Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News After 12 years, Darkness over Daggerford is finally an official Neverwinter Nights premium module

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Alan Miranda; Beamdog; Neverwinter Nights; Neverwinter Nights: Darkness over Daggerford; Ossian Studios

Darkness over Daggerford is a well-known module for Neverwinter Nights released back in 2006 by Ossian Studios, the indie RPG studio led by former BioWare producer Alan Miranda. The story behind Darkness is that it was originally meant to be an official module sold by BioWare as part of their 2004-2006 premium module program. Unfortunately for Ossian, the program was cancelled by Atari before the module was done. They finished it anyway and released it for free later that year - though not before Atari inexplicably agreed to allow one more premium module, Wyvern Crown of Cormyr, to be sold. Ossian would be screwed again two more times after that, first with the cancellation of their Scars of Betrayal add-on for The Witcher and then with the pointless years-long delay of their Mysteries of Westgate expansion for Neverwinter Nights 2. In 2013, they released a mobile RPG called The Shadow Sun which never made it to PC. Since then little has been heard from them, though we know that Alan Miranda had some involvement with the development of Beamdog's Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear.

It's that association which probably led to yesterday's surprising announcement that Darkness over Daggerford is back, now as an official module for Beamdog's Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition. It's an enhanced version, featuring new music, portraits, voice overs and "nearly 500 gameplay improvements". Here's the announcement from Ossian's website:

Introduction
In August 2006, Ossian Studios released its first game: Darkness over Daggerford. Originally slated to be a an official Neverwinter Nights Premium Mod released by BioWare, it was cancelled when the premium mod program was unexpectedly shut down a few months earlier in May. The Daggerford team pressed ahead anyhow, finishing the module and releasing it for free, taking the Neverwinter community by complete surprise. The game promptly broke download records on the NWVault, won several awards for its outstanding quality, and praise from thousands of fans.

Almost 12 years later, on June 1, 2018, Ossian finally finished what it had originally set out to do: complete Darkness over Daggerford as it had been envisioned. Released by Beamdog as an official premium module for Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition, the game has been remastered with new music, new portrait art, lots of VO, and most importantly almost 500 fixes, improvements, and some complete overhauls based on all the feedback and critiques players had posted over the years. This level of care and polish was added over the course of many months, with the ultimate goal of giving players the best possible gameplay experience. We hope you enjoy playing it!
- Alan Miranda

Darkness over Daggerford Enhanced
Developed by Ossian Studios, this new enhanced version of Darkness over Daggerford updates the award-winning former premium module with a host of gameplay improvements, new music, voice over, and portrait art.

The Duke of Daggerford has been mysteriously killed, a new power has taken over the town, bandits rove the Trade Way unhindered, and mysterious things stir in a fabled ancient citadel, yet all is not as it seems. A darkness is fast descending upon this sleepy town near Waterdeep - will you be able to stand against it?

Explore the walled town of Daggerford and recruit up to two daring companions to join you as you venture into the surrounding region of the Sword Coast to unlock dangerous secrets, combat hidden foes, and find a stronghold to call home. Lock blades with some of the most powerful and infamous organizations the world of Faerûn has ever known in this grand, 25+ hour Dungeons & Dragons module.

Features:
  • An expansion-size adventure with 25+ hours of gameplay
  • Use the world map to venture across fifteen areas along the Sword Coast, each brimming with unique adventures.
  • Establish and customize your stronghold to discover new quests
  • 12 new music tracks
  • 12 new character portraits
  • New voice over for main characters
  • Nearly 500 gameplay improvements over the original!
The original Darkness over Daggerford development team included some of the most talented members of the NWN community: Kevin Smith (aka codepoetz), Luspr, Brian Watson (aka MadWombat), Alan Tarrant (aka Lord Alex), Anya Clancy (aka Lady Oonagh), and Brian Dunn (aka BrotherRoth). The enhanced team added two additional former NWN modders and longtime Ossian team members: Rich Barker and Raphael Faccioli.

Buying the enhanced edition of Darkness over Daggerford helps to support Ossian Studios’ goal of bringing you more great Dungeons & Dragons adventures!​

Quite the moral dilemma, isn't it? On one hand, it's another example of Beamdog profiting from another developer's work, one which opens the door to more "paid mods" in the future. On the other hand, it's long-awaited justice for a talented indie studio who never got the break they deserved. The new enhanced Darkness over Daggerford is available on Steam for $10 as a DLC for Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition, with a 15% discount until next week. The original version will remain free on the Neverwinter Vault, so that's nice.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
1512921633391.png

i.Razor

Scholar
Patron
Am I the only one who doesn't mind paying for that shit?!

I don't. But it requires NWN EE. And i just had finished year-long slow replay of OC, SoU abd HoU just not long before NWN EE was released. So no point for me in buying it - i just have no time, no interest.

Darkness over Daggerfall is a nice module, and i remember i used my character from it to play thru Citadel module then. But really, it seems dead on arrival - only 2 steam reviews so far. I would not mind to coin say 5 buck to Ossian though (I enjoyed MoW and DoD), i even bought their Shadow Sun mostly because of it as i'm usually not playing on the cell phone.

Last edited:

Electryon

Savant
I'm not sure how the Enhanced Edition can be criticized in this context, since it is the ONLY reason Ossian has finally been able to monetize what is practically an expansion pack-sized module. They haven't seen a dime from it up until now.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm only interested in a premium version of A Dance with Rogues.

And I'm not sure if I'm kidding.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom