Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Erebus

Arcane
My issue with Tekehu is that if while "chosen one" companion who is full of himself is a neat idea, he actually by far the most useless companion in combat because of terrible attributes. So it is really jarring to hear him boast and brag all the time and then be about as useful as as a submarine in Sahara.

Even with poor attributes, I'm not sure druids can be useless.

While Tekehu's boasting and flirting are a bit over the top, he does have a personality beyond that. I appreciated him as a companion a lot more than Aloth.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I started replaying Tyranny today with the DLC and the beginning is so much more compelling. I can’t understand why they didn’t just copy Tyranny’s conquest mode for building your history at the start of Deadfire.

And the opening, jesus. The world grabs you in a way that Eora never really does.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
No, there is no actual reason for that empty superficial assertion made for a dumb cheap fetch quest presented in the whole game, while every bit of the setting and gameplay we experience speaks directly against it.

There is no need for you to 'experience' this bit of lore via gameplay fuckwit.

You don't have to fight against starving Aumaua to accept that sometimes individuals were singled out to receive less/ no food. The fact that you find loaves of bread and enough fish lying around to suit the buffing needs of your little party at the point in time the game takes place says nothing about how much food the entire settlement may have had available at points in the past.

What about the settlement being under siege and the food running out? What about prolonged warfare that forces people to do other things but produce food? Can you even wrap your head around that?

Honestly, I'm done with this shit. Your autism is so severe and your head so far up your ass, it's like arguing with a toddler that it shouldn't crap in daddy's bed.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
I started replaying Tyranny today with the DLC and the beginning is so much more compelling. I can’t understand why they didn’t just copy Tyranny’s conquest mode for building your history at the start of Deadfire.

And the opening, jesus. The world grabs you in a way that Eora never really does.

It's Obsidian's only good game in last 8 years.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath

If you mean the weeping statue, and not the Conquest, it's pretty much the only creative and striking visual in the game, it speaks for itself that I remember it.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
I guess real life has shit writing too, sometimes.
Yes.
Yes it has.

:negative:

The conquest phase in tyranny, now that I think of it, is probably the reason why I can't get myself to play this game.
It's - like - a shining example of how to completely miss the specificity of the medium. And design-wise, starting with this is so damn weird, and somewhat bold, but really doesn't do the trick for me.

Cross

Arcane

Tyranny's conquest mode is one of the worst openings to a game I've seen. It drowns you in a sea of lore and backstory and asks you to make decicions about factions you've never met and places you've never been to, much less have any reason to care about. It's like the people working on the game were so obsessed with their stated goal of having 'choice and consequence' that they pursued it as some abstract goal of itself, without any effort to engage or involve the player.

And all throughout the conquest mode, your character is depicted as a mighty general responsible for turning the tides of war.

Then you start the game and you're level 1 and with nothing on you but the clothes on your back. :lol:

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
It really does force you to choose between sides you don't know anything about, so from your perspective choosing anything is trivial.

Wolfe

Arbiter
- Short length (40 hours, about the same as PoE 1 even after exploring the entire map, which was surprising given how Obsidian were saying how huge this one would be)

I just don't understand this. I remember PoE 1 on Normal took me around 60 to 65 hours to complete in its entirety. I was pleasantly surprised that the second took me about 85 on PotD, which was as difficult as PoE 1's normal. I'm confused as to how people are completing everything in 40 hours. Aside from that, I agree with your other cons for the game.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
deadfire is one of those games with very modulable types of play
if you don't read or read absolutely everything, if you play on normal with AI and fast speed combat or if you play on potd with slow speed combat etc etc

Also, at the moment, I don't know how one could not set the speed to fast and quickly rush to the end past the level 15 or so. It's just too boring, the only redeeming aspect being exploration, but this only works on the first playthrough, really.
I thought like replaying through the game with different companions during the first playthrough, but the last third or fourth of my game just completely killed any motivation. Better wait for proper updates, and also dlcs to add some much, much needed content at high level.

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
why tekehu no personal quest like all other companions

Him tagging along as you do the main quest is basically his (unmarked) side quest.

and the watershaper guild - waterdragon quest is another part of it

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I just don't understand this. I remember PoE 1 on Normal took me around 60 to 65 hours to complete in its entirety. I was pleasantly surprised that the second took me about 85 on PotD, which was as difficult as PoE 1's normal. I'm confused as to how people are completing everything in 40 hours. Aside from that, I agree with your other cons for the game.
Different reading speed and different level/quest comprehension. Also different amount of battle pausing.

Fairfax

Arcane
tIwyVxO.png

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Tyranny's conquest mode is one of the worst openings to a game I've seen. It drowns you in a sea of lore and backstory and asks you to make decicions about factions you've never met and places you've never been to, much less have any reason to care about. It's like the people working on the game were so obsessed with their stated goal of having 'choice and consequence' that they pursued it as some abstract goal of itself, without any effort to engage or involve the player.

And all throughout the conquest mode, your character is depicted as a mighty general responsible for turning the tides of war.

Then you start the game and you're level 1 and with nothing on you but the clothes on your back. :lol:

Have you seen the history creator in Deadfire? It contains almost no information on each choice whatsoever. You’re just making a bunch of random decisions with zero context if you never played the first game. Compared to that, Conquest (which is skippable if you hate it) looks pretty damn good.

I disagree, though. The intro narration tells you all you need to know about the two factions for the purpose of conquest mode. And you don’t need to care about them or the places you’re destroying. The point is to give your character a backstory. How much lore do you really need to make a decision like “negotiate with the enemy queen or kill her,” or “enslave the captured wizards or kill them.” It’s like a much more thorough way of picking your alignment in D&D.

If Tyranny had given you more information up front, I imagine people would be shitting all over it for opening with a massive loredump—is that what you want?

You could start the game at level 10 with fancier looking weapons, but that would still effectively be level 1.

Anyway, I think everything at the start of Tyranny is better than the start of Deadfire, although admittedly that’s not saying much. Conquest is superior to walking slowly through the underworld and taking to Berath. The beginning of Tyranny where you start in the middle of a fight and dive right into the core conflict is better than Port Maje where you spend hours learning the ropes on a starter island where you only get major exposure to a single faction. The first map of Tyranny is much more fun as a tutorial than the shipwreck on the beach map in Deadfire. And “defeat the enemy or we all die in a week,” is a better hook than “I’m chasing a giant statue.”

Deadfire does become a lot better than Tyranny once you get to Neketaka—there’s no equivalent in Tyranny. The quest design is way better where it’s not bugged. But I do feel like Tyranny with Deadfire’s quest design, and Deadfire’s big capital city, and Deadfire’s character building/combat would have been a truly great game. Or, conversely, Deadfire but with Tyranny’s setting, tone, branching narrative, and cartoonishly grimdark characters.

Lacrymas

Arcane
They could've let you explore a siege camp with both Disfavored and Scarlet Chorus soldiers in it or something like that before beginning the Conquest thing, so you can acclimate to who is who and who you are up against. You should start next to an NPC that can begin the Conquest immediately to accommodate repeat playthroughs. Not caring about who you kill or capture is pretty telling how trivial the choices are without context. A lot of the Conquest choices matter later, so it isn't something that will be forgotten the moment it ends.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Also why did the ship need to crash, washed up on the beach must be the worst story hook ever. Let's just park to first city's docks for fucks sake, then you can have your same story with repairs with nothing else changing. This obsession with tutorial dungeons is so questionable and debatable, I don't know why some developers now think its the best way to open games.

What does that even mean? How can you wear a smile like trousers? Some, or arguably even most, sentences don't need to be bloated with some flowery bullshit, weak similes, or whatever. Unless you're a highschooler who needs to reach some word count for an essay or something.
Come to think of it, the player obviously sees that Sawyer blocks their path, why even write anything at all?

Felix

Arcane
Neketaka is what Defiance Bay should have been.

Rekke is the better companion btw.

Jezal_k23

I think Defiance Bay and by extension Twin Elms are what they were destined to be, what with the requirement of having 2 cities.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
deadfire is one of those games with very modulable types of play
if you don't read or read absolutely everything, if you play on normal with AI and fast speed combat or if you play on potd with slow speed combat etc etc

Also, at the moment, I don't know how one could not set the speed to fast and quickly rush to the end past the level 15 or so. It's just too boring, the only redeeming aspect being exploration, but this only works on the first playthrough, really.
I thought like replaying through the game with different companions during the first playthrough, but the last third or fourth of my game just completely killed any motivation. Better wait for proper updates, and also dlcs to add some much, much needed content at high level.

Honestly I found it quite fun to replay if you just ignore the main plot and challenge yourself to kill some of the harder island bosses as early as possible.

But you are right, the strange thing about Deadfire is that it nullifies its own biggest strengths. It has phenomenal itemization and character development and all the associated mechanic, but it doesn't give you a reason to actually use them. And I'm not sure if patches can fix it either because the game still won't have even one really combat focused area.

Supposedly one of the upcoming DLCs is supposed to be entirely dedicated to endgame combat, but will that be enough, fuck knows.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
The problem with making decisions in an RPG 'blind' before having formed any emotional connection with the material is that any sane and rational player will simply google what perks/items/bonuses are granted by which decisions and thus min/max Conquest mode or its equivalent.

...wait, you're saying that's "degenerate gameplay"? Well, I never!! Good day, SIR.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom