Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Frozen

Arcane
Selling PC junk on the internetz.
Lots of crap accumulated in 10y so I decided to give it a try.
Its mix of strategy and survival horror when you meet all those wonderful and interesting people.

sullynathan

Arcane
I beat Satan. He really wasn't difficult if you enter the battle with the right combination of pills and activated powers.

The decapitation power works well and the power pill is overpowered.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis

I picked the Group playstyle (didn't try the other two paths) and I enjoyed the first third of the game (the ghost puzzle was a particular highlight). I would say the game goes to shit after the Dig Site. At that point I was infuriated by the collectathon of items, the backtracking, the fucking maze, having to make more and beads, the slow fucking crab boat....but that ghost puzzle was really cool!

The game is on-rails from the start up until you reach the point where you make the choice, then branches off into three seperate paths (all taking place on Knossos) which then all converge at the moment you enter Atlantis... meaning you have to keep making beads and sail on the crab boat no matter what.

The "Fists" path is shorter than the other two, doesn't have many puzzles, but you have to do that fighting-minigame a lot. It's not really that fun.

The "Brains" path is Indy solving puzzles solo in Knossos. Don't remember much about it except the puzzles are harder than in the "Group" path.

Ivan

Arcane
Yeah, I much enjoyed the structure of the puzzles in the first half. I can only speak for the Group Path, but I really liked how they were interconnected between the different travel zones.

To go from that to a maze with a boring dozen rooms to explore, and to be interrupted by guards was so annoying. That being said, I'm not the type of person to keep shitting on a game. I really did enjoy the ghost puzzle, as well ass the puzzles featured in the University. Fun stuff! I did find it weird that I found two chests in the University that I managed to find keys for but didn't contain anything. I thought that was pretty surprising. I'd give it another shot and play in a different style if its gets remastered.

janior

Arcane
Patron
Finished Unreal, it was eh, alright i guess didn't age that well imo, AI is pretty interesting, some maps were really bad some were alright/good. I was getting lost quite a bit too... but it was probably my fault cause i didn't really read any of the textlogs lying around the levels. Last 2 levels were very enjoyable, mixed feeling about this one.
Also done with Arcane Dimensions for Quake it's a must play if you like first Quake/first-person shooters. Pretty much all the maps except maybe 2 were masterpieces, changes to enemies/new enemies/projectile based shotgun all were fucking awsome imo.
Replaying the Ultimate DOOM felt as good as playing it for the first time.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Yeah, I much enjoyed the structure of the puzzles in the first half. I can only speak for the Group Path, but I really liked how they were interconnected between the different travel zones.

To go from that to a maze with a boring dozen rooms to explore, and to be interrupted by guards was so annoying. That being said, I'm not the type of person to keep shitting on a game. I really did enjoy the ghost puzzle, as well ass the puzzles featured in the University. Fun stuff! I did find it weird that I found two chests in the University that I managed to find keys for but didn't contain anything. I thought that was pretty surprising. I'd give it another shot and play in a different style if its gets remastered.

The reason for the two empty chests is because there's some degree of randomization, that item isn't always in the same spot.

And if Disney have any sense in them, Fate of Atlantis will get remastered around the same time the next Indy film is released.

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
I am playing Majora's Mask. I made it out of the second dungeon, realised there are only four. This has diminished my interest in the game. It's a good concept, I get it, not sure if I'll follow it through or just jump to a different Zelda.

Play a different Zelda. I finally beat Majora's mask this year and I'd only ever beaten the first couple of dungeons on previous attempts. You aren't missing much if you abandon it now imho.
The whole game is a SLAM DUNKtm that Nintendo churned out after Oracle of time.
it has some cool ideas, but backtracking and yeah.. 4 dungeons.. wtf mean it's a dissappointment imo.

wyes gull

Savant
Late to the party as usual, trying out Far Cry 3 for the first time.
Surprised at how good it looks, disappointed at how weird it sounds. Positional audio is sorta broken and animals particularly have issues; a dog can be barking right next to me and it sounds like he's in a tunnel half a mile away.
So many things that annoy me about this thing: A map full of checkmarks. The automap. The map not being an in-game item (yes I have issues with maps). XP for this, XP for that. Have to unlock sliding. Needing to unload 20 assault rifle bullets to down a tiger (useful in capturing outposts tho). PLANTS PLANTS AND EVEN MORE PLANTS. Need a better wallet to have more money (wot). Fucking EVERY goddamn tower is a fucking platforming "puzzle", jesus fuck just let me walk up the stairs ffs.
The good bits are still just as good as in 2, however. One in particular got me L'ing OL. A routine "burn this nigga's weed" mission a la GTA:SA turns into the character shouting "This is awesome!" as I burn niggas down in a shantytown whose (previous) inhabitants are hanging by the neck in front of their own huts. And this while some random dubstep (skrillex?) blares through the speakers. LMAO. This thing is so tone deaf I'm afraid it's going to morph into a canadian musician. Surprised this one mission (game?) made it past the censors tbh; good on it for being a game and not giving a shit.
Could be having more fun if it didn't remind me of how job-like it is checking all those icons but I'm not entirely disliking it thus far.

Ed- Oh and the items. So many items. So much fucking trash. God damn this monetary system is shite.

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis

I picked the Group playstyle (didn't try the other two paths) and I enjoyed the first third of the game (the ghost puzzle was a particular highlight). I would say the game goes to shit after the Dig Site. At that point I was infuriated by the collectathon of items, the backtracking, the fucking maze, having to make more and beads, the slow fucking crab boat....but that ghost puzzle was really cool!
:x
Same here. I gave up during the maze. It was so good before that point, but that is absolute shit.

Cael

Arcane
Same here. I gave up during the maze. It was so good before that point, but that is absolute shit.
Hahaha! I gave up at the maze also. I kept turning up in the same old places and I got sick of it and went to play Star Control 2 instead :D

Mark.L.Joy

Prophet
Just shooters for the last few months
Red Orchestra 2: still enjoy it maybe more than rs 2, long distance shots guess you could call it camping, dunno if there's any game that does it quite like this at least online, very intense when you get behind enemy lines but the game doesn't seem made for close quarters can't tell how many times I've pointed at target, heard my shot coming out but still can't get a kill, fun can depend on teammates.

Insurgency: I dunno shots seem to lack a punch, getting shot from weird angles, matches are decided by weird trick shots with grenades.

Battlefront 2: still enjoyed the campaign good fun for for 2,50 not many people online.

Dark Forces 2: good level design complex and intuitive in a weird way

Doom(new): mediocre, would be better if they removed cutscenes and just let me play but they can't help themselves, aweshum pinata button.

Project Brutality:it's doom

flyingjohn

Arcane
A adventure game called Sun flower and rain on the ds. Fuck suda 51.He should be strapped down to a chair and made to play torment until he understands the concept of writing and pacing.
Basically you are a guy send to a island to do a task.It quickly becomes a hedgehog like day mystery.

-Plot:
Shit because of the pacing.
8/10 of the game is just filler that accomplishes nothing.Only the last portion of the game has proper plot and the plot is just stupid.Imagine a child making shit up after watching a sci fi movie and even that makes more sense.
The writing is even worse.It is mostly just gibberish(pirate wrestler,soccer obsessed guy) or suda's own thoughts about random things.It doesn't help that the audio is okami like noises to piss you off even more.

-Gameplay.
Somehow even worse.
Most if not all the puzzles in the game are input the correct number.Most of the solutions for these numbers are in your guidebook.It is a 50 page guide that has 90 percent of useless information and 10 percent correct information.What fun!It also doesn't help that these puzzles are not usually connected to what is happening in front of you.
"Hahah, i have poisoned somebody and you must save them.By answering a random horoscope board game thing on your guide."
There are no items in the game whatsoever.

And there are 2 types of puzzles.
Puzzle 1:Story puzzles which you need to solve in order to progress.These are usually small in numbers(1-2) and stupidly easy.
Puzzles 2:Optional puzzles you need to find around.These are annoying to find because you just mash the interact with everything considering some of them are in random corners or locations.How fun! There is a limited use ability to search for them but it is limited and you need to be in the correct spot.These puzzles are actually challenging somewhat but are still "input numbers".

The other game play is backtracking.Yes you too can enjoy the wonderful thrill of walking back and forth with a lot of loading screens and slow animations too!
Oh and every single time you want to a puzzle you need the connect the correct jack.It is simply trial and error and even the game says so.

The graphics are simply amazing:

I think even the snes could do better.

If you are a suda fan,just watch it on youtube.There was no reason this couldn't have been a shorter visual novel.
Or even better,just play hotel dusk or any other ds adventure/visual game.

Dux

Arcane
Pool of Radiance

I never played any of the Gold Box games when I was younger, simply because it was before my time. So this was all new to me and there were some hurdles initially, to be sure, but nothing too bad. I have to say this is 24 hours well spent and I can't wait to continue on with the next installment. Tyranthraxus was a bit cheap, though, with his one-hit kills and all. I don't mind him dishing out the pain but at least give my guy a chance to hit back. I got him in the end, though, and that's all that matters, even if my thief got incinerated. The archaic interface gave me a few headaches in the beginning, no doubt, and there were some horribly redundant battles with like 30+ kobolds that didn't really serve any purpose. That was before I got my Fireball. Other than that it's pretty smooth sailing with a surprising amount of C&C. Dux approves. Onwards to the Azure Bonds.

:greatjob:

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
I pretty much exclusively play Victoria 2 these days and it's really all I've played in the past 2 years or so.

I started another BG1 playthrough for the first time in like a decade since I was inspired by some bg1 vs bg2 arguments I got into, got bored after a few hours and gave up though.

BlackGoat

Arbiter
Been all over the place the past month or so. Hard to stay focused on any one thing. Lots of emulation going on.

Played thru the first Armored Core, which was cool but I'm more looking forward to the later games. Played thru Castlevania Symphony of the Night for the first time, which felt pretty brilliant as a complete aesthetic piece even as it often failed in terms of interesting gameplay, but it was fun if not quite Super Metroid, and I'm looking forward to all the other Metroid-like Castlevanias on DS and Advance.

Also making my way thru the Metal Gear Solids, finished the first one after having started it at a friend's house 20 years ago, currently halfway thru the second. Considering going in on a PS3 so I can just play the HD collection for the third game and also get in on the 4th one, and Demon's Souls too of course. Also dabbled with Zone of the Enders which again might be better to play on a PS3 and in HD as my PC can't quite keep up with emulating some of what's going on (at least in the second game).

Got a hand-me-down PS4 from a friend and making my way thru Bloodborne, halfway thru the DLC. Great game, but still lacks a certain DS1ness, which King's Field Ancient City seems to have, at least so far, as I'm only a little ways into that as well, tho I'm thinking I might just go back and start with King's Field 1 and go game by game thru those and the Shadow Tower games and the rest of the DS lineage.

On the PC front, just beat Might and Magic Isles of Terra and now playing World of Xeen, which feels like a drastic improvement despite adding seemingly quite little (if one were to itemize). Lots of nice little touches and extra detail that make the world feel like more of a real space.

Also doing a mission here and there in Wing Commander III and making my way slowly thru Fallout New Vegas and all its DLCs. And Openxcom.

Oh, and playing Her Story with the lady. Cool little game.

Last edited:

BlackGoat

Arbiter
Pool of Radiance

I never played any of the Gold Box games when I was younger, simply because it was before my time. So this was all new to me and there were some hurdles initially, to be sure, but nothing too bad. I have to say this is 24 hours well spent and I can't wait to continue on with the next installment. Tyranthraxus was a bit cheap, though, with his one-hit kills and all. I don't mind him dishing out the pain but at least give my guy a chance to hit back. I got him in the end, though, and that's all that matters, even if my thief got incinerated. The archaic interface gave me a few headaches in the beginning, no doubt, and there were some horribly redundant battles with like 30+ kobolds that didn't really serve any purpose. That was before I got my Fireball. Other than that it's pretty smooth sailing with a surprising amount of C&C. Dux approves. Onwards to the Azure Bonds.

:greatjob:
Are you playing with the Gold Box Companion? I still need to get into these games. Dipped my toe into PoR and realized it might become an obsession so put it off for now.

Dux

Arcane
I did play with the GBC, yes, to a certain extent. It's really handy, especially when it comes to accessing journal entries on the fly. You can also store memorised spells. When I first started playing PoR, I genuinely believed I was going to be frustrated and lost most of the time but when I got into it, it DID become like an obsession. It's quite addictive when things get going, no doubt about it. It's worth it, though.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Since upgrading my PC and returning to playing games I have played these games in a row, completing them all:

Fallout 4
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Grand Theft Auto V

Of the three Deus Ex 4 was by far the most enjoyable, despite its flaws. Aimless story and only one city is boo-hoo cry, but the same solid mechanics from Human Revolution are there which I personally loved (fight me bitch). I thought I'd love GTA5 but man I hated Trevor and the game seemed to drag on and on and on and... it just lacked the snap and great characters of IV for me. I dunno, maybe I wasn't in the mood (or have just moved on from that kind of game; the driving drove me nuts). Fallout 4... love that they improved the shooting, tried to have a faction system and made pretty lighting. Still has the same Bethesda issues though, pales in comparison to New Vegas as an RPG.

Now I am playing Pillars of Eternity, which is a slog honestly (sorry Obsidian!), and Fallout 4's Far Harbor and Nuka World DLCs.

If I ever fucking finish Pillars I plan to play Dishonored 2 next.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Dark Souls Remastered (PC)
Well, not bad for $20. I don't play PVP, and I felt the upgrades were worth it over the original release. Lighting seems different from what I remember, not better or worse, just different.
I could never get 60fps working on the original using DSFIX, so that alone makes this worth it I guess.
Put 12 hours into this over the past few days, playing as a pure pyromancer (which was the first class I ever played/finished the game with, back on the PS3).

[Edit] I want to add, every time I play any of the Souls games, I am extremely impressed with the translation. There's no awkward stuff (it helps that the original Japanese text for these games lacks your typical weird ass Japanese stuff), and whoever translated these games is a hero as far as I am concerned. The Japanese versions of these games were all voiced in English, so obviously they had native English speakers involved from the very beginning. Apparently the translators were given a ton of leeway in producing the English script/dialog with full support from Miyazaki.

Wizardry Llylgamyn Saga (PSX)
Great version of Wiz 1-3. Currently playing Wiz 1. I've got down to level 6, and my characters are all around level 9-10. I never really thought of Wiz as being a game with any replayability, but I was completely wrong. It's been just as fun playing this on PSX as it was playing the DOS version. I hand mapped the DOS version, so I am using the automap this time.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom