or using cloud kill on certain dragon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom