Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games codex hates but you like and vice versa.

the_shadow

Arcane
When did everyone here turn on Dark Souls? I remember trying to play it and getting owned because I generally suck at reflex-based games. Using an X-box controller for the first time (which had some technical issues) didn't help. But when I complained, almost everyone here kept reinforcing what a great game it was, which I wouldn't be surprised it is if you're competent at playing it.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
When did everyone here turn on Dark Souls? I remember trying to play it and getting owned because I generally suck at reflex-based games. Using an X-box controller for the first time (which had some technical issues) didn't help. But when I complained, almost everyone here kept reinforcing what a great game it was, which I wouldn't be surprised it is if you're competent at playing it.
The sentiment didn't turn. It's just that the Souls games are mostly discussed in the JRPG forum where a lot of people on this site don't go, because they don't want to risk the masculine image they have cultivated by playing Western made games with elves and wizards by playing Japanese games with elves and wizards that are drawn in slightly different ways.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
There are a lot of games that many dislike here, but that I liked a lot:

Might & Magic X (favorite blobber of the last 20 years, along with Grimoire)
Civilization V
Wasteland 2
Pillars of Eternity 1 & 2
Even Numenera

I hate, Codex loves:
Arcanum
Wiz 8
Underrail

Ditto on those three. Though for me it may be just that I couldn't get into them so far. For example, I disliked Wizards & Warriors when I tried it the first time. But now I gave it another chance and it turned out to be a pretty great game, despite the things I disliked initially.

Mustawd

When did everyone here turn on Dark Souls?

Nah. you got the wrong impression. Look at the ppl commenting. It’s the usual suspects who enjoy complex turn based tactical/strategic Combat.

This is where codex lore is important. I thought DS was boring. Is that surprising snce I prefer turn based tactical games and relatively casual arpgs? Ofc not.

Super twitchy games like DS are normaly not for me. But the codex loves DS. Just check the DS thread and see how many ppl comment.

Saying ppl shouldnt like DS is like sayig u shouldnt like fighting games or platformers.

Whether or not they are rpgs is a topic for another thread imo.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Hate?
PST
Witcher (ALL 3)
Xcom
AoD
autistic Paradox shit
autistic TW shit
pretty much every rpg
every MMO
whatever old ass shit graphics nostalgia game u boomers played 20 years ago

Like?
?????????????????????
lol playing video games wtf

I like Madden
hqdefault.jpg

and Forza

90569638e262114153905599876c99b2--car-girls-cars-motorcycles.jpg

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
PES 2013 is the best RPG I've ever played. Really made me feel like I was a footballer and my choices mattered: will you be a midfielder or a forward? Is it convenient to choose to play as an Arab and watch as your nation doesn't win a World Cup?

Joke aside, I really loved PES 2013. A good football game is infinitely replayable, but finding a good football game isn't easy. There comes a point where you become too good and the AI poses no threat to you.

Matticus

Educated
The only Dark Souls I could tolerate was the first one. I did not like the second one and as a result never gave any others a chance.

Generally I hate all anime games and people that like anime games make me angry, not as a protect my image thing but as a seriously you're delinquents get your shit together thing. The exceptions are JRPGs on the SNES like FF6/Chrono Trigger/Secret of Mana - they are excellent and you get a brofist if you also like them.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
The only Dark Souls I could tolerate was the first one. I did not like the second one and as a result never gave any others a chance.

Generally I hate all anime games and people that like anime games make me angry, not as a protect my image thing but as a seriously you're delinquents get your shit together thing. The exceptions are JRPGs on the SNES like FF6/Chrono Trigger/Secret of Mana - they are excellent and you get a brofist if you also like them.

This is equivalent of "I am not racist because I have black friends."

Matticus

Educated
I don't understand
It is okay to like some Japanese games thats what. This shit where everyone tries too be too cool for japan where they prefece every jap game they like "I promise I am not weeb" is really dumb.

When I was talking about Dark Souls I was referring to its gameplay. It's unfortunate that it's bundled together with anime games on this forum. Those were meant to be two separate statements highlighting that point.

Telemetry

Educated
Patron
Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
A genre that I wouldn't say is hated, more like not really talked about here for obvious reasons, that I really love is simracing.

I grew up on rFactor, racing in leagues online, honing my skills, dreaming of being the next Mansell or Andretti. Nowadays I don't have much time to play and my rig, which I've invested more money than I dare to admit into, just sits collecting dust most of the time.
But when I do play, it is the occasional online race in Iracing or a casual race or just fucking around on a track with old friends on rFactor2.

What I like about it is that it translates into the real world. You learn A TON about car control. You don't feel the G-forces but it is easy to get used to them if you have the basics down, the muscle memory.
You learn a lot about technical stuff in cars and what works, what does not.

Great shit.

the_shadow

Arcane
My own list:

- Elder Scrolls: Oblivion. I found the beginning to be mind-numbingly boring, and leveling some of the more interesting skills takes several hours of continual use. I actually borrowed that trick from the AVGN episode, except instead of putting a wrench on a controller I put a heavy stapler on my 'Cast' key and left the computer for a few hours until my Restoration had reached 100. Once you can craft your own spells and complete some of the more trivial starter quests (especially for the Mage Guild), the game does pick up a lot. And while the game does get a lot of ridicule for the 'radiant AI', and I actually find it pretty impressive for a 3D game that was made in 2006. So if you can stomach the rather lackluster start of Oblivion, it does turn into an enjoyable game IMHO.

- Fallout 3. I didn't 'enjoy' it, but I thought it was OK, and not as bad as made out by the Codex. It would have been a bit better if some of the lame subplots had been removed, like the Vampires who aren't Vampires (lame), and the town run by little children (laughable). Some of the heavy weapons were bugged too. I always hate games where you work your way up to heavy weapons like miniguns and flamers, sacrifice all your inventory weight, and they turn out to be inferior to basic assault rifles. Half the fun of gunplay games is being able to shred stuff with heavy ordinance. "The Pitt" DLC was also great, it's a shame they didn't include it in the base game and remove some of the lame content that I previously mentioned. It might have even been a good way to start the game (as a slave in the Pitt), instead of the Vault nonsense.

- Total Annihilation: Kingdoms: I'm not sure this is 'hated' by the Codex since it's never mentioned, but since Total Annihilation is so popular I'm going to assume that the medieval sequel isn't as well liked. I was addicted to the game in secondary school. Yeah, it's horribly balanced, but still real enjoyable, and the story in the main campaign is compelling without being too serious.

- Ultima 8: It has a mixed reception as well, and I wasn't impressed in my first playthrough. But it's got some good exploration, and is a decent stand-alone game if you pretend it's not part of the Ultima series.

- Dragon Age: I can see why its seen as a bit of a decline. The game is relatively linear, the plot is cookie cutter, the party members are one note, and the romance subplots are teeth clenching. But it was enjoyable to play as a mage, and that counts for a lot in my book.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Eh, I still like The Bard's Tale: Tales of the Unknown and the other two. Pretty much has fallen out of favor for the ball-numbing grind and tedium, but whatever, I can't let it go.

Ultima IX - eh, yes, buggy and such, but thanks to the music and atmosphere, I find this game really relaxing.

Dark Souls - It's like Skyrim but without all those fucking stats to keep track of.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
A genre that I wouldn't say is hated, more like not really talked about here for obvious reasons, that I really love is simracing.

I grew up on rFactor, racing in leagues online, honing my skills, dreaming of being the next Mansell or Andretti. Nowadays I don't have much time to play and my rig, which I've invested more money than I dare to admit into, just sits collecting dust most of the time.
But when I do play, it is the occasional online race in Iracing or a casual race or just fucking around on a track with old friends on rFactor2.

What I like about it is that it translates into the real world. You learn A TON about car control. You don't feel the G-forces but it is easy to get used to them if you have the basics down, the muscle memory.
You learn a lot about technical stuff in cars and what works, what does not.

Great shit.
Ever played Live for Speed? I played through that game like a motherfucker like 10 years ago.

Ocelot

Learned
Pillars of Eternity. Not the best isometric party RPG ever made but I liked it a lot. Not sure why codex rips itself apart every time it is mentioned.

Deus Ex: HR. Vastly different from the classic original but a proper cyberpunk action/rpg nevertheless. Completing it on hard/pacifist is really fun and satisfying.

Last edited:

Matticus

Educated
I have never played an Assassin's Creed, but recently I've liked a few atmospheric walking simulators:
Inside (Walking simulator with minor platforming and puzzle elements)
Alien Isolation (Walking simulator with minor puzzle elements and scares)

And then I also played both pillars games and liked certain elements of them - for example in the first one I got to kill dragons.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom