Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

a cut of domestic sheep prime

It’s bullshit. I don’t buy any of this. Motion sickness my balls.
I get motion sick from some 3rd person games, or any game with motion blur.

Getting sick from ALL FPS games is a bit ridiculous though.

Mustawd

Like the game, you lack empathy.

No I don’t. I had a relative who suffered from a visual disability. We learned a lot over the years about eye focus, acuity and how movement affects what a person can see or not.

Just like bad and shaky fpp can indeed be a bit disorienting, so can the same be said about tpp.

Going to tpp does not fix any problems. It’s bullshit. These people are liars and it is, quite frankly, disgusting.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I had motion sickness from Half Life 1 backt then only, if I play more than 1 hour I started to puke, get dizzy and felt sick.
but that never stopped me and I finished the game in 3 days :D
After playing HL1 and mods a lot of time, I kinda forgot my motion sickness. Though it came back with a blood vengeance when I first tried VR googles... Never again.

Nowadays I just adjust FoV to my liking and never have problems with it.

abija

Prophet
I suspect it will be cross-gen so late 2019/early 2020 is my guess, considering MS is already working on the next Xbox.
I doubt that next console matters much, it will be targeted at ps 4 pro and if lucky the next xbox will be able to run it 4k@30fps.

Going to tpp does not fix any problems. It’s bullshit. These people are liars and it is, quite frankly, disgusting.

At the very least, it increases fov and usually lowers a lot the "realistic" camera movement that they abuse so much in fp. Some retard tried to mimic the footage you would get if you attached a camera to your head while moving thinking that's realistic then the sheep copied the idea or exacerbated the effects.

Last edited:

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Like the game, you lack empathy.

No I don’t. I had a relative who suffered from a visual disability. We learned a lot over the years about eye focus, acuity and how movement affects what a person can see or not.

Just like bad and shaky fpp can indeed be a bit disorienting, so can the same be said about tpp.

I'll rediagnose: You lack sense of humor.

Mustawd

Sorry. That whole thread pissed me off. I remember watching my relative get nauseous trying to read in a moving car. She also tried playing a variety of video games with only a few being playable. A few of those were tpp and a few were fpp. We’re talking a handfull. Most of them older as the amounts of things to focus on were less as well as the movement was slower.

In the end, she ended up being a boardgame nut anyways.

The fact that these retards were lyng about muh motion sickness just cuz they wanna pressure CDPR to put in tpp was infuriating.

Quillon

Arcane
I had motion sickness from Half Life 1 backt then only, if I play more than 1 hour I started to puke, get dizzy and felt sick.
but that never stopped me and I finished the game in 3 days :D
After playing HL1 and mods a lot of time, I kinda forgot my motion sickness. Though it came back with a blood vengeance when I first tried VR googles... Never again.

Nowadays I just adjust FoV to my liking and never have problems with it.

I had that with HL2, the only game I had this problem with :M

Looting Crow

Novice
https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news..._help_your_team_prevent_offensive_moments.php

Since depicting any modern urban environment means making a more diverse cast across ethnic and gender lines, we wanted to quickly check in with CD Projekt Red about how they were handling depictions of those characters.

As part of that accountability process, Mills says that CD Projekt Red absolutely wants players and developers to let them know if they see the dev team slipping up. Overall, it's fascinating to see a developer team reckon with the setting they've selected for their game, and acknowledge it may be worth trying to dampen instances of racism, sexism, or other prejudices & bigotry that could arise from that setting.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Tbh, Satellite Reign's, 'almost fixed', isometric camera is pretty bad, as it wavers between slightly different viewpoints. It's so far the only game that has ever made me feel physically uneasy. But the camera feature can be disabled, I just learned.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Read Ian McDonald's "River of Gods" set in futuristic India. It's probably the best cyberpunk ever written (better than anything Gibson has created) and it has a very different vibe.
Thanks for the wink, will need to read. Somehow I got a shitty vibe about the setting though.

Not a fan of India? I've been there so it connected with me immediately. Everything is subjective tho. But again, it's not much of a punk and the cyber part is mainly about AIs. That said it's an awesome novel.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
Read Ian McDonald's "River of Gods" set in futuristic India. It's probably the best cyberpunk ever written (better than anything Gibson has created) and it has a very different vibe.
Thanks for the wink, will need to read. Somehow I got a shitty vibe about the setting though.

Not a fan of India? I've been there so it connected with me immediately. Everything is subjective tho. But again, it's not much of a punk and the cyber part is mainly about AIs. That said it's an awesome novel.
Nah, it was just the street poo meme, tbqh.

Latelistener

Arcane
They showed journalists an hour of gameplay. And replacing a bunch of senior people is not rebooting the project. Deciding what you have is junk and starting over nearly from scratch is a reboot. Whatever they have is playable FFS.
Not senior. They were hiring a bunch of leads at the end of 2017 (a producer and gameplay and level designers). I checked their site when the rumor about problems appeared.
That rumor also said that after the reboot the game will feature only one character, and it is now confirmed.

Moink

Cipher
All I'm thinking is - who is fatter, Pondsmith or Vargas.

A NEW CHALLENGER APPROACHES

DfniP9cXcAAZyk4.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-it-went-with-first-person-for-cyberpunk-2077

CD Projekt explains why it went with first-person for Cyberpunk 2077

At E3, CD Projekt pulled the curtain back on Cyberpunk 2077, its upcoming sci-fi open world game. As it did, one major revelation emerged: Cyberpunk is a first-person role-playing game.

Not everyone, it seems, is thrilled at the news. The Witcher 3, CD Projekt's previous game, was of course a third-person adventure. The switch to first-person for Cyberpunk 2077 means the game is in part a first-person shooter, and it's this realisation that seems to have worried some fans of the studio's games.

So, why did CD Projekt go with first-person for Cyberpunk 2077? Quest designer Patrick Mills told me there were a few reasons for it. First up, the developers wanted the player to feel like they were in the body of the character they control.

In Cyberpunk 2077 you play V, a mercenary who is making their way through Night City on the hunt for the big time. However, you can create your own version of V - male or female - and customise everything from how they look to their backstory. Your version of V can become a Netrunner, Techie or a Solo - or a mix of all of them.

"With Witcher 3, you're playing Geralt and you're watching Geralt. You're controlling Geralt. He's a character, right? He's somebody who already exists," Mills said.

"In this game we wanted to put you in the shoes and in the body of the character you're controlling, so you feel like this is your character. First-person was one way to do that."

Secondly, the developers felt that a first-person perspective offered a greater sense of immersion. At one point in the gameplay demo, I saw V emerge from a mega building into the City Center, and the jaw-dropping scale and detail of the world hit me as the CD Projekt member of staff moved the camera to soak everything in. It's this possibility for kind of effect that meant a move to first-person make sense for the developers.

"Additionally, you have a greater immersion," Mills said. "And we can do some environmental stuff from first-person that you wouldn't be able to do in third-person. If nothing else, I think it's going to be really cool when you're walking around the city and you look up, which is something that in third-person doesn't really feel right. To really experience that verticality you need a first-person perspective."

Whatever your opinion on Cyberpunk's camera perspective, there's a lot more to the game's combat than first-person shooting. While we did indeed see a lot of FPS action during our 50 minute gameplay demo at E3 this week, there's a lot of variety to the combat. With the twin blades seen in the game's debut trailer, there's the possibility for melee fighting. You can also disable enemies by hacking into their dead friends and infecting them with a virus.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-art-behind-the-cyberpunk-2077-reveal-trailer

The concept art behind the Cyberpunk 2077 reveal trailer

It's all very well Wesley painting an ever-so-exciting picture of Cyberpunk 2077 after seeing nearly an hour of the game at E3 2018, but we - everyone watching from afar - haven't seen it, have we? I mean we're not jealous but it's really unfair.

All we've seen is the Cyberpunk 2077 reveal trailer which, OK, yes, does do a rather magnificent job of selling us on the character and riches of the Night City playground we'll lose ourselves in - you could even argue it's the city which will be the main character in CD Projekt Red's new game.

But before there was a trailer - awaited with something approaching Grand Theft Auto-like anticipation - there was of course concept art, and now CD Projekt Red has shared a smattering of images of it.

jpg

jpg

jpg

jpg

jpg

This isn't normally the sort of thing I'd write about, but not only are the images gorgeous in their own right, and not only is it fun putting them side by side with their associated moments in the trailer, but we've seen so little for so long I'm feasting where I can. And it goes some way to itching an urge to see more - either that or I've simply made it worse.

Cyberpunk 2077 is in development for PC, PS4 and Xbox One "at the moment" (CDPR told Wesley) and was given no release date at E3. "When it's done," is the message for now.

Last edited:

odrzut

Arcane
They're further along in development that most people probably thought. A 2019 release date is possible but 2020 is probably too thematic to pass up right?

2020/7/7 is too good date not to be the release day.

2020 and 2077 in the date.

passerby

Arcane
Unfortunately, July is the worst month to release an AAA game on, so it's not going to happen.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
First up, the developers wanted the player to feel like they were in the body of the character they control.

Only if we are all actually wearing cardboard boxes on our heads with the front cut out.
Same goes for majestically looking up to see any verticallity.

Its all PR bullshit. They did it to get the first person shooters crowd and thats the only fucking reason.
There are no benefits to the FP pov of any kind - except to increase the sense of "ACTION IN YOU FACE!!!" which is specific first person shooters territory.
It only increases any sense of immersion to people who already prefer that pov and have gotten used to it. To all others it decreses the "sense of immersion" which is only achieved by great design - not by fucking POV.
Unless you are a twobit cretin.

The pov also means that the player influence on the mechanics and gameplay will be increased at the expense of character abilities or skills influence.
Which goes along with the rest of the presented material, like no speech skills to avoid "gating stuff" you see, because skills and abilities close stuff from the player - BUT ITS AN RPG!!!

Its an action RPG shooter.

Which will probably have a lot of (meaning more then W3) C&C differentiated by player choices, while any skills and abilities will provide small or cosmetic differences - just like in W3.
It will be done in specific way where it only gives bonuses to the player. Like the grip that gives you more damage, ricochet bullets that let you shoot off the walls and behind cover (can enemies do that?), or tech shotguns that shoot through cover (can enemies do that?) - which is all the usual stuff for action-RPGs and shooter hybrids.

None of that means it will be automatically bad, but it would be nice to remove all that idiotic PR lying and shit you all seem to be gobbling up so happily.
And just call a spade a spade.

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
W3's behind closed doors E3 was in 2013 which got a very similar response from media and game released in 2015, now they have more people on a more ambitious project, don't expect anything earlier than 2020 release. Let's hope Adam Badowski rumors were exaggerated :P

W3 was set to release in 2014, it got delayed 2 times.

odrzut

Arcane
They would have to be really stupid to try and make a shooter. They (and everybody else) know they can't make a game with good gameplay. They are only good at storytelling and characters.

Also - singleplayer-only shooter? We're not in the 90s.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom