Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

vazha

Arcane
Smejki I know its a tad early to talk about all this, but if the sequel indeed takes place during Hussite Wars, wouldn't you have to add guns (hand cannons, I believe they were called) and introduce some quite large scale battles, including wagenburg warfare? Not to mention that strange flail-like thingie the Taborites were supposedly wielding... When's the tentative release date for the next game anyway? 3-5 years?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Smejki I know its a tad early to talk about all this, but if the sequel indeed takes place during Hussite Wars, wouldn't you have to add guns (hand cannons, I believe they were called) and introduce some quite large scale battles, including wagenburg warfare?

Guns and tanks (armored wagons with cannons) are THE reason Hussites smashed all those crusades so I can't imagine Warhorse could ignore them. And why should they. More gun more fun.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Looking forward to Kingdom Come II: Hussite Wars. +M
I can confirm this - KCD2 story will continue the story of KCD1 right where it ended. That doesn't mean there can't a 17 years jump into the future in the middle of the game. Right? But ask yourself how likely that is.
Do you mean like Fire Emblem? You didn't spend sufficient effort to make each character to fall in love with the other, and now in second part of the game, the game is HELL. Because heritage works correctly in game, with children that inherited theirs overpowered skills, it's still HELL but more manageable.

Quillon

Arcane
Only the Theresa one is obvious because we described it during KS. You will be able to ask her "So how did you survive Skalitz" and then you play her side of the story around the beginning of the game.
Damn, what if Henry doesn't save her? :negative:

But tha's not all there is to that particular DLC!

After Henry wakes up, will she have a perpetual daily routine quest like da monks? Wake up at 9, cook, sit at the bank outside for hours, sleep.

Smejki

Larian Studios, ex-Warhorse
Developer
Smejki I know its a tad early to talk about all this, but if the sequel indeed takes place during Hussite Wars, wouldn't you have to add guns (hand cannons, I believe they were called) and introduce some quite large scale battles, including wagenburg warfare? Not to mention that strange flail-like thingie the Taborites were supposedly wielding... When's the tentative release date for the next game anyway? 3-5 years?
yes, early firearms would be a must.
The thing with flail-y weapons is that we don't know how to incorporate their ihnerrent jiggly physics into our physics based combat without it looking totally ridiculous. Provided the protagonist wouldn't be able to kill himself with such a monster.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

After Henry wakes up, will she have a perpetual daily routine quest like da monks? Wake up at 9, cook, sit at the bank outside for hours, sleep.
a hint
https://www.pcgamer.com/my-relation...s_source=steam&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0
BTW, I never believed the version that she pulled a knife and overpowered the three of them. IMO this is just a lie on her part, to protect her honor while in fact she was indeed raped.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

a hint
https://www.pcgamer.com/my-relation...s_source=steam&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0

This reminds me of the most crucial question: sex scene with Henry from POV of Theresa, yes or no?
Better prepare those high resolution straw heap textures.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Yes, Geralt sounded retarded. The pay-off in versimilitude was far more important for me than the few bad performances (granted, Geralt should have been done better). In the books he is supposed to sound like this imo without the hint of retard. Beats playing an American guy in a slavic village full of people with BBC accents.The english voice actor did it better in 1 and 2 but in 3 he speaks like a normal person which I dislike.

Zaklínač sounds better than The Witcher.

Czech is a beautiful, precise language and the game would be better in czech for sure. Yeah, duh, don't get shitty actors to voice it.
Playing with ENG VO and czech written word makes my head hurt because I have to be combining and calculating 2 languages and comparing which one is saying the more precise thing.
Don't act like people don't ask for unprofitable stuff from devs all the time. Everybody wants a map editor, mod support, some other changes here and there, free DLCs.
I understand the cost is probably much bigger but fuck you, you ride the national pride wave with this game, you should fuckin put the effort into the VO as well. I think WH know this but can't convince themselves to basically waste the money. Well, make it a marketing strategy or something.KKKolektors edition with czech VO for some bigger price, whatever. As long as it doesn't suck shit, people will be happy.
Mafia had great VO. Flashpoint had great VO. Why the fuck is your argument that they can't manage to make it good.

That is not my argument, you are the one who brought up Zaklínač as example of how great it was to play in CZ. Which I found ridiculous, because when my own character, who speaks pretty much all the time, speaks like constipated retard, it makes it hard to enjoy.

Of course that voice acting could be good if done well, but it would be very hard to do, since our local dubbing scene went down the toilet for the most part, and my point was that there are simply better more worthwhile things I want Warhorse to spend their time on.

Of course, if unlimited manpower and talent and money was a thing, I would be all for it. But it's not.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Smejki I know its a tad early to talk about all this, but if the sequel indeed takes place during Hussite Wars, wouldn't you have to add guns (hand cannons, I believe they were called) and introduce some quite large scale battles, including wagenburg warfare?

Guns and tanks (armored wagons with cannons) are THE reason Hussites smashed all those crusades so I can't imagine Warhorse could ignore them. And why should they. More gun more fun.
Learn history.

They were successful for bit different reasons.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
The whole "trilogy" thing stems from our long past history with publishers.
KCD was originally meant to be a complete story across 3 maps. The game was meant to be made by more people than we ever had for more money than we ever had. The project was rejected.
And thus we entered Kickstarter. I believe that our mentioning of ActI, II, and III was a mistake as it only confuses people. The acts correspond with those 3 maps I mentioned above. The KS campaign was only about ActI (with hi tiers preordering uncertain subsequent Acts) and this is what was turned into KCD (KCD1=Act1). However KCD had to stand on its own legs and so the actual KCD is much bigger than what was originally planned for Act1 (Pribyslavits, Uzhits, monastery interriors and big parts of the forests were not originally planned). So KCD1 is actualy Act1++. Unfortunately it's also why the story ends so abruptly. However even then I believe we could have handled it better. And by we I mean Dan. He wanted the story to end this way and we had biiiiig internal disagreements about it. To almost no avail. He thinks it's a solid ending. I don't think so.

This explains SO MUCH. :love:

Thanks for being a good sport and talking about this stuff.

Last edited:
Hello,
I've got a question: will gog someday merge the four different installers? (HD textures, Hd voice pack, hd sound pack, the game).

Last edited:

Quillon

Arcane
Finished it. Did all the quests I could find. Only notable bug was at Siege quest; couldn't complete meat for the camps, kept re-giving the task as I brought 200 meat several times which lead the quest to fail and disappointed Sir Divish in the end, at least it didn't break the game.

Also large battles were a lot less broken, previously I could go behind the line and poke enemies with long sword to death in no time, now I had to use mace/axe(fucking sword is useless shit naow against any armor) and enemies were a lot more aware of where I was so I had to fight like...I fought anywhere else. Battles went on pretty long.

Last edited:

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Lol, seems like Warhorse Studios are p. fucking butthurt in their twitter. I mean I posted genuine positive tweet along the lines of:

"Happy to see patch 1.5 and can't wait to play thru' the game again! Hope the coding issues with rendering lights inside buildings when not entered is addressed as promised since it still probably is main cause of tanking FPS in large cities"

Albeit in little more detail than that but the tweet was promptly deleted by them. Kek.

? Other Twitter accounts can't delete your tweets. They can only block you.

Then how has my tweet disappeared?

I might have solved this. Looking at time and date I probably was so horribly drunk that I actually failed to send the message, didn't realize that and thought someone's elses message to be mine.

:deathclaw:

Master

Arbiter
Curious why wasn't the "leaf" physics implemented?
What do you mean? Sounds like CoD's "ZOMFG fish AI!!1!!1!!!" to me
Huh? I mean foliage reacting to the player, his movement, swordstrikes etc. You know like in Crysis, that 11 year old game, whose engine KCD uses?

Why wasnt this implemented? Granted i just looked at a couple of videos, maybe some physics options were set to low??

Paul_cz

Arcane
Huh? I mean foliage reacting to the player, his movement, swordstrikes etc. You know like in Crysis, that 11 year old game, whose engine KCD uses?

Why wasnt this implemented? Granted i just looked at a couple of videos, maybe some physics options were set to low??

It wasn't implemented because the CPU resources it would eat are better spent on other things, like making sure the game does not crawl due to calculating hundreds of NPC entities in the background, something no Crysis game ever had to do.

Smejki

I want to ask you a difficult question, which I will understand if you can't answer, but I am very curious about this, in terms of general game development and the industry.

Since KC:D was first announced back in 2012 or 2013, one of the biggest talking points was the realistic combat system, modeled on actual European historical fencing. Daniel Vavra and others constantly emphasized bringing in HEMA experts, and things of that nature, to make sure it was all realistic. Having now played the actual game, I have to say that I am very disappointed with the final melee combat system.

You guys were honest in that you did model the underlying fencing system very accurately, but there are two levels to a game combat system, the underlying model, and the actual system that the player uses. In KCD, the underlying model is very complex, as you have directional parries, directional attacks, combos, feints, and this is what makes people think at first glance that it's a very deep, challenging system.

But the actual combat system overlayed on top of this model is extremely simple and devoid of depth or challenge. It is essentially similar to Morrowind, in that it is almost entirely stat driven. Directional model of combat does not matter at all, because parrying is done automatically in the correct direction with a single button press (Q), and the attack direction does not matter either, as the success or failure of getting past the enemy's parry is stat based. Your character's stats are compared to the enemy's stats, and the result comes out of that. Combos always fail (as they should), so they are not an actual element of the combat system. And then you have more silly stuff like the Master Strike, which makes combat all about who has the ability and/or strikes/defends first.

The final outcome of all this is that once your character has sufficient stats/skills in the appropriate abilities, the combat system boils down to easily pressing Q (the window can be huge after a while), and doing a mindless follow up attack or masterstrike. Over and over. So this supposed "accurate" fencing system boils down to something exceedingly simple and boring.

I am especially disappointed because you guys have some of the people who worked on Operation Flashpoint and Mafia, both of which had amazing combat systems, and to be honest, I expected more.

This is not a negative criticism post, as I enjoyed parts of the game, and I have hopes that some DLCs or mods down the line will fix these things. I wish Warhose well, and hope you continue to release great historical games, but I am just curious to get your take on this, and why it happened this way. Was it just a concession to the casual mainstream gamer and better sales? Could a more in-depth and challenging system be introduced in the recently announced Hardcore DLC? I hope it won't just be a mode where the enemies have more hitpoints or armor, I want something that is technically more interesting, and as gaming enthusiasts, that's what you guys should be shooting for.

Quillon

Arcane
Btw. apart from all the quest logic problems and dull as fuck Henry character, what bugged me the most about the story is how comicbook evul was Istvan Toth, what was Vavra thinking...

throwaway

Cipher
Pretty please, could I get short version on why this gets all sorts of far right-related jokes on the dex?

Bonus: Could anyone bother to explain its status in the world of gaming by using examples from no later than 2012? Is it like Witcher in 2007? Like Gothic 1 in 2001? Like Mount and Blade in 2010? Venetica-2010? Drakensang-2009? Stalker(?!) late 00s? I'd love to know how high this ought to be on my to-play list of stuff that I'll get to in 2023.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Pretty please, could I get short version on why this gets all sorts of far right-related jokes on the dex?

Bonus: Could anyone bother to explain its status in the world of gaming by using examples from no later than 2012? Is it like Witcher in 2007? Like Gothic 1 in 2001? Like Mount and Blade in 2010? Venetica-2010? Drakensang-2009? Stalker(?!) late 00s? I'd love to know how high this ought to be on my to-play list of stuff that I'll get to in 2023.

It's a nazi game by nazis for nazis, full of nazi things.

It plays as if Dwarf Fortress and Mario Kart had a nazi baby. Stay away.

vazha

Arcane

It's definitely worth checking out. Not on par with Gothic and M & B of course, but other than that a very good game. Could have been so much more than what it is though - it just fell short of being a genuine modern classic. Nevertheless, if the devs heed to the feedback and improve on what they've already built, sky's the limit for the next Kingdom Come.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
This game has literally nothing in common with M&B. And it definitely is on par with Gothic. If there was a Gothic-like genre (after Souls-like) then KCD would be a great Gothic-like game.

Master

Arbiter

It wasn't implemented because the CPU resources it would eat are better spent on other things, like making sure the game does not crawl due to calculating hundreds of NPC entities in the background, something no Crysis game ever had to do.

:decline: of Czechia then. You would think a decade later this wouldnt be a problem. Oh well...

2412046-2552415385-24120.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom