Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview First Cyberpunk 2077 gameplay details revealed

deuxhero

Arcane
Given the enemies will almost certainly include humans who would share a skeleton with the third person player for cutscenes, the animations aren't actually much of a problem unless there is lots of stuff only the player character can do.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
It might not be what you expected, but what I was really expecting from the start was a Deus Ex game on the scale, size and graphic quality of The Witcher 3. It looks like this might just be it ?

Anyways, they are in awe of the graphics but what they really need to do is wait for the obvious downgrade.

Shilandra

Learned
Why cant the game have both?

In the IGN interview it was alluded that some of the effects and visuals are very fpp specific. For example, there is a scene where a doctor removes an eye implant and the PC is seeing themselves via both eyes...aka from outaide and regular view (or somethig similar to that. I dont remember 100%). Presumabely, this is what CDPR means with FPP being more immersive.

Also, if that was the plan from the start, creating animations for tpp could cause them to go over budget or delay the game release. Since FPP games normally only animate the arms and weapons of the player character.

Being a public company I don’t think they want to do either unless they feel it’s worth it financially.

Okay. I understand that and what you're saying makes perfect sense. For something like that, which the game could be full of instances of, FPP would be the ideal choice for maximum immersion. However, for things like that the perspective can be forced on the player when the scenes call for that. I mean, deus ex does that where the game is in first person but switches to 3rd person for cut scenes. The devs have also said there will be lots of opportunities to see your character which implies they're forcing a 3rd person perspective at least for cutscenes so I dont see why the reverse couldn't also happen (Forcing the player into first person for a scene if they're in third person while still allowing players to determine their perspective the majority of the time)

The business side of it is harder to argue against. You could be right in that trying to add TPP could make them go over budget and delay the game or any number of other problems. Personally, if it didn't put them into dire financial straights, I wouldn't mind a delay if it meant adding the ability for the players to choose their perspective. I think others would too considering how long people have already waited for the game.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I would launch a pogrom against TPP advocates if this game gets delayed by a single day to implement something so unnecessary.

Unless a game is all about melee combat there is no reason for a third person over the shoulder view.

FPP > TPP-over-the-shoulder

Shilandra

Learned
I would launch a pogrom against TPP advocates if this game gets delayed by a single day to implement something so unnecessary.

Unless a game is all about melee combat there is no reason for a third person over the shoulder view.

Well, yeah of course its unnecessary. So is player character customization and I can guarantee you implementing that delayed the game more than implementing a TPP camera ever could.

Im also glad you believe that FPP > TPP. Thats great! Which is why you would be able to play the entire game in FPP if the player was give the ability to choose between those perspectives. Its win-win for everyone involved considering everyone would get to play with their preferred perspective. I'm not quite sure why this is such a controversial opinion.

Mustawd

Whats weird is that from what I’ve read the char customization isn’t that deep.

For example, you can’t change the character’s bone structure. So dat fat
Guy getting shot at In the trailer? Yah you cant be him.

Meanwhile NFL 2k 2002 allowed you to make a fat qb who was 6ft 5 and had 99/99 speed. Life isn’t fair.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
I think adding TPP to a first person game is quite more difficult than the opposite. Take GTA for example, FPP in that game is simply polished viewmodel while holding weapons, driving vehicles and some specific sequences with custom animation. But think about a first person game that needs to add TPP later, you have to make sure camera behind your character's back doesn't go haywire in tight corridors, you have to create seperate scripted cutscenes for cinematic sequences (this can be bypassed by forcing FPP in those sequences I guess but the popamole crowd wouldn't take it lightly), you have to create and polish a lot of more animations for the simplest interactions. Old games don't have complex animations, BGS' games are jack of all trades where two perspectives are good at specific aspects but neither is optimal for the entire experience, so comparing them with Cyberpunk 2077 is unfair IMO.

Also, asking for TPP option is fair since I understand why a lot of people can't stand FPP for a lot of reasons, motion sickness is the prominent one. But please, let me :hahano: at the fucktards who say the game is shit because the dev's design philosophy don't allign with theirs.

Shilandra

Learned
I think adding TPP to a first person game is quite more difficult than the opposite. Take GTA for example, FPP in that game is simply polished viewmodel while holding weapons, driving vehicles and some specific sequences with custom animation. But think about a first person game that needs to add TPP later, you have to make sure camera behind your character's back doesn't go haywire in tight corridors, you have to create seperate scripted cutscenes for cinematic sequences (this can be bypassed by forcing FPP in those sequences I guess but the popamole crowd wouldn't take it lightly), you have to create and polish a lot of more animations for the simplest interactions. Old games don't have complex animations, BGS' games are jack of all trades where two perspectives are good at specific aspects but neither is optimal for the entire experience, so comparing them with Cyberpunk 2077 is unfair IMO.

Also, asking for TPP option is fair since I understand why a lot of people can't stand FPP for a lot of reasons, motion sickness is the prominent one. But please, let me :hahano: at the fucktards who say the game is shit because the dev's design philosophy don't allign with theirs.

Hmm, that is a very valid concern. Do you think their experience with the Withcher games being in TPP would help alleviate some of those difficulties since they would already have experience overcoming those problems?

And yeah, the people discounting the game as bad entirely because of the FPP don't really make sense to me either. Perspective doesn't have much to do with the objective quality of a game. They should be talking about player choice and whether or not CDPR has the time or resources to implement perspective choice in the first place. I think thats where a lot of the productive discussion can come from and would be a greater help to the devs with whatever decision they choose to make.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron

Well, yeah of course its unnecessary. So is player character customization and I can guarantee you implementing that delayed the game more than implementing a TPP camera ever could.

Im also glad you believe that FPP > TPP. Thats great! Which is why you would be able to play the entire game in FPP if the player was give the ability to choose between those perspectives. Its win-win for everyone involved considering everyone would get to play with their preferred perspective. I'm not quite sure why this is such a controversial opinion.

Simple: I really want to play this game so anything that further delays its release is an atrocity. If CDPR could implement TPP in six hours, it wouldn’t bother me, but it’s obviously more involved than that. Hence my pogrom if they listen to the complaints and invest their time in TPP. AFAIC, just about anything would be a better use of resources than putting TPP in a shooter RPG.

Frankly, I don’t give a rat’s ass about extensive visual customization either. I’m fine picking between a male model and a female model and that’s it. I like RPGs so I customize my character with stats and skill points.

Shilandra

Learned

Simple: I really want to play this game so anything that further delays its release is an atrocity. If CDPR could implement TPP in six hours, it wouldn’t bother me, but it’s obviously more involved than that. Hence my pogrom if they listen to the complaints and invest their time in TPP. AFAIC, just about anything would be a better use of resources than putting TPP in a shooter RPG.

Frankly, I don’t give a rat’s ass about extensive visual customization either. I’m fine picking between a male model and a female model and that’s it. I like RPGs so I customize my character with stats and skill points.

Okay, I understand where you're coming from and to be honest I guess I kinda agree with you. If I had to choose between them adding TPP and something like, more C&C, customization based reactivity, more dialogue choices or ways to complete quests I'd choose the latter set for them to invest their time and money in over the former every time. I can see how this whole discussion about perspectives can ultimately look like a distraction to someone who doesn't particularly care about it and wants more time spent on the actual game. Especially since this is largely a matter of preference. I guess we'll see what CDPR does in response to FPP's reception. I do hope it doesn't really negatively impact the game if they do decide to go with adding TPP but I think I would be able to live without it if the choose to forego that and move forward as they planned.

Kyl extensive customization is part of the cyberpunk setting

So is TPP I would presume ;)

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I really don't care much about the perspective being first or third person. Both works for me.

But everything I read sounds fine to me, we'll see if it will bring incline.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron

That’s nice. I love customization; I have no use for aesthetic customization, though. I know people like to spend hours messing with hairstyles and bone structure and what have you. Again, I think this stuff brings very little to the table. If the items and outfits look different, that’s plenty. I don’t really see the point of customizing your look in a single player game. There’s no one else to impress.

I’m always kind of stunned when I hear people describe the aesthetic stuff as character customization. No, customization is where you allott your attribute and skill points and pick your background and decide what augmentations to plug in.

Mustawd

I think adding TPP to a first person game is quite more difficult than the opposite.

Isn’t draw distance a concern as well? Since it seems to me tpp would need increased draw distance compared to fpp.

Also, this concern with motion sickness. Please fuck off. Really. Go fuck off.

There are ppl who have seizures when presented with colors and animations. Are you going to make games less colorful and animated because of that? Of course not. Ppl in the CDPR forums need to stop pretending anyone gives two shits about that.

Mustawd

That’s nice. I love customization; I have no use for aesthetic customization, though. I know people like to spend hours messing with hairstyles and bone structure and what have you. Again, I think this stuff brings very little to the table. If the items and outfits look different, that’s plenty. I don’t really see the point of customizing your look in a single player game. There’s no one else to impress.

It’s like that thing Telengard used to talk about:

On the other hand, such small-minded, venal, puerile individuals are really easy to market to. Because after all, it doesn't take much to keep an audience obsessed with hair, dresses, and butts happy. That is, as long as you keep those fan letters to remind you of just who they really are in their hearts, and don't try to get all fancy with things like story or tactical complexity. Stay in their safe zones, and concentrate on making overly-detailed dress textures.

And once you've done so, then come to places like the Codex and tell them how immersive is your game, how every dress and armor is shown in high detail on the character dolls. And illustrate how, even though their dolls are technically wearing helmets, the helmets won't actually show on the doll, so it won't muss their view of their dollies' pretty hair. (Though be sure that every hair style in portrait is in game, because that's like important.) Then listen to their crying about women and jews for a while, and then tell them you understand, and that's why in your new game they can be a woman with a nice rack. And in so doing get them to buy your game. Do that on a bunch of forums, and you have yourself a solid piece of a marketing campaign.

Seems CDPR fucked up and didn’t heed telengard’s marketing advice. RIP.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Again what you wear what implant you are how you have your hair.. your skin color.. are all important part of the cyberpunk setting... Is a word were style matter...

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I’m always kind of stunned when I hear people describe the aesthetic stuff as character customization. No, customization is where you allott your attribute and skill points and pick your background and decide what augmentations to plug in.
Style over substance is the first rule explicitly stated in CP2020, so it's understandable people familiar with the pnp care for aesthetic customization. To me it seems you are not quite familiar with the setting at all.

7Kwf5fp.png

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
FPP>TPP. I hope they will not listen to cancerous people, who think that see spine and ass of your character is important more than having immersive experience from point of characters view. I bet people who bitching just cancerous Witcher 3 fanbase, who expected same game, but in cyberpunk.
Style over substance is the first rule explicitly stated in CP2020, so it's understandable people familiar with the pnp care for aesthetic customization. To me it seems you are not quite familiar with the setting at all.
And to me people, who are comparing CRPG with almost 20 years old PnP, don't familiar with the fact that you can't fucking compare character creation in PnP and CRPG. It's really naive to expect computer game be 1in1 as PnP. Just stop it. Also who the fuck need rules from book to create stylish character? I thought it's common sense.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Welcome in the cyberpunk 2077 discord where if you talk and voice your concern they kick you :D
Is saurdaukar the new stanley woo?
LOL.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom