Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Frogwares' The Sinking City - that other Cthulhu game

Deathsquid

Learned
I think it's the opposite, a grown-up mind is terrified not with cosmic horrors or strange landscapes or fishpeople but with things like tax forms and mortgages and land value going down because fish people moved in to that nice house the Petersons used to live in.

Deathsquid

Learned
Humans, fish people, eldritch horrors, sounds pretty diverse to me.

I hope we get to explore the rich tapestry of fish people's culture.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
My only problem with that interview is that the guy looks like a teenager and I don't have much faith in younglings to do Lovecraft justice.
At this point, no one can. The ghost of H.P. himself could appear and dictate a game design and 90% of the fans would say it's "not faithful to Lovecraft".
Let go of whether it'll be "really Lovecraftian", whatever that means in your mind. Just hope it's good.

Plus, that guy is a fucking nerd - an honest to god Live Action Role-Player
love.png
so in my book he already has more cred than anyone here.

Barbarian

Arcane
Look forward to this, but it doesn't seem like it is actually coming out this year. We have entered june and they have awful little to show so far.

Hope they take as much time as needed to deliver a good product.

Brancaleone

Liturgist
My only problem with that interview is that the guy looks like a teenager and I don't have much faith in younglings to do Lovecraft justice.
At this point, no one can. The ghost of H.P. himself could appear and dictate a game design and 90% of the fans would say it's "not faithful to Lovecraft".
Let go of whether it'll be "really Lovecraftian", whatever that means in your mind. Just hope it's good.
Exactly. As long as it's suitably unsettling, and with jump-scares kept to a minimum, it's fine.

I like them both, to be honest. I know people will see them as rivals but I actually see them as different takes on cosmic horror. One very specifically Lovecraftian and the other more general, with more creative freedom, punching a not-Cthulhu in the face, a happy ending and stuff like that.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I like them both, to be honest. I know people will see them as rivals but I actually see them as different takes on cosmic horror. One very specifically Lovecraftian and the other more general, with more creative freedom, punching a not-Cthulhu in the face, a happy ending and stuff like that.
I don't care about rivalry, I just care whether each individual game is good. This latest silliness from Cyanide is raising grave doubts as to whether COC will be good. Doesn't seem like they have their act together. Frogwares on the other hand are talking the talk in the right direction - despite some early disappointments, my expectations for Sinking City ... are rising again.
rowboat_emoji-modifier-fitzpatrick-type-4_1f6a3-1f3fd_1f3fd.png

Ahoy!

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
cutscene, cutscene, cutscene... I guess I've seen enough to skip (this and the other Cthulhu game)

Zombra

Patron
cutscene, cutscene, cutscene... I guess I've seen enough to skip (this and the other Cthulhu game)
Meh. Of course you're going to see lots of cutscenes from E3 preview videos - actual gameplay is less "cinematic". I am losing faith in the Cyanide one but we haven't even seen the good stuff from this yet (like the 'thought cabinet' screen they talked about, decision making in solving cases, etc.) I'm not promising it'll be good but tuning out because E3 is E3 is a mistake imo.

Tancred

Learned
Cool, didn't know this game is viewed from the first-person perspective of a midget who's constantly running just behind and to the right of the main character.

Zombra

Patron
Cool, didn't know this game is viewed from the perspective of a midget who's constantly running just behind and to the right of the main character.
Please start a thread in General Gaming about how all games should be first person perspective. Please.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom