Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any good point and click adventure games for beginners?

Falksi

Arcane
Technobabylon

This bad boy is well underrated. A great game all-round, and enough fresh elements to make it really stand out from a lot of other similar games.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
There's no "old" voice acting if that's what you ask, the originals were voiceless. The Special Editions added voice acting (by the voice actors from Curse of Monkey Island and onwards), which is sadly disabled when you press F10 into "retro mode". By using the Talkie Builder, you can create a playable classic edition with implemented voice acting, which is launched with ScummVM or DOSBox.

I could of sworn the SE of Monkey Island 2 had a voice acting option for the classic graphics mode. I guess I'm insane.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I'll also say I found the graphics of the Monkey Island 2 SE to be adequate. I could see a younger fella preferring it that way. The original SE though is horrid looking.

Also Monkey Island 2 sucks as an answer to this thread anyway because its puzzles are quite shit a lot of the time.

Barbalos

Savant
Your fear of the moon logic in old adventure games is not unfounded. A lot of those old games (like Monkey Island) are worth playing eventually though, especially if you can familiarize yourself with the genre a bit.

A Telltale game would be an easy entrance into the genre, though I don't know how much it would help with any 'classic'-style point'n'clicks as it is far easier than any of them. I liked Wolf Among Us, and heard that Tales from the Borderlands was also good.

My suggestion for a more traditional type of adventure game, that is still more modern than say King's Quest, is Gemini Rue, published by Wadjet Eye. It is one of my favourite point'n'clicks, has a cool story, and is pretty easy for the genre.

visions

Arcane
From Lucasarts' adventures, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis should be a good introduction to the genre as it is quite easy, no overly crazy cartoon logic there. There are some arcade parts but they are much easier than in the first Lucasarts Indy game (Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade). At a certain point in the Fate of Atlantis, you have to choose one of three paths (fists, wits or team), I'm p. sure you don't have to fight anyone on the wits or team paths. No matter which path you chose, you will encounter nazi soldiers in the last part of the game when the paths converge again, but you can flee from them without repercussions.

I would reccommend playing Fate of Atlantis before the Last Crusade, as Indy and the Last Crusade is more archaic, has harder arcade sections and you can make the game unwinnable, so it would be best saved for when you have more experience under your belt. You've probably the seen the film anyway and the games have self contained stories, so you won't miss anything important if you play Fate of Atlantis before the Last Crusade.

From the first three Monkey Islands, the first game is imo the easiest and the second is the hardest. I wouldn't reccommend Monkey 2 for a beginner, unless you have no qualms about using the hint system (which comes with the Special Edition but also works when you play in classic mode). You mentioned earlier, that you fear that the classic mode of Monkey 1 has worse UI than the Special Edition. It's actually the other way around, one inventory puzzle in the game has a reputation for being a real pain in the ass without switching to the classic mode. Also the classic mode looks better imo.

Ivan

Arcane
I would caution against Fate of Atlantis. I found the second half to be a boring slog, not sure exactly when the 3 paths re-converge. But everything from the Dig Site was incredibly boring and obtuse. There was an insufferable amount of backtracking in the maze/cave (which can be avoided if you metagame and know what to take with you). Avoid.

New suggestion that are beginner friendly:

Book of Unwritten Tales 1+ 2
The Inner World

m_s0

Arcane
I'd add Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars to the list. I don't remember it being too difficult, and puzzles are not as wacky or cartoony as some of MI or DOTT puzzles are.
This. Puzzles in BS are relatively logical for point and click adventure games from the 90s, the game is briskly paced, extremely charming and personable, doesn't take itself too seriously, has really great characters, and there's a virtually unmatched sense of adventure to it. It's a true gem.

Just be sure to avoid the so-called 'Director's Cut' for your first playthrough. The additions are distractingly sub-par for the most part (new screens, new puzzles, new art etc). Also, the DC is slightly censored vs the original, and it cuts the player's ability to make overtly dumb decisions and get killed in a few instances. And I do mean overtly dumb. You get the original bundled with the DC if you grab it on Steam or GOG.

I'd say BS2 is very much worth playing (same caveat regarding the 'Director's Cut' aka 'Remastered' version), but some would disagree. It's not as good as the first game, though. If you get hooked the rest of the series might be of interest, but there is a precipitous drop in quality after BS2.

There's also a fan-made Broken Sword 2.5 you can grab for free.

Ivan

Arcane
I'd say BS2 is very much worth playing (same caveat regarding the 'Director's Cut' aka 'Remastered' version), but some would disagree. It's not as good as the first game, though. If you get hooked the rest of the series might be of interest, but there is a precipitous drop in quality after BS2.

different strokes for different folks I guess, I very much felt the series dropped hard after the first

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
A Telltale game would be an easy entrance into the genre, though I don't know how much it would help with any 'classic'-style point'n'clicks as it is far easier than any of them. I liked Wolf Among Us, and heard that Tales from the Borderlands was also good.

Their newer stuff is so different I'm not sure it represents the genre as well. He could play their first couple Sam & Max titles but they're not super great, much better off playing the first or another "easy" classic like Tentacle.

I would caution against Fate of Atlantis. I found the second half to be a boring slog, not sure exactly when the 3 paths re-converge. But everything from the Dig Site was incredibly boring and obtuse. There was an insufferable amount of backtracking in the maze/cave (which can be avoided if you metagame and know what to take with you). Avoid.

That game really does get kinda bad at the dig site and I'm always surprised people don't point it out more. That said up until that point I think it's a total classic.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Not sure where it stands in the pantheon of adventure games, but I greatly enjoyed Sanitarium. Puzzles were mostly straightforward as well. The old Legend games like Gateway and Eric the Unready, while not strictly point&click, are also terrific. Legend also made proper point&click games, but I never played those.

m_s0

Arcane

different strokes for different folks I guess, I very much felt the series dropped hard after the first
The personality, characters and feel is still largely there in the sequel, but it's definitely a weaker game.

Cadmus

Arcane
I was thinking about trying out the point and click genre, but not sure which ones to play. I don't think I'll enjoy stuff like monkey island, or the old point and click adventure ones cause I heard the puzzles can get really weird in them.

I have watched some point and click playthroughs on youtube, like still life 2, puzzle agent, and the black mirror.
So I was thinking it'd need to have a good story and puzzles that aren't really out there, but what do I know?

EDIT: woops, just realised I posted in the wrong thread, can a mod move it to the adventure section or is it still fine here?

Can't go wrong with Broken Sword 1 (not any of the sequels).
As others have said, don't play the DC.
I think BS2 is surprisingly retarded for what looks to be a straight sequel with a new story but it took me a while to catch onto that so you might like it. BS3 is garbage, too.

wyes gull

Savant
Try "Nightlong:Union City Conspiracy" it is not hard game and has good atmosphere.
Goddamn, hadn't heard that name in a long while. By memory, the lead girl had glasses that looked like rosy cheeks in the box art. Let's google it.
184647-nightlong-union-city-conspiracy-windows-front-cover.jpg

Damn, can't remember what I had for dinner yesterday and yet shit like this...

funkadelik

Arcane
e4d015cc8657f25cdf55e1fcdb545a8b74987be9.jpg

Yeah its a kid's game, but it's fun.

hqdefault.jpg

Play that if you want a harder game later on. That shit was all the rage in the 90s. Even my fucking grandma who had 56k dial-up internet until 2010 played that in the 90s.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom