Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Druidstone Summer 2018 Development Update

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Ctrl Alt Ninja; Druidstone: The Secret of the Menhir Forest

Ctrl Alt Ninja have kept their noses to the grindstone since they announced that Druidstone was entering production back in February. Four months later, they've checked in with a development update to inform us that the game is well on its way to alpha. The update also reveals details about Druidstone's ability system, which uses a simple but effective per-encounter scheme. And they'd also like to know if you'd be interested in an early access release. You can read the whole thing here, but first a new screenshot:

The last update is already from February and quite a lot has happened since, as you’d expect. For instance, the guys have been cranking out new enemies at stellar speed and the enemy gallery is now up to whopping 37 enemy types, not counting variations. That’s a lot considering our art team consist only of our dynamic duo, Juho and Jyri who are modeling and animating all the monsters!

On the gameplay side we’ve been concentrating on building the length of the game in the form of new levels. Our current goal is to hit alpha, which is perhaps the second most important milestone for us (the most important, of course, is shipping the game). Alpha in our terminology means getting the game to a state where it can be played from start to finish without nothing major missing. The sooner we can hit alpha the better, because then we have more time to polish everything and make the game really great. We are not quite in alpha yet, as we need more playable levels to get there. That said, the first half of the game is pretty much in playable condition and the very last segment of the game is also done. Now we just have to fill in the gaps and then we can start adding new playable characters, side missions, secrets, new abilities and items, etc.

On the coding side we have progressed on multiple fronts as well. For example, the game now has a proper main menu and savegame system. We have also added a world map mode, where the party travels between adventuring sites. All in all, with these additions it’s starting to feel like a real game!

Ability System

Among many other things the ability system has been worked on. We haven’t really explained how the ability system of Druidstone works, so here’s a quick intro. Characters can have two kind of abilities: passive and active. Every character starts with a basic selection of abilities and you buy new abilities and upgrade existing ones with XP. Instead of a more traditional mana/energy point system, every active ability can be used a certain number of times per battle. For instance, one of Leonhard’s starting abilities is Whirlwind and his level in that ability is initially 2, so he can use Whirlwind to attack all adjacent creatures up to 2 times per battle. Using XP he can upgrade the ability to next level to add 1 more use of the ability, or he could spend the XP to purchase an entirely different new ability. The characters themselves have no concept of level; the power level of heroes is entirely determined by the abilities and equipment they possess.

We like this system a lot because it’s very explicit and simple yet very flexible and powerful. You can see at a glance which abilities you can use and how many times. Choosing when to use abilities is pretty tricky and key to winning battles!

Parting Shot

Every now and then we receive questions about whether we have any crowd funding options or if there’s any other way to support the development of this game. It’s super, super awesome to hear that people are willing to support us in this way! Crowd funding is unfortunately rather tricky in Finland due to legislation and would anyway probably take too much time away from finishing the game. However, we have been talking internally about the possibility of having some sort of paid beta / early access for those who want to support us. We have never done one before, but we have had very successful closed betas for Grimrock. Naturally if we would have a beta program, the game would need to be near shipping quality (we being very allergic to showing unfinished stuff!). If successful, it would allow us to spend a bit more time polishing the game and perhaps have a bigger budget for outsourcing stuff like music and sound effects. It could potentially also help in increasing the awareness of this project before it ships. On the other hand the whole “paid beta” thing seem to have a negative connotation caused by some projects taking ages to get from beta to shipping.

Anyway, we haven’t decided anything yet, other than we are open to this option and we’d like to hear your opinion on this. So what do you think? If you are open to the idea and would be willing to pay for beta access, what would be a proper price range for a closed beta? Naturally those participating would get the shipping version at no extra cost. And if this sounds like a terrible idea, we’d like to know as well.
What do you think, Codex? A bigger budget for music and sound effects seems like a no-brainer, but these guys are so oldschool that early access feels wrong somehow. It's still a long way off, though.

CRD

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Looks great to me.

I would gladly throw money to their faces if they launch a kickstarter or EA program.

They also have an extra option. Launch a BETA on steam, like Klei entertainment do. You can release the game on steam as beta, so no one can give you reviews on the home page, and your game don't appear on the store while browsing the site, you need to know the URL to be able to see and buy it.

That way people with half a brain can purchase the game, offer you funds and help balancing and developing the game while avoiding reviews like "TOP KEK EARLY ACCESS LOLLLOLOLO SCAM DOWNVOTE" that later will move to the score of final build even if is a completely different game, as happens if you release the game under Early access.

example: https://store.steampowered.com/app/382560/Hot_Lava/

Klei have used this method successfully for hot lava and Oxygen included.

Last edited:

Farewell into the night

Druidstone is a game I'm waiting for. I like the name, devs and what I've red from the beginning. I'll be happy to check it out and play it.

frajaq

Erudite
They should have been completing Legend of Grimrock IV about now, rather than working on a game about druids. :rpgcodex:

Maybe they're just following Iron Tower's Vince advice on how sequels sell like shit (and experienced themselves with Grimrock 2 sales) and are only gonna make fresh new games from now on
:troll:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Druids are probably the least marketable RPG class, so any game that focuses on them is more or less doomed to fail commercially, unfortunately.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Druids are probably the least marketable RPG class, so any game that focuses on them is more or less doomed to fail commercially, unfortunately.
Not so sure. They just need to focus on their wild gay and anti Trump side and they will sell a lot :P

frajaq

Erudite
Ehhh they're one of the most popular classes in WoW

And I thought they were pretty strong in D&D 3.5e?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom