Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 76 - online Fallout spinoff from Bethesda - now on Steam with Wastelanders NPC expansion

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Didn't know that there are that many mmo fans here,this thread is unnaturally active.
Is it MMO tho? It sounds more like Dungeon crawler with open world. It's literally Hack&Slah from First Person. Only thing you will do in this game is Leveling, exploring and gathering better items.
Story will be practically non-existence, there's noone to talk to, there are only randomly generated quest.
Even Diablo 2 was more RPG than this.

It's not an MMO

The closest to other type of games this is, is Rust/Ark, but Fallout 76 will also have quests and PvE content which you can solo like in a normal singleplayer game.

So if someone wants to know what Fallout 76 will be, go play Rust and add to that PvE content which Rust doesn't have

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Fallout 76 will also have quests
It won't. If anything it will have randomly generated or kill X and gather X, except some "Overseer" ones like go here and there. There won't be real ones. It's not possible without NPCs. Who would give it to you?

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Fallout 76 will also have quests
It won't. If anything it will have randomly generated or kill X and gather X, except some "Overseer" ones like go here and there. There won't be real ones. It's not possible without NPCs. Who would give it to you?

It's already confirmed that quests are handed via terminals,robots, scrolls and items found in the world. While exploring the world, you will find something that will start a quest.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
While exploring the world, you will find something that will start a quest.
And how do you think that quest will work like? You found a map, find treasure. You found location, go to the end and find out what happened here. One place is full of ghouls or mutated animals, go clear it. You found recipe for a powerful weapon, gather materials and craft it. It will be worse than DA:Inqustion.
Only quiet things, without any dialogue or NPCs. You must be really desperate to call those things "quests".
This game doesn't have quests, period. I am also pretty sure that the game won't have any choices to make, except if you want more damage or more fire rate on weapon. Where would you make them?

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
While exploring the world, you will find something that will start a quest.
And how do you think that quest will work like? You found a map, find treasure. You found location, go to the end and find out what happened here. One place is full of ghouls or mutated animals, go clear it. You found recipe for a powerful weapon, gather materials and craft it. It will be worse than DA:Inqustion.
Only quiet things, without any dialogue or NPCs. You must be really desperate to call those things "quests".
This game doesn't have quests, period. I am also pretty sure that the game won't have any choices to make, except if you want more damage or more fire rate on weapon. Where would you make them?

There won't be dialogue, but the story can be presented in written way, ever heard of books ?

Ivory Samoan

Liturgist
OK so I have 2 in my Slavers Guild, we roam West Virginny in search of fresh meat: who's keen to join my hunting party?

We also do a bit of PvP, and the odd bit of DeathClaw baiting.

Squid

Arbiter
We wouldn't even been here discussing this game if it were some random IP about the apocalypse. It's not a Fallout game, it's just Fallout branded. If you don't want an online Rust/Borderlands/ARK/Destiny with shared perks in teams, don't play it. It's not trying to be the Fallout games we want, it's trying to be an online service. If you're down for a game like that, go for it, I see nothing wrong about it but I also understand why people are upset it's a live service that is called Fallout. I think the game looks like it could potentially be fun but nothing that we will remember for years to come, essentially another middle shelf, brick in the wall of online survival games.

Also, so much for that #SavePlayer1. Like someone else said, it's funny when you own the IP for Fallout and Doom and Doom is the singleplayer attraction and Fallout is the multiplayer attraction.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Didn't know that there are that many mmo fans here,this thread is unnaturally active.
Is it MMO tho? It sounds more like Dungeon crawler with open world. It's literally Hack&Slah from First Person. Only thing you will do in this game is Leveling, exploring and gathering better items.
Story will be practically non-existence, there's noone to talk to, there are only randomly generated quest.
Even Diablo 2 was more RPG than this.
It is multi,it have 76 players therefore is a mass, and finally it is online only. It will be retarded shit no way around it. Wouldn't be surprised if it fail.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
We wouldn't even been here discussing this game if it were some random IP about the apocalypse.

We would, there is a Ark and Rust thread, but they never went big becuase both of those titles are made by an unknown company in early access for over 5 years.

Squid

Arbiter
We would, there is a Ark and Rust thread, but they never went big becuase both of those titles are made by an unknown company in early access for over 5 years.
I haven't looked for it in the General RPG discussion but that's where I meant. We wouldn't be talking about it in the RPG section of the forums. I mean I'm new here, maybe we would? But it seems to me it's only because of the brand that's it in this specific area.

Cael

Arcane
Is that the one where you shoot one at maximum range with a hunting rifle and then hightail it back to the newbie area with a whole Deathclaw family in hot pursuit?
That's the one, right smack bang in the newb dwellers area: for them to feast on.
Reminds me of my old MUD days where some twerp would bait one of the toughest monsters in the game into the starting town area. Since it is a monster that requires an entire party of ultra-high levels workng together to shut down its special attacks or die horribly, it was a massacre of just about everyone who either can't teleport or has his home town set to the starting town (which is the usual one as it is the most centrally located). It was a very real case of near complete server wipe as respawns would just put you right in the mob's path, not to mention the XP loss from the deaths would be epic. That one mob was the main reason my home town was always set somewhere else.

Squid

Arbiter
Is that the one where you shoot one at maximum range with a hunting rifle and then hightail it back to the newbie area with a whole Deathclaw family in hot pursuit?
That's the one, right smack bang in the newb dwellers area: for them to feast on.
Reminds me of my old MUD days where some twerp would bait one of the toughest monsters in the game into the starting town area. Since it is a monster that requires an entire party of ultra-high levels workng together to shut down its special attacks or die horribly, it was a massacre of just about everyone who either can't teleport or has his home town set to the starting town (which is the usual one as it is the most centrally located). It was a very real case of near complete server wipe as respawns would just put you right in the mob's path, not to mention the XP loss from the deaths would be epic. That one mob was the main reason my home town was always set somewhere else.

Holy shit dude lol

a45.png

Cael

Arcane

Holy shit dude lol

a45.png
Yeah, that mob became such a problem because the maker gave it the tracking skill, which allowed it to follow the player who hit it over long distances, and made it aggressive, which meant it attacked anyone and everyone in the same room as it.

It was a pretty good MUD as the mob AI was pretty good. The mobs remembered who attacked it, for example, and if it sees you again later, even if you are just travelling through the region, it will attack straight away. That gets erased if someone else kills it and it respawns, which is another sign of the maturity of the mob AI.

One newbie mistake was to set an auto-flee for when your HP fell below a certain level. You fled, but then the mob could still see you (as you were only 1 room away, and line of sight is up to 2 rooms), so it followed and attacked (or backstabbed, if it had the skill). If you survived that, you autoflee and guess what happens next? :D

It is telling that modern AI isn't actually even on par with that MUD's AI.

Last edited:

Jarmaro

Liturgist
There won't be dialogue, but the story can be presented in written way, ever heard of books ?
Wait, what does it have to what I said about quests? Presenting story isn't quest, it's presenting story. Or maybe you think reading a book is a quest itself :D
You can't have normal, RPG-like, meaningful quests without dialog or something that's functioning as dialog.
You can have locations that tell story without any dialog, like famous Vault 11 from New Vegas or some vaults from Fallout 4 I heard of. Yes, this is good and interesting way of telling a story, but these are not quests. It's something that can enrich quests and game by this, but it cannot replace quests. These things are supposed to work together, not be interchangeable.

Squid

Arbiter
It is telling that modern AI isn't actually even on par with that MUD's AI.
That sounds pretty cool though. And I'd imagine that AI that's more text based would be better than something has to perform 3D actions but I'm not a big programmer, I wouldn't know.

Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy
Fallout was killed by Bethesda long time ago, at moment when Bethesda decided to pay for the rights .
Bethesda is able to do mediocre crpgs at their best [yes, Morrowind included] , and great modding platforms with almost none to zero memorable crpg values.
Let's be honest, they are not the ones, who can handle modern world, or post apo crpgs.
As i JUST like their Elder Scrolls series, [we should notice large lore department there and.... thats all ] , i can't stand "emptiness" of worlds created by Bethesda.

They made action games since Arena with almost generic and very straight forward - corridor like story mechanics , poooooor side quests, and none to zero choice & consequence values.
Be honest and say how many bethesda crpgs you have finished while using NO mods or finished at all.

Bethesda is great at giving hope and in some strange way pumping hope but after realease they rape our expectations.
Their games are fine but no longer than first 10 hours. After that you are starting lying to yourself or just 'IMAGINE' a game you want to play.
It's all about exploring sadly. Nothing more. Im sorry Bethesda but for now You are only empty sculpture for me.
And this… Fallout 76 , well… what the fuck is this ?!!!! F U C K Y O U BETHESDA.
I value my free time too much to spend any amount of it to play shit like this.

You can say Morrowind was okay, Oblivion have some fun value, Daggerfall was creative , etc. BUT , these games were empty as holy fuck.
If You want to play walkin sim with some crpg like features go for it.
But not playing them at all you lose nothing important. And it's sad.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom