Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starsector - RT 2D indie space goodness

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
7 years now

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Better or worse than Space rangers HD?
It's kinda the complete opposite of Space Rangers.

Yeah I still hope they will add single ship in galaxy mode with text based adventures on planets and inside the space hulks and abandoned stations like in SRs. Butt the game is now gearing towards low scale 4X. With colonies added you will have finally initiative to keep the best scans of planets for yourself... and of course explore more. I am still optimistic.

cpmartins

Cipher
Combat is real time in Starsector, Space Rangers is phase based. The galaxy is dynamic in SR, static in the base game in SS (Nexerelin can change that). Lots of unique ships that you get to know in SR, while fleets in SS are there so you can either murder or run from them. I like SS combat better though, not that SR is bad or anything. And that's saying something since I really like the combat in SR.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
Starsector is static? The whole point of the economy update and outposts update is so factions expand and populate dynamically, no?
No.
As far as I know(can be wrong) planet ownership still will be static in next update and only player could be build new colonies. Maybe update after... Of course there is also Nex but that its another story.

Whiskeyjack

Learned
So not really comparable then? Fug it, I'll give it a go.
The similarity pretty much ends in the planet dynamics and the visuals of taking off/landing on said planets. Battles take place in their own screen (while in SR2 they take place on the same map).

disposable

Novice
7 years in he's redoing the entire trade and economy system literally for the fifth time. Following development of games like these makes me want to claw out my eyes.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
So not really comparable then? Fug it, I'll give it a go.
The similarity pretty much ends in the planet dynamics and the visuals of taking off/landing on said planets. Battles take place in their own screen (while in SR2 they take place on the same map).
Bought it, played a whole bunch. Obviously nowhere close to SR:HD content wise but I loved it anyway, reminded me of SR:HD meets Gratouitous Space Battles kinda (autopilot and superior tatctics all day:P). A hidden (rough) gem as far as I'm concerned.
Can't wait for the "4x" patch :thumbsup:
and the full game in 7 years :troll:

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
7 years in he's redoing the entire trade and economy system literally for the fifth time. Following development of games like these makes me want to claw out my eyes.
I am fine with that. As far as every one is better than other and all are functional.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Escape Velocity Nova and Endless Sky reminded me that this game exists. Apparently, I only bought it four years ago. I forget if it used to be free or if there was a demo, but I definitely first started following it long before the name change.

9ebdb32af6.png

I played it in 2014, when it was basically just a fleet combat game and nothing else, and recall amassing a colossal fleet; I played it again in 2016, when more shit had been added, but pirates you could never outrun badgered you constantly and supplies and fuel were consumed obnoxiously fast, so I dropped it; and I'm playing it again now. Yeah, apparently this guy will take about two decades to finally settle on how the game's systems will work.

Outfitting and combat don't seem to have changed much at all, but now there are actually NPCs, commodities, missions, etc. If there's one thing I do love about this game, it's the sumptuous graphics and UI. I like the ship design aesthetic... kinda reminds me of Japanese mecha anime or arcade games. I'm not too sure what to make of this latest build, but the fact that one of the earliest missions employs stealth to avoid being seen by the degenerate unionized miner-pirate fleet is a very good sign.

I really don't see this as an RTS at all. It's meant to be a space adventure/exploration/combat game in roughly the same vein as Escape Velocity or I guess Space Rangers, except on a decidedly fleet-based scale. I guess my biggest question is whether you can make small fleets of 2-3 medium-sized Millennium Falcon analogues work or if a snowballing gigafleet is always going to be the ultimate goal.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
The "4x" patch (player colonies, fleet construction, empire trade) supposedly releases november 30, I'd wait for that before giving it another go, should be goooood.

Yeah, might be a good idea.

So far, I've done the intro missions, then I did a sensor package/derelict salvage mission that required me to take a massively long trip and introduced me to the need to dodge clouds of electrified purple diarrhea, then I took a fuel delivery mission that spawns a scripted fleet of pirates five feet away from whichever wormhole I use to exit the system, guaranteed to catch and engage me no matter what I do unless (perhaps; maybe not even then) my fleet only contains fast ships and I instantly perform an emergency burn.

I didn't like this before, and I still don't now. It's a metagame-y design crutch. It's one thing for existing pirates going about their business to zero in on the player, but spawning some in a guaranteed, inescapable, perfect ambush position is faggoty and stupid.

It's not even that I can't beat them; I almost certainly can. I just didn't bother, because this shit is obnoxious.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
From the way I phrased my last post, it might have seemed as though I was ready to drop the game.

I didn't.

abdc1fb0a4.png

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Some people are cripplingly autistic morons who refuse to play a game unless and until it's declared totally complete.

Even vanilla Starsector is now quite full of stuff to keep one occupied for dozens of hours at a minimum, but with Nexerelin (that adds player factions, dynamic alliances, etc.), DynaSector, and any selection of the three dozen up-to-date mods that add ships and missions, you're guaranteed hundreds of hours of play.

The ships that modders have added to Starsector are almost universally just as high-quality as the ships in the base game. For example:

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=10046.0
mmVvUvm.jpg

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Considering I just got done playing the shit out of this game, it's probably going to sit on the shelf for another year or so before I get around to playing through it again (also gives modders time to update and adapt).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom