Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Fairfax

Arcane
That also stood out to me: PoE1 had, on the whole, great weapon & armor variety. But here, every other weapon is either a saber or a regular sword.

Strange that JS allowed this to happen - for all his faults as a designer, he always strived to give enough options when it came to equipment in his games.

Observation: Unlike PoE1, Josh Sawyer was not the lead designer of PoE2, only the game director - and it turns out that yes, this actually matters.
And Lead Narrative Designer, which also matters. :M

Shadenuat

Arcane
The modals are situational and you can use weapons without them, the saber one is pretty bad/situational (at least before PotD enemy armor buffs)
I think half, or a third, modals sacrifice something for extra penetration, which makes it ONLY worth on PoTD+scaling as that matches difficulty more or less. I used it for first time only after beta patch on everything cranked up to 11. The fuck how you do halfswording while dualwielding swords is a mystary though.

Some of abilities look deceptively powerful to me, like club -25 will for 10 sec. - that's HALF of enemy will defence down if enemy is 1-10 level, or 30% for average midgame enemy. Problem is it requires an amount of micro above even regular micro to win fights, and only works against a single enemy, while most spells like that are good because they affect multiple enemies. But then... barbarian with carnage? Maybe? But again, issue of character building and micro and,

there aren't lot of good clubs.

Others, I tried creating Resolve/Staff, tried buckler+parry rogue... but on d100 system, on high difficulty, they just don't seem to work. I guess you don't get crit that often, but it's not what you expect to see from a mechanic like this. Maybe autists can do better than me though by stacking, but the feeling does not match even something as banal as fighter+cleave in NWN.

You also can't really see statistically if it works, like I don't know what % of damage my rogue did by counter attacking per game.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
That also stood out to me: PoE1 had, on the whole, great weapon & armor variety. But here, every other weapon is either a saber or a regular sword.

Strange that JS allowed this to happen - for all his faults as a designer, he always strived to give enough options when it came to equipment in his games.

Observation: Unlike PoE1, Josh Sawyer was not the lead designer of PoE2, only the game director - and it turns out that yes, this actually matters.
Josh was also the lead narrative designer. He is really bad at making stories and writing.

Trashos

Arcane
Him coming here is so unlikely that it will be news in itself. I wonder why that is - is SomethingAwful so much "better" than here from a developer's perspective? Or maybe it's not, but for Josh it's the force of habit that makes him prefer that forum.

He'll cuck the SA forums to come on here and profess his deepest thoughts about Obsidian, PoE and the industry. SA is obviously not better than here, we've all seen the nightmare-inducing posts that he listens to.
Maybe he thinks they represent the average gamer's outlook and perception of games.

SA is a more controlled and safer environment for devs, so maybe that's why.

Lexx

Cipher
Man I hate this three bells arquebus. It looks cool, but I'm doing nothing but blasting my own people all the time and I feel too lazy to unblobb the fights in hope of being able to do a good hit. Eh, simply using non-friendly fire weapons is so much less tedious.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
shieeeeeet

these fapmyrs

:shredder:
Finally found best part of the game I see

Yeah.

The whole two encounters

borealesad.jpg

The one where you stop the ritual and engage in the open caught me completely blindsided, finally had to use some consumables to make it through (although not empower cuz i'm not a pleb). Fortunately, counter-dominating these gits is as effective as ever.

The foight in the cave otoh was much easier cuz I could just lure them to a chokepoint and stab them to deff one after another (because apparently the ai is too tarded to use their shadowsteps as often as it should for some stupid reason), but that was still something different.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Man I hate this three bells arquebus. It looks cool, but I'm doing nothing but blasting my own people all the time and I feel too lazy to unblobb the fights in hope of being able to do a good hit. Eh, simply using non-friendly fire weapons is so much less tedious.

Getting a good shot is my favourite mini game, coz y'know, it's a fight, nothing else to do.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Come on. There's more than 2 good encounters. Or at least potentially more than 2. Fampyrs, fire naga dungeon way up north, nemnok, concelhaut, bog witches, Sayuoka druids, that one dungeon where some hooded niggas try to execute a fella, Dunnage ambush, Dunnage bounty with big ogre on the pier. Those are all nicely set up fights that should be fun once difficulty gets buffed.

Other then fampyrs I've had the most problems with the ogre, there's a mean red skull pistolero hidden on a terrace away from the pier, and he really brings on the pain.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I think I'll make a mod to insert some new weapons in the game. Maybe 3-5 of each type.

Parabalus

Arcane
I think I'll make a mod to insert some new weapons in the game. Maybe 3-5 of each type.

The lacking weapons stuff is overblown, there are 85 unique weapons and the modal is situational for most of them, so you can freely mix.

For comparison, a quick count for Bg1+TotSC from http://mikesrpgcenter.com/bgate/ gives a TOTAL of 63 melee weapons (including unenchanted and generics), 106 total with ranged + ammo types. Dumpsterfire blows it away!

I'd compare unique count but the BG wiki doesn't have a nice list like Dumpsterfire's, it's divided by weapon class + generics.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't think you can replace objects in areas. Maybe through hex editing, or if unpacking the files with unity is possible. Even if it is, it would be difficult to distribute modded areas which are in packed files for other people.

Lhynn

Arcane
The Codex on PoE1: game sucks because Josh wore too many hats
The Codex on Deadfire: game sucks because Josh allowed other people to wear some of his hats

:happytrollboy:
Considering the reception of both games in the codex, the less josh we get, the better.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Weapons may not be missing when you look at loot table, but if definitely feels like they are missing during the game.

At least, I don't know how everyone plays. But I usually decide on a weapon type as soon as I get the companion, and it really gets on your nerves to have gone 10 hours in the game without finding that estok or staff you really want.

Although I agree that on my first run I was focused on having proficiency too much. If I do another one I will probably not bother with them too much, and that will make it less annoying to just settle for a pike instead of a quarterstaff or whatever.

Hopefully the DLCs and patches will add more varied weapons and reworking some of the stocks in shops wouldn't be a worst idea.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
The lacking weapons stuff is overblown, there are 85 unique weapons and the modal is useless for most of them, so you can freely mix.

There are a few abilities for certain classes (fighter specialization) like "Gain [bonus] with proficient weapons." Plus there is a consideration between firearms and non-firearms for ranged for special abilities and equipment effects (hat that reduces reload time, Maia firearm class bonuses, etc.). There are also a couple of combos that seem like they'd be really cool, e.g. a pike fighter behind your front line, or a spear-shield tank, that don't get much love because the equipment selection is lacking for them.

I do agree that the modals are mostly useless however.

Tigranes

Arcane
Beta patch, POTD upscale is actually a pretty noticeable step up in difficulty - though again it depends on your party, your level & order of exploration, yadda yadda. Some enemy groups at least finally pack enough of a punch that you have to stop and heal, change your plans, etc., instead of just crippling them with your alpha strike and then doing whatever you like at your leisure. I'd say it no longer feels far easier than POE1.

I'd say there are a lot of potentially very good encounters in the game, but again it's a question of devs putting in enough difficulty so that the player can actually experience it. Fighting Concelhaut or the other lich in the cave or the Fampyrs with a slightly lower level party without using Empower on beta patch I think will be a good challenge; getting there at high levels with endgame equipment & Empowered missiles on v1.00, probably not.

Parabalus

Arcane
Weapons may not be missing when you look at loot table, but if definitely feels like they are missing during the game.

At least, I don't know how everyone plays. But I usually decide on a weapon type as soon as I get the companion, and it really gets on your nerves to have gone 10 hours in the game without finding that estok or staff you really want.

Although I agree that on my first run I was focused on having proficiency too much. If I do another one I will probably not bother with them too much, and that will make it less annoying to just settle for a pike instead of a quarterstaff or whatever.

Hopefully the DLCs and patches will add more varied weapons and reworking some of the stocks in shops wouldn't be a worst idea.

Yeah, I had the same issue. Like muscle memory you stick to proficiencies or whatever weapon you imagined when creating the character, even though now you don't have to.

I switched obviously, but I still had that nagging feeling of betraying some principles or sth, dunno how to describe it.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I don't think you can replace objects in areas. Maybe through hex editing, or if unpacking the files with unity is possible. Even if it is, it would be difficult to distribute modded areas which are in packed files for other people.

There are some items mods already, like some trinkets and a halberd. I am studing deadfire jsons now and looks like its not so much complicated. Basically I have to create the items and then add them to the Items list of some vendor.

If anyone have a nice item idea, I can try to mod it (the icon will be generic, but better than nothing)

Last edited:

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Come on. There's more than 2 good encounters. Or at least potentially more than 2. Fampyrs, fire naga dungeon way up north, nemnok, concelhaut, bog witches, Sayuoka druids, that one dungeon where some hooded niggas try to execute a fella, Dunnage ambush, Dunnage bounty with big ogre on the pier. Those are all nicely set up fights that should be fun once difficulty gets buffed.

Other then fampyrs I've had the most problems with the ogre, there's a mean red skull pistolero hidden on a terrace away from the pier, and he really brings on the pain.

That's a nice list, I was also surprised by the pirate ogre encounter, although thought at first that Maia is mowing my party, only to find it's that little faggot on the balcony. The cannibal lair was also quite gruesome, and slaver fortress prison rescue deserving of honourable mention.

I'd also add the bosses are done rather well and matching the ambient of their surrounding. The giant worm in the Lost City, both dragons (although I somehow ended up not fighting either of them), the Kraken was totally "Holy Shit" moment, fapmyr boss on top of the mountain etc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom