Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Shadenuat

Arcane
I am still a bit pissed that the only pirate companion is against slavery and against racism and pro buttseks :shittydog:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I certainly didn't expect "The final journal of Jonas" to be such a smash hit that I would be able to find copies of it from Dyrford Village all the way to Neketaka!

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Just entered the Gullet for the first time, met Pitli. I understand that I'm expected to fight the evils of capitalism. Nice.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Isn't the Gullet itself a representation of institutionalized ghettoisation? It's more like the evils of that.

Shadenuat

Arcane
It's the evils of caste society if anything. It's not a bad idea to see moana huana culture from this perspective. Very grim aztec.

As they say gulag is best part of this game's quest lines.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Well, yeah, this caste system leads to institutionalised ghettoisation and promises of a better afterlife as justification. The Vailians can kinda sort this out by hiring cheap muscle, they are already doing that. It would've been an interesting exploration, instead of helping individual cases and inviting even more violence in the process, you could've convinced the Vailians to mass hire them for the work on adra refinement and outpost building. This would inevitably lead to the lowest caste having more resources to step up in Neketaka, causing delicious drama with the Huana. This basically writes itself.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Megan Starks, also responsible for this:

aNWIaYr.jpg

And she now somehow has representation with a lit agent. I don't understand the world.

Xoti I'm torn about. Style-wise her writing is childish and cringeworthy, but her quest is arguably the only interesting companion quest and the choice to have a hillbilly VO adds an a cool flavor to the character.

One voiced line from Xoti was enough to convince me hillbilly VO was exactly as stupid an idea as it sounded.

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
To be honest, Tekehu is up there with Serafen

He is actually very well written, If you can see past his courting :lol: (which is easily done by engaging in romance with someone else)

And out of all companions he is the most relevant to the main quest, so much so that he doesn't have an actual side quest, but an unmarked one which progresses through faction/main quests

Last edited:

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
And finished. 58 hours total playtime.

Some closing thoughts:

- The final level stinks of cut content for a country mile.
- It's massive :incline: that you can just show all the idiot factions the middle finger and sail to victory alone.
- The endgame "dilemma" has to be the least dilemmatic dilemma of all time. Poe1 reveals the gods are a bunch of fakes. In Poe2 each time you interact with the gods they act like a bunch of clueless cretins. Eothas says "the gods were a mistake, they're nothing but trash". Point me to where he's wrong because I feel like I'm missing something important here.
- Good enough game overall. Much better than poe1 in every single aspect. That's right.
- Whoever wrote this is a 12-yo girl:

201806102021361.jpg

That is all.

Sounds like your play through is similar to mine. I'd be interested to know your thoughts on some actual C&C opportunities missed (and if you had anything different than me in your ending).
I also released the water dragon, but picked up the artifact described as important for restoring the watershaping at the very end. However, the watershaping died in my ending slide, with Tekehu alone doing tricks in middle of the ocean.
Second thing, after killing the best Rauataian force led by their supreme commander in Ukaizo, they somehow don't feel the blow and continue to wage war in my ending slide, like nothing happened.
It doesn't feel like anything maters, apart from some basic, rudimentary, but nonsensical triggers, in terms of getting the end slides for factions.

The watcher showing the finger to everyone and fucking off back to rebuild his castle was probably the most realistic slide.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Xoti I'm torn about. Style-wise her writing is childish and cringeworthy, but her quest is arguably the only interesting companion quest and the choice to have a hillbilly VO adds an a cool flavor to the character.

One voiced line from Xoti was enough to convince me hillbilly VO was exactly as stupid an idea as it sounded.

Her VO is so over the top it actually fits the character perfectly, including cringeworthy writing and edgy banter. Like, the entire concept is so ridiculous and cheesy, it's almost clever. If it was Avellone writing it, some people would probably try to argue it's a brilliant deconstruction of stereotypical fantasy archetypes or some such nonsense.

But since it's the legendary Megan Starks, well...

Lacrymas

Arcane
The deconstruction has to go somewhere for it to be brilliant. It's not enough to go "hillbilly priests in MY fantasy?", how zany and unusual!

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Oh but it does go somewhere, thatsthejoke.jpg my nigga. It goes exactly how you would expect the stereotypical archetype to go, except exaggerated into monty pythonesque absurdity.

Why I'm saying I'm torn about her, I genuinely can't decide if Xoti is incredibly shit or intentionally plays on player expectations. But the odds are, it's not the latter.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Oh but it does go somewhere, thatsthejoke.jpg my nigga. It goes exactly how you would expect the stereotypical archetype to go, except exaggerated into monty pythonesque absurdity.

Why I'm saying I'm torn about her, I genuinely can't decide if Xoti is incredibly shit or intentionally plays on player expectations. But the odds are, it's not the latter.
When forced to choose between subtle, subversive genius and basic incompetence, always assume the latter.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
The final choice was really bizarre.
After two entire games worth of demonstrating how the gods are cruel, arbitrary, callous, and often outright disdainful of humanity, up to and including the revelation that all godlike are just literal human batteries for them in case they need an extra power boost and forcing you with a geas and under threat of death to be their errand boy, the game swings around at the end and treats the idea of them being revealed as frauds as if it's something morally ambiguous. Why would you not want to get rid of these people? There really are no stakes in stopping Eothas because you have absolutely no reason to want to stop Eothas in the first place. He's completely in the right.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Patron
At first I thought the digsite dungeon was pretty cool, but I thought, come on, that's the crit path, the PoE initial dungeon was cool too.

Then I went to Deadlight, and it was a much expanded version of Raedric's hold, but I was still unconvinced because Raedric's hold was a one-off thing, so this may be a one-off thing too.

Then Neketaka turns out to be a fantasy RPG city hub done right, with all the exploration and variety, and abundance of quests.

I had a combat where I killed the Spindle man (I'm playing veteran, scale all, only upwards), and I actually had to use tactics and consider what to cast.

I'm pretty impressed so far. Even if Neketaka is a large part of the content, I don't see anything wrong with that. So was Athkatla. The archipelago is open for exploration, so it's not like the content is thin. And this is even before the expansion DLCs.

The issues I have with the ruleset, dialogues, VO, and music, can all be fixed by modding. So this can be a classic with some work, and it's a great game as of now.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I will, once I have examples. What, you aren't edgy but are actually very objective? I have every reason to expect you to be exaggerating.

Over the years I've grown p. perceptive to fake choices and games never following up on shit you do.

Throughout the entire game I haven't seen anything (major) that I could recognise as the game reacting to any choice, other than some throwaway dialogue line like "o u did that well that's interesting, now for your next quest..." or "waaah how dare u, here's a generic throwaway combat encounter". The fact that you can do all the quests for everyone (except the final ones which are mutually exclusive, but that's hardly C&C either) only confirms me in my suspicions. And then there was that one goy somewhere earlier in the thread who said you can just genocide all the towns and all the faction leaders and it doesn't matter for shit lol.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
instead of rating me edgy, tell me how i'm wrong, AwesomeButton

ending slides are not consequences
I will, once I have examples. What, you aren't edgy but are actually very objective? I have every reason to expect you to be exaggerating.

The hamster of doom has actually been very even-handed in his appraisal overall. The game has a lot of surface reactivity and a lot of choices, but all too often those choices don’t carry the consequences they should. I wouldn’t say there are no real conquences, though, it’s just that the lack of certain important consequences, especially vis-a-vis the factions, is incredibly glaring. And it was clearly a deliberate design decision because they didn’t want to lock people out of content.

Edit: ninjaed by ratling...
:necro:

AwesomeButton

Patron
Over the years I've grown p. perceptive to fake choices and games never following up on shit you do.

Throughout the entire game I haven't seen anything (major) that I could recognise as the game reacting to any choice, other than some throwaway dialogue line like "o u did that well that's interesting, now for your next quest..." or "waaah how dare u, here's a generic throwaway combat encounter". The fact that you can do all the quests for everyone (except the final ones which are mutually exclusive, but that's hardly C&C either) only confirms me in my suspicions. And then there was that one goy somewhere earlier in the thread who said you can just genocide all the towns and all the faction leaders and it doesn't matter for shit lol.
Ok, let's see. I'll bring up concrete examples, and it will probably turn out we have different expectations for what is C&C. Then I'll ask you to give me examples of good C&C from other games, and it will turn out you have double standards, right?

Parabalus

Arcane
The final choice was really bizarre.
After two entire games worth of demonstrating how the gods are cruel, arbitrary, callous, and often outright disdainful of humanity, up to and including the revelation that all godlike are just literal human batteries for them in case they need an extra power boost and forcing you with a geas and under threat of death to be their errand boy, the game swings around at the end and treats the idea of them being revealed as frauds as if it's something morally ambiguous. Why would you not want to get rid of these people? There really are no stakes in stopping Eothas because you have absolutely no reason to want to stop Eothas in the first place. He's completely in the right.

But

who says you even want stop Eothas?
You don't have a choice but to follow him, otherwise Berath turns you into a squirrel. You can even tell the gods point blank they should all be exterminated several times when you converse with them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom