Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 76 - online Fallout spinoff from Bethesda - now on Steam with Wastelanders NPC expansion

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
oowswZ9.jpg

Shadenuat

Arcane
Looool it's a cheap cash grab on the level of mod to Fallout 4. If anything it looks just like mod to F4 and maybe was some modders idea or hired modder made them this. And they're selling it. And they want all modders to gib them their moneys. So shamelessly evil and they're like yeaaaah u gonna eat it

fuck this world

jf8350143

Liturgist
Ubisoft is trying to make Assassin's Creed: Odyssey into an RPG by adding dialogue options and branching stories, meanwhile Bethesda is making a online only Fallout game with 0 npcs.

You tell me this last year I would never believed it, but now I'm more looking forward to the next AC game than the Fallout game.

frajaq

Erudite
Ubisoft is trying to make Assassin's Creed: Odyssey into an RPG by adding dialogue options and branching stories, meanwhile Bethesda is making a online only Fallout game with 0 npcs.

Oh really now, where did you see that? I looked at the dialogue options and was like "meh a lot of games have them these days"

Granted I'll probably get odyssey if only because of the cool setting

e: nevermind found a quote on some article

It’s going to be more of an RPG than ever. Odyssey creative director Jonathan Dumont says the new game “is pushing our franchise into full RPG.” He might as well have said it’s going full BioWare, as Odyssey is bringing several role-playing game stand-bys familiar in that studio’s RPGs into Assassin’s Creed for the first time. Those include: a multiple choice dialogue system, branching quests, multiple possible endings and even the ability to romance several characters.

interesting actually

jf8350143

Liturgist

Oh really now, where did you see that? I looked at the dialogue options and was like "meh a lot of games have them these days"

Granted I'll probably get odyssey if only because of the cool setting

e: nevermind found a quote on some article

It’s going to be more of an RPG than ever. Odyssey creative director Jonathan Dumont says the new game “is pushing our franchise into full RPG.” He might as well have said it’s going full BioWare, as Odyssey is bringing several role-playing game stand-bys familiar in that studio’s RPGs into Assassin’s Creed for the first time. Those include: a multiple choice dialogue system, branching quests, multiple possible endings and even the ability to romance several characters.

interesting actually

Yes, they said there will be different outcome depending on your choices and different endings, but I don't really expect much from them. But hey, it's much better than an online game where every person you run into is another player and will try to put a bullet into your face.

Besides, AAA developers really hate RPGs, so anyone who is willing to try is a plus in my eye.

Lexx

Cipher

Well, they did use lots of other stuff from old docs already before. The deathclaw-like crocodiles are from Tactics 2 that never happened, some of the weapons were from PoS2 that never happened, etc. So it is not surprising to see them using even more.

The idea of Van Buren is still very popular, which they know of by now as well, and will likely try to profit from.

Last edited:

jf8350143

Liturgist
Ok, comes to think of it, both Bioware and Bethesda are making online only game with barely any story in it, while Ubisoft is trying to make a full-blown RPG.

What the heck just happened this E3?

Cael

Arcane
If I want to nuke stuff, I'd play Empire Earth and let the B52s do the talking...

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I want to know if I can play offline, FFS.
(and pirate it)

Is this too much to ask, Todd ? I'll ask him on Twitter.

Turjan

Arcane
I want to know if I can play offline, FFS.
(and pirate it)

Is this too much to ask, Todd ? I'll ask him on Twitter.
As he said that, even when you play "singleplayer", you will meet other players, I would interpret that as a "No".

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Christ, I really hope this fails spectacularly. Maybe then they’ll consider licensing the IP to studios that can write stories and characters again, rather than making another Fallout branded game with no fucking NPCs. This thing needs to bomb.

Fallout 4 may not have been an RPG, but at least it kept some RPG elements. The fact that they thought they still needed RPG camouflage was something.

Now BGS has just doubled down on their core competency: landscape design. And that’s it! This garbage must be repudiated.

Cael

Arcane
Christ, I really hope this fails spectacularly. Maybe then they’ll consider licensing the IP to studios that can write stories and characters again, rather than making another Fallout branded game with no fucking NPCs. This thing needs to bomb.

Fallout 4 may not have been an RPG, but at least it kept some RPG elements. The fact that they thought they still needed RPG camouflage was something.

Now BGS has just doubled down on their core competency: landscape design. And that’s it! This garbage must be repudiated.
Reached your

giphy.gif

moment, eh?

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

So, players can press X and renuke an area, and also take pics with your pals with a dead Deathclaw while doing goofy poses oh boy oh boy

The nuked area will provide new gameplay elements, where you have to scavenge for better resources, thats a good mechanic, it reminds me of the glow from fallout 1

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
btw there are no NPC's, every 'human' you will see, is a player.

Quests will be handed out from terminals etc

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron

Reached your

giphy.gif

moment, eh?

The Balrog must be stopped. If this shit sells better than New Vegas then we’ll never have another Fallout RPG. It’s an existential threat for the franchise in a way that even 3 and 4 weren’t.

Lexx

Cipher
It will sell like hot cake. Folks act pissy right now, but we all know they eat this shit on release day.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
The Balrog must be stopped. If this shit sells better than New Vegas then we’ll never have another Fallout RPG. It’s an existential threat for the franchise in a way that even 3 and 4 weren’t.

It will be the best selling bethesda game to date, because

A) its new
B) Starfield and TES 6 are years away

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Imagine when the modding tools will go live in fallout 76 and people will be able to play with their creations online

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Reached your

giphy.gif

moment, eh?

This is a turning point indeed. Bethesda is testing the waters with this. Just like Bioware did with Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age 2. And we all know where did that led.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Just like Bioware did with Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age 2. And we all know where did that led.

Bioware went from a decent game to full derp in one step, destroying its own games.

Bethesda seems is keeping the same game, just adding multiplayer

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
'bethesda is finaly giving the most requested feature, killing children'

:lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom