Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vampyr - vampire action-RPG from Life Is Strange devs

mildTea

Learned
Except the way they react to their circumstances is akin to how a "liberal" person from the XXI century would. Nobody during this period used these word in such a manner. Tolerance back then wasn't equated with something automatically good and even minorities instinctively recognised the existence of group dynamics, competition and boundries . People viewed the world in a more tribal way (and to a big extent they still do, except for Whites).

Those two instances mimic the language of a modern leftist and even if the portrayed individuals shared similiar grieviences they would respond in a fashion that would reflect the times they were born in.

Let's ask ourselves, why are those two words (tolerance and privilege) used? Because in the present day, through cultural conditioning, the concepts hidden behind these word rose in importance and today have an impact on the majority of people (in the West) when used in a conversation and carry with them a certain level of retorical power. That wouldn't be the case in the setting of this game. These words weren't remotely quite as effective and thus wouldn't be used like that. This is simply taking the modern mindset and implanting it in distant (culturally and morally) historical eras.

You're right about the word choice being modern and "hamfisted" into the game's setting. The question is though, should the game writers study the articles and manifests from that era and change the vocabulary accordingly? I'd love it, because I love historical stuff and am aware of words having different meaning now and then. At the same time I recognize that this requires quite some effort and the game writers would need to include lots of "lore" information in order for the player, who has little knowledge about that era, to be able to understand the dialogues. Again, I'd welcome it, but I can see how this could prove tedious for many.

Imagine every word in the dialogue having a small Tyranny-like hover-on explaing the nuances of its meaning in that time. It can be done in better ways through careful writining and exposition, but that's difficult to execute flawlessly. Better modern vocabulary, than half-baked attempt at historical language.

hivemind

What the fuck is wrong with you? The degree to which people make non existent connections on this forum is legit worrisome.
We have such sights to show you. Wait until december and then come explore the heart and soul of this website.

Barbarian

Arcane
Characters expressing opinions on women's rights or class privilege in the times when millions of people where involved in women suffrage movemen or labour movement / communist activities must be SJW injecting their views into videogames...

Why so many alt-righters are such imbeciles? Does youtube educayshun turns a normal person into a morron, or do they watch popular alt-right youtubers because they are already braindead?

Can the main character tell them to shut the fuck up and shove their petty problems up their ass? Because if he can, then I wouldn't complain, but if the MC is forced to listen to their drivel and agree with them without my consent, then boy we have a problem and that's propaganda and preaching at it's best. Why should I agree with them, maybe I don't like black folks, maybe I don't like women rights, why make a roleplaying game if you don't give options for the people to go both ways?

You can kill them and make your london neighborhood both nigger free and sufragette free. Does that count?

anus_pounder

Arcane
So from what I've read in the reviews, the dialogue is pretty good and the action is complete shite. I guess what I'm trying to ask is, top 10 best rpgs according to the 'dex or is it a top 5?

PrettyDeadman

So from what I've read in the reviews, the dialogue is pretty good and the action is complete shite. I guess what I'm trying to ask is, top 10 best rpgs according to the 'dex or is it a top 5?
1. Dark Sun: Shattered Lands
2. Knights of the Chalice
3. Temple of Elemental Evil
4. Might and Magic 3
5. Wizardry 7
6. Vtm:Bloodlines
7. Vampyr
8. Rest of Might & Magic
9. Rest of Wizardrys
10. Jrpg

Generic-Giant-Spider

You're right about the word choice being modern and "hamfisted" into the game's setting. The question is though, should the game writers study the articles and manifests from that era and change the vocabulary accordingly?

Yes.

Historical time periods with modern day lexicon will always come off as dumb no matter the message conveyed.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Whether it's a silent classic depends on the quality of the content once the game goes into full swing. We all know vampire politicking and interactions can be engaging, let's hope it's that, instead of soppy and melodramatic "woe is me" relationships with mortals.

Last edited:

mildTea

Learned
You're right about the word choice being modern and "hamfisted" into the game's setting. The question is though, should the game writers study the articles and manifests from that era and change the vocabulary accordingly?

Yes.

Historical time periods with modern day lexicon will always come off as dumb no matter the message conveyed.

I agree. But most games don't have budgets to hire historical language experts to write the games in the original language of the chosen era. And most players would fail to understand such writing properly without some sort of aid.

Per complanca, most games can't even pull off multilingual settings with modern languages. Imagine how it would end up if they tried to emulate historical ones.

If you know of any game which handles these things well, let me know.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Characters expressing opinions on women's rights or class privilege in the times when millions of people where involved in women suffrage movemen or labour movement / communist activities must be SJW injecting their views into videogames...

Why so many alt-righters are such imbeciles? Does youtube educayshun turns a normal person into a morron, or do they watch popular alt-right youtubers because they are already braindead?
I don't have problem with this,i dislike that my playable character just preaches about such shit. From all three options there isn't a "go fuck yourself faggot" option,all of them are politely agreeing and encouraging them.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I don't have problem with this,i dislike that my playable character just preaches about such shit. From all three options there isn't a "go fuck yourself faggot" option,all of them are politely agreeing and encouraging them.
Well... you can kill them.
I wouldn't call that polite.

What is your problem, though? That you can't roleplay a complete shithead? :lol:

Seriously, though, if they allowed you to be in-your-face-negative about these issues in the game, the shitstorm would be epic.
Also, these are the devs of Life Is Strange.
Given those two reasons alone... what did you expect?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Top 5 forgettable RPGs. In a month this thread will be dead most likely. The game is decent mediocre AA action RPG,i prefer Demonicon or Technomancer.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Well... you can kill them.
I wouldn't call that polite.

What is your problem, though? That you can't roleplay a complete shithead? :lol:

Seriously, though, if they allowed you to be in-your-face-negative about these issues in the game, the shitstorm would be epic.
Also, these are the devs of Life Is Strange.
Given those two reasons alone... what did you expect?
Oh i have no problem at all,also i got what expected. I am just having shit throwing conversation on the codex. Seeing a little bit of butthurt from Pretty and a few other,is amusing. I don't hate the game,it is pretty decent for what it is.

As for those characters....well i punish them worst than death :lol:. Still it is shame that games takes away you option of dialogue interactions. It feels that you are just a side character hovering around the protagonist and observing his actions and speeches.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Yes.

I agree. But most games don't have budgets to hire historical language experts to write the games in the original language of the chosen era. And most players would fail to understand such writing properly without some sort of aid.

Per complanca, most games can't even pull off multilingual settings with modern languages. Imagine how it would end up if they tried to emulate historical ones.

Darklands was quite good at going for as 'authentic' an experience as possible when it came to its setting, it probably took a lot of research to try and get knowledge about it all but I know I appreciated the effort especially looking back on it now.

To be honest, most players today are the same people that buy games that are near retail priced, promoted as 'early access', and have lootcrates you can purchase for c0smet1cz. You're right, it would be lost on the current generation.

Cael

Arcane

Modern language isn't the problem. SJW shitfest lingo is. You might as well go full Valley Girl while you are at it. Or Strayan.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Now that I think about it, I can't recall any RPG where you can be terrible to gays or even any non-fictional race for being gay or not-white. Strange.

norolim

Arcane
I actually need to put you on ignore so that I don't implode from cringe.

What the fuck is wrong with you? The degree to which people make non existent connections on this forum is legit worrisome.

??? What the fuck are you on about. This forum is starting to get too weird.

Fair enough but I legit can't help but cringe after 100th time some idiot thinks its his sole mission in life to use words SJW when a game comes out. And then I have to either put half the forum on ignore or eventually inevitably have a cringe attack like I did now.

Need a safe space, newfag? Here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom