Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I check the steam forums and everybody is talking about how the first game was better, and then I check back here and you guys are all positive now. Did not see that coming...
While trying to get away from grognards with his IE games resurrection, Josh inadvertently created a new generation of grognards - the "I played PoE back when it was cool, 3 fucking years ago, mutha!" grognards.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I check the steam forums and everybody is talking about how the first game was better, and then I check back here and you guys are all positive now. Did not see that coming...

To be honest, the first game had aspects that were better and if you came in at WM with 3.x you had much better encounters and difficulty overall.

Combined with the fact that the "mainstream" like the European medieval fantasy setting more than some weird Pacific one and that the people that bought Deadfire selected heavily for people that actually liked PoE, this is not superstrange.

That people on an RPG forum that didn't particularly enjoy PoE overall is still interested and even prefer the second game to the first is not some unreasonable outcome either.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Can't believe how short and disjointed the main story is, how the hell did they managed to make it so short ? It's only 3 islands and they can be completed in less than 20 minutes, it's mind boggling how short it is, it has to be in top 5 shortest main stories. Also the story feels disjointed from the entire map, you go from island to island and nobody seems to give a shit that a giant god is going to destroy the cycle of life, you keep getting these insipid quests which are still not far from the PoE 1 quality. Can't believe that I'm about to say this, but the pacing and coherence is much better in PoE 1, at least the story tries to be a little tighter and not run of the rail like in PoE 2.

I'm sorry but PoE 1 was better, the game was harder, the encounters didn't feel so stale, the pacing was better, the companions were better, the dungeons were better, almost everything was better and I didn't even like PoE 1. This is not the jump in quality that we got from BG 1 to BG 2, I don't even want to say about this one.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
'sup goy you have something i want'
'b-but it was gift from queen, much honour!!!!'
'yeah well i still need it'
'ok take it with my blessing'

amazing

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Did anyone recruit all the NPCs who can join the ship crew? I've got the prison dude, Rauatai cannoneer, old elf who owed a lot of money and ogress cook from The Hole. Anyone else?

There's a xaurip cook (that don't have wages) and a dwarf deckhand on a cannibal island
os7vJRl.png

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Jesus Christ the longer quest chains are so ridiculously broken in this game. It could take a few hints from ELEX how to make sure quests still werk when the player steps off the rails.

I speak to princu in tikitaka palace for the first time. At the end of the dialogue he says:

"Hey, wanna make yourself useful?"

My only option is 1. Farewell

uhhh

I speak to him again

1. There be smugglers in undacroft!
2. [Lie] I didn't find anything.
3. I hab sum questions.
4. Farewell.

uhhhhhhhhhhhh

so I pick 3, and then he gives me the quest to investigate smugglers in the gullet. Blablablabla, I return to dialogue root. Suddenly I get only

1. [Lie] I didun find nuthin.
2. I hab sum questions.
3. Farewell.

stonedm_a769bc4.jpg

Reinhardt

Arcane
It's no wonder dwarf shiptrader is broke. He's retard and disgrace to all dwarves.

- So i've fixed your problem with pirates. Btw they robbed captain so she don't need those cannons anymore. I can buy them from you.
- Cool! I need money! 1000 gold. But because your rauatai wymmyn talks too much it's 500 more now.
- But i've helped you just now!
- I don't care.
- But 1500/4=375. Nigga, you are selling same brand new cannons for 360 each if i just buy them directly from shop.

Next time i'll let doggo pirate rape his ass.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
I'm sorry but PoE 1 was better, the game was harder, the encounters didn't feel so stale, the pacing was better, the companions were better, the dungeons were better, almost everything was better and I didn't even like PoE 1. This is not the jump in quality that we got from BG 1 to BG 2, I don't even want to say about this one.

Yeah, I don't know. The first game suffocated me with its mediocrity and long boring exposition. Deadfire has its flaws, but there are things I can point to that are clearly great. The character building is great, the mechanics are great, the itemization is great, the reactivity is great, and the city of Neketaka is really fucking great! POE1 on the other hand is completely average in every respect.

Xeon

Augur
I am kinda glad the main story is short, most stories suck balls with a lot of dramas, this one has a short and sweet main with a lot of optional content. I don't want to sit through crappy main story if I don't enjoy it just to get to the other contents.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The difficulty patch probably won't arrive soon, depending on what exactly they do. If they go through the encounters and redesign them, we'll wait quite a lot, maybe even after the first DLC patch. If they just generally buff the numbers of mobs, then it probably won't take that long. The first option is preferable.

Xeon

Augur
Wonder if that's because of the voice acting, or it was mostly to trip down the fat and avoid making dialogues like it was in PoE.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Also, I find it sorta funny how Pallegina turned into a militant aethist in this game.

Also2, companions get annoyed selection quotes if you piss them off. Lulz.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Honestly, the amount of reactivity from the first game is genuinely impressive. I expected save imports to be limited to cheap fan service of meeting some old characters and exchanging a few short lines of dialogue with them. But they really went far the fuck above what I expected.

And it's not just flavor text, some of it has real impact on gameplay. Watcher having different skills, different buffs, items may or not be available. It's really fucking nicely done and I can't think of any game that did such a good job with sequel reactivity.

Wasted time and resources.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy

Yeah, I don't know. The first game suffocated me with its mediocrity and long boring exposition. Deadfire has its flaws, but there are things I can point to that are clearly great. The character building is great, the mechanics are great, the itemization is great, the reactivity is great, and the city of Neketaka is really fucking great! POE1 on the other hand is completely average in every respect.

Yes, but the story is worse, the companions are worse, the encounters mostly consist of enemies standing a circle in the middle of nowhere waiting for you to kill them, the dungeons consist of 1 or 2 small maps that you can clear in less than 10 minutes, the difficulty is non-existant at the moment and the AI is so stupid that it doesn't even try to move out of AoE spells and so many other small things that made the game unplayable for me. I'm sorry but having a sligther bigger city and some other smaller improvements are not going to make up for major issues, like a bad main story, lazy encounters and non existent difficulty. And no, having a game in playable state 1 year after it's release is not going to make people happier.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Honestly, the amount of reactivity from the first game is genuinely impressive. I expected save imports to be limited to cheap fan service of meeting some old characters and exchanging a few short lines of dialogue with them. But they really went far the fuck above what I expected.

And it's not just flavor text, some of it has real impact on gameplay. Watcher having different skills, different buffs, items may or not be available. It's really fucking nicely done and I can't think of any game that did such a good job with sequel reactivity.

Wasted time and resources.
Game hasn't got enough C&C - Game is shit and not a real RPG.
Game has some pretty meaningful C@C - It was a wasted time and resources.
^
The key to understand the Codex.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Game hasn't got enough C&C - Game is shit and not a real RPG.
Game has some pretty meaningful C@C - It was a wasted time and resources.
^
The key to understand the Codex.

The game shouldn't have been a sequel and that development time and resources should have been used for reactivity in the game itself.
I can agree with that, but if we look at the game we got, I think it is pretty cool that they went out of their way to make this kind of reactivity.

Xeon

Augur
Wasn't PoE1 at release also really easy? I only played it at release and dropped it, and it was easy just the same aside from Adra, so with the balancing patch that Sawyer promised some time in the near future, things might get better combat wise, but from trash encounters, PoE2 is a lot better now and hopefully that doesn't change.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
the encounters mostly consist of enemies standing a circle in the middle of nowhere waiting for you to kill them

poe1 encounters mostly consisted of lions

the dungeons consist of 1 or 2 small maps that you can clear in less than 10 minutes

apart from caed nua (which was horrible) it was the same for poe1

the difficulty is non-existant at the moment

i went through the first game using select all -> left click in every fight from start to finish

the AI is so stupid that it doesn't even try to move out of AoE spells

as if that were different in the previous game

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom