Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The New World Update #27: State of the Game - First Animations

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
If a 14 year old kid can handle AR-15 and a shotgun and do well in a competition against more experienced men...

This girl have biceps I had when served in army lol.
It's not a typical girl for sure.

The question is, what does it add to gameplay?

They could be like two different classes to play - man and woman.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This girl have biceps I had when served in army lol.
It's not a typical girl for sure.

They could be like two different classes to play - man and woman.

If you want to play as an “average woman,” just dump STR and CON and pump Charisma. The game may not do this for you automatically, but there’s nothing stopping you from building a weak female PC.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I like the look, but the animations really are goofily exaggerated. Silent Storm could be a good reference point for animating it without making the guy look like he has foam noodles for arms. IMO, the biggest "visual" read with guns is not even the recoil, but the flash and the way the weapon sounds.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
giphy.gif

:lol:

This is how the animation should look like in TNW imo, i dunno, for the aimed shot or something.

Parabalus

Arcane
These look great, maybe slightly comical? Looks to be made for the in-game camera perspective, so it just might be this angle.

I do hope you make all kinds of death animations á la fallout if you the have time and ressources, but mostly just implement a good combat system with great mechanics.

AoD death/execution animations were some of the best I've ever seen, I'm sure TNW can only be even better in this regard.

fobia

Growing up in a rural area I had plenty of opportunities to shoot and more importantly, with a lot of guns that were not intended to be held by kids (or civilians imho).
I saw a lot of people hitting themselves in the head with their guns (pistols mostly), mainly because they had no idea/training how to hold a gun the right way. And no I'm not talking about holding them sideways.
Gender wasn't the cause. What made these accidents happen was overconfidence, stupidity and/or blood alcohol (no, I'm not from the Balkans).
Of course, there are guns that have a recoil/weight that is hard to handle, but the average male will not have a much easier time than a woman, if he doesn't know what he's doing.
The simple fact is, more men are trained in handling guns than women. Those who aren't trained are perfectly able to make an ass of themselves despite their y chromosome.

Now I could start a discussion about variation of strength within the two genders, but knowing that I'd cause a lot of butthurt pointing to the fact that most men don't represent the male body ideal at all, I'll quietly sneak out of this thread.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
You see, when someone trying to make a point that modern european-american man and woman is a sample I start to laugh hard.
These are degenerated в некоторой степени, they can't be the sample.

Took better arabs (not even negroes) for thatand compare man and woman.

Saduj

Arcane
The protagonist in an RPG is not supposed to represent the average person. And characters who don't have training and experience with firearms - represented by a skill point investment - aren't going to be effective with firearms. This really seems like a complete non-issue.

Now, female characters being able to become melee beasts on the other hand....
:troll:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Can you post a couple? For some reason I see only the sprites but not the animations.

fucking lol, get criticized for stiff, boring animations, get told about the Fallout animations.... the answer? "Can you post a a couple?" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
So, VD either never saw the Fallout animations and he's genuinely curious or he's like " come on, bro, let's have a contest here and now, i know mine are better"

Yeah, VD you totally do it much better, that's why you replaced actions in AOD with hyperlinks because you couldn't afford the animations. Meanwhile the primitive Fallout did such primitive things like reusing the "use" animation. Couldn't have something so primitive in a masterpiece like AOD.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
FeelTheButtHurt, calm down bro. You are not being constructive. Why you shitting on Vince? He's just curious and reaching out for a dialogue about animations, obviously fallout being an inspiration.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
For a critical miss! :) But we won't have any critical miss. Damn it.

Hitting your head with a big ass handgun doesn't mean you missed the shot. The bullet left the barrel a long time before the barrel hitting the head.

but the average male will not have a much easier time than a woman
This is moronic.
Males have bigger hands, stronger grip, thicker tendons, more muscular forearms.
Also they have more knowledge about inertia and its implications because the nature of their professions and know what to expect even if they don't have indepth knowledge of Newton's Laws.
So if you take 1000 men and 1000 women and put them to shoot the same big ass gun, men would fare better.

Of course you will encounter also corporate soyboys that never cut even a 3/4'' pipe with a hand held circular saw in their life and would find a way to cut their neck if they did.
Of course a gun would jump from his algae hands in no time.

You are not being constructive
:smug:

Last edited:
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Hitting your head with a big ass handgun doesn't mean you missed the shot. The bullet left the barrel a long time before the barrel hitting the head.
That's not the point. What matters is that you have something terrible happening with your character when there is critical failure.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
That's not the point. What matters is that you have something terrible happening with your character when there is critical failure.

The point is to name things for what they really are.
If in your head a "critical miss" is the same as a "critical self injury", congratulations and let's leave it to that.

Grab the Codex by the pussy
The point is to name things for what they really are. If in your head a "critical miss" is the same as a "critical self injury", congratulations and let's leave it to that.
The point is that a system can make good use of critical misses by interpreting them as critical failures. See, for instance, the Storyteller System:

A botch is a disastrous failure at an attempted action. It is a feature of the Storyteller and Revised Storyteller systems.

Unlike a normal failure, in which a character merely fails to achieve their desired result, a botch has actively negative consequences. For example, botching a roll when shooting a gun may result in the gun jamming, rather than merely missing the target, while botching a roll to disarm a security system might trigger the alarm or even result in the character getting an electrical shock from the system. The exact details are usually left up to the Storyteller to decide.

The same concept is used in GURPS:

In GURPS, the flipside of critical successes are critical failures, or misses in character combat. Like critical successes, critical failures mean an extreme result from a roll — in this case, a bad result.

Some effects:

You manage to hit yourself in the arm or leg (50% chance each way). Exception: If making an impaling or piercing melee attack, or any kind of ranged attack, roll again. If you get a “hit yourself” result a second time, use that result — half or full damage, as the case may be. If you get something other than “hit yourself,” use that result.

You lose your balance. You can do nothing else (not even a free action) until your next turn, and all your active defenses are at –2 until then.

W2 tried to use something similar with bad luck increasing the chances of weapon jamming, but it is not the same thing as hiting yourself in the face or droping the gun because of recoil.

fobia

For a critical miss! :) But we won't have any critical miss. Damn it.

but the average male will not have a much easier time than a woman
This is moronic.
Males have bigger hands, stronger grip, thicker tendons, more muscular forearms.
Also they have more knowledge about inertia and its implications because the nature of their professions and know what to expect even if they don't have indepth knowledge of Newton's Laws.
So if you take 1000 men and 1000 women and put them to shoot the same big ass gun, men would fare better.

Of course you will encounter also corporate soyboys that never cut even a 3/4'' pipe with a hand held circular saw in their life and would find a way to cut their neck if they did.
Of course a gun would jump from his algae hands in no time.

You are not being constructive
:smug:

You are not being constructive. :cool:

Your big-handed, strong-gripped, thick-tendoned men with muscular forearms are not going to fare much better without some knowledge about guns. That was my argument. Saying that men are more often trained with guns than women is exactly what I wrote in the part of my post you decided not to quote.
Requiring knowledge of Newton's Law has nothing to do whatsoever with this argument. It's about experience, not theoritcal knowledge, we both know this.
Do men have a easier time to reach a required strength? Yes. Do men have that strength per default? No.

I'm not saying that women are as strong as men. I'm saying the differences between the genders matter little in this case. It's not arm-wrestling between the two.
And just to prevent further nitpickery, yes there are guns where physical excercise or a certain base strength is required to shoot them.
But being male alone is not enough. You'd still require to have a certain strength and training to do so successfully.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Yeah, did you know that there is a force that affect bullet's trajectory, making it deviate to the left I think?
Forgot its name errrr...... someone should help.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Your big-handed, strong-gripped, thick-tendoned men with muscular forearms are not going to fare much better without some knowledge about guns

...then you're dumber than a faggot of sticks.

I am not going to repeat myself.
You are so much grasping at straws with your lame ass comeback that you invoked the shitty "prevent nitpickery" which smells as desperation.

And because you are some kind of dude that probably never fired a gun in his life, people should also know that there is shooting fatigue.
The bigger the caliber, the quicker it sets in.
Of course, morons will say that
differences between the genders matter little in this case. It's not arm-wrestling between the two.
It's not arm wrestling between the genders.
It's "arm wrestling" between the gun and the one who fires it.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I only shot from AKM, and RPK - with it's 5.45 recoil was non-existent, especially in case of RPK with bipods.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Last edited:

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Yeah, did you know that there is a force that affect bullet's trajectory, making it deviate to the left I think?
Forgot its name errrr...... someone should help.
Coriolis effect and it's up or down not left.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom