Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Books You'd Love To See Adapted Into CRPG's

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Worldwar series by Harry Turtledove.

The_Black_Company.jpg

Myth was inspired by this and I miss it dearly. But a true adaptation of Black Company would be great. Small squad-level tactics game, preferably turn-based.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Atlas Shrugged

Play as John Galt ; survive the forces of communism trying to capture you. As you battle against corrupt government officials and religious leaders, your goal is to contact the remain of the free-elite, organize their escape from this hellhole and build a society that can prosper thanks to the workforce and intelligence of those you convinced.

Only then can your revolution starts, but you first must take control of the media.

Combat is done through cash-only.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I agree with everyone who’s mentioned the Malazan books, which would presumably be easier to adapt since Erikson already has his own pen and paper ruleset.

For those who mentioned Moorcock, there is an Elric pen and paper RPG from Chaosium and back in the day there were Elric MUDs. Other than that I’m a little surprised that his stuff never gets adapted. Or really any sword & sorcery beyond Conan. There should be a dozen Fritz Leiber CRPGs. A shared universe like Thieves World could have a lot of potential, too.

Great Deceiver the setup and many of the characters in Tyranny were heavily inspired by The Black Company, although it loses the vibe as the game goes on.

some covers:

Not to Redwall derail this thread, but posting Redwall covers without posting the original trilogy's is rather absurd. They are three of my absolute favorite genre fiction covers ever made (although I was admittedly the perfect age for the initial few books, and am likely being influenced by nostalgia).

redwall_canty.jpg
mf-oldsoftcover-us.gif
mt-oldsoftcover-us.gif

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
What an excellent topic!

Odissey, Iliad - Homer. The pinnacle of the epic genre.

Spot on. Odyssey in particular.

My thoughts:
The Road. Dealing with a purely human motif could set up a good writer well. Plus the setting is ripe for a cRPG.

Neuromancer/Burning chrome/Mirror shades. I wouldn't mind more Cyberpunk that's not FPS or strategy.

Caconym

Savant
Diaspora by Greg Egan

Do rpg books count? Cool, then Ars Magica, SLA Industries, Kult, Mutant Chronicles and Shadow of the Demon Lord.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
There are pretty famous fantasy novels like Wheel of Time and Malazan Book of the Fallen that would be so great as RPG settings that I can not understand why nobody bought the IP yet. Particularly in these times where fantasy is successful and people are looking for cheap ways to cash in on the GoT hype. WoT for example will be turned into a TV series. Malazan is probably to complicated but it would make for an excellent RPG and the wold building is so vast and detailed that many stories could be told in it.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I would have loved a true RPG based on the Death Gate Cycle, their spin on traditional races in such bizzare settings as well as the Laberynth would have made an awesome setting

wyes gull

Savant
Animal Farm. Why aren't there more farm animal PCs in RPGs, again?

Also, haven't read the book(s) but if I get the gist right from the TV show, Altered Carbon. In its world, humans have their memories, personalities and intellect stored in chips at the base of their necks so that when their bodies die, they can be transferred to a new body (a sleeve) so that they can keep on living. What makes this interesting as a possible RPG is, that whereas you get to pick your skillset to start, you don't get to pick your stats. Those are dependent on the sleeve and sleeves are assigned at random. So for instance, say you pick a shooting related skillset and you're assigned a dude with myopia. You either have to raise money to get it medically fixed, have to train your skills to offset your stats, find a new sleeve or just suffer through it; all the while playing to your sleeve's strengths so you can get by. Or say you pumped speech and seduction and are assigned a fat pensioner. Same issues. Further along in the game (with more credits/better reputation) you could have your choice of sleeves, create copies of your better ones or even re-capture your original with stats to match the skills you started with so you could tackle quests that would otherwise be impossible. Would be a cool way to force players out of their comfort zones, to play the hand they're dealt rather than the one specific character they have all mapped out. Also, rife with amusing situations. Who wouldn't want to see a black ops grandma? Or the 12 year old arena champion with the cartoon backpack and pigtails?

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Metamorphosis
"When Gregor Samsa woke up one morning from unsettling dreams, he found himself changed in his bed into a..."
[] giant beetle (+5 AC, +1 Dex, - 4 Cha)
[] giant spider (+4 Dex, +2 Per, - 4 Cha)
[] giant fly (Flight, +4 Per, - 4 Cha, - 2 Int)

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The Black Company series by Glen Gook. I bet Tyranny draws a lot of inspirations from there.

Harry Harrison's Death World.

Almost anything from early R.Jelazny, like Lord of Light.

I could have mentioned Jordan's Wheel of Time, due to vast and detailed world, but for amount of "women in power" it would be certainly branded as SJW fiction nowdays.

vazha

Arcane
The Road. Dealing with a purely human motif could set up a good writer well. Plus the setting is ripe for a cRPG.
Damn, how could I forget Cormack McCarthy? Blood Meridian would make an excellent RPG. Judge Holden is out there with the very best villains ever written.

"Men are born for games. Nothing else. Every child knows that play is nobler than work. He knows too that the worth or merit of a game is not inherent in the game itself but rather in the value of that which is put at hazard. Games of chance require a wager to have meaning at all. Games of sport involve the skill and strength of the opponents and the humiliation of defeat and the pride of victory are in themselves sufficient stake because they inhere in the worth of the principals and define them. But the trial of chance or trial of worth all games aspire to the condition of war for here that which is wagered swallows up game, player, all. War is the ultimate game because war is at last a forcing of the unity of existence. War is god."

:shredder:

Damn, how could I forget Cormack McCarthy? Blood Meridian would make an excellent RPG. Judge Holden is out there with the very best villains ever written.

"Men are born for games. Nothing else. Every child knows that play is nobler than work. He knows too that the worth or merit of a game is not inherent in the game itself but rather in the value of that which is put at hazard. Games of chance require a wager to have meaning at all. Games of sport involve the skill and strength of the opponents and the humiliation of defeat and the pride of victory are in themselves sufficient stake because they inhere in the worth of the principals and define them. But the trial of chance or trial of worth all games aspire to the condition of war for here that which is wagered swallows up game, player, all. War is the ultimate game because war is at last a forcing of the unity of existence. War is god."

Blood Meridian would be interesting, but The Road? Theres barely anything there.

hivemind

The Quran

play as a companion of the Prophet during the initial spread of Islam and be faced with various moral choice along the way

at the end of the game you get a score of how in line with the sunnah your decisions have been

alkeides 2.0

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
The Quran

play as a companion of the Prophet during the initial spread of Islam and be faced with various moral choice along the way

at the end of the game you get a score of how in line with the sunnah your decisions have been
Let it be Morrowind style sandbox where you can kill Mahound. XD

hivemind

That's the "Absolutely Haram" achievement.

Rewards include 100 achievement points, a foil steam card, and a mandatory beheading coupon.

vazha

Arcane

Blood Meridian would be interesting, but The Road? Theres barely anything there.
Would make a good survival CYOA though.

Jason Liang

Arcane
51c9HtVbHPL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Silence. I've mentioned this idea many times but when you watch Scorsese's film adaptation you can totally see this as a Darklands style open world rpg set in the Indian Ocean/ South Pacific during the last years of the 30 Years War, with Jesuit missionaries, inquisitors, Dutch and Portugese merchants, pirates and samurai. What other setting gives you missionaries, pirates and samurai?

les_miserables_book.jpg

Likewise, an rpg based very loosely on Les Miserables, set in post-Napoleon Western Europe/ America in the early 19th century. Valjean has thief skills:D Not a book but the game could use Goya's Ghosts as an inspiration.

909216.jpg

Obviously this is mostly an excuse to get an Egyptian rpg, but you can base an rpg off of Norman Mailer's Ancient Evenings.

md16547880527.jpg
20130309_6d9a07.jpg

TheIlluminatis.jpg

Speaking of Mailer, a Hell's Angels rpg based off Hunter S. Thompson's Hell's Angels book. Additionally, you can add even more background from other books about the 60's and 70's like Timothy Leary's Confessions of a Hope Fiend (to add in the Black Panthers and the Weather Underground), or even Robert Anton Wilson's Illuminatus trilogy for even more weirdness.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom