Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Lampshade

Barely Literate
Terraria expert mode has been a fun ride so far.

I haven't even beaten Moon Lord or Duke Fishron in a normal world yet, but I'm still going the route of "constantly play with friends to give free buffs to bosses and get killed 10 times in a row".

It's probably the exploration of new gear and satisfaction in finally beating a boss which is really pulling me in. We end up trying a bunch of weapons, going through piles of garbage and eventually finding something broken.

Also, an update would be nice. Small dev team woes

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Just started League of Legends. Pretty entertaining
Consider suicide.

After this meta and trying to play ranked, he might. Riot cannot program. They cannot balance. Their idea of balance is what looks good on camera, which is why team fights tend to last 2 seconds and no one knows what the fuck is going on because of all of the flashy garbage going on.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Terraria expert mode has been a fun ride so far.

I haven't even beaten Moon Lord or Duke Fishron in a normal world yet, but I'm still going the route of "constantly play with friends to give free buffs to bosses and get killed 10 times in a row".

It's probably the exploration of new gear and satisfaction in finally beating a boss which is really pulling me in. We end up trying a bunch of weapons, going through piles of garbage and eventually finding something broken.

Also, an update would be nice. Small dev team woes

Yeah, expert mode is pretty fun. Are you in hardmode yet? That's when the real madness starts.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy

I really don't want to be that guy but fuck it. Just play dota 2 ffs. The engine is superior, the game actually has 100s of truly unique characters, builds, and not to mention wealth of really interesting items that aren't stat sticks. The only people that play league are those that have not seriously tried dota. At least do sane thing and play both games for 50h before you make a final choice. Everyone and their dog starts with league because it seems more popular until they accidentally give dota a try and go ????????????????? how the fuck is league more popular. I started with league too years ago.

Better yet don't play mobas at all because they are utterly frustrating to play (mainly because of community and how long the games last). If you want to play something competitive play quake or fighting games.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
do sane thing and play both games for 50h

These are games where you can be a year in and still be considered an utter noob. You will not be playing actual moba until 100s of hours, because the amount of stuff one needs to learn and understand to make meaningful decisions is staggering, and those games are ALL about decision making.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Consider suicide.

League of Legends can be fun if you are completely new to the genre. It becomes a shitty experience once you take it seriously and start trying to get into higher ranks.

This isn't unique to league of legends. I actually have a lot to say on the topic since I've unfortunately wasted way too much of my life playing competitive team games. The problem is central to ALL games where teamwork trumps individual skill like dota, ow, league, etc... The way those type of games were handled 10+ years ago were that people would join clans and then the clans would join appropriate skill level league. That was actually fun and the way those types of games are meant to be played. The cancer everyone has experienced comes from a bunch of randos trying to play as a team while focusing on "individual carry" to gain rank. No one trusts each other, many don't want to actually play with half of their teamates etc.. Many games don't even have a role q.

My suggestion is to recognize that team games will ALWAYS be cancer in the current solo q ranked meta and simply stop trying to pretend it will ever get better - it won't. Trust me I've been around for a while in many games. What you need to do is start playing shit like quake duel, starcraft 1v1, and fighting games. They avoid this issue entirely. If you do insist playing team games, find a team RIGHT NOW and drop this rando q nonsense.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I’m shit at dota 2, but I pnly play with a set team. If we’re gonna rage, we rage at each other. It has worked for 5 years.

boot

Prophet
I've been playing...

Templar Battleforce
(Battleforce: Templar would've sounded much better, though)

It's very good. Games with an Ironman mode usually are.

had an epic, 40 turn battle that I barely managed to win last time I played. Didn't take screenshots, but I can describe it...

I was rushing the Retaking of Torren map (a very large, open battle where you're retaking a city from a horde of Xeno by closing multiple gates that have Xeno pouring out of them) and left a tactical point under-defended. Lost it, and with it any chance of calling for reinforcements (which, I had really been counting on in my blitz across the map). My templars were near instantly surrounded and beginning to reach maximum heat overload, Xeno were breaking our lines...

Entered a nearby building and had the Hydra Templar light the entrance on fire, Engineer dropped a turret. Paladin and Captain blocked the narrow hallway and we held the aliens off until the squad was back down to zero heat. Paladin ran out of heals keeping the squad from succumbing to the massive heat damage.

There was a massive horde to the North, and another just as large to the east - which was where the final objective was - but only stray Xeno seemed to be attempting to attack the squad. It was strange.

As the fires died down, Soldier1 dropped Rallying Charge and we broke from the building toward the final objective, quickly seizing a nearby tactical point. Xeno responded from the North, with others coming from a blindspot to the south. Decided to ditch the tactical point and hold up in a building just to the east, which was as close to the objective as we could get, right on top of the eastern horde.

Now, outside the building there were like 40 xeno. Stepping foot outside would mean death on the enemies turn, but we had one unit who could just barely manage to make it through a gap in the horde and reach a little nook on the other side of this no-mans-land, where he might only be attacked by 5 or 6 deadly aliens rather than 12. On the following turn, if he survived, he could reach the objective and it would be over.

But that unit was the CAPTAIN. Losing him means losing the whole Ironman game. More than a dozen hours of progress! And Captain was all out of his movement increasing self buffs, and this would be the last turn the buffs were active...

CAN YOU FEEL THE ADRENLINE PUMPING?! THIS IS A TURNBASED ORGASM

The Captain shot the gap and won the day. On the enemy turn, not one Xeno attacked him, they just moved around him, surrounding him in a strange pattern... Shalun favors the brave.

Matticus

Educated
SkiNNyBane I don't play dota 2 anymore because I've firmly decided that I dislike multiplayer games -- but I got roped into a few games when they opened up seasons months ago and got to Ancient 3. Ultimately, the game seems to be hopelessly locked into a design that encourages greed and bad behavior. I would suggest avoiding it and its ilk.

Last edited:

Ivan

Arcane
The Dream Machine

the best point and click adv game I've played thus far (eclipsing Day of the Tentacle). It has zero bullshit puzzles, looks amazing, performance was so-so for me, but ultimately it an experience both wonderfully strange and heartbreaking.
6B0FA55773D315484D10C2AAB073904932CF1844

1BD202D155E619915FE1B9F221623E7FE3314684

BUY IT :5/5:

kieferd20

Ellis Studios
Developer
So, what is the game you're mostly playing now and what do you think of it?

To start this thread off, I'm spending most of my gaming time on Paradox's Crusader Kings with the Deus Vult expansion and the DVIP mod installed. The game honestly has me ensnared so much that I'm even dreaming about it. Haven't had that in years. The game is somewhat of a mix between a medieval sims, strategy and roleplaying game in which you guide a dynasty through the Dark Ages. It also has a tendency to shower all sorts of misfortune over you at the most inopportune moments. Love it, even so much that I started an ironman of it. Masochism incarnated.

For those interested, Root is making an excellent LP of it.
https://itch.io/s/8976/four-of-the-greatest-rpgs-to-date-on-sale-now

PorkBarrellGuy

So, what is the game you're mostly playing now and what do you think of it?

To start this thread off, I'm spending most of my gaming time on Paradox's Crusader Kings with the Deus Vult expansion and the DVIP mod installed. The game honestly has me ensnared so much that I'm even dreaming about it. Haven't had that in years. The game is somewhat of a mix between a medieval sims, strategy and roleplaying game in which you guide a dynasty through the Dark Ages. It also has a tendency to shower all sorts of misfortune over you at the most inopportune moments. Love it, even so much that I started an ironman of it. Masochism incarnated.

For those interested, Root is making an excellent LP of it.
https://itch.io/s/8976/four-of-the-greatest-rpgs-to-date-on-sale-now

1460306319738.jpg

DeepOcean

Arcane
Playing Grim Dawn in preparation for the new expansion, Forgotten Gods, that gonna be released later this year, generally, I'm not a fan of ARPGs, mostly because they demand a brutal time commitment before delivering on the goods, and on Grim Dawn case, the base game has some issues like many areas on the game don't being artistically diverse enough but after playing Ashes of Malmouth, the first expansion, I felt the expansion was really well done and a step up from the base game on a major way.

Really liked the new areas on the last expansion with the lore of people made mad by evil spirits of the forest, slowly turning them on cannibals and eventually anthropomorphic monsters with beast heads, witches on their covenant help you out and a final boss very Tzimisce inspired, the Shaper of Flesh. Not that the expansion is perfect, the last area, is a big disappointment in comparison with the swamp being yet another city on ruins.

It remains an ARPG though, with that nonsense of having to play the game three times to actually get cool loot included but they added alot of new content over the years and once you get high level and start trying out the higher level loot and having shit exploding everywhere is really fun, the problem is to withstand the tedium to get there...

To be honest, the only thing that doesn't make me give up because of the huge waste of time leveling up characters is that I REALLY like the setting and the meaty combat sound effects with the shaking screen on explosions make me distracted enough from the fact that I'm just killing the same monsters over and over.

The lore behind the game is very derivative but the way they set up things is very clever actually with even the evil monsters having an understandable motivation and actions that made sense that goes beyond MUHAWWWW, I"M EVIL, that generic fantasy is so fucking guilt of, just look to Diablo 3 and see a prime example of how NOT to make a setting and story, it is pretty decent dark fantasy that unfortunately is mostly told through lore texts as you are too busy killing stuff for serious RPG stuff.

Anyway, it is pretty cool for an ARPG, not as pretty as Wolcen or as content packed as Path of Exile and Warframe and their endless expansions but it has a pretty cool setting and a decently done loot treadmill and character theorycrafting that can keep you going and is certainly better than diarrhea like Diablo 3, just wished those developers came up with a better idea than forcing you to replay the same content 100 times if you want to try builds up.

PorkBarrellGuy

I just hope they don't bump the level cap any higher in Forgotten Gods.

Swampy_Merkin

Learned
Possibly Retarded
Play Mount & Blade: Warband. Learn to truly, manually fight and block with a sword. Walk down the street with your head held high knowing that you can manually fight and block with a (virtual) sword.

Your dick will thank you.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Dark Souls 3
Pontiff Sulyvahn down! I got very close to beating him on my second attempt, and knew that punishing him during his summon animation was going to make things a lot easier, so it just took a couple more attempts to get his moveset down. Pretty fun boss, even if you know his moveset well, a single mistimed roll can ruin your day.

I attempted the two boss encounters in Painted World a few times, trying different things, but not making much progress on either, so I put that aside and instead began exploring Profaned Capital. Not too exciting yet...

Skyrim
This can be a fun game to just turn your mind off and follow quest markers, but I am at a point in the story where the main quest is literally going from one town on the edge of the map, to another town on another edge of the map, several times in a row. You don't even do anything to solve the quest, just talk to the guy in the town marked on your map, then off to do it again and again. I would be tempted to put the main quest aside and explore, but for what? Everything you find is level scaled, so I'd just find a bunch of shitty swords and gloves that are no better than what I've had since the start of the game.

Still, this is the "best" of modern Bethesda I guess.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom