Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
70244C3120FEA461D8C4034083E8375E7423ECD9

"Hey, who turned off the lights?"

it's true what they say, Gwynn is rather easy when you can parry him. Now it's time for Dark Souls 2.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Yeah, I don't see the fuss about M+KB
Moving the camera in a direction your character is not facing while playing with no lock on AND having fine control over the direction of your weapon simply works better with twin sticks. Playing with KB+M is not impossible, there's nothing impossible when people have beaten dark souls with stuff like drum kit controllers.
I finished both DS and DS3 keyboard only. Why would someone use high latency device like controller?

Beggar

Cipher
Why even bother? Go to Chasm of the Abyss and farm with increased item discovery ring. In no time you'll be stacked with humanity

L'Montes

Educated
As I recall, the humanity phantoms in the Abyss have the highest droprate for humanity in the game.

For soft humanity, the old glitch/trick where the first kill in the Duke's archive from rest always gives a soft humanity if Seath is still alive (obviously not helpful in endgame) is still in the remaster as well I think. Though I'm not sure if doing that 99 times is fast, exactly.

praetor

Arcane
Rat farming in the depths works too.

baby skellies with a one of the halberds (can't remember which one would be the best. probably a chaos gargoyle halberd) are the best/easiest/fastest as they have good drop rates and spawn infinitely so you'll only need to get to the bonfire once your weapon breaks (or you screw up enough times to need an estus refill)

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I've always found baby skellies farming annoying af. The trek is long, the little bitches are small and hard to hit, the humanities they drop disappear super fast and they can actually surround and kill you if you blink for too long.

I vastly prefer the humanity ghosts, a few secs from the last DLC bonfire.

praetor

Arcane
I've always found baby skellies farming annoying af. The trek is long, the little bitches are small and hard to hit, the humanities they drop disappear super fast and they can actually surround and kill you if you blink for too long.

I vastly prefer the humanity ghosts, a few secs from the last DLC bonfire.

the trick is to lure them in as big a clump as you can and use the halberd to aim it so that the first downward swing kills about a third of them, and the 2nd hit which is a swing kills the rest. it takes a bit of practice and you'll inevitably lose some humanities that will disappear too quickly, but it's the fastest farming method because there is no trek from the bonfire other than the first one :) i'd do a video of it, but i'm a lazy bum :P

Beggar

Cipher
No it is not. Few runs in the Chasm in the Abyss and you are stacked with humanity and twin humanity at the same time

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
Oh god. I just spent a few days fighting through the demon ruins... Only to find out I need an item to get through the fog gate. Have to backtrack through ruins, poison swamps, blightown and the depths. Might as well restart...or better yet, go play bloodborne or DS2.

So much for the 'looping level' bullshit everyone gushes about.

I dont care what people say- DS has shit level design just like 2 & 3. In fact, I'd say EVERY level is annoying or boring in this game except maybe the undead church area.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Have to backtrack through ruins, poison swamps, blightown and the depths.

It's not that bad. Demon's Ruins and Izalith is cancer, everyone knows that. But you can reach Firelink through Blighttown super fast if you take the elevator in the swamp and then up a few ladders. Grab the key, run past the club ogres and voila, you're in the New Londo entrance below Firelink. From the Queelag arena it's a few minutes.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Oh god. I just spent a few days fighting through the demon ruins... Only to find out I need an item to get through the fog gate. Have to backtrack through ruins, poison swamps, blightown and the depths. Might as well restart...or better yet, go play bloodborne or DS2.

So much for the 'looping level' bullshit everyone gushes about.

I dont care what people say- DS has shit level design just like 2 & 3. In fact, I'd say EVERY level is annoying or boring in this game except maybe the undead church area.

The depths? Just leave through blighttown, mate. There's a back entrance. Then you take the elevator up to New Londo, then go back up to Firelink. Takes like 5 minutes.

L'Montes

Educated
You can't actually get into Izalith proper before you're able to warp out of it (the yellow fog door is in the demon ruins, and the same act that removes it adds your warp function).

On the upside, as cvv said, if you can make it up to to the Chaos bonfire just after Queelag, it's actually a pretty short run from there to the swamp elevator. Getting to the elevator itself is pretty easy, though you have to navigate some poison blowdart guys and bugs on the way up. The key he references is in a chest at the very top (you can skip a lot of this with the master key).

I typically run the whole thing either way (I don't even bother swiping at the enemies on the way).

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
I hate blighttown and the depths. I haven't actually fought the enemies since like my second playthrough. I just rush through. Takes 5 minutes if you know where you're going. I do come back and get all the stuff I missed once I'm higher level.

RoSoDude

Arcane
Blighttown is probably the best level in the whole game. Potential performance issues aside, it offers some of the most tense and exciting exploration in the game, with wonderful verticality, danger lurking around every corner, dastardly sniper placements and frenetic enemies chasing you up and down the whole rickety structure of ladders and boardwalks. I had such a blast with it, and I went through the whole thing multiple times (I had missed several items and secrets the first time through, and later came back to do the Iato jump, which I still managed despite the cut jump distance from DSFix 60FPS). The poison swamp isn't as much giddy fun, but I still like it for what it provides.

But if you must know, I also think Xen is the best level in Half Life 1 and find The Body of the Many to be a major highlight of System Shock 2, so this is consistent with my "WTF are you guys talking about?" reaction to people's most commonly hated levels in games.

L'Montes

Educated
I find myself annoyed by little things, going back to Dark Souls 1 now.

Some of it is quality of life additions, like being able to aim a crossbow you're two-handing.

Also though... all the unique/special shields that only increase damage (not stability or defenses) when you upgrade them. I can almost understand the damage-oriented ones, though a little extra stability on Bonewheel or Pierce hardly seems game-breaking, but it seemed silly for others like Stone, Artorias, Havel, and Cleansing to just 20 get damage or so for going from 0 to 5 and nothing else. I wonder if they considered revisiting any of that stuff.

newtmonkey

Arcane
After maybe 6 months of not playing any of these games, I started playing again. There was a period a while ago when I was "between jobs" and I played/replayed Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1/2 obsessively, for about a month or so, and when Dark Souls 3 came out I got it immediately, but was already burned out on the formula. Nioh helped, because it is similar but very different, and that got me to get Dark Souls Remastered (I KNOW, I am decline pure and simple), which got me to get back to my game in progress in Dark Souls 3.

I never got around to finishing Dark Souls 3, partly because I found it boring in the mid-game, partly because I found the class/build I chose (pyromancer) to be frustrating early-mid game. A "pure" pyromancer requires you to split your upgrades between faith, intelligence, and attunement to be effective at pyromancer, while also having to spend points to increase your life and endurance of course. So I got to a point where my only options were the first Painted World DLC (where the enemies took 2-3 casts of my most powerful pyromancy to kill, or, jesus, 6+ strikes with my weapon), or the Abyss Watchers, which was hell for non-melee builds.

So I decided to restart as a melee-focused class (knight), and LOLZ it's like playing Demon's Souls with sorcerer (easy mode) in comparison. It is night and day.

---

I have also been replaying Demon's Souls on and off on PS3, and going back, I really like how the graphics have aged. Dark Souls 3 looks great (except for washed out the color palette) with extremely detailed locations full of STUFF, but I also really like the clean look of Demon's Souls. It's also got the best atmosphere in any Souls game, just bleak and oppressive at all times. Sometimes it's hard to go back to 3D graphics from several generations ago, but Demon's Souls is still a high point for PS3 imo.

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
Christ. I'm stuck again. I found ash lake, but decided to bail on it until I can get a decently upgraded weapon to kill the hydra.

I can't figure out how to get back through the great hallow. I found some ladders up, and a platform with branches that go up... But there's some sort of invisible wall blocking the way. I finally gave up and checked a walkthrough and the guy literally ran right through the part... I think my game is glitched.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Christ. I'm stuck again. I found ash lake, but decided to bail on it until I can get a decently upgraded weapon to kill the hydra.

I can't figure out how to get back through the great hallow. I found some ladders up, and a platform with branches that go up... But there's some sort of invisible wall blocking the way. I finally gave up and checked a walkthrough and the guy literally ran right through the part... I think my game is glitched.

You mean that little ledge in the big tree that your character can't seem to walk through? That's a known collision bug. You actually have to try to skirt around the side. Your character should levitate for a second, but I think you have to be fast though.

Its probably fine, but I always rush around because I don't want the game to suddenly remember there's a gap there.

Last edited:

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
You mean that little ledge in the big tree that your character can't seem to walk through? That's a known collision bug. You actually have to try to skirt around the side. Your character should levitate for a second, but I think you have to be fast though.

Its probably fine, but I always rush around because I don't want the game to suddenly remember there's a gap there.

Wow. One other thing they could have fixed for this 'remastered' edition. Thanks for the info... I managed to escape after 2 days trapped in that godamn tree.

In other news... On my way back up, i got cursed by one of those negroid frogs.... Now I get to beat the spider boss with half health.

Tancred

Learned
In other news... On my way back up, i got cursed by one of those negroid frogs.... Now I get to beat the spider boss with half health.

You could always go back down to Ash Lake and farm a purging stone from the man-eater shells. :mixedemotions:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom