Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
There are no benefits to the FP pov of any kind. It only increases any sense of immersion to people who already prefer that pov and have gotten used to it. To all others it decreses the "sense of immersion" which is only achieved by great design - not by fucking POV.

Gotta say, I've always thought the "1st person increases immershuh" line is a load of BS too. I said it's BS when Warhorse used it to justify Kindgom Come being FP-only and I say it now.

There's no decrease of immershun - or gunplay fun - in TP games like Human Revolution whatsoever.

That said I don't mind FP at all, I just think the immershun argument is retarded.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
All I'm thinking is - who is fatter, Pondsmith or Vargas.

A NEW CHALLENGER APPROACHES

DfniP9cXcAAZyk4.jpg
Now he will be able to use diapers instead of shit sack. Does he have any different shirt?

Perkel

Arcane
They're further along in development that most people probably thought. A 2019 release date is possible but 2020 is probably too thematic to pass up right?

2020/7/7 is too good date not to be the release day.

2020 and 2077 in the date.

I 100% sure they will be targeting holidays 2020. With TW3 they kind of didn't have legit standing to compete for that spot but after TW3 they are one of the big boys and they do have chance to compete in that season. As long as it won't slip it should be release holidays 2020.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The story of the main character casually accepting to have her eyeball swapped reminded me of how I had surgery on my eyelids with only local anesthetic.

Had stitches removed from my eye ball without local once, odd experience.
You probably mean eyelid? Mine were removed without local too. The sound of cutting the eyelid during the operation was creepy though. You are lying down and you suddenly feel something cool on your eyelid and the sound of cloth being cut, and then you feel like a tear is sliding down your head, but you know it's actually blood :)

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
The way you design enemy encounters and how they are handled by the player can differ in certain ways depending on whether you design for FP vs third person. An ambush of melee characters (which Cyberpunk will have, it's not only shooting) from behind is more of a surprise in FP than in third person where you can see it coming once they reach the area covered by the camera and react to it faster. Same goes for dodging slower projectile weapon stuff, which you can react to in third person even when it doesn't come from your character field of view. Same for enemies coming from corners. In Dark Souls this stuff typically only gets you about the first time you play these games, then you start getting into the habit of turning the camera and looking at what's there without your character entering enemy aggro range.

I thus disagree that FP vs third person is merely an aesthetic choice. It's also a gameplay choice. If they really intend to design the game for first person providing a toggle would affect some of the gameplay.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

The resolution is still too low to even compete with the human eye, but it's already progressed fast enough that it can hugely improve the quality of life of a blind man.

Yeah, artificial senses and limbs are getting closer to the ideal of being able to live as cyborgs one day.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
They're further along in development that most people probably thought. A 2019 release date is possible but 2020 is probably too thematic to pass up right?

They seem well beyond the point of being able to change things, or go back and scrap major segments of the game. "Major milestone" to me implies full-steam-ahead production.
In the slip-up in the very first E3 interview, where the guy "almost said it", I think he meant "year". It's at 1:12:30 :

Last edited by a moderator:

Moink

Cipher
The story of the main character casually accepting to have her eyeball swapped reminded me of how I had surgery on my eyelids with only local anesthetic.

Had stitches removed from my eye ball without local once, odd experience.
You probably mean eyelid? Mine were removed without local too. The sound of cutting the eyelid during the operation was creepy though. You are lying down and you suddenly feel something cool on your eyelid and the sound of cloth being cut, and then you feel like a tear is sliding down your head, but you know it's actually blood :)

Nah eyeball, had my cornea replaced a few years back and some of the stitching came loose so they removed it in the consulting room, which was something I regretted agreeing to nearly instantly, had the rest of them removed with local though, fuck going through that shit again.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Kotaku podcast interview with Patrick Mills "E3 2018: Designing Quests For Cyberpunk 2077": https://player.fm/series/kotaku-splitscreen/e3-2018-designing-quests-for-cyberpunk-2077

Still at E3 in Los Angeles, Jason sat down with CD Projekt Red quest designer Patrick Mills to talk about his work on the studio's impressive-looking RPG Cyberpunk 2077. Kirk, meanwhile, sat at home in Portland mixing and editing podcasts while wishing, ever so faintly, that he'd gotten to see the the game's press demo.

Direct MP3: https://traffic.megaphone.fm/PPY9292042093.mp3

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
There are no benefits to the FP pov of any kind. It only increases any sense of immersion to people who already prefer that pov and have gotten used to it. To all others it decreses the "sense of immersion" which is only achieved by great design - not by fucking POV.

Gotta say, I've always thought the "1st person increases immershuh" line is a load of BS too. I said it's BS when Warhorse used it to justify Kindgom Come being FP-only and I say it now.
There's no decrease of immershun - or gunplay fun - in TP games like Human Revolution whatsoever.
That said I don't mind FP at all, I just think the immershun argument is retarded.

Its a pr schtick meant to influence idiots who upon hearing it have subconscious reactions about how "awesome the game will be" because they will be "so immersed in it".
And its a schtick meant to attract shooter crowds. Because how ever many millions W3 sold is not enough.

As you said there, there are several examples of TP pov games where shooting works just fine.
What im saying isnt coming out of "fp is bad" angle, as i play and relatively like many of shooters, but from the angle of being fed up with moronic PR bullshit and distortion.

The way you design enemy encounters and how they are handled by the player can differ in certain ways depending on whether you design for FP vs third person. An ambush of melee characters (which Cyberpunk will have, it's not only shooting) from behind is more of a surprise in FP than in third person where you can see it coming once they reach the area covered by the camera and react to it faster. Same goes for dodging slower projectile weapon stuff, which you can react to in third person even when it doesn't come from your character field of view. Same for enemies coming from corners. In Dark Souls this stuff typically only gets you about the first time you play these games, then you start getting into the habit of turning the camera and looking at what's there without your character entering enemy aggro range.

I thus disagree that FP vs third person is merely an aesthetic choice. It's also a gameplay choice. If they really intend to design the game for first person providing a toggle would affect some of the gameplay.

Only if your gameplay design is dumb and lousy.

An ambush of melee characters (which Cyberpunk will have, it's not only shooting) from behind is more of a surprise in FP than in third person where you can see it coming once they reach the area covered by the camera and react to it faster.
Yeah really? Because such an ambush must happen in open space and the assailant has to do it slowly enough?
While having your head in a box with front opened is somehow more realistic, or better, is it? Because thats how you ambush people, you wait for them to put the box on their heads and then you can sneak up to them.
While avoiding any ranged weapons or hacking tricks or anything else available in a cyberpunk game. And it has to be a single assailant - from the back!
Just to prove how box on the head is superior to something.

Same goes for dodging slower projectile weapon stuff, which you can react to in third person even when it doesn't come from your character field of view. Same for enemies coming from corners. In Dark Souls this stuff typically only gets you about the first time you play these games, then you start getting into the habit of turning the camera and looking at what's there without your character entering enemy aggro range.

Great examples you make there. The ... slower projectile weapons... ffs...

As for seeing enemies around corners by moving the camera around, well... fortunately in TRUE RPG GAMES there are character abilities and skills that can be used to prevent that and limit what you can see.
Even in a shooter-RPG hybrid like this, in TP you can limit what is shown by revealing only stuff that is in the vision cone of the character.
Not that FP games are magically free from multitude of similar exploits and cheese tricks, while the constrained pov requires a lot of "adjustments" for any melee combat.

Instead of trying to invent these bullshit nonsense excuses, you can just say playing such a action-rpg in FP is fine by you.
You prefer it, you like it. Thats it.

Else you might wanna tell me how many times you got stabbed in the back and killed outright without even seeing what hit you in those awesome ambushes in FP games.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

The resolution is still too low to even compete with the human eye, but it's already progressed fast enough that it can hugely improve the quality of life of a blind man.

Yeah, artificial senses and limbs are getting closer to the ideal of being able to live as cyborgs one day.

Nice to see SCIENCE kicking God's ass :salute:

There's also those Enchroma glasses for the color blind, and hearing implants that let deaf people hear for the first time in the lives.

Ivory Samoan

Liturgist
Shooting works better in FPP, and for that, I'm glad Marcin et al have gone in this direction.

Sucks for those that get sick with this POV, but the game had to choose (I actually hate off centre camera view in TPP myself).

Sentinel

Arcane
https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news..._help_your_team_prevent_offensive_moments.php

Since depicting any modern urban environment means making a more diverse cast across ethnic and gender lines, we wanted to quickly check in with CD Projekt Red about how they were handling depictions of those characters.

As part of that accountability process, Mills says that CD Projekt Red absolutely wants players and developers to let them know if they see the dev team slipping up. Overall, it's fascinating to see a developer team reckon with the setting they've selected for their game, and acknowledge it may be worth trying to dampen instances of racism, sexism, or other prejudices & bigotry that could arise from that setting.
lol. there it goes, americans doing their retarded shit.

conan_edw

Arbiter
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
I believe that if you are designing your game to be first/third perspective then you will have to prioritize the design around one of them and since you have stuff like wall running and dashing and sliding and even their new dynamic dialogue system, that's clearly a fucking fpp I mean adding 3rd perspective will just make everything thing look wanky like using the tpp in nuFallouts and 3D Elder scrolls I can't really think of a good example that has them both. GTA only comes to mind but it only consists of shooting and basic moves which make it easier to implement. Hell even Overwatch which has some superb animations look kind of weird when you spectate and see everything in 3rd person since it's designed around being fpp. I believe they wanted to make the tpp works and feels like the fpp but it didn't really work and maybe took them a lot of time so it was just scrapped

Last edited:

Moink

Cipher
https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news..._help_your_team_prevent_offensive_moments.php

Since depicting any modern urban environment means making a more diverse cast across ethnic and gender lines, we wanted to quickly check in with CD Projekt Red about how they were handling depictions of those characters.

As part of that accountability process, Mills says that CD Projekt Red absolutely wants players and developers to let them know if they see the dev team slipping up. Overall, it's fascinating to see a developer team reckon with the setting they've selected for their game, and acknowledge it may be worth trying to dampen instances of racism, sexism, or other prejudices & bigotry that could arise from that setting.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't prejudices a big part of the setting?

frajaq

Erudite

I don't understand the logic honestly

If these people want to talk about the issues with "racism, sexism, or other prejudices & bigotry" with videogames wouldn't it be better in a cyberpunk setting to actually show them instead of dampening/hiding it?

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't prejudices a big part of the setting?
That's Shadowrun. In Cyberpunk it is more about class warfare. Inb4 WCDS starts vomiting about marxism.

I don't understand the logic honestly

If these people want to talk about the issues with "racism, sexism, or other prejudices & bigotry" with videogames wouldn't it be better in a cyberpunk setting to actually show them instead of dampening/hiding it?
Some of these people, well meaning as they are, don't understand the difference between showing bigotry to combat it and merely perpetuating bigotry as the status quo. So it's a better PR move for a studio to say there won't be any. Just remember the backslash the 2013 Tomb Raider got when a trailer showed a scene which implied that Lara might get raped. Instead of the intended purpose - showing that she was vulnerable, some people got up in arms that they were going for the tired old "getting raped makes you strong"-cliche that female protagonists have suffered from for decades.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
There was a 2016 French-German film Elle which was about a woman being raped and the aftermath of that. A very good film that wouldn't have been possible if the moral busybodies were given free reign to police depictions of rape. Showing whatever kind of bigotry or violence doesn't mean you endorse it or enable perpetuation of it, such things have to be seen and felt to understand what the fuss is about, it also causes drama, which is a basic building block of standard narrative. Not showing these things perpetuates them because they are invisible for the majority of people.

odrzut

Arcane
Rape is not USA-specific. Lots of race-related tabus are. Why would they suddenly need QA to tell them "rape is a no-no"? Anyway, I hope they are just bullshiting to get PC brigades off their back.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
There was a 2016 French-German film Elle which was about a woman being raped and the aftermath of that. A very good film that wouldn't have been possible if the moral busybodies were given free reign to police depictions of rape. Showing whatever kind of bigotry or violence doesn't mean you endorse it or enable perpetuation of it, such things have to be seen and felt to understand what the fuss is about, it also causes drama, which is a basic building block of standard narrative. Not showing these things perpetuates them because they are invisible for the majority of people.
Yeah but both films and games are just that. You just move on after the few hours of "entertainment". It has nothing in common with the real thing. That is why i find it very pointless. I don't mind racism in games as log as you get the option of acting,that is one of the few thing that Deadfire did right,you can just go around and kill everyone :). If cyberpunk gives me the option to blast people that i don't like,i will be happy guy. I am a little bit afraid that they will go for an actual character like in Vampyre or the Witcher.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
The problem with that Lara scene was that it implied she actually got raped and that it will be presented graphically as gratuitous schlock.
It was cheap, stupid, and done for moronic subhuman arshole reasons, which were then attempted to be covered up as "presenting the issue yo..."
Which is not what you want imposed on your character hero. If you disagree tell me how much any of you would like your character getting raped in a cut scene without ability to do anything about it.

And i dont mean some "sexy chick" youve been salivating over for years on the screen but, your character.

There is showing it and then there is showing it. It depends on exactly HOW you show it.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Good art ...changes you, it shapes minds and ideologies, it's not simply entertainment, if it was it wouldn't have been censored so heavily by authoritarian regimes.

Which is not what you want imposed on your character hero. If you disagree tell me how much any of you would like your character getting raped in a cut scene without ability to do anything about it.

A Dance with Rogues.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom