Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Jeff Vogel goes to Kickstarter for his next game, Queen's Wish: The Conqueror

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Jeff Vogel; Queen's Wish: The Conqueror; Spiderweb Software

The past two years have seen the conclusion of two trilogies by Jeff Vogel's Spiderweb Software - the BioWare-inspired Avadon trilogy and the Avernum remake trilogy. Before he moves on to the inevitable Geneforge remake, Jeff has promised one last original series. A year and a half ago in an interview with PC Gamer, he said he was planning a Kickstarter in early 2018 to fund the development of a new engine with better art for that purpose. There's not much left of early 2018, but it looks like he's just about made it. Introducing Queen's Wish: The Conqueror, a fantasy RPG that Jeff hopes will be the first part in a new trilogy. Here's the pitch:

We invite you to escape into the all-new world of Queen's Wish. This will hopefully be an all-new trilogy in a a unique and fascinating setting, which you will be free to remake to your liking.

You are the youngest child of Queen Sharyn, the absolute leader of the Empire of Haven. While your older siblings have grabbed fame and power, you have slid by in a life of quiet luxury. Until now.

Your mother has decided to force power upon you and send you out into the world. Your new home: The wild, war-torn land of Sacramentum. There was once a successful Haven colony there. It then fell apart, for reasons not entirely clear.

To win the Queen's favor, you must go to Sacramentum and rebuild Haven's colony. But will you? Will you crush the nations of Sacramentum and expand Haven? Make peace with them and earn a place in their lands? Or just try to escape from your mother and homeland?

It will be up to you.

Features

Queen's Wish will be a huge fantasy role-playing game for Windows, Macintosh, iPad, and possibly iPhone. It will feature an enormous world, sharp dialogue, cunning quests, and fascinating characters. It will be old-school 80's-style gaming, with a low budget but tons of clever design and charm.

Explore an enormous outdoors and search for towns and dungeons. Fight clever, carefully designed turn-based battles. Meet three different fierce nations, and deal with them with cunning, diplomacy, or (if you choose) violence.

Build new forts and customize them. Install your own smithies, shops, and furniture, giving each fortress your own unique spin. Choose how to expand your towns. The sorts of shops you specialize in will give your character different bonuses.

It's a modest Kickstarter pitch, very much aimed at existing Spiderweb fans, and Jeff wasn't lying when he said the graphics wouldn't be a big improvement. But apparently it's good enough that the campaign has already nearly reached its $30,000 goal, so Queen's Wish is probably getting made. You can secure yourself a copy for $20, with beta access available at a steep $200. The estimated release date is May 2019.

Xeon

Augur
I thought he went to KS so to revamp the art and gameplay but everything looks the same as his other games.

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
These are upgraded graphics? Wut... it looks like the same eye cancer as his other games. Also.. who the fuck refers to them self as a living legend unironically. Hubris right there.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Be a good boy and do what your mama tells ya... or not!

ughhh

I got one and that's enough.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"These are upgraded graphics? Wut... it looks like the same eye cancer as his other games. Also.. who the fuck refers to them self as a living legend unironically. Hubris right there."

Seriously. WTF.

- So Sayeth the Truest Codexian Living Legend Volourn.

P.S. I did chuckle at the 'scroll of absolution' though. :P

frajaq

Erudite
Really hope we learn how "unique and fascinating" his setting is in these following months

Trash Player

Scholar
Poorly cut KS video, at least it shows gameplay. Same eyesore, yet I find the mock tabletop battlefield oddly charming. Then I saw the kingdom builder sheanigans, no thanks Jeff.

plc75

Novice
Avadon looks better than the new engine game, looks like a jrpg for me.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Infinitron reports this but not Bethesda's new..euhm...'Fallout' (???!?!) game teaser.

Could've reported Iratus kickstarter too. Unlike whatever tired dreck Vogel will churn out, we'll be having one of the best (if not THE best) turn-based combats of the year.

Man you didn't even bother to start a thread for the Kickstarter in your own subforum. >_>

What's with the all-image Kickstarter description btw, how am I supposed to copy-paste that

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Man you didn't even bother to start a thread for the Kickstarter in your own subforum. >_>

What's with the all-image Kickstarter description btw, how am I supposed to copy-paste that

Well, I'm freelancing as a game designer there and they have, like, 3 or so persons that are supposed to do PR. Given that I'm earning peanuts there (doing a project for my street cred, mostly), I'm not doing their shit for them, lol.

I can PM them so they'll send you a text version of that (if they have it).

Zer0wing

Cipher
Say what you will about Geneforge and whatnot but this neverchanging art style is absolute eye-cancer regardless of times, 1990s or not.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Eh, it looks better than his older... older games.
I prefer the look of the likes of Avernum 6 and Geneforge 5, though. This looks too much like he just downloaded some tile packs that people use to make maps for PnP.

Sizzle

Arcane
Honestly, the entire thing would have looked better (from a marketing perspective) if he just included some nice concept art and lofty promises - instead of that pre-alpha gameplay.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom