Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Don't be silly, the quests will mostly be the same, only different way to do them. There may be some specific class related quests (like a prologue, where each class starts from a different background), but I highly doubt they'll have several main quest lines specific to each class.

conan_edw

Arbiter
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah of course I mean the side content. For example lots of TW3 side quests relied on Witcher senses which is still an ability that Geralt had and most of the quest givers wanted to benefit from you because you were a witcher. They didn't have an open structure for the quests that allows different styles but strongly focused on what Geralt can do

Sentinel

Arcane
It's pretty challenging to have the same quests for classes that are as distinct as "Corporative", "Fixer", "Netrunner", "Media", "Cop"... It'll definitely be interesting to see how they tackle that massive problem.

If they choose to tone down the number of roles significantly or have no differences in quest resolution then I'm dropping the game entirely.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Compared to most modern iterations of cyberpunk genre, this from trailer actually looks very punk.

We'll see if they make something cool of their own, or not-GTA with gadgets.

Quillon

Arcane
It's pretty challenging to have the same quests for classes that are as distinct as "Corporative", "Fixer", "Netrunner", "Media", "Cop"... It'll definitely be interesting to see how they tackle that massive problem.

Been wondering that for a long while...

Took a look at the rulebook today... well, if they aren't gonna make a pre-defined character with a set class, they are gonna need some miracle many miracles to pull it off.

Cyberpunk is just more diverse than Witcher; you can't just break it down to adding more locations, that's not what "expanding vision" means. Imagine you can play Witcher 3 with 9 different classes some of which doesn't even fight most of the time if not at all. Imagine playing with Dandilion through the whole game and the work CDPR would have needed to do to support that and there are 9 or more roles in CP, double dat with gender choice and all the different traits and skills and whatnots that a character has.

Alexios

Augur
Patron
Having separate storylines for each class would most likely result in all of them being equally shallow and forgettable - ironically, just like GTA 5 with its different protagonists.

Perkel

Arcane
I don't thing they will go for closed classes and i think classes will just represent starting skills + origins story.
Aside from that your class will probably provide some unique content, dialogs, C&C etc.
Overall all classes will end up in same place after prologue and from then on main story will driving all of them same way with deviations here and there.

There is no way they would do basically cyberpunk2077xclass number.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
In other words, the same approach that can be found in every class-based RPG ever created. Classes will differ by flavor text and combat style, everything else will be 99% the same and 1% unique content. Expecting anything else is just wishful thinking.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You guys are missing the point. It's not the fact that game has daytime that's the problem, it's the tone seem in the images and trailer that don't make it feel like a Cyberpunk setting.

There are good Cyberpunk stories that have set pieces during daytime, but even during those set pieces their mood is still consistent with what the setting represents. Unlike the vibes Cyberpunk 2077 has. Compare the following:

MV5BNTcxNjlmYmUtNjY2NS00MTE3LTgwMTMtMWIyNDUyOTc1YWU5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDYzNTI2ODc@._V1_.jpg

serveimage
MV5BMWM5MTZiZTUtNTIyMy00NzM1LThkMDMtMTdhNWMxZDU5YjI5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTA1OTEwNjE@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,1288,1000_AL_.jpg

Ghost_Shell_1995_Screenshot_0998.jpg
MV5BOTJlMzY3NzgtOWY5OC00NTIxLTg4OTQtOTg5YWE4MmI1OWMyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjQ3NzIyNTQ@._V1_.jpg
serveimage

Akira_Screenshot_0738.jpg

Akira_Screenshot_0817.jpg

MV5BNDkxNzY5MjIxNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDg5NjUyMjI@._V1_SX1777_CR0,0,1777,744_AL_.jpg

MV5BNjEzYmVjMTYtMmE0MC00NjAzLWIxMTgtZTliZjNkZjMxYjQ1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzg2ODI2OTU@._V1_SX1777_CR0,0,1777,740_AL_.jpg

blade-runner-2049-1200-1200-675-675-crop-000000.jpg

Blade-Runner-blade-runner-2049-movies-car-futuristic-snow-winter-Ryan-Gosling-Harrison-Ford-1240257.jpg

serveimage

Despite their different places their atmosphere is consistent with the setting. These feel depressing almost hopeless.

Now comparing with ''Cyberpunk'' 2077:

VK1ksEy.png
cwS8ITH.png
mSVd8rb.png
tN0rEm2.png

Everything is so clean, colorful and vibrant. Isn't this supposed to be a fucking dystopia?

They also fails at small and quite logical details of the setting. For example, 'punks' are supposed to be the counterculture. However here they are shown advertisements. So... wouldn't that make it the opposite of a counter culture?

Even when comparing to the original Cyberpunk artwork and descriptions, this game makes no connection:
6YpikKz2SzAyUui3mwNqhA.jpg

Or even general 80's Cyberpunk aesthetics:

serveimage
serveimage
serveimage
serveimage
serveimage

city-bridge-768x364.png

Hell even when the man that defined the setting/genre says that it isn't very Cyberpunk.

As for the GTA V comparisions. No it's not autism, the city looks similar to LA and this trailer they showed resembles a lot of the first GTA V trailer, even in tone:

Lx4G9Hr.png

1528669668044.png

Totally Cyberpunk.

you are cherry picking shots. there are totally stuff in the trailer that scream "cyberpunk"

Matticus

Educated
1528723102069.jpg

Two stunning shots of 2077 at different times of day.

In all seriousness, I'm just waiting to see gameplay and I'm at least happy that CDPR allow you to create a unique character this time around.

Last edited:

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
I appreciate densly populated city, but wonder if they're up to the task of optimization, considering Novigrad took a heavy hit for that same reason. Remember pyres in Novigrad square, and how the smoke combined with lots of people affected the frame rate?

Sentinel

Arcane
Yeah is character creation confirmed? I want to make crazy badass lesbian robot like motoko from gits
Yes

It's been over 2077 days since we announced our plan to develop Cyberpunk 2077. We released a CGI trailer, gave some interviews and... went dark. Normal procedure for these kinds of things - you announce a game and then shut up, roll up your sleeves and go to work. We wanted to giveyou The Witcher 3 and both expansions first, which is why this period of staying silent was longer than we planned. Sorry for that.

As soon as we concluded work on Blood and Wine, we were able to go full speed ahead with CP2077's pre-production. But we chose to remain silent. Why? At some point, we made a decision to resume talking about the game only when we have something to show. Something meaningful and substantial. This is because we do realise you've been (im)patiently waiting for a very long time, and we wouldn't like anyone to feel that we're taking this for granted. On the contrary - it gives us a lot of extra motivation. The hype is real, so the sweat and tears need to be real, too. :)

But, to the point. Today is the day. If you're seeing this, it means you saw the trailer - our vision of Cyberpunk, an alternative version of the future where America is in pieces, megacorporations control all aspects of civilised life, and gangs rule the rest. And, while this world is full of adrenaline, don't let the car chases and guns mislead you. Cyberpunk 2077 is a true single player, story-driven RPG. You'll be able to create your own character and... well, you'll get to know the rest from what we show at our booth at E3. Be on the lookout for the previews!

Before we finish, you probably have some questions,

1. When?
When we told you we would only release the game when it's ready, we meant it. We're infinitely much closer to a release date than we were back then :), but it's still not the time to confirm anything, so patience is still required. Quality is the only thing that drives us - it's the beauty of being an independent studio and your own publisher.

2. How big?
Seriously big, but..., to be honest, we have no bloody clue at this point in time. Once we put it all together, we will openly tell you what you can expect. And we promise we'll do this before we start talking about any pre-orders or ask anything of you.

3. Free DLC/Expansions/DRM?
Expect nothing less than you got with The Witcher 3. As for DRM, CP2077 will be 100% DRM-free on PC.

4. Microtransactions?
In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?

Once again, thank you for your patience. If you have a minute, do visit cyberpunk.net and share your opinion (about anything) with us. We read everything you post and we treat it very seriously.

Yours,
CD PROJEKT RED Team.

Last edited:

Monkey Baron

Arbiter
Patron
I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't know why but I'm not really impressed by the trailer. I'm sure it'll be good but I can't help but think of GTA like many people have already mentioned.

Already an obvious choice for GOTY. This is as diverse a PNP adaption can get since (AFAIK) it's the only PNP designed by a black guy.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Again... Is Cyberpunk check the source material... The game will feature day night cycle and the shot taken at night look exactly like the old trailer... Part of the city has been rebuilt also after the last corporate war that ended up with a nuke on the Arasaka towers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mustawd

Again... Is Cyberpunk check the source material... The game will feature day night cycle and the shot taken at night look exactly like the old trailer...

Again please read the posts. Day night cycle means nothing in and of itself. See new BR movie. See Final Fantasy Advent Children. Whole movie takes place during the day and it never feels like a fucking colorful bright MMO. Neither does Minority Report in any of its different locations.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

You are providing examples that are totally out of context... Final fantasy advent Childern? Blade runner? Those are not Cyberpunk as setting but as genre. Cyberpunk is based on a setting.

Mustawd

No I’m making a point where daylight evokes a specific mood. They are not all cyberpunk settings. But my examples show many sequences in daylight and are completely different than the feelz evoked in the Cyberpunk trailer.

In other words, the “it has day night cycles” statement is a poor excuse for an aesthetic that feels off in a cyberpunk setting.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

No you are totally wrong and i explain you why.. Night city is divided by sector and again part of the city was recently rebuilt due to the nuking of the Arasaka tower... You are confusing Cyberpunk as a genre with CYberpunk as a setting that are two separated things..While i enjoyed ghost in the shell,Blade runner,Akira while being cyberpunk as a genre they are not part of the cyberpunk setting... Most of the sequence of the trailer were in the middle class,corporate district that is why they looked so clean... last part of the video were largely on the combat zone and out of the city itself.. The combat zone is divided from the rest of the city by a wall...Who made this trailer known pretty well the source materials of Cyberpunk 2020 most people that complain were expecting more a Deus Ex kind of game that while being Cyberpunk and arguably as a genre is not part of the Cyberpunk source material.

What you people are doing is like take a new fantasy book and complain that there are not Hobbit there even if this fantasy book don't share middle earth as a setting.

Now she is mad queen she is one of the biggest cyberpunk setting fan out here and she is a master on the lore... See her reaction cd project red NAILED the setting pretty well it was also my reaction too :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBzKwBi9XnU

Watch her videos because she explain a lot about the lores.

KK1001

Arbiter
Only way to properly do Night City will be to have its various zones/regions be separated by a loading screen. Seamless open world games just end up with toy cities. Consoles simply don't have the power to do dense, urban areas well.

Mustawd

What you people are doing is like take a new phatasy book and complain that there are not Hobbit there even if this fantasy book don't share middle earth as a setting

Hey hooker. If you don’t want it to be part of a typical cyberpunk setting then stop complaining ppl are comparing it to GTA V or a futuristic LA. CUZ THAT’S WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE RIGHT NOW.

EDIT: sorry for the caps, my english is not very good looking.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Sorry.... But if you are ignorant in the setting you should do yourself a favour and stop posting :D

Again you are confusing the cyberpunk genre with the cyberpunk setting

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom