Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vampyr - vampire action-RPG from Life Is Strange devs

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
toro your welcome to defend your dumb comment instead of spamming "retarded". 100% you have lots to say on the topic, and there is good reason you haven't made a response, instead resorting to emotes. Reminds me of fantadomat. Are you two related by any chance?

I'm afraid I have no words to explain something rational to a delusional being as yourself.

In other words: Fuck off.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
toro i bet youd fail history test meant for 8 year olds holy shit. I actually need to put you on ignore so that I don't implode from cringe. I dunno when I was a kid it was considered embarrassing not knowing certain things. People would generally avoid giving impressions of being a total fucking idiot. I guess times change.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
The main character looks like he touts a Quran and is ready to shout 'Allahu Akbar' at any second.

Not interested.

What the fuck is wrong with you? The degree to which people make non existent connections on this forum is legit worrisome. You guys really need to chill a bit with youtube. Lose associations are generally a sign of thought disorder.

PorkBarrellGuy

The SJW bullshit is creeping again and again but not enough to go into full retard mode. To be honest it looks like the work of some creatively bankrupted writers: there are issues in the quest design area when 5 out of 10 stories have some SJW bullshit in the background. Not offensive or in your face but they are there. This one major complain but survivable.

So, don't be surprised if you encounter SJW lectures in disguise like this:
66ECA8DCDB94C5B2C809CFFB21B2B5AD7A8FB7A8

0F1C93C3EA57EE49C67A9C9BDBD4254BD8535843

After all the game is done by "Life is Strange" developers.

what the fuck is the context for the second screenshot?

Gremius

Augur
The SJW bullshit is creeping again and again but not enough to go into full retard mode. To be honest it looks like the work of some creatively bankrupted writers: there are issues in the quest design area when 5 out of 10 stories have some SJW bullshit in the background. Not offensive or in your face but they are there. This one major complain but survivable.

When a game is not historically accurate and everyone are equal regardless skin color, sexual orientation, etc.
Codex reaction: HURR, DUURR, SJWWWWWW

When a game is pretty much historically accurate in terms of world building and politics and some NPC are complaying how badly they are treated in society, etc.
Codex reaction: HURR, DURRR, SJWWWW, BLHRHRHR

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Bro its postmodernist neo marxism certificates every developer has to have to make a game don't you know!

PorkBarrellGuy

Life is Strange was a darling of the SocJus brigade and I don't think it's out of sorts to suspect that the devs would court that demographic again. We're talking about a demographic that practically revolves around certain language (some of which is showcased in those screencaps) and very few other groups really use that language in the same way and with the same persistence.

You're jumping on him for pointing out that something from a dev known for creating waddling, quacking waterfowl is starting to display distinctly duck-like properties. How very dare he suspect such a thing!

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
More info:
+ Never suck the blood from anyone unless you found out all the hints/clues about that person. Each hint will increase the XP gains from sucking a specific person's blood.
+ Heal as many NPCs as possible because it might delay some big health chunks going bye-bye! I'm not sure about this. But the district health gets compensated if you heal as many people as possible and you "suck" only a few.
+ The game feels like Dishonored at times, with contextual Blink and shit. It really does.
+ They also got inspiration from Prey, which means that each NPC has a background story (some of them have great background stories). Unfortunately you will have to check every fucking dialog line to get all the clues.
+ The game is at best when you explore dilapidated building. Fuck me, I don't know what is wrong with me but I love this shit. The atmosphere is great.
+ If you kill too many Piwen (!?) men they will start to double the patrols.
+ There are some cool looking boss fights which can be challenging.

Based on what I've said before, the game encourages you to suck as many idiots as possible but at the same time the best strategy is to get all clues and suck only the really bad people:
Good people have low mesmerize level while the really bad ones have high mesmerize level therefore the player cannot suck them until later game

The game progress is tedious but I don't want to suck innocent people which means that at the moment I'm only at level 12 and I'm regularly fighting mobs level 18+. I'm having a difficult time but I love it because I really need to use serums and tactics. Of course, I could over-level but then I would spoil all the fun. In other words, you can make the game as hard as you like it to be. In fact, I assume some autistic retard will win all fights on level 1 (it might be possible).

Now, I just hope all this effort is rewarded somehow.

Edit: Now, "bad" for some is "good" for other and vice-versa.

Last edited:

Wolfe

Arbiter
Extremely linear opening, it almost puts me off, also very predictable, I knew the woman he is going to bite was somehow related to him or a lover.

She literally exclaims how happy she is that you're not dead before you go in for the kill.. wow, muh predictions.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm surprised people are communicating kind of normally. Nobody is trying to be edgy and unpleasant just to say "look how dark and "realistic" our setting is".

She literally exclaimes how happy she is that you're not dead before you go in for the kill.. wow, muh predictions.

Waaaaaay before that, lol.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

what the fuck is the context for the second screenshot?

She is a ex-Union worker which hates him on sight. There are a couple more lines of dialogue but I think you get the idea.

PorkBarrellGuy

She is a ex-Union worker which hates him on sight. There are a couple more lines of dialogue but I think you get the idea.

They really should make their shibboleths and curses more generic and subtle if they want to not get caught sneaking them in everywhere.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
...postmodernist neo marxism

...that doesn't make sense.

No, thanks. First, we're not yet in desperade need for shtrong womyn protagonist and second but most important - Dontnod can't write good female characters, yet alone protagonistst. Remember Me and Life is Tumblr are shining examples.

This guy is kind of bland, though, at least up to now. I'm also not sure if he knows he's a vampire or what that even is, he doesn't go "what's a vampire?" when people mention it to him, yet he acts all confused about his state, so I don't know what's going on there. Being a well-read doctor, he should've at least heard about vampire novels.

DeepOcean

Arcane
This language is indeed suspicious, I guess it is the "current year" writers trying to guess how minorities spoke at that time so, of course, they speak on "current year" writer language because "current year" writers are lazy but if this is the worst SJWism there is , it is actually pretty tolerable. I've seen much worse offenders, does the game has the classic:

"This woman need no man, do you hear player? If you didn't pay attention, I will repeat SHE NEEDS NO MAN! She has half the size of a muscle giant and still can fight him because FEMINISM MAGIC!"
or
"Do, you heard this GAY character HAS A HUSBAND?! I will repeat three times on the same sentence, HE HAS A HUSBAND!

If only stay on tame awkward preaching from some secondary characters, it is tolerable, if it has the above examples, then it is fucking awful.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Hahahaha this game is such an SJW wet fantasy.

The protagonist is a while male heterossexual. I have not encountered any form of sodomy so far. Only negro npc I have met is a thief, smuggler and crook whom everybody dislikes(well except for the nurse he bangs, and who is called explicitly "a whore" by other npcs). The "strong empowered wymin" trope is kept in check by the realities of the time period(most female npcs are nurses, maids, housewives and ladies). The vampire hunters are exclusively male, as they should be.

So yeah, get over yourself with bashing the game for no reason. If you hate it so much why do you even keep playing it?

Compared with Pillars of "every npc is gay and romanceable" Eternity and other games coming out this *current year* this game is quite alright in the sjw department.
Well mate,you are still in the beginning,the more people you meet and find their secrets,the more sjw shit you will see. I too liked the nurses and all that jazz,the indian guy is pretty cool. Also i never said that i hate the game,it gives me pretty good laugh from time to time. Laugh out loud when my protagonist found a kindred spirits in a bunch of Romanian blackmailing communist that were ready to close their eyes to mass murders :) .

toro,i would recommend going for the biggest damage two-hander. I found some two handed club and since then i kill enemies with 5-10 levels above me without any problems. Just pump up the endurance and health,all the other skills are useless.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You guys are getting triggered by words like intolerant and privileged? You poor snowflakes!

If the worst you can say about this game's politics is that characters express period appropriate feelings using quasi modern vocabulary (although it's not like these are new words, they just carried far less of a negative connotation back in the day), it sure seems like you're going out of your way to take offense.

This game takes place within months of women getting the right to vote in the UK (propertied women over the age of 30). Legal equality of the sexes was kind of a hot topic. After the war ended, the British political establishment was terrified that organized labor would try to pull off a Soviet style revolution; anti-capitalist sentiment would not be unusual. The British class system is notorious even today, back then it still really meant something. Compared to a working class woman, a middle class man was indeed privileged. That's actually the perfect word for it because there were effectively two different sets of laws for men and women, to say nothing of the rich and the poor.

As for intolerance, that's a pretty polite way of describing the British empire from an Indian perspective. Within a year of when this game takes place, the British authorities killed hundreds of peaceful protestors in India--they only stopped shooting when they ran out of ammo--in the first Amritsar massacre. When parliament recalled the general who gave the order so they could rake him over the coals, he was lauded as a hero in the press with one paper raising 26,000 pounds by subscription (a lot in today's money). The guy ended up getting a state funeral with a military parade when he died the next year.

Even if you honestly think that's how the world should be run, you can't expect the people getting shot at to be too thrilled about the situation. But seriously, who even wants to roll back the clock to 1918?

PorkBarrellGuy

You guys are getting triggered by words like intolerant and privileged? You poor snowflakes!

Yes, how dare a dog be wary of canes after being drubbed with one repeatedly by people who loved using canes to drub things.

If the worst you can say about this game's politics is that characters express period appropriate feelings using quasi modern vocabulary (although it's not like these are new words, they just carried far less of a negative connotation back in the day), it sure seems like you're going out of your way to take offense.

I'm not offended, I'm highly suspicious and did I mention I don't like being hit with canes?

This game takes place within months of women getting the right to vote in the UK (propertied women over the age of 30). Legal equality of the sexes was kind of a hot topic. After the war ended, the British political establishment was terrified that organized labor would try to pull off a Soviet style revolution; anti-capitalist sentiment would not be unusual. The British class system is notorious even today, back then it still really meant something. Compared to a working class woman, a middle class man was indeed privileged. That's actually the perfect word for it because there were effectively two different sets of laws for men and women, to say nothing of the rich and the poor.

I'm not even going to touch this one or it's going straight to GD, fuck me running do NOT get me started on women's suffrage and what it actually meant

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Yes, how dare a dog be wary of canes after being drubbed with one repeatedly by people who loved using canes to drub things.

Here is what you don't get tho. You know how people stopped flying airplanes after 9.11 due to "terrorism" while planes remained to be the safest mode of transport BY FAR. The same shit is happening here. There are barely any 'canes' in video games. You guys are legitimately confusing television/youtube sensationalism to reality. It is like the people who constantly see some number somewhere. If you look hard enough you will find it, but the fact that your looking for it so hard is a sign of unhealthy obsession at best, and schizo lose association shit at worst.

People really dont call you guys tinfoil fucktards enough out of politeness so you think its a legitimate opinion to have.

PorkBarrellGuy

Here is what you don't get tho. You know how people stopped flying airplanes after 9.11 due to "terrorism" while planes remained to be the safest mode of transport BY FAR. The same shit is happening here. There are barely any 'canes' in video games. You guys are legitimately confusing television/youtube sensationalism to reality. It is like the people who constantly see some number somewhere. If you look hard enough you will find it, but the fact that your looking for it so hard is a sign of unhealthy obsession at best, and schizo lose association shit at worst.

People really dont call you guys tinfoil fucktards enough out of politeness so you think its a legitimate opinion to have.

"There's no cane behind my back, doggie! Promise!" That's what they all say when they want to get us to pay attention to them long enough for them to get a couple whacks in. I don't know what kind of people you've had to deal with in life, but I have certainly not been so fortunate and I'll thank you not to make assumptions about my place and encounters in life.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
"There's no cane behind my back, doggie! Promise!" That's what they all say when they want to get us to pay attention to them long enough for them to get a couple whacks in. I don't know what kind of people you've had to deal with in life, but I have certainly not been so fortunate and I'll thank you not to make assumptions about my place and encounters in life.

??? What the fuck are you on about. This forum is starting to get too weird.

PorkBarrellGuy

Oh all of a sudden you don't understand the metaphor. Of course.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

He's telling you to check your privilege, brah.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom