Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Winter Voices 2 - Child of the Pyre

Martyr

Arcane
Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/claralehenaff/child-of-the-pyre

Did you hear about Winter Voices ? It was a small indie RPG, developped ten years ago - one of the very first on Steam. It sure was a rare sight : there are few indie RPGs, and even fewer are the ones where everything revolves around defending against your inner traumas. It had a strange gameplay, a heavy poetry and a very memorable art. Despite various problems, it managed to generate a lot of love from thousands of players and sold over 100 000 copies. Sadly, the company went bankrupt before the game could be fully released.

9a92872b0391f230836bd4a283665866_original.png

Inner Seas was created in 2012 by the creative director and author of Winter Voices, Clara Lehenaff, to finish the game. A giant corrective patch was released in 2013, followed by the last two episodes. Winter Voices was finally completed.

Years later, we're back and we're ready to develop the sequel : the second and last part of Winter Voices : Child of the Pyre.

But developping a game, especially an unusual RPG, can cost quite a lot of money. We want to avoid repeating the same mistakes that were made in the initial development of Winter Voices. That's where you can help us.

Grüß Gott ! :salute:
I just want to share awareness of the upcoming Kickstarter on Winter Voices 2 which is officially called "Child of the Pyre".
If people can spend over 46.000€ in just 2 days on yet another samey Vogel game, I guess a few shekels shouldn't be too much to ask to give the team behind WV another chance.
I did not play WV but I do like the art and at least the setting/story/gameplay is innovative, so this will be the first time I'll donate money to a crowdfunding campaign.

please note that this is the first and only forum I've ever been a member of, so I don't really know how to post pictures. because of that I'll just post a few links, hopefully at least one of them will work. please forgive me my lack of experience :negative:

OnSDCYO.png

https://steamcommunity.com/app/72900/discussions/0/1692669912388012919/

Last edited by a moderator:

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
I haven't met a single other person who has played these games but I really liked them. Had a very unique atmosphere. It was kind of a miracle that the original series was even finished, if I remember correctly the studio that made the first few episodes went under and the last episode had to be made by another developer or something. Hope this kickstarter does well.

Martyr

Arcane
I haven't met a single other person who has played these games but I really liked them. Had a very unique atmosphere. It was kind of a miracle that the original series was even finished, if I remember correctly the studio that made the first few episodes went under and the last episode had to be made by another developer or something. Hope this kickstarter does well.
I would love to play WV but the actual game is just a small box in the middle of the screen surrounded by black. changing the resolution in the options or even editing the config doesn't change anything. this problem existed/exists on Win 7/8/10. each time I buy a new computer I reinstall WV to see if the problem is still there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Martyr

Arcane
the actual game is just a small box in the middle of the screen surrounded by black.
lol, so I was checking out some screenshots and videos and it seems to me that this game actually looks like that. I always thought there was something wrong with the resolution. but now I know better than that so I'll start playing through all the episodes once I'm finished with Arx Fatalis.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:hmmm:

Are you using Chrome? You don't need to embed Imgur images like that. Right-click, Copy image, paste.

DexRiwus

Novice
Making a direct sequel for mediocre game is not a good idea. I doubt this will succeed.

Martyr

Arcane
Are you using Chrome? You don't need to embed Imgur images like that. Right-click, Copy image, paste.
yes, I do use Chrome. I've tried copy & pasting images before I created this thread. it didn't work.

Making a direct sequel for mediocre game is not a good idea. I doubt this will succeed.
I hope this will be successful. at least this is innovative/creative and not another cookie-cutter/bland/unoriginal piece of shite like PoE or D:OS.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oof. 30€ to get the base game... that's quite a lot for a Kickstarter campaign.
Don't think that will add to the campaign's success.

Martyr

Arcane
Oof. 30€ to get the base game... that's quite a lot for a Kickstarter campaign.
Don't think that will add to the campaign's success.
yup, the game is too pricey and the kickstarter page was pretty bland, before they added the artwork.
also I think I remember hearing/reading about the success/failure of Kickstarter campaigns: if at least 10% of your goal don't get funded in the first 4 hours, your campaign is pretty unlikely to make it.
as of now I am highly pessimistic about them reaching their goal.

xantrius

Liturgist
Think most Kickstarters have reached out to gaming news sites before they start though. This one haven't yet so I might pick up. They have no one with real marketing skills it seems.

Martyr

Arcane
Think most Kickstarters have reached out to gaming news sites before they start though. This one haven't yet so I might pick up. They have no one with real marketing skills it seems.
yeah, it's pure coincidence that I stumbled upon them planning to do a kickstarter. I just got a new computer, installed WV and checked the forums. otherwise I wouldn't have known. so they're obviously no marketing professionals ^^

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
yeah, it's pure coincidence that I stumbled upon them planning to do a kickstarter. I just got a new computer, installed WV and checked the forums. otherwise I wouldn't have known. so they're obviously no marketing professionals ^^
It really beats me how anyone can be so utterly unprofessional and ill-prepared for something so important.
I mean, it's not like this is rocket science - yet so many campaigns pop up with the very basics of a good campaign setup not met.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Better not be using adobe air again...

Damn right. That's the reason I haven't gotten around to playing the original. Demo left such a bad taste because it ran so poorly, but it was early days of Adobe AIR which really was bad. Maybe things have changed since then? First game ticked those turn-based RPG boxes while not really being your by-the-numbers RPG, but I always had this fear it'll unfold into some sort of pretentious allegorical narrative or whatever that tends to plague artsy small team games.

4d868ec364f64f4fa0823c9b18d54d5c.jpg

Martyr

Arcane
whew, their Kickstarter campaign is failing hard!
not even 11.000€ raised after 20 days, now there's only 8 days left and they still need 19.000€. so it doesn't seem like there'll be a Winter Voices 2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom