Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How do you normally come up with character names?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
For Orcs I usually borrow from Tolkien, and for Elves I use my modest knowledge of Sindarin and Quenya to come up with descriptive names.

For mages Clark Ashton Smith's stories are a good source of names, if I only had the foresight to write them all down when I read the stories. Jack Vance too.

For single character games I often use names containing Octavius, Octavianus, Otto or variations thereof if playing a human or avatar of myself. Or I use a "funny" name like Mike Hunt.

For FRUA modules I google for example "male dwarf lawful neutral fighter thief" and then use the first name that comes up that sound good and that I haven't used before.

And then I have some stock names, like Elistan for male Clerics, Crysania for female Clerics, Big Palooka for big, stupid fighters, Sniveling Snaga for small, sneaky goblinoids, Treehugger for Druids, Y U Little for halfling thieves, etc.

Sometimes it's a relief to use pregens, and not have to come up with a good name.

PorkBarrellGuy

Named my Wiz 8 party as follows:
Dick Fitzwell
Amanda Hugankiss
Mike Hawke
Ivana Shtupp
Phil McKracken
Hugh G. Rection

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I got my nickname through a dwarven name generator, I play exclusively as dwarf in every game (unless a game doesn't feature dwarf ofc) so it's an easy choice for me.

Then one day, a friend asked me "did you take that name based on the Angrund clan leader", bitch I don't know shit about Warhammer, leave me alone.

Lurker47

Savant
I tend to start with "spaghetti" and work from there. Names ike "spagodun", "spaging" "sepipepe", "humurfuck":. My names are retarded no matter how serious the game is.

Freddie

Savant
Different ways to come up with names. Sometimes I use names of characters (also NPC's from my campaigns) from PnP. Sometimes I pick just something typical and sometimes add combine stuff like in Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday, I had female Venusian whom I named came Venla, Martian named Mara, etc. This was because planet of origin affects starts and naming made me easier to remember their bonuses. Also I used old pulp novels and comics that I felt shared tone of setting as source.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
OSvhwJS.jpg

bylam

Funcom
Developer
I stupidly used some of my standard character names as character in one of our games...and then other people started using those names.

Now I am mostly just lazy as fuck.

upload_2018-5-31_21-20-14.png

kris

Arcane
10+ years of playing PnP RPGs, mostly as a GM, I came up with many names. Often I could come up with them on the spot, although the quality of names are not always best that way. Or more specifically they are not well kept together for the world/place.

i still use some of my favourite names.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Naming characters is easy part. Naming next mercenary company in Battle Brothers is my personal hell.

fobia

I try to find names that fit in the setting.

Arcanum characters get (pseudo)victorian names for example.
When a setting has race or background dependant customs for names I make up names or remake existing ones according to race/background.
My biggest problem with Kotor II was giving my character a name. In the Star Wars universe every name sounds out of place smh.

I admire people who play through a 50+ hour game as Anus Pounder, but that's not my thing.

Shin

Cipher
I've had set character names for certain party roles for years. They're pretty much a collection of made up and stolen names, somewhat influenced by warhammer/d&d style names. Can't resist calling my (half)-orcs names like Zultog Nosebreaker and such.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I once had a dream and when I woke from that dream I was in another dream and the first dream was just a dream of a dream. While pondering this conundrum the Genie told me names are nothing but chains binding us to the Penguins. Then I woke up and realized I was no longer awake so I asked the Wolf what my spirit name was and he said Lord Paco. When I asked about the Penguins he said they tasted good.

Then I woke up with a hangover.

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
If I use real names or even 'authentic' fantasy names I will most likely immediately forget what a called them.

For the past years I've gotten into the habit of naming PCs out of cereal - sound strange I know, but I can actually remember my peoples names now.

Captain Crunch - fighter&leader
Pops - dwarf fighter
Cheerios - cleric
Trix - thief
Apple Jacks - elf ranger
Cookie Crisp - wizard

Self-Ejected

DakaSha V

Self-Ejected
I used to give them random "fantasy" names until i matured and began giving them names like dumbfuck, shitlord, faggot dipshit, nigger etc. Whatever immediately comes to mind.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom