Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Alexios

Augur
Patron
I heard enemies have levels just like TW3, with ? level enemies being too high level for you. I hope the way this is executed is not as fucking awful as it was in TW3.
What was wrong with Witcher 3's monster levels?

It has been a long time since I've played it, but I remember being consistently bored by combat against super powered drowners due to level scaling, human enemies always being close to your level regardless of who they were or how competent, feeling no progression of power because everything in the entire world seems to be your level except for a few special enemies, etc. I'm not sure if it was as bad as something like Oblivion, probably not, but it was pretty damn boring.
Witcher 3 didn't have level scaling at release. They added it in a later patch - level upscaling - as a completely optional feature. Should have turned it off.

Ok, maybe I had it on for some reason. It has been a few years. I'm happy to hear the game is not as boring as I thought.
Witcher 3 still had level scaling whether the option was turned on or not. Drowners and other starting enemies became more powerful in later stages of the game and in the DLCs.

CRD

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Full voiced protagonist + character creation = either the appearance changes are limited in scope or you end up with voice that doesn't match the appearance

irl voice don't match looks, you can see tall strong people with pitch voices, so, they will just add a generic mid tone voice and call it a day, will fit everyone.

Sentinel

Arcane
I heard enemies have levels just like TW3, with ? level enemies being too high level for you. I hope the way this is executed is not as fucking awful as it was in TW3.

It has been a long time since I've played it, but I remember being consistently bored by combat against super powered drowners due to level scaling, human enemies always being close to your level regardless of who they were or how competent, feeling no progression of power because everything in the entire world seems to be your level except for a few special enemies, etc. I'm not sure if it was as bad as something like Oblivion, probably not, but it was pretty damn boring.
Witcher 3 didn't have level scaling at release. They added it in a later patch - level upscaling - as a completely optional feature. Should have turned it off.

Ok, maybe I had it on for some reason. It has been a few years. I'm happy to hear the game is not as boring as I thought.
Witcher 3 still had level scaling whether the option was turned on or not. Drowners and other starting enemies became more powerful in later stages of the game and in the DLCs.
They didn't. The DLCs are an entirely different matter because they're different areas. Don't think you even fight enemies from the vanilla game in the DLCs. nvm I remember the drowners in the sewer just before the prince

Gerrard

Arcane
Full voiced protagonist + character creation = either the appearance changes are limited in scope or you end up with voice that doesn't match the appearance

irl voice don't match looks, you can see tall strong people with pitch voices, so, they will just add a generic mid tone voice and call it a day, will fit everyone.
And you end up with a black guy who sounds like the whitest guy you know. It's not just the pitch or timbre that matters.

Last edited:
Nobody here's mentioning anything about how they're basically making RPG in a GTA size environment... Did any RPG before this try making world even close to this scale? I don't mean a dozen of medieval cities with a huge sea of emptiness between them. I don't think so. I'm a bit skeptical on how this works out. Open world RPG in a huge city like this. Wow.

If you take the Bioware doctors word on GTA San Andreas being a RPG, GTA San Andreas did. I don't, but whatever. Then again the only CD Projekt Red game I've played all of is Witcher 2, and I wouldn't call that an RPG either...more like a adventure game with combat.

I'm wondering how many places you'll be able to go into. Usually being able to enter all the buildings is something RPGs (whether or not they're actually RPG) let you do, but you're dealing smaller buildings in them; this is the total opposite of games like GTA or Assassion's Creed with their much larger cities and building.

Dexter

Arcane
  • Game is FPS perspective
  • FPS perspective made to feel more personal
There goes that GTA audience.
  • Choice and consequence is HUGE. Emphasized that the game is an RPG first and foremost
  • Story is personalized by player choice.
"We will have dialogue choices."
  • V's personality is shaped by player. Backstory and interactions shape V's personality.
"We have a Renegade/Paragon or Karma system."
  • Vehicles - Motorcycles, Cars, hinted at flying cars.
  • Witcher was horizontally huge, Cyberpunk is vertically huge.
  • You can enter buildings, Mega Buildings exist as well with multiple floors and multiple areas to explore within a single building.
Vertical gameplay and flying cars confirmed.

I dunno. This thing kinda went down the shitter for me. A glorified Watchdogs-nuDeus Ex hybrid....
Called it:
I'm expecting a Mix between Deus Ex: Human Revolution (likely with Stats/Perk-based shooting mechanics) and Witcher 3 with Added Vertical Elements/Gameplay (they were constantly talking about implementing flying cars early on like they were obsessed with it, so I'm expecting something like this, at the very least for quicktravel)
This seems to be some bizarre trend on the board, clearly knowing what a game is going to be, then complaining years later that it isn't an isometric turn-based Tactical RPG or that you can't pick up every object or something, I've noticed the same phenomenon in the Cyberpunk 2077 thread with people noting on Page 1 that it'll most likely be a Cinematic Witcher with guns, yet years later showing indignation that it'll not be the thematic sequel to Fallout 2 or Jagged Alliance 2.

Also lol @ the people still thinking they'll show Gameplay at E3 or it'll release before 2020 with a big Paycheck from the big platform-holders to push people into buying their Next-Gen consoles to play "Cyberpunk 2077".
I hope they don't dare to pull off this shit and then don't show the gameplay.
No gameplay again. :|
I really doubt we're going to see gameplay any time soon. I'm strongly suspecting that Cyberpunk 2077, along with The Elder Scrolls VI and Starfield are going to be "Next-Gen" games, so likely 2020 along with the Launch of the new consoles as incentives to buy them, with a toned-down version for the current generation of consoles. I doubt they even locked down gameplay to the necessary degree that they could point out in-depth how all the systems will work in the final game at this point, and reception they're getting this E3 might have an influence on how it develops.
the sense of entitlement of gamers
Are you surprised at gamer entitlement?
Did you guys escape IGN or something?

KK1001

Arbiter
Not saying gamer entitlement is good or bad. People want things and don't like when things aren't that. That's the entire basis of the Codex for fuck's sake. I'm just trying to explain why gamer (and consumer) entitlement exists and why people get so worked up. It's one of the few areas ordinary people have any power. Anyone who's worked in retail understands a consumer scorned. Sometimes it's justified; sometimes it isn't. God knows why anyone would want to play a third person shooter in an urban environment, but that's just me.

Cyberpunk 2077 probably has a budget upwards of 100 million dollars. No one with half a brain here was expecting it to be hardcore. It's a AAA game adapted in an era where games (but especially AAA games) are trying to be everything but games, to be taken seriously as "art" when the art was always there in the mechanics, the fun, the play. If you go in with low expectations, that this will be popamole, maybe you won't be disappointed.

Yosharian

Arcane
Enemy level markers feels immersion-breaking to me. I just think it's lazy design, hence why it originated in MMOs.

If I see a beholder in BG2, I don't shit my pants based on the little number above it's head, I shit my pants because it's a fucking beholder.

If, as a developer, your first thought when attempting to communicate an enemy's overpowering strength to the player, is 'slap a level number on it and call it a day lads', then I question your creativity.

I'm not even against strength 'markers' per se, I just hate seeing a fucking number floating on top of an enemy's head. Anything is preferable to that.

Maybe I'm just too old for this shit.

Perkel

Arcane

It had something much more wrong than level scaling.
Every enemy in range of 10 levels was normal but everything outside of that had multiplier malus or bonus.

So if you were lvl 10 and you fought lvl 19 enemy then you could kill them. If enemy was lvl 20+ he would get his health and damage MULTIPLIED. Remember that you can't equip higher level gear because it has level restiction (and you can't find it since every loot is scaled to your level) so you either way wouldn't have chance to properly fight high level monster. So this step is extra "fuck you" for no reason.

Now this was retarded but what if i told you that same exact thing happened to lower than 10lvl enemies ? Yes those weak enemies you could kill easily had then DIVIDED multiple times health and attack power which made already weak enemies into total one hit kill trash.

How fucking retarded you need to be to come up with such system.

Beowulf

Arcane

They didn't. The DLCs are an entirely different matter because they're different areas. Don't think you even fight enemies from the vanilla game in the DLCs. nvm I remember the drowners in the sewer just before the prince

Guys, I think it just means that the big artificial resistances are back.
As far as I remember, if the monster had level = your lvl + 6; it flashed a big red skull over it, and got some crazy resistances (300%) and damage bonuses.
It was killable, but with something like 5-10 minutes of perfect dodge-dancing around it, making difficult, but also incredibly tedious. Mods fixed it, thankfully.

I guess it's coming back.

And yeah, I assume that some other mechanics are also coming back, and I can't imagine them not using a lot of markers, like in W3.

Solfear

Novice
Yosharian I don't think the level markers on PNJ will be there from the beginning. From what I understood, they should be there if you buy a special implant.

Cyberpunk 2077 probably has a budget upwards of 100 million dollars. No one with half a brain here was expecting it to be hardcore. It's a AAA game adapted in an era where games (but especially AAA games) are trying to be everything but games, to be taken seriously as "art" when the art was always there in the mechanics, the fun, the play. If you go in with low expectations, that this will be popamole, maybe you won't be disappointed.

More importantly, it's supposed to be their Mass Effect.

moon knight

Matt7895's alt

And you end up with a black guy who sounds like the whitest guy you know. It's not just the pitch or timbre that matters.

I doubt you can play as a black guy. The SJW reaction is going to be legendary.

Venser

Erudite
Sticking to first person makes me wonder if they're thinking about implementing VR since it would very much be in the spirit of cyberpunk.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Sticking to first person makes me wonder if they're thinking about implementing VR since it would very much be in the spirit of cyberpunk.

I certainly wouldnt mind it, though the tech probably needs like 5 years to be able to render the game fluidly in double fhd 90 fps if the game looks anything like the trailer.

EverlastingLove

Learned
When you see numbers pop up on screen, you KNOW there are deep RPG systems at work there.
Like Witcher 2/3.

Or Pillars of Eternity / Deadfire.

Or... the IE games?
:troll:

Anyway, no gameplay yet, right?

or Bloodlines :obviously:

or KOTOR :negative:

Anyway floating numers doesn't mean shit, we don't even know if it is integrated somehow to the gameworld or even how does it look like in the game.

I wonder why they even bothered to tell us about it in the first place, it's not a very important piece of information, we don't know for example how the ui looks like or how many skills there are. Did they anticipated a backlash of some sort, if so then why do it in the first place?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Is it old news yet that CP2077 gameplay will be shown at gamescom, 21-25 August? : http://www.gamescom.global/exhibito...012739675&values={"stichwort":"","start":140}

OGtr0GafhMhi35zTVGLLzzSNbqn00XrIJJ0jp9rSss4.png

Perkel

Arcane

Yup i think the same.
Cut-scenes also are not a problem despite several idiotic claims.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom