Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Europa Universalis IV

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Serbia,Albania and Wallachia. And hope for them to attack Albania which is guaranteed by Venecia.

MilesBeyond

Cipher
So did anyone played the new dlc? With this new mission system they just showed us how lazy they were the past few years. Only fun nations that have campaigns are Kebab,France,England,Russia,Spain and Byzantium with their dlc.

Yeah, I'd be inclined to agree with this. I bought the DLC (like the dirty, dirty whore I am) and while there's always been a pretty big discrepancy between the nations they put work into and the ones they didn't, that's far more obvious now. Playing England now is by far the most fun I've had with this game, and maybe the most fun I've had with a historical strategy game ever. There's so much more flavour and it feels like a totally unique experience. Anglicanism itself is actually pretty disappointing (as a mechanic it's basically Catholicism except the Pope has no power over you and you can spend your equivalent of pope mana on divorcing your spouse - which is actually pretty true to life, come to think of it...), but flavourwise, I love it. Yeah, you're damn right I have my own state church that no other country in the game has. I also love that England and Great Britain feel more distinct now. Before forming GB gave you nothing but permanent claims on territory you probably already owned anyway, while now it gives you new NIs and missions that are focused more on expanding a global empire.

The thing is, though, that even before this expansion, England was already far and away the most flavourful nation in the game. And like you said, it kind of showcases how lazy the mission system was and how empty it still feels for many non-major nations. Half the draw of EU is the hundreds of different countries you can play, and yet I find myself just doing a constant rotation of England/France/Castile/Muscovy/Portugal/Poland/Ottomans/Ming because those countries just have so many more interesting things going on than others.

My verdict on Rule Brittania, I think, and whether it's worth buying, is going to have to wait until I try a game as an Irish minor. If they received the same TLC as England did in this expansion then that's a very hopeful next step for the future.

Serbia,Albania and Wallachia. And hope for them to attack Albania which is guaranteed by Venecia.

Hungary also works. Might need +1 dip rep advisor.

You do need to play on Normal for alliance strats to work since the AI has massive disincentives to form alliances with you on higher difficulties.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Hungary also works. Might need +1 dip rep advisor.

You do need to play on Normal for alliance strats to work since the AI has massive disincentives to form alliances with you on higher difficulties.
Also Austria, and PLC,but you need time for them. In the latest patch,kebab declared a few years in the game. It was really annoying and didn't wanted to restart 20 times to get it right. Tag switched,bankruptcy and white peace,few years later they were minor power eaten by all. After that it was great game,had to play with a Timur,qura and mamluk hugbox. It is really sad how the game became that predictable and sammy,gone are the days that i meet Theodoro at the gates of mosul while playing as asian minor.
So did anyone played the new dlc? With this new mission system they just showed us how lazy they were the past few years. Only fun nations that have campaigns are Kebab,France,England,Russia,Spain and Byzantium with their dlc.

Yeah, I'd be inclined to agree with this. I bought the DLC (like the dirty, dirty whore I am) and while there's always been a pretty big discrepancy between the nations they put work into and the ones they didn't, that's far more obvious now. Playing England now is by far the most fun I've had with this game, and maybe the most fun I've had with a historical strategy game ever. There's so much more flavour and it feels like a totally unique experience. Anglicanism itself is actually pretty disappointing (as a mechanic it's basically Catholicism except the Pope has no power over you and you can spend your equivalent of pope mana on divorcing your spouse - which is actually pretty true to life, come to think of it...), but flavourwise, I love it. Yeah, you're damn right I have my own state church that no other country in the game has. I also love that England and Great Britain feel more distinct now. Before forming GB gave you nothing but permanent claims on territory you probably already owned anyway, while now it gives you new NIs and missions that are focused more on expanding a global empire.

The thing is, though, that even before this expansion, England was already far and away the most flavourful nation in the game. And like you said, it kind of showcases how lazy the mission system was and how empty it still feels for many non-major nations. Half the draw of EU is the hundreds of different countries you can play, and yet I find myself just doing a constant rotation of England/France/Castile/Muscovy/Portugal/Poland/Ottomans/Ming because those countries just have so many more interesting things going on than others.

My verdict on Rule Brittania, I think, and whether it's worth buying, is going to have to wait until I try a game as an Irish minor. If they received the same TLC as England did in this expansion then that's a very hopeful next step for the future.
Play as Byz,it gives the greatest satisfaction of accomplishing the missions and becoming the civilized world. Austria and Bohemia do have really fun HRE gameplay. Another one that will try out is Timurids in to the Mugles,have great conquest campaign,thinking of trying a zoroastrian play soon. Also Ming and Japan have no real missions,just the originals from 5 years. Now that i think about it,all the missions are from the original game,there is not many missions that are after the first few patches. What a bunch of lazy cunts. For fuck sake,for 50,000 i would make campaign kind of missions for most of the countries in a few months. It is not that hard,just reading some interesting history shit about the country and writing some edgy description. I remember that i made a Bulgarian campaign a few years back. Also Genoa an Venice have really bad missions.

MilesBeyond

Cipher
Also Austria, and PLC,but you need time for them. In the latest patch,kebab declared a few years in the game. It was really annoying and didn't wanted to restart 20 times to get it right. Tag switched,bankruptcy and white peace,few years later they were minor power eaten by all. After that it was great game,had to play with a Timur,qura and mamluk hugbox. It is really sad how the game became that predictable and sammy,gone are the days that i meet Theodoro at the gates of mosul while playing as asian minor.

Oh man I can't believe I forgot Austria. They're maybe my favourite country to play. They're ridiculously powerful once you understand the PU mechanics and how to amp up Imperial Authority. You can easily get a PU over Bohemia and Hungary in the first few years, Revoke by 1550 (or earlier if you cheese it), and get PLC and Spain in a PU by ~1600. Russia is also pretty easy to get in a PU because for some reason it feels like they're always left with a disputed succession (maybe because they have so few friendly Christian neighbours to have Royal Marriages with?). A bit of luck can even nab you GB and/or Portugal. In any case, Austria has an easy time making subjects out of 70-90% of Europe.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Getting Hungary and Bohemia PUd with Austria is really just the steps towards the motherlode of Spanish PU which provides you with global assfuck capability, which is primarily used to obtain the ultimate weapon: German minor droneswarm.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Oh man I can't believe I forgot Austria. They're maybe my favourite country to play. They're ridiculously powerful once you understand the PU mechanics and how to amp up Imperial Authority. You can easily get a PU over Bohemia and Hungary in the first few years, Revoke by 1550 (or earlier if you cheese it), and get PLC and Spain in a PU by ~1600. Russia is also pretty easy to get in a PU because for some reason it feels like they're always left with a disputed succession (maybe because they have so few friendly Christian neighbours to have Royal Marriages with?). A bit of luck can even nab you GB and/or Portugal. In any case, Austria has an easy time making subjects out of 70-90% of Europe.
Now Austria have missions to restore the PU with Hungary and Bohemia,they could do it in 20 years after the start of the game. There should be a possible decision to marry a local noble and AI should do it frequently.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Another thing to note is that the whole HRE framework allows Austria to really hog vassals and even make endless new ones by just expanding HRE territory and then making clients (or releasing old ones, IIRC), along with IIRC fully ignore the usual vassal rebellion from vassal combined power. Actually uniting the HRE ends up making Austria probably ten or so times weaker even without really doubling down on vassals.

Japan's Shogunate government is basically the same as HRE (no vassal limits and vassals don't combine power for purpose of liberty desire) except you start with it in 1444, with the additional bonus of sudokuing vassals to extract their mana. Also gives the potential for arguably the strongest NIs in the game (Oda especially, Shimazu for pure military), OP early CB against Ming (take 400 development in one war), and events to become Christian just in case you wanted the best religion and the ability to PU in Europe.

MilesBeyond

Cipher
Another thing to note is that the whole HRE framework allows Austria to really hog vassals and even make endless new ones by just expanding HRE territory and then making clients (or releasing old ones, IIRC), along with IIRC fully ignore the usual vassal rebellion from vassal combined power. Actually uniting the HRE ends up making Austria probably ten or so times weaker even without really doubling down on vassals.

Oh yeah, never unite. That's bad mojo. But breaking apart France alone can get you a good dozen new vassals, it's beautiful. You can do it with England too if you can get up there quickly enough, and of course Ireland goes without saying.

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent

Accurate.

Russia used to be all manpower but they have become a complete beast thanks to recent patches, in the hands of the player at least. Removing kebab is not even a challenge anymore. Man I loved my maxed out Cossack armies, they cut through the Turkroaches like kebab was butter.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
7drHiqr.gif

Good morning all. It's Tuesday and that means time for another Dev Diary. As I mentioned in the last non-alcoholic dev diary, we're going to start looking at changes and features coming with the 1.26 and its accompanying, unannounced expansion.

Before that though, we are currently looking to iron out the kinks with the open beta 1.25.1 hotfix (AI allies deciding that money is more important than friendship and nations sometimes failing to explore for a long time). These fixes will be made, applied to the open beta and rolled out in due time.

Governments

The way governments work have remained mostly unchanged for the duration of Europa Universalis IV, still being almost entirely lifted from EU3. While we have added new government types and their own mechanics such as Theocracy devotion, Steppe Nomads and American Natives, the government progression has remained quite stale, where tech sometimes unlocks a new tier within your government tier and you will switch to it at a cost of 100 ADM if you want its better effects, different election times, absolutism etc.

As a feature in 1.26's accompanying expansion this goes out the window and instead we introduce the system of Government Reforms where you will hand-craft your own government through a series of reforms as the game progresses.

The start of any great project starts with burning a few things down, so to set things straight:

All Monarchy types are merged into one
All Republic types are merged into one
All Theocracies are merged into one
All Tribals are merged into one

The differences we had between government types, for example between Administrative Republic and Oligarchic Republic, or Steppe Nomad and Tribal Despotism, will now be modeled through the reforms

Each Government has a starting reform and maximum number of reforms available. When a Reform value ticks up to a required value, a Governmental reform can be made granting a choice of modifiers and effects and advancing Government reform by 1 step. Each bonus gets incrementally more expensive to increase.

Each reform costs 100 Government Reform Progress, plus 50 for each additional reform. Each nation gains +10 Government Reform Progress towards reform per year, multiplied by 1-(its average autonomy across all provinces. As ever, the numbers we talk about today are subject to balancing and can and likely will change by release, but the net effect is that nations who crack down on autonomy are going to have a far easier time passing their government reforms.

We will cover all the different types of governments over the course of a few dev diaries, but today we will focus on the reforms for a Monarchy.

• Feudalism vs Autocracy
    • Feudalism: +25% Income from Vassals

• Autocracy: -10% Unjust Demands
    • [Other Special monarchies]*
  • Hereditary Nobility
    • Enforce privileges: +15% Manpower

• Quash Noble power: +10% Tax Modifier
  • Bureaucracy
    • Centralize: -0.05 Autonomy reduction

• Decentralize: +2 Accepted Cultures
  • Growth of Administration
    • Clergy in Administration: +1 [HIDDEN] , +5% base loyalty of Clergy

• Of Noble Bearing: -10% hire leader cost, +5% base loyalty of Nobility

• Meritocratic Focus: -10% Advisors Cost

• Seizure of Power: [Early path for Government type change]
  • Deliberative assembly
    • Parliamentary: Enables Parliaments if Common Sense DLC enabled, else -1 Unrest

• Royal Decree: +5 max absolutism

• Aristocratic Court: -0.5 Army Tradition Decay

• States General: +10% Production Efficiency
  • Absolute Rule v Constitutional
    • l'etat c'est moi: +5 States, -15% State Autonomy

• Regional Representation - 25% lower autonomy in Territories
  • Separation of powers
    • Political Absolutism: +5 max absolutism, +0.1 Yearly Absolutism

• Legislative Houses: +1 Possible [HIDDEN]

• Become a Republic

• Install Theocratic Government
"What about unique government types?"

The game is host to various different unique government types, with their own effects or mechanics. some examples:

• Shogunate - +1 Diplomat, -25% Envoy Travel Time, +2 Number of states, +5 Max Absolutism. Dynasty is fixed, Enable Shogun-Daimyo mechanics
  • Daimyo - +10% Morale of Armies, 10% Infantry CA. Dynasty is fixed, enable Daimyo mechanics
  • English Monarchy - +0.5 Yearly Legitimacy, -1 National Unrest, 1 states, -30 absolutism, uses Parliaments
  • Prussian Monarchy - -2 Unrest, -0.02 War exhaustion, +3 Monarch Military skill, uses Militarism.

These special tools will now be modeled by unique reforms. In most cases, it will be a special reform on the first level (Feudalism vs Autocracy) ready-unlocked for said countries. We will also be making the system more flexible in that if you fulfill the criteria for having a certain government type, but previously had no way of switching into it, you will be able to change your reform to pick it up. Changing reforms that have already been passed comes at a cost (currently 10 corruption)

This system is still Work in Progress, so expect changes along the way. Here's a screenshot of it in-game at this current time:

index.php

Return of the pink coder-art and overflowing GUI. Games are like sausages, beware of seeing them made.

Next week we will have more information about this feature as well as looking at another reform path. Which shall we look at, Republics, Theocracies or Tribals? See you next week for it!

Last edited: Today at 09:25
The Iron Mountains: EU4 Ryukyu World Conquest AAR

MilesBeyond

Cipher
I wouldn't even make a WC with some country like Spain or France, coalitions would kill me. I have no idea how the guy do that shit, is that some exploits? some sophisticated very detailed strategy in foresight right from the start?

There was a Three Mountains (WC with Ryukyu) strategy where you wouldn't even take a single province until 1650. Admin Efficiency is a magical, magical thing that not only reduces the cost of coring provinces, it reduces the cost of taking them in war as well. On top of that, in the early-mid 1600s you get access to the Imperialism CB, which is going to reduce cost even further (as well as allow you to attack everyone).

As for coalitions, expand in different directions at first. So say you're France. First you might carve into the HRE, then take some of Iberia or North Africa, then munch on Ireland, then snag some Italian provinces. Rinse and repeat. This will prevent your AE from getting too high with any one particular group, and will make coalitions a lot less likely to form. Make sure to pick up things like Influence ideas that reduce your AE. Finally, you'll probably have an ally that's blobbing more than you'd like. If a coalition does fire, you can wait until that ally has been occupied, then offer a bunch of their provinces/released nations in exchange for peace. Not only do you get out of the coalition scot-free, your ally is now weakened for your sudden but inevitable betrayal. Ultimately you'll become strong enough to beat them, and there is nothing more satisfying than using a coalition war to take more territory.

Also, coalitions only attack if they think they can win, so you're eventually going to reach a point where they won't even do anything, just huddle together protesting your actions.

The other big thing about WCs is that Europe is generally the last place you want to conquer. The massive amount of tiny countries means coalitions can be absolutely deadly (I remember a Brandenburg game where I was allied with PLC, Bohemia, Sweden, France, and Ottomans, and we still got our asses handed to us by a coalition of small HRE countries), but more importantly, the provinces are really small. The rest of the world and east Asia in particular has much larger provinces, and crossing them can take a long time. This is time you'll have in the 1500s when you can't take that much in a single war anyway and are mostly just killing time waiting for truce timers to run down, but not time you'll have in the 1700s. Save Europe for last and not only will all those annoying OPMs have been consolidated into a collection of easily digestible larger nations, but you can plow through them all super quickly.

The fact that they have an easy in to Asia and Eurasia right from the getgo is one of like a thousand reasons why Ottomans have the easiest WC.

Honestly, the hardest part of a WC isn't being able to do it in the game, it's cultivating the patience to survive the tedium of endless war-and-core gameplay. Map painting might seem like the most fun part of EU4 until it's literally all you're doing.

As for coalitions, expand in different directions at first. So say you're France. First you might carve into the HRE, then take some of Iberia or North Africa, then munch on Ireland, then snag some Italian provinces. Rinse and repeat. This will prevent your AE from getting too high with any one particular group, and will make coalitions a lot less likely to form. Make sure to pick up things like Influence ideas that reduce your AE. Finally, you'll probably have an ally that's blobbing more than you'd like. If a coalition does fire, you can wait until that ally has been occupied, then offer a bunch of their provinces/released nations in exchange for peace. Not only do you get out of the coalition scot-free, your ally is now weakened for your sudden but inevitable betrayal. Ultimately you'll become strong enough to beat them, and there is nothing more satisfying than using a coalition war to take more territory.

Diplomatic ideas are really good for this, you just no-cb your way into africa and asia (steal maps so you don't need exploration). Diplomatic ideas also lets you fish for personal unions, just marry anyone that the PU notification at the top says are in danger and if you don't get it you can get rid of the marriage for no cost, if you're a big christian you'll probably get several PUs at almost no cost.

Honestly, the hardest part of a WC isn't being able to do it in the game, it's cultivating the patience to survive the tedium of endless war-and-core gameplay. Map painting might seem like the most fun part of EU4 until it's literally all you're doing.

It really is. WC becomes completely degenerate when you get to the point where you have 5000 development or so, and at that point you still have 80% of the world to conquer. You'll be able to conquer 5-10x as fast but it's still just a silly waste of time.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Lol you can feel that Jake is the new lead,a lot of changes coming pretty fast. The biggest plus is that he is not a lazy swede. I hope that a lot of countries get new missions.

Mark.L.Joy

Prophet
The mission system seems like an actual good solution for historical vs ahistorical gameplay.

Executr

Cipher
EUIV Grandest LAN party

An epic four day multiplayer campaign hosted and played in a real castle!
  • Live diplomatic negotiation
  • Set in a historical castle
  • Food and lodging included
  • Hardware and software provided
  • Conquer as a team
  • Transport from and to Berlin
  • Meet Paradox devs

More details and signings at: https://eu4lanparty.com/

Frozen

Arcane
Does anyone know wtf is whit this game and why it keeps crashing on me.
I play Imperium Universalis mod and it went fine for some 200y and now every couple of months screen freezes, I can move the cursor but everything else is dead like it becomes a wallpaper, I cant even force it to close the game have to log out of Windows.
Tried reinstall game and mod same shit all over.
When I open error log it has like war&peace long list of things that didn't work (most about Aztecs that are not even in the mod)

Also I haven't played it for a while so wtf is with all the lag and it needs like 3 min to load on SSD?
It used to be normal in older versions....what do you need 32 gigs of DDR4, 8 cores and 1080Ti for a fucking risk simulator now?

Frozen

Arcane
Try deleting whatever folder is in "My Documents" Frozen82

But mod is there.
I tried bunch of stuff always the same shit, i think the mod is just broken.
It worked ok without problem for like 200 game years and now its couple of y and its frozen, cursor works but everything else is dead.
I turned off save compression, auto save, I even tested my memory, CPU is never over 50% and i expect GTX 970 is enough, its not hardware problem i even lower some graphic settings.

Can I just copy-paste whole extracted mod content into where vanilla game is installed, would it worked? I tried with unpacked content in mod folder but it wont load.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom